Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Rare employees can wish to be their old selves as much as they want but that ain't gonna make it happen. They're Microsoft's bitches, even if they all quit, Microsoft would still own the company "Rare" and the rights to Banjo.

To be honest the closest we're ever gonna get is if the old peeps get together and make this a thing. It won't be a Banjo game but it's actually possible and more likely.. only problem is they need a money to make a game!!

Rare employees can wish to be their old selves as much as they want but that ain't gonna make it happen. They're Microsoft's bitches, even if they all quit, Microsoft would still own the company "Rare" and the rights to Banjo.

To be honest the closest we're ever gonna get is if the old peeps get together and make this a thing. It won't be a Banjo game but it's actually possible and more likely.. only problem is they need a money to make a game!!

The article said former Rare employees, so they are no longer at Rare. Heck, none of the original people are at Rare anymore.

And Wario stated it best in regards to the M$/Rare IP thing in thread (which I'll probably bump for relevance):

Just give them the rights to Banjo, Microsoft. It's not like you're fucking doing anything worthwhile with him.

Edited by Weegee

Technology or concept? Because I'm sure ASRT's slot machine would count as the same concept.

I don't know about the more recent ones. But doesn't Mortal Kombat also do something like this during it's loading screens?

Yeah I'm pretty sure that almost the whole "Rare team" has left Rare anyway, so they couldn't work on Banjo anyway even if they did work for Nintendo again.

Still, you gotta remember that Nintendo didn't treat Rare that well either. Miyamoto hated or interfered with half of their projects and actively fought against them with his own games.

Microsoft wouldn't give Nintendo the rights to Banjo, it's an asset that could be used against them.

It's like MS' rules on games and patches, if MS can have it, no one else can have it until MS has it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that almost the whole "Rare team" has left Rare anyway, so they couldn't work on Banjo anyway even if they did work for Nintendo again.

Still, you gotta remember that Nintendo didn't treat Rare that well either. Miyamoto hated or interfered with half of their projects and actively fought against them with his own games.

Microsoft wouldn't give Nintendo the rights to Banjo, it's an asset that could be used against them.

It's like MS' rules on games and patches, if MS can have it, no one else can have it until MS has it.

Might I ask why did he do that? Were they overshadowing his own games or something?

Yeah, I read about the whole story on how the N64 Dinosaur Planet was converted to the GC Starfox Adventures if only because the protagonist looked like Fox.

And Microsoft? Generous? That's funny. If I recall correctly many rumors keep echoing the same story that MS's next-gen game console will need to be always online and will cockblock secondhand consoles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I read about the whole story on how the N64 Dinosaur Planet was converted to the GC Starfox Adventures if only because the protagonist looked like Fox.

And Microsoft? Generous? That's funny. If I recall correctly many rumors keep echoing the same story that MS's next-gen game console will need to be always online and will cockblock secondhand consoles.

I think you mean games there buddy. 

Also, it's probably not good to trust rumors until Microsoft officially speaks out. 

Might I ask why did he do that? Were they overshadowing his own games or something?

At one point yeah, apparently Nintendo were pressuring Miyamoto to make his games look like Donkey Kong Country, so Miyamoto disliked DKC and the characters in it; he made Yoshi's Island in protest of the new visual style.

It's ironic, because recent Mario games have very uninspired visual styles; but I digress.

He also went to see their work on Dinosaur Planet, and "joked" that the protagonist looked like a copy of Fox and said it should be a StarFox game instead. And eventually.. Rare did do that, pushing Krystal into a damsel in distress role and cutting out half of the game's content (ever wonder why the game's finale seemed so stunted?)

EDIT: EDGE mag are pretty reliable and they say the rumours are true but I also won't believe em til Microsoft reveals. However even then, their console rules are ridiculous. They're the reason Rayman Legends was delayed too.

Edited by SuperLink

At one point yeah, apparently Nintendo were pressuring Miyamoto to make his games look like Donkey Kong Country, so Miyamoto disliked DKC and the characters in it; he made Yoshi's Island in protest of the new visual style.

It's ironic, because recent Mario games have very uninspired visual styles; but I digress.

Well, to be fair, DKC1-3's visuals aged horribly. You can't really say the same for the recent Mario games or Yoshi's Island. :P Though they were actually trying with NSMBU.

He also went to see their work on Dinosaur Planet, and "joked" that the protagonist looked like a copy of Fox and said it should be a StarFox game instead. And eventually.. Rare did do that, pushing Krystal into a damsel in distress role and cutting out half of the game's content (ever wonder why the game's finale seemed so stunted?)

Irony: Dinosaur Planet was the last Nintendo game that Rare ever worked on before moving on to Microsoft. Dinosaur Planet, if had still been an original IP, would be stone dead right now. Krystal is now basically a core character in the Star Fox series, Dinosaur Planet (renamed Sauria) appeared in Assault as a stage, and Tricky got an appearance in a cutscene. So, yeah, ironically it ended up being for the best overall.

And the game's finale was probably stunted due to time, Fox was supposed to fight General Scales properly and get assistance from Falco in that fight.

Well, to be fair, DKC1-3's visuals aged horribly.

B-but...they look totally fine.....:(

They don't look terrible, but they don't look nearly as good as Yoshi's Island or even Super Mario World anymore. Especially the first game.

I still say that Yoshi's Island was the best use of the Super FX chip. Glad they went with Super FX rather than using the pre-rendering thing that DKC had going for it.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Dinosaur Planet looked so much better than SFA it wasn't even funny, Krystal's hardly a "core character" in StarFox compared to how she was going to be in DP, she's now just a furry bait Peppy replacement without a personality. But I digress, the StarFox series would not have suffered at all if Dino Planet was finished in its original iteration, the series would be stone cold, but Rare would have one final jaw-dropping title to its name as a swansong rather than a game many people consider embarrassing. (I liked SFA, but I would have preferred DP; I bet Rare would have too.)

• Thumbs Up 3

I really don't see how the DKC games' visuals have aged terribly. They're still top on the ladder in terms of games with pre-rendered graphics. It's one of the few games that has managed to make those kind of graphics work consistently, and trumped a ton of games going into even the N64 and PSX.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really don't see how the DKC games' visuals have aged terribly. They're still top on the ladder in terms of games with pre-rendered graphics. It's one of the few games that has managed to make those kind of graphics work consistently, and trumped a ton of games going into even the N64 and PSX.

Vectorman was on par as well in the pre-rendered graphics, but thats not entirely the point here....

DonkeyKong 64 was great

Dinosaur Planet looked so much better than SFA it wasn't even funny, Krystal's hardly a "core character" in StarFox compared to how she was going to be in DP, she's now just a furry bait Peppy replacement without a personality. But I digress, the StarFox series would not have suffered at all if Dino Planet was finished in its original iteration, the series would be stone cold, but Rare would have one final jaw-dropping title to its name as a swansong rather than a game many people consider embarrassing. (I liked SFA, but I would have preferred DP; I bet Rare would have too.)

And who's to say Dinosaur Planet would've been that much better in its original iteration? It still had Tricky, and it was still very much an OOT clone, and it wouldn't have had SFA's groundbreaking visuals, which are still impressive today. SFA only suffered because Rare got bought out by MS, forcing them to rush it, and the studio was already beginning to show signs of deterioration.

Also, you're severely underestimating Krystal's importance as part of the post-Adventures Star Fox cast, considering literally half of Command's narrative revolves around her and Fox's relationship.

... Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Retro's mystery game was a complete redo of Adventures. That would actually be bloody awesome, and ironic, considering they're practically the 'new Rare'. Considering 64 was remade on the 3DS, it wouldn't be the first time that the SF timeline has been redone, and Command kinda painted the series canon into a corner, whoopsie. It's either that, or start a new game in the middle of Command, or pretend that game didn't happen entirely.

Alright, lemme re-iterate what I meant - DKC, as far as prerendered graphics in games go back then, was probably the cream of the crop. Unfortunately, that's not saying much. It hasn't aged as badly as other prerendered games, but it still hasn't aged gracefully by any means.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

And who's to say Dinosaur Planet would've been that much better in its original iteration? It still had Tricky, and it was still very much an OOT clone, and it wouldn't have had SFA's groundbreaking visuals, which are still impressive today. SFA only suffered because Rare got bought out by MS, forcing them to rush it, and the studio was already beginning to show signs of deterioration.

The original game was far bigger with a much better story, the visuals would have been the same if they hadn't been forced to change the cast, it was going to GC eventually anyway, and generally game companies don't get bought out unless there's a level of agreement between all parties. Rare (obviously) felt pressured under Nintendo, how Nintendo treated DP was just the icing on the cake. Nintendo probably hated Rare more after Bad Fur Day, they were glad to get rid of them. This ain't all on Microsoft.

Also, you're severely underestimating Krystal's importance as part of the post-Adventures Star Fox cast, considering literally half of Command's narrative revolves around her and Fox's relationship.

She doesn't have anything to underestimate, no one is going to pretend that anything in Command was well-written or particularly endearing. Their relationship has always been embarrassing and forced at best. Literally any female Fox could have the same treatment, there is nothing special or unique about Krystal at all anymore.

... Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Retro's mystery game was a complete redo of Adventures. That would actually be bloody awesome, and ironic, considering they're practically the 'new Rare'. Considering 64 was remade on the 3DS, it wouldn't be the first time that the SF timeline has been redone, and Command kinda painted the series canon into a corner, whoopsie. It's either that, or start a new game in the middle of Command, or pretend that game didn't happen entirely.

I gotta say I'd be definitely ok with that, however I'm sure a lot of people would rather Retro were working on something new and really impressive.

From what I hear, ignoring at least most of Command is the stance Nintendo has taken officially anyway. A new title would not follow on from the game's ending...whichever one was supposed to be right. 

Edited by VEDJ-F
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey you guys, I remembered something I put this over in the sucessor to banjo kazooie thread, but it should also go here

Also, you cant get a true sequel on xbox, for the same reason nuts and boltz didnt work. RARE and microsoft own the characters, however Nintendo owns the gameplay. Thus why N&B had to be so radicly different. So technicly, Nintendo could do a game that includes all the gameplay mechanisms from the first two BK games, just not the characters. Its kinda complicated.

Essentialy, I cant entirely remember where I heard this, but it would mean that Nintendo could use all the unique gameplay elements, just none of the characters. Interesting thought right?

I'd say 3D Blast and Toy Story aged a hell of a lot better than the original DKC.

It's hardly Sonic Blast, but it's no AoF 3 either. The colors used (brown and green ALL things!) and how they translate to modern TV hookups really don't help, plus DKC always had shitty gameplay anyway.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey you guys, I remembered something I put this over in the sucessor to banjo kazooie thread, but it should also go here

Also, you cant get a true sequel on xbox, for the same reason nuts and boltz didnt work. RARE and microsoft own the characters, however Nintendo owns the gameplay. Thus why N&B had to be so radicly different. So technicly, Nintendo could do a game that includes all the gameplay mechanisms from the first two BK games, just not the characters. Its kinda complicated.

Essentialy, I cant entirely remember where I heard this, but it would mean that Nintendo could use all the unique gameplay elements, just none of the characters. Interesting thought right?

It was debunked in that thread too, but...Nintendo don't own the collectathon concept. That would be ridiculous. They just wanted to try something else for Nuts & Bolts is all. That'd be like someone patenting a racing game or a 2D fighter.