Awoo.

General Nintendo sales/business discussion topic (previously: The Wii U Thread)

Tatsumaki

Isn't a Mario sidescroller confirmed to be coming to the 3DS later this year? With that in mind, I don't think it would be very wise to release another on the Wii U if it is indeed a launch title, at least in terms of sales. Of course, maybe the two games would connect ala Smash Bros, but we'll see.

I mean hell, isn't it possible that "Super Mario 4" (if it even exists) could refer to 4th 3D Mario title? I know we had Galaxy 2, but if it were a totally new and original 3D title, it might count. 64 >> Sunshine >> Galaxy1/2 >> ???

Of course, this is all conjecture. Look forward to seeing how things play out in June.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the article confirmed a "new Super Mario Bros game" not "New Super Mario Bros for Wii-U", or did I read it wrong.

Edited by Ringo ~

Yeah, pretty sure the article didn't say anything about it being Side-scrolling.

And it's a "new Super Mario Bros. game", and totally not a "NEW Super Mario Bros. game"

I could most certianly be one, yes. However, the article never stated it was one.

Isn't a Mario sidescroller confirmed to be coming to the 3DS later this year? With that in mind, I don't think it would be very wise to release another on the Wii U if it is indeed a launch title, at least in terms of sales. Of course, maybe the two games would connect ala Smash Bros, but we'll see.

I mean hell, isn't it possible that "Super Mario 4" (if it even exists) could refer to 4th 3D Mario title? I know we had Galaxy 2, but if it were a totally new and original 3D title, it might count. 64 >> Sunshine >> Galaxy1/2 >> ???

Of course, this is all conjecture. Look forward to seeing how things play out in June.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the article confirmed a "new Super Mario Bros game" not "New Super Mario Bros for Wii-U", or did I read it wrong.

I heard that the window for release of Mario 2d 3ds could be anywhere from E3 up until March 2012. So if anything the Wii U Mario is a launch title and the new Mario 3ds is released next year. That and its is two different systems. Also that didn't stop NSMBWii and Galaxy 2 from begin released one after another ( seperated by a few months.) and to your edit. That answer was in regards to a question about the Wii U

A new Mario game to be shown at e3 for the WiiU? Even though Stevie Wonder could have saw that coming, I'm always game for more Mario. Glad to hear Miyamoto still busy with Pikmin 3 as well... And there better be something shown at that conference for this game!

Yeah, that's cool and all, but I've never personally witnessed Nintendo launch a console with a brand new 1st party IP.

Don't you think its time that they did?

Well, there was Wii Sports. Also, Steel Diver was a launch title for the 3DS...

Edited by YoshiUnity.exe

It bugs me that Sonic Rivals can be a gorgeous (albeit with rather shallow gameplay) 2.5D game that SEGA cared so little about that they outsourced it a company that usually ports games for them yet Nintendo's console selling flagship series gets absolutely zero creativity or effort pumped into it whatsoever. Pre-rendered graphics? SERIOUSLY??

A Mario game in the same style as Rivals or Generations Classic gameplay would be fantasic, shame that Nintendo wouldn't dare add the .5 to the 2D Mario formula. It's confusing that the Galaxy series was created with imaginative gameplay in mind yet it's 2D counterpart couldn't be further from it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pikmin 3 confirmed to be at E3

http://gonintendo.co...story&id=175664

"In a recent interview, Mr. Miyamoto confirmed that a new Pikmin game will be shown at the E3 Expo in June. He believes that anyone who has played Pikmin games in the past will enjoy playing."
Edited by YoshiUnity.exe
  • Thumbs Up 1

People still expect Nintendo to put effort into NSMB-esque games? After Miyamoto, when asked why they cared so little about the Wii game that they Copy->Pasted generic Toad-like characters to pad out the roster, responded basically by laughing about it?

That kind of surprises me.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3

New A new Super Mario Bros. Game?

Well hopefully they don't screw up this time... :V

EDIT: Fix'd to make it more clear. Galaxy 2 and 3D Land were both quite lame and uninspired...

Edited by Egg-Nega-Wooly

A new Super Mario Bros game =/= a New Super Mario Bros game.

Nintendo's launching a new console this year, makes sense to me that we'll see the next installment in the main Super Mario series (I.E. A follow up to the Super Mario Galaxy games). A big, pretty,3D, HD Mario game is exactly what Nintendo needs to show off the Wii U.

A next-gen Metroid game would also be a pretty cool way to show off what the console is capable of.

Edited by Spooky Mulder

New Super Mario Bros. Game?

Well hopefully they don't screw up this time... :V

Despite it still looking kinda plasticky, I thought NSMBW was really fun, much more than the really easy DS version, even when you weren't murdering your friends in coop.

The problem with NSMB is that it's Mario, and not really anything else, just Mario. I can't really be fussed to care about another one, because the last one, while decent fun, was basically just a retread of SMB3 and World (but with a much less awesome overwold, c'mon Nintnedo make another game with as many secrets as World), that just happened to have four players. And the fact the graphics and soundtrack were pretty much ripped straight out of the DS game just made the whole thing feel amazingly half-assed, especially when sandwiched in between the two Galaxy games, and compared to other side-scrollers that came after it this gen like Donkey Kong Country Returns and Rayman Origins.

I'd kill for a 2D side-scrolling Mario that truly evolved from World, with the production values of Galaxy. Seems like Nintendo only likes to devote their effort to 3D Mario games though. Though seeing how good those tend to be, I really can't complain.

As far as the new Wii U Mario is concerned, I do believe it'll be a 3D game. Iwata confirmed that there's a 2D game coming to the 3DS in this fiscal year, so I doubt Nintendo want two overly similar games in a similar time frame eating up each others' sales, especially with a brand new console and a fairly new handheld to sell.

And if there's anyone who can really show us what the Wii U is made of, it's Nintendo EAD, so I'm excite. Galaxy can stand up against a lot of games for the HD twins, in terms of simply being pleasant to look at it, so I'd love to see what they're capable of with HD.

EDIT: Well, shit...

http://kotaku.com/5902458/nintendos-bringing-new-wii-u-pikmin-and-mario-to-e3

Based on NSMB Mii tech demo. Please tell me it got a massive overhaul, but I highly doubt it.

Edited by Chili Dawg
  • Thumbs Up 2

http://kotaku.com/59...and-mario-to-e3

This makes two things clear,

1. Pikmin 3 will be shown at this E3. Whether it will be playable or not, is unconfirmed. but at least we'll finally get to see the game

2. Also confirmed, the new Super Mario Bros. game for the Wii-U will be based off the tech demo shown last year....so yeah.....NSMB with Mii's..

Edited by Jack Slate

I will bet all my vitural money that the tech demo is the planned New Mario game for Wii U. This same scenario played out for Luigi's Manison. It was a tech demo turn into a full game.

So were is my virtual money, since I won the bet.

To be really honest, I wasn't wow'd by New Super Mario Bros Mii like I was when I first played New Super Mario Bros Wii at Gamestop. Plus let's hope that it gets a name change because all signs point to player 1 still having to be Mario so it defeats the purpose of tooting the Mii in the title.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think I'll wait till they release games I actually give a damn about like Fire Emblem and Metroid, or Paper Mario

My mistake with the 3DS was that I bought it when Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion 2 were announced. Should've waited till they were actually released. Not making that mistake again.

So it is Super Mario 4?

“We have Mario team in company, so we are making Super Mario 4. But only I can say is, we just announced that game. More details will be revealed later.”

- Shigeru Miyamoto

If it is, then what does it actually mean for the series? I mean Mario games are kinda of Mario games regardless of number. It's not like they haven't return to 2D gameplay before (New Super Mario Bros anyone?). Either way, it's bound to be a really tight and almost bug-free experience. Mario games never disappoint unless we're looking at sports spin-offs.

Kind of cool to see where this game fits into the timeline ( yes I know there is no defined time line but I like to see the games as a progression of a time line.). I don't think that this is the Wii U game though cause Miyamoto would have said so, I think this is the 3DS game.

Super Mario World will always be known as Super Mario Bros.4 to me (and Japan)

But I'm interested,, by the name alone it sounds like they're going back to the Mario Bros. 3 style, or (even better) World style.

They've done SMB 3 styling enough with the likes of Galaxy 1+2 and 3D. I certainly wouldn't mind if they finally moved onto World.

Something ain't adding up here... There's no Super Mario 1-3. There's just a Super Mario BROS 1-3. However, the domain was just supermario4, and Miyamoto has apparently referred to the game as such (though what exactly Miyamoto said is a little iffy since there's translation and stuff to take into account).

Now, why would any successor to these games drop Bros from the title? It wouldn't. A lot of people just refer to the games as Super Mario 1,2,3 but that's not what they're called, and I don't see Nintendo making a Bros game without the word Bros. Not to mention, Super Mario World is Super Mario Bros 4, even if it's not in name in the West, it is a successor to Super Mario Bros 3. As is New Super Mario Bros, kind of. A successor to Super Mario Bros known as Mario 4 would be incredibly redundant, when we already have several games that fit the bill. It's like making a Sonic Adventure 3 when Heroes and 06 already exist.

However, it's been pointed out that we do have a Mario series that is just "Super Mario," kind of. The 3D games.

Super Mario 64

Super Mario Sunshine

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario 4?

Of course, technically there isn't a Super Mario 1-3 here, but look at how they just handled Mario Kart's naming.

Super Mario Kart

Mario Kart 64

Mario Kart Super Circuit

Mario Kart Double Dash

Mario Kart DS

Mario Kart Wii

Mario Kart 7

Could Nintendo pull the same type of naming scheme to the 3D "Super Mario" series as they did to Mario Kart? And I know there's also Galaxy 2, but that'd be more of a Super Mario 3.5, since, as majestic as it is, it's not the next, big, new thing like 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1 were.

BUT, Nintendo also said they had something to show based on the prototype from last year. New Super Mario Bros Mii. Could this have turned into a "Super Mario 4?" Doubt it, the name would make no sense, though it wouldn't be the first time a 4 was stuck at the end of a platformer title where it didn't belong.

Could it be that Nintendo has a 2D and a 3D Mario to show at E3? Wouldn't be the first time, NSMB Wii and Galaxy 2 were announced within minutes of each other. So is it possible then that Nintendo will be showing Super Mario 4 and New Super Mario Bros Mii? I could see NSMBM coming for launch, with Super Mario 4 sometime next year. HOWEVER, something still smells more than a little fishy. One Mr. Saturo Iwata confirmed earlier in the year that a 2D side-scrolling Mario would be coming at some point in this fiscal year. The best time to release such a game would be right around the Holidays, but that would also be right around the time of the Wii U's launch! How can Nintendo use 2D Mario to sell people Wii Us if they can play 2D Mario already on their 3DS. Prettier graphics sure as hell won't do it if they're gonna go for NSMB style again.

Could this 3DS game be something a bit different then? Something that's not quite as typical standard Mario fare as NSMB?

Or perhaps NSMB Mii isn't planned to be a launch title. But the way such a game would take such minimal effort, I can't see it not being ready, and launching with Mario would pretty much guarantee success to the console.

There's also of course taking into account that fiscal year doesn't mean calendar year.... The 3DS game could launch any time until April 1, '13. They could save that for the Winter of 13 to let NSMB Mii sell some Wii U systems for the Holidays, but even then that's cuttin' more than a little close.

There's also the possibility there doing what Sakurai's been talking about for the next Smash Bros where they release two games for the two systems that are related, but again, for the launch of the new system what they really need to do is sell units, and having an incredibly similar game on the 3DS isn't going to do that.

Nintendo gonna have some explaining to do this E3... What exactly does Super Mario 4 entail? What will 2D Mario be up to on the 3DS? Will NSMB Mii really essentially the Wii game in HD (which is essentially the DS game on a TV), with Miis thrown in? Could all or some of these games actually be the same thing? The answes lie with this man...

090107_reggie.jpg

(this picture will never stop being hilarious).

How is it I can write all this shit speculating about stupid video games but the idea of writing two sentences for a paper I have due soon is genuinely impossible for me?

Uh...you know Super Mario 3D Land just came out right? That kinda defeats a bit of your theory there.

Another NSMB game? I really hope that Nintendo doesn't recycle the same music, graphics, and level tropes again or this will just come off as extremely lazy.

Uh...you know Super Mario 3D Land just came out right? That kinda defeats a bit of your theory there.

However, it's been pointed out that we do have a Mario series that is just "Super Mario," kind of. The 3D games.

Super Mario 64

Super Mario Sunshine

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Mario 4?

Of course, technically there isn't a Super Mario 1-3 here, but look at how they just handled Mario Kart's naming.

Super Mario Kart

Mario Kart 64

Mario Kart Super Circuit

Mario Kart Double Dash

Mario Kart DS

Mario Kart Wii

Mario Kart 7

Could Nintendo pull the same type of naming scheme to the 3D "Super Mario" series as they did to Mario Kart? And I know there's also Galaxy 2, but that'd be more of a Super Mario 3.5, since, as majestic as it is, it's not the next, big, new thing like 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1 were.

Edited by Jack Slate