Awoo.

Dimps

thatguyfrom03

To say Dimps has been an a losing streak, would be a commonly accepted statement. Sonic Unleashed Wii, Sonic 4, and arguably Sonic Generations 3DS. I know that I'm jumping waaaaay ahead of myself with that one. I'm not exactly throwing it under the bus from a gameplay perspective. It looks relatively solid and unoffensive. But I don't like it for the same reason I didn't like Sonic 4, even moreso than the physics: It just looks so...uninspired.

!!FANGASM ALERT!!

I used to love Dimps games. I thought Advance 2 and 3 were the best things since sliced bread when I first played them. I already know their flaws, but they just had so much life in them. The characters' animations and personalities, the music, the art direction and just the general feel of the games were great. While I wasn't a fan of the first Advance game, Sonic Advance 2 was the first Sonic game after Sega went third party that I fell in love with. It was a fresh interpretation of Sonic that finally let Sonic reach his acclaimed supersonic speed. It also had

Loved Sonic Advance 3 as well when it came out. Super Sonic/Eggman Hadouken? Too much win. Plus it had
see a pattern?

I could write for days about how much I love the Rush series. Giving supersonic speed to the player at the press of a button, tricks, 3D bosses, the a good new character in Blaze, and Hideki Naganuma on the OST. It didn't have the detailed sprites of the Advance games, but that game had more style than any Sonic game in a while. The fan hype surrounding that game and seeing the reviews come in was one of my greatest moments as a fan. I think its a shame its been thrown under the bus since Sonic 4 came out using the same engine. I think a lot of the Rush hate stems from the fact that it served as the direction of the series since Unleashed, rather than the fun arcady diversion I think it was meant to be.

TL;DR HOW I FEEL ABOUT DIMPS. I think the problem stems from Dimps being Sonic Team's bitch. I remember when they weren't even credited on the boxes for their Sonic games. They got the critically renowned Rush, so Sonic Team was like "ok we'll use this style from now on kthnx. Oh by the way make a low budget 3D counterpart for our HD game. No 3D Sonic experience or guidelines necessary. We'll slap your name on it too." Hence Unleashed. Because of Dimps good 2d track record, Sonic Team just kinda tossed them up to do Sonic 4. Why they didn't use SADV1 as the base, I'll never know, but it still would not have lived up to the Genesis games. Now we have 3DS. Like Sonic 4, it just has no real style or charisma to it that drew me in like Advance series and Rush, and the gameplay, no matter how solid, cannot live up to the classics. I know this is super negative, and I hate being that guy, but its just the direction I've seen a company I once loved head into. The faux Genesis style isn't working. For the next game, Dimps needs to find it's own style again. Sorry for the long winded post, but this is something I've needed to express for a while, and I'll be taking a break from the forum relatively soon. FEEL FREE TO STATE WHERE YOU STAND ON DIMPS!

son2good-22.png

• Thumbs Up 3

I wish they'd make a Street Fighter game that made sense. I don't think there's a single combo that doesn't involve one frame links. TBH, I could probably play 3rd Strike till the end of time.

I'm pretty sure that Wave Master handled the music in the Rush games as per usual.

I'm kind of sick of all this Dimps hate. It seemed that no one had any problems with them till they did Sonic 4 Epidode 1. That's when all the Dimps bashing started.

They have done some good Sonic games and some not so good Sonic games. But I think that the amount of bashing that they get is unfair.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I commend DIMPS for making great Sonic titles for handhelds during Sonic's "dark age" on consoles. I love Sonic Advance 1 in particular due to its similarities with the classics. I also like how nowadays they seem to have started creating 2-D, Rush-style handheld versions of Sonic's big 3-D adventures, and I hope that they continue to do so. And while I will admit that using the Rush engine for it was a mistake, Sonic 4: Episode I rather impressed me, especially when I first played it since it was the first time in a long while that I could say that I found a main console Sonic to be genuinely good. (Although YMMV. By a lot.)

So, yeah, in short, I like DIMPS.

Edited by T-Man

I'm still willing to give Dimps another chance with Sonic 4 Episode 2. They were the ones that kept Sonic alive throughout the last decade. If they fail Sonic 4 again, however, I'll be done with them. I'll just wait for Retro Sonic Nexus to come out and pretend that's Sonic 4.

I thought Rush were alright, even then I had problems with the physics though, and I'm absolutely tired of the now overused Rush style of gameplay, it was alright for two games but that was it.

I can't entirely hate Dimps, since I really loved the Rushes and Colors DS, but the rest of what they've done recently has been really disappointing. If they can go back to doing their own thing they might be worth keeping around, otherwise it's probably time to cut them off.

Mediocore, cept Rush Adventure.

However I don't see too much problem with the Wii Unleashed Daytime stages like some other people here, they were pretty good. Not much worse than Advance 2,Advance 3 and Rush imo...and if anything I actually liked Sonic 4 and Colors DS more than the stuff mentioned earlier too.

I can't entirely hate Dimps, since I really loved the Rushes and Colors DS, but the rest of what they've done recently has been really disappointing. If they can go back to doing their own thing they might be worth keeping around, otherwise it's probably time to cut them off.

Edited by ChikaBoing

I love Dimps for the advance, and rush series. Plus I'm not that mad at them and are willing to give them a chance. But I swear If they even THINK of messing up generations 3ds I'm done with them.

Edited by Silverfang

Dimps quality is like their level design. It only goes downhill.

I thought Rush Adventure was an improvment over the first. And for the record, while not as memorable or iconic, the Level design technically for Colors DS and Sonic 4 was also better some previous attempts,just for the fact of haing plattforming,being multilayered and be varied.

In short, I don't think Level Design is the problem.

I thought Rush Adventure was an improvment over the first. And for the record, while not as memorable or iconic, the Level design technically for Colors DS and Sonic 4 was also better some previous attempts,just for the fact of haing plattforming,being multilayered and be varied.

In short, I don't think Level Design is the problem.

FTR, I honestly really enjoy the Rush games and Colours DS. But the overall quality of the games has been slipping considerably. Graphics wise they're just bad now. They got lazy with the backgrounds by ditching parallax layers and using a lot of solid colours, and then the animations in Generations and Colours are simply dire.

And the level design in S4 is offensive. Not offensive like Sky Canyon, but a different kind of absolutely wrong.

Edited by Blue Blood

I think Dimps want to get fired and are producing more and more mediocre games. I mean they probably want to do something else, but SEGA pretty much relegated them to be Sonic Teams butt-monkeys.

I think Dimps want to get fired and are producing more and more mediocre games. I mean they probably want to do something else, but SEGA pretty much relegated them to be Sonic Teams butt-monkeys.

Uh, no. Just no. Dimps could very well be bored of Sonic games, but no developer would outright intentionally make bad games just to get fired and released from a contract (cause they aren't part of SEGA at all). That would have far too many negative repercussions. Dimps titles are constantly being well reviewed and sell fantastically. Especially with all the other crap that's been released over the past few years, Dimps' games have been like gold in coal mine.

Why put the effort into making a good game when a bad one still generates profits, eh?

I'm kind of sick of all this Dimps hate. It seemed that no one had any problems with them till they did Sonic 4 Epidode 1. That's when all the Dimps bashing started.

No. Sonic 4 is simply when people outside the fanbase started noticing things that had been being said since Advance 3 came out.

They have done some good Sonic games and some not so good Sonic games. But I think that the amount of bashing that they get is unfair.

Unfair how? How many chances do they need to be given? How many games do they have to punch out in a row that have the same problems before wanting someone else to make the games becomes fair to say?

I bet Reviewers will give the 3DS version higher scores, cause it's "easier to control" or crap like that <_<

• Thumbs Up 2

I liked Advance 1/2, and Rush/Adventure. I thought Sonic 4 and Colors DS were okay. Unwiished was garbage, and Gen3DS is looking like it'll be medicore. I think they should either start using a different gameplay style than the Rush physics/boosting, or Sonic Team should get some new devs to replace them.

Sonic Next Gen sold very well compared to its quality....nuff said 8p

^Wheres Advance 3? Also I'm guessing you thought RA was meh, cause of the alt. gameplay :P

^Wheres Advance 3? Also I'm guessing you thought RA was meh, cause of the alt. gameplay :P

Not enough room for everything. d:

I thought Rush Adventure was meh because of the level design. It felt like too straightforward; more so than Rush.

@Blue Blood - Not enough room, so I decided to give it a break. xP

Edit: Actually, I think some tweaking might be in order.

Edited by Dissident

sonicteamemail.jpg

Seriously, this is what Sonic Team needs to do. For what Dimps is worth, they at least kept Sonic barely alive during the "dark ages" of the franchise, but now it just seems like Dimps isn't even trying nowadays. It's already enough they disgraced both the Classics and harmed Sonic's reputation, but now they don't even fix the physics? Sonic would be better off without Dimps at this point. Sorry

Edited by CanofEpicSauce

For me, with Dimps, it's like this:

Sonic Advance was fun.

Sonic Advance 2 was fun.

Sonic Advance 3 was fucking horrible.

Sonic Rush was great.

Sonic Rush Adventure was great.

Sonic Colors DS was mediocre.

That leaves Sonic 4 which is also mediocre.

It's really their later stuff that's been pretty bad.

I forgot to mention Sonic Unleashed Wii in this post (another mediocre one), but yeah..