Awoo.

Anyone out there with shameful Sonic-related secrets?

As someone who was born in just the right time to enjoy both classic and modern styles and has the right temperment when it comes to video games, I am sick of this gang warfare bullshit between classic and modern(and now Adventure). While modern fans have always been less beligerent than the other, it gets annoying when one bashes the other on the basis of prefering the other. I am also sick of the need of abolishing one thing all together in favor for another and then calling the fans of the "opposing" series dumb and creating some schism that one fan has to engage in tribalism. Fuck you, guys, I want to enjoy the game for what it is.

Here is my dirty little secret. I enjoy every style that Sonic has to offer equally. I know. It is rare. I don't expect elements of one style bleeding into another. In fact, I honestly believe all three should tweek or fix some things. Classic Sonic style should have clearly defined attributes that set characters apart. If Sonic can only run, he better damn well be fastest or most subsceptiple to physics than Tails or Knuckles. And don't give me that bullshit that they were different because ther weren't. Tails was just Sonic who could fly and Knuckles was just a recolored Sonic with the ability to glide and climb. Fuck the shields! Modern Sonic could benefit with opening up a bit more. Adventure Sonic...get rid of genre roulette, heavy emphasis of speed boosters, cinematic events; and if the last adventure styled games are go by,make the controls less tight and "again" make Sonic faster. Sonic shopuldn't be having a hard time racing Sonic guy dammit.

• Thumbs Up 3

So now we hate the classics? Ok then.

Anyway, while I do still love Sonic 3 & Knuckles as my favorite game in the series, its not because of nostalgia, its because it was a truly well put together game that pretty much defined Sonic for me; Lots of zones, creative level designs, rewards for special stages. That however doesn't mean I hate everything after 1994 though, and those who do need to grow the fuck up and move on, I understand most of the 3D games can't hold a candle to the classics, but people need to stop treating everything NOT 2D as an abomination, its fucking annoying and its probably the reason Sega are so damn timid when making games nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 1

When a friend walks in and sees you playing Sonic Colors, and they want to play games like CoD: Black Ops, it can be a bit shameful.

And I also enjoyed Shadow The Hedgehog, alot.

Edited by GamingMisfit
  • Thumbs Up 1

Since when has more loops ever been an inherent positive? Loops do absolutely nothing for gameplay. =/

When a friend walks in and sees you playing Sonic Colors, and they want to play games like CoD: Black Ops, it can be a bit shameful.

• Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: Loops do absolutely nothing for the Gameplay to YOU.

They give me a sense of speed and momentum, and makes me wish I could actually run that fast. It just overall gives me a good feeling going throug a loop.

But hey, you don't like loops, then you don't like loops. Fine.

What is the point of clarifying that my opinion is indeed an opinion?

Anyway, what was once an excuse to show off the technical fidelity of the games and actually give the player a bit of speed coming out of them has, in light of Sonic's overwhelming foot speed, turned into an anachronistic landscape piece at best and an automated anachronistic landscape piece at worst. I guess I can use this as an excuse to say another shameful belief: I have no real love of loops. If anything, my tendency to want to go as fast as possible makes an obstacle that does nothing but send me in a circle nowadays patently annoying. =P

I like loops.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, some people find loops important to gameplay, some don't... either way, let's not turn it into a bickerfest over here. (If you like you can make a topic about the importance/non-importance of loops in relation to gameplay standard =P)

As for people who like both classic and modern, I don't think it's THAT rare. I like a pretty solid mixture of old and new, and a pretty solid mix of games that reviewed well and poorly. I'd say my favourite Sonic games are: Sonic 2, Sonic 3&K, Sonic Shuffle, Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Sonic Spinball, Sonic R, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2's battle mode (only), Sonic Heroes, Sonic Rush, and Sonic Colours. My absolute favourites would probably be Sonic 3&K, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Heroes and Sonic Rush, in terms of how much I enjoyed them and how long I spent on them.

I know what you mean, however that one is not exclusive to Sonic since many of those "gamers" pretty much look down upon other classics like Mario... Until you pass them the controller and challenge them to finish the games, task at which many tuimes they fail, then I take over and pull off flawless speedruns, making them respect and appretiate the old games instead of judging them for the "kiddy" characters.

I just did that a couple of days a go, a friend of mine wanted to play halo reach and i was playing sonic unleashed and he started making jokes about me and the game until a challenged him to do the act 2 of apotos without dying and after a couple of tries he give up, and did in one time with an S and he just stood there quietly.

• Thumbs Up 1

I admittedly like both classic and modern stuff (with some preference of classic), but I can't help but feel sick to my stomach hearing that the Advance games (specifically 3) is better than the classics. Eww, what? I mean, yeah, opinions and all, but the gameplay and aesthetic to all the Sadv games to me look and play like utter trash in comparison. Hearing someone state the classics as "soulless" also bothers me. It may have been in a different style than the modern outings, but that doesn't mean it's soulless by any means. It's full of personality. Same goes with comparing the classics to the modern titles.

• Thumbs Up 2

A good Sonic game is a good Sonic game no matters which era it was made, that's my philosophy. I'll play any game the Sonic team throws at me and judge it for myself no matter how much bad press it gets as you never know what your opinion truly is until you've tried it yourself.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, I'm not sure if I have any personal Sonic secrets (or at least any I'd be willing to share), but if I could share one shameful Sonic related secret, it's embarrasing to me that to this day, I still cannot get past the second stage in any of the classic games except Sonic 2. It took me 8 years to beat Chemical Plant Zone alone.

That's not shameful.

I mean, sure it took me less time, but I was still wondering who the hell had the bright idea of using a designated fourth zone as a first zone. It's tediously hard for being first. :/

I really enjoyed Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) and would glady replay it a third time.

One, just one, but it's particularly embarrassing, I promise! :P

I have never made it past Marble Zone Act 2 on the first Sonic the Hedgehog game. And I don't mean that like I never could as a kid. I mean I never have as in my last try was about 10 minutes ago. I always just watch someone else play past Marble Zone. I blame that Zone for why I hate lava levels in games before I even try them.

Edited by Matt

It took me months to get past marble zone act 3, then even longer for Labyrinth zone act 3, and then about as long as Marble zone for all of scrap brain.

It took me weeks to get past chemical plant act 2, and months for wing fortress and death egg

It took me months to get past the wall of death in hydrocity act 2 (though I easily passed the rest of the game...yes even the barrel. To this day I cannot understand why people had such a hard time with it)

It took me months to get past mushroom hill, yes, MUSHROOM HILL, but I didn't struggle with the rest of the game too much until I got to that FUCKING DEATH EGG!

Even though I had a pretty easy time with Sonic Adventure, I simply quit Sonic Adventure 2 for the longest time because those treasure hunting levels put me to sleep.

I had the hardest time with Sonic Heroes! But I loved it.

I had a very easy time with Sonic 06 and even though I just found most of the game pretty boring rather than frustrating I actually had few moments where I though "hey this is pretty cool"

I ragequit Unleashed for months for trying to boost all the time to win on my first few tries. IT JUST DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT AND ANYBODY WHO SAYS SO HAS NEVER PLAYED PAST MAZURI

I think Sonic Colors is the best Sonic game since the genesis days...wait, that's not shameful :D

I was a hardcore defender of SOnic 4 when the delay was announced...only feel ashamed afterward

Well that's my story. I guess that's why I play Sonic games :)

Edited by Gartocer
  • Thumbs Up 1

It took me months to get past mushroom hill, yes, MUSHROOM HILL, but I didn't struggle with the rest of the game too much until I got to that FUCKING DEATH EGG!

Mushroom Hill Zone is the first zone in S&K, isn't it? What about that stage that made you stuggle so much? The whole stage is pretty easy.

It might be act 2? I found it a little harder than act 1 and had some trouble when I was much younger.

Mushroom Hill Zone is the first zone in S&K, isn't it? What about that stage that made you stuggle so much? The whole stage is pretty easy.

I guess I just sucked at the classics at the time. I first played them in the mega collection after Heroes and the adventure titles. I don't know what it was about the stage, I just sucked at it and it was a miracle if I got to the boss. I decided to not touch it again until I beat Sonic 1,2,3 and about a year or so later I did and came back to S&K and beat Mushroom Hill without any problems until I got to death egg. That's why I put the classics at the top of the list, they give you that sense of accomplishment that no other Sonic game can seem to do.

I guess I'll add on to the shameful secrets here!

When I finished the Hero side of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, I refused to play the Dark side for a year and half just because I had this type of thinking that I never wanted to be on the dark side..... Silly me. I was only 11 at the time so cut me some slack. :P

I went back when I was 12 or 13, and I was like "I need to finish this game." And I'm glad I did it, because it made enjoy the Sonic franchise even more. So basically it took me 3 years to finally beat the game. ha

That's my two cents! :D

Okay, I need to clear this up first before I ask you this. I don't mean to insult, I hope it doesn't come out that way, and I'm not poking fun. I'm seriously asking this cerealy, and I really want to know-

Were you just jumping at a joke, or were you serious about that?

I'm not joking. You know the bit at the very end with the falling platforms? That bit, I wasted some many lives on that bit and I feel like an idiot as I type this. I'm halfway through Blaze's and Sonic's gameplay now

Speaking of Sonic Rush being hard, I could never completely beat Sonic Rush, because Bomber Barbara (or whatever the boss was called, I can only remember the name of the song) was hard as holy shitfuck. The only reason I even know the ending is because I looked up a run of the final boss on Youtube :X

And you know what, the final boss actually looked much EASIER than Bomber Barbara. >_<

Edited by Raxz