Follow TSS' Twitter

Photo

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 "Barrel of Doom"

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#41 SuperStingray

SuperStingray

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

It still puzzles me to this day that so many people never would have considered pressing up or down on what is obviously a loose definition of an elevator. It still confused me the first time, I'll admit, but I find the concept that a puzzle like this would take years to solve is, quite bluntly, ridiculous.

Here's the thing: NOTHING in the game hints that pressing up and down can control anything.

#42 7Force

7Force

• TSS Member
  • 198 Posts:

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:10 PM

I remember this part. Me and my friend was talking about this in school and was both totally stuck on this bit, I think I later found out how to get past it from a games mag.

#43 SABRINA

SABRINA

SKUNK YIFF SKUNK YIFF

• TSS Member
  • 489 Posts:

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:25 PM

AHHHHHHHHH

I HATED that barrel. I have NIGHTMARES about it. The best way I found to get past it was to make sure you AND tails jump at PRECISELY the right moment and ZOOM. You're off

#44 SykoTech

SykoTech

Just a gamer.

• TSS Member
  • 902 Posts:

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:38 PM

I don't see why some of you are acting as if one would have to be a block head in order to get stuck at the barrel.

There isn't exactly any point in Sonic 3 (or any other Sonic game back then...or even now) that used such a method of platforming. The room gives no hint as what is neeeded to be done either, leaving the player to figure out on thier own. Nearly every obstacle in a Sonic game can be overcome using two methods: speed and jumping. Since the small space left do room for speed, jumping was the thing to logically proceed with. Besides, there were barrels earlier in the level that could be overcome by jumping. And due to the fact that the barrel began to joust up and down, one can easily be misled to thinking that jumping was the right thing to do. Just that they weren't doing it good enough.

My sis and I even went to the extreme with this back in the day by going to a Bonus Stage and getting a Bubble Shield before we got to the room. Then we'd bounce up and down on the barrel, trying to force it to the bottom. Good times. Good, fustrating times.

But anyways, it wasn't the difficulty of the puzzle that got people stuck, just the random implication and misleading results. I'm not sure how long it would hve taken me to figure out though. I was like four at the time, and got help when I was playing Sonic 3 at a neighbor's house not too long after.

#45 Half

Half

• TSS Member
  • 5 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:05 PM

I have never gotten past it on my Genesis to this very day. On game collections yeah, but damn, I never could get past that damned barrel. Thank god for using Knuckles!

#46 RhikoruFa-La-La-La-♪

RhikoruFa-La-La-La-♪

Equivalent Exchange? No thanks.

• TSS Member
  • 202 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

It still puzzles me to this day that so many people never would have considered pressing up or down on what is obviously a loose definition of an elevator. It still confused me the first time, I'll admit, but I find the concept that a puzzle like this would take years to solve is, quite bluntly, ridiculous.

Here's the thing: NOTHING in the game hints that pressing up and down can control anything.

Still, it depends on who's playing. Back in the day, most of us were kids, right? Today, we know enough that we should try all our options (And by options I mean using resources like guides or the internet or experimentation), but then, there WAS no indication on what to do, and for a lot of us, no internet to look up how to beat the dang thing.

Today it's a piece of cake, but it sure did pwn me back then. :angry:

#47 Dr_Ultimate

Dr_Ultimate

• TSS Member
  • 31 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

Ah yes, the barrell of doom. I remember having to ask my friend how to do this bit.

#48 Legendary Emerald

Legendary Emerald

Burt Cocaine

• TSS Member
  • 1,268 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:44 PM

I have a long and complicated history with Sonic 3. When I got the game as I child, I could never get past that damn wall that chased you in the begining of Hydro City act 2. I can't remember how many years ago, but I did get past it eventually.

Only to get stuck by the Barrel From Hell.

Luckily, this was the age of the internet and I was able to find the solution on the internet after starting the entire leve over again many times and trying to see if there was any way to get past it. So yeah, I hate that barrel as all video game fans should. It's as natural as hating the birds in Ninja Gaiden and falling in love with the Companion Cube in Portal.

#49 Random Rhyme 3rd Verse

Random Rhyme 3rd Verse

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

I used the jumping technique to get past it. I didn't get stuck there for long I just got bored and started doing whatever came to my mind.

#50 Sega DogTagz

Sega DogTagz

I’ve got more hold items then I know what to do with…

• TSS Member
  • 3,767 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

My sis and I even went to the extreme with this back in the day by going to a Bonus Stage and getting a Bubble Shield before we got to the room. Then we'd bounce up and down on the barrel, trying to force it to the bottom. Good times. Good, fustrating times.

lol, I tried that too.

I remember me and my bro sitting around for hours trying to coordinate Sonic and Tails jumps perfectly to get a maximum rebound effect. I was so young back then. If someone had told me that a puzzle in a Sonic game had a solution other than running, jumping, or spinning, my head would likely have exploded.

That Barrel was the bane of my existence until I figured it out.

#51 Tornado

Tornado

Can't Escape It, Ain't No Use in Tryin'

• SSMB Moderator
  • 9,379 Posts:
  • Steam:TenchiFreak5
  • XBL:TenchiFreak5
  • PSN:TenchiFreak5

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

I remember me and my bro sitting around for hours trying to coordinate Sonic and Tails jumps perfectly to get a maximum rebound effect. I was so young back then. If someone had told me that a puzzle in a Sonic game had a solution other than running, jumping, or spinning, my head would likely have exploded.

Probably a good introduction to basic physics, though.

#52 Eileanach

Eileanach

Huh?

• TSS Member
  • 1,251 Posts:

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:02 PM

It took me months to get by the damn barrell! Eventually one night I was watching my friend and I thought to myself "Ha he will not get by that!" and when he did I asked him to restart the level and show me how he did it. And thus I learned. But my God it was very annoying not knowing what to do.

#53 Blash

Blash

• TSS Member
  • 105 Posts:

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:10 AM

Gah, that barrel... it's the very first thing that comes to mind when I hear Sonic 3. :P
It's the first thing that comes to mind because it was so unorthodox, not because of how much of a problem it was. When I was a kid, I remember getting some Time Overs and what-not, but I don't think I actually had too much trouble with it. I remember beating the game a few days after I got it, so it couldn't of been that big of an obstacle.

Though a few years ago, when I bought another Genesis and played S3&K, I got stuck for a bit on the barrel again haha. By the time I re-figured it out, the timer had 9 minutes left, so I ended up dieing lol.

Good times.

Edited by Blash, 22 April 2009 - 04:10 AM.

#54 Saint Nathan

Saint Nathan

my milkshake

• TSS Member
  • 3,538 Posts:

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:05 AM

By that point you've needed to figure out at least one.

Except up to that point the way the game had presented the solution for the previous barrels was completely different from the actual solution for the infamous one.

... No. Not really.
You can jump, or press up and down. Either way, you have a solution. And there are so many barrels in Carnival Night, you should be messing around with SOME.

And then there's the fact that when you think of buttons to make things go up and down, the fact that a few of you noticed pressing DOWN after a jump helped, and the whole point that nothing else is working for you, it dosen't take long to try every up-and-down thing you can do in the game.

#55 Blacklightning

Blacklightning

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

Sonic 2's final boss, though? THAT's some trial and error to cry over. At least it's far less likely to die when you're jumping up and down on a red/white cylinder.

...trial and error? Big thing comes down. Avoid it. Big thing chases you. Run away as far as you can. Don't move until big thing is about to land. Hit big thing when it finally bends down low enough for you to hit. Repeat.

Time consuming, yes. Difficult - the timing can be, yes. But trial and error? Never seen it as that.

You seem to have refused to acknowledge the fact that there's no way of knowing that jumping into it kills you until you've already killed yourself on it at least once in the most anticlimactic manner imaginable. Most things that kill you on bosses have spikes or flames, so I'd be a little more forgiving if they'd made it a bit more obvious the first time.

Nothing in Lava Reef hints that the elevators are moved using the spindash.
Nothing in the Marble Garden hints that the big round blue switches are triggered by spindashing near them.
Nothing in the Death Egg hints that the final boss is one giant moving touch of death except for a tiny window of opportunity when he recovers from a jump.
Hell, for that matter, nothing in the games even hints that having stuff dropped on you will kill you instantly regardless of your ring count. Until, naturally, you get splattered.

This kind of thing is to be EXPECTED. Is it really so bad that a Sonic game should expect you to figure something out yourself for a change? I'm not a big fan of trial-and-error puzzles either, but this is ridiculous. Pressing up or down to move an elevator is a standard to the friggin' platforming genre, so it's not the game's fault if you're stupid.

#56 Eyz

Eyz

Great Zorglub

• TSS Member
  • 13 Posts:

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

All you guys seriously mean it?! You couldn't pass those giant barrels thingies?!
When you got stuck onto these things, wasn't that evident that just jumping didn't work and some other button should work?
Not tryin' to sound harsh but I did beat Sonic 3 in the ol' Mega Drive days as a kid, and again with my Saturn/Sonic Jam and later on with my Gamecube/Sonic mega collection...
It wasn't that hard... but I suppose internet is the place where everybody has something to b#tch about.. so go on!

(from where does this "barrel of doom" legend come from?! I've never hear of it before this topic!)

#57 Candescence

Candescence

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

Nothing in Lava Reef hints that the elevators are moved using the spindash.
Nothing in the Marble Garden hints that the big round blue switches are triggered by spindashing near them.

Spin-dashing is one of the main abilities of the game, it becomes obvious to anyone that this is a potential option, though.

Nothing in the Death Egg hints that the final boss is one giant moving touch of death except for a tiny window of opportunity when he recovers from a jump.

That's... Different. It's easier to experiment, because you know you have to hit it somewhere. It's just a question of where and when.

Hell, for that matter, nothing in the games even hints that having stuff dropped on you will kill you instantly regardless of your ring count. Until, naturally, you get splattered.

Unless you're playing a Wario game (where common sense tends to get thrown straight out the window), getting crushed is a generally bad idea in platformers in general, it's just common sense.

This kind of thing is to be EXPECTED. Is it really so bad that a Sonic game should expect you to figure something out yourself for a change? I'm not a big fan of trial-and-error puzzles either, but this is ridiculous. Pressing up or down to move an elevator is a standard to the friggin' platforming genre, so it's not the game's fault if you're stupid.

Remind me, how many platformers in those days actually had such elevators? Besides, the barrels didn't seem anything like elevators, it becomes seemingly obvious early on what their function is, and the player is never informed otherwise, nor shown. Once again, as others have stated, the room gives off the impression that it requires a more complex trick to get past it, and because the barrel reacts to jumping on it, the player gets the added impression that finishing the puzzle requires doing something of the sort. You'd have to be lucky to have figured it out in less than a minute, and honestly, very few people have.

All you guys seriously mean it?! You couldn't pass those giant barrels thingies?!
When you got stuck onto these things, wasn't that evident that just jumping didn't work and some other button should work?
Not tryin' to sound harsh but I did beat Sonic 3 in the ol' Mega Drive days as a kid, and again with my Saturn/Sonic Jam and later on with my Gamecube/Sonic mega collection...
It wasn't that hard... but I suppose internet is the place where everybody has something to b#tch about.. so go on!

(from where does this "barrel of doom" legend come from?! I've never hear of it before this topic!)

That bloody barrel is one of the most infamous cases of Guide Dang It in history, and not without reason, stumping countless gamers who encountered it.

Edited by Soma Cruz, 22 April 2009 - 10:31 AM.

#58 midori

midori

片道切符 よ!! ゚∀゚

• TSS Member
  • 317 Posts:

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

I also got stuck at this part... I got annoyed because nothing would work, so I started to press random buttons in case there was some code or something. It took me a while to figure I only needed two buttons :P

But it was well worth it. Going up and down is so fuuuuun! \('▽`)/

#59 JezMM

JezMM
  • Skype:"jez-mm" (or if you use Trillian, add me directly using "jez.mm" on there)
  • Steam:JezMM
  • NNID:Jez-MM

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

I find it bizarre how the people who found this puzzle easy are being so uppity and on their high horse about it. It's pretty obvious that you guys are an exception so seriously, stop acting like everyone else is stupid. =\ It's just mean.

#60 Dark Qiviut

Dark Qiviut

Proudly controversial.

• TSS Member
  • 1,074 Posts:

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:54 AM

Oh, I remember the barrel all too well. It made me HATE this game at one point when I was a kid (and to an extent, I've begun to dislike S3&K again for the same reason). I hated the barrel so much that whenever I played S3&K, I played as Knuckles religiously and ignored playing the other characters. It wasn't until 2000 when I finally passed the barrel and beat the game entirely. And, yes, I used the bubble-shield-jumping technique that quite a lot of people used to get past it.

(There was a reason why in Sonic Jam, the barrel was removed in the Easy and Normal modes.)

Good times, indeed. NOT! :angry:

Edited by Dark Qiviut, 22 April 2009 - 11:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users