Awoo.

Sonic Generations : General Hacking Thread

azoo

It's probably just a coincident but the demo ends today which is tuesday and the PSN store updates every tuesday...

That'd be quite strange.

Edited by Ultra_Gizmo_64

I don't know, I highly doubt they would release another demo showcasing an entirely different stage. MAYBE the Modern version of Green Hill Zone, but nothing else.

I don't know, I highly doubt they would release another demo showcasing an entirely different stage. MAYBE the Modern version of Green Hill Zone, but nothing else.

I honestly think we're getting modern sonic in green hill tonight at 12:00. I've never really heard of a demo being taken away. and there are too many flaws that allow fans to just easily keep the demo. it's either just a huge flop, or we're getting a new version of the demo tonight. would be nice since SEGA forums has been off for a year!

Well switching the demo from Trial_Ver1 to Trial_Ver2 put me on a stage select screen for the Rooftop Run levels so I'm going to guess that's their next demo. If you think about it, it does actually make sense. Sonic 1 was the first game with Classic Sonic so they used the level from that game and Sonic Unleashed was the first game to use the gameplay formula used by Modern Sonic so it makes sense that they would represent him with the Sonic Unleashed stage.

I honestly think we're getting modern sonic in green hill tonight at 12:00. I've never really heard of a demo being taken away. and there are too many flaws that allow fans to just easily keep the demo. it's either just a huge flop, or we're getting a new version of the demo tonight. would be nice since SEGA forums has been off for a year!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Don't count on it. If they were planning to give us a demo with a time limit and include Modern Sonic as well, they probably would have just included both at once and only for 20 days. I bet if the demo featured both levels, there wouldn't have been as much hacking because people wouldn't have asked themselves "Is Green Hill act 2 actually in there? That file size is too big for just one level."

Edited by frokenok3

Don't count on it. If they were planning to give us a demo with a time limit and include Modern Sonic as well, they probably would have just included both at once and only for 20 days. I bet if the demo featured both levels, there wouldn't have been as much hacking because people wouldn't have asked themselves "Is Green Hill act 2 actually in there? That file size is too big for just one level."

Edited by Blue Streak

Yeah agreed. Dude Boostinator?! and BOOOOOOST!!!! you made me :lol: so hard.

Can i ask a favor? Can you make a video showing all Sonic's ranking animations? cause in your video you said it has a lot.

I might be a little mistaken. I believe Sonic has 5 animations and rank has no bearing on what animations he makes. I've never gotten a D-Rank so I don't know if anything's different for that, if not then I retract my case about the rank poses being better than in Colors because at least there his reaction mattered somewhat deepening on how well you did.

I might be a little mistaken. I believe Sonic has 5 animations and rank has no bearing on what animations he makes. I've never gotten a D-Rank so I don't know if anything's different for that, if not then I retract my case about the rank poses being better than in Colors because at least there his reaction mattered somewhat deepening on how well you did.

Aha i see...that's cool. Yeah i hope his animation depends on his rank too. S Rank= break dancing animation, A Rank etc.

meh i have my bets on modern sonic able to be unlocked because remember ALL the assets for the modern green hill are in.(except for maybe camera..hopefully)

Well to begin with, camera wouldn't be an asset for GHZ, it'd be a common asset for the player, and I am guessing camera control is in the game and that you can enable it through hacking (though I'm not that good) much like how PolygonJim gave Classic Sonic the homing attack. As for the reason for all these assets, it's because this is the same build of the game they brought to E3, Sonic Boom, and Summer of Sonic, the only difference is they changed it to have Modern Sonic locked off. The reason the demo file is so large is because it has the content from an earlier build of the game, which is probably also why they made the 20 day limit, in fear of people discovering all these assets of the game.

Considering they did show City Escape I don't see why not. I think we will for sure be getting GHZ modern, but I also think we may get CE modern and classic. I mean, if they already showed it...why not?

which is probably also why they made the 20 day limit, in fear of people discovering all these assets of the game.

Well, they GREATLY underestimated the Sonic community then because it only took people a few hours to crack the shell and feed on the delicious caramel center.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well to begin with, camera wouldn't be an asset for GHZ, it'd be a common asset for the player, and I am guessing camera control is in the game and that you can enable it through hacking (though I'm not that good) much like how PolygonJim gave Classic Sonic the homing attack. As for the reason for all these assets, it's because this is the same build of the game they brought to E3, Sonic Boom, and Summer of Sonic, the only difference is they changed it to have Modern Sonic locked off. The reason the demo file is so large is because it has the content from an earlier build of the game, which is probably also why they made the 20 day limit, in fear of people discovering all these assets of the game.

Ha, that didn't work so well!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

So if we were to get a modern demo, it'd be for Rooftop Run? Why not Green Hill?

Edited by Onyx Wraith

I somewhat expected that the second demo we were going to get was Modern Sonic.

Demo numbers were found, Rooftop Run was seen in the same menu-like appearance GHZ had...

Though it's a tad weird to release the demo a month before the game being released... Eh, I'm cool with it. :lol:

Awesome job, Jacktheinfinite. Great vid. I hope you toy some more with Generations's stuff in the future. :lol:

Edited by Tatsumaki

I think TGS will have Rooftop Run. Crisis City would seem like a better choice,since it's more old.

Isn't it possible that the Rooftop Run Demo isn't slated for public release, but is for some show or convention in October?

Considering they did show City Escape I don't see why not. I think we will for sure be getting GHZ modern, but I also think we may get CE modern and classic. I mean, if they already showed it...why not?

Because that's be way too many stages from the game. There's only 9 levels, with one modern and one classic for each so if they gave out GHZ Classic, GHZ Modern, CE Classic, CE Modern, and at least one Rooftop Run level, that'd be almost a third of the game already played before release. Back in 2008, the build of Unleashed they brought to E3 had Apotos Day and Night, Chun-nan, and Spagonia, but we only got Apotos day for a demo and that wasn't until after the game was released.

I think TGS will have Rooftop Run. Crisis City would seem like a better choice,since it's more old.

Well the version of the demo I used to unlock GHZ modern was the TGS version so the demo will probably be the same there. If you look back at Sonic Unleashed's hype, whenever they brought it to a convention, the only level playable to the public was Apotos Day, they might show off other level behind closed doors, but they only let attendees play the first level.

Isn't it possible that the Rooftop Run Demo isn't slated for public release, but is for some show or convention in October?

I guess but would they refer to it by the name of the convention instead of "Trial_Ver2"? They named all the other versions by their convention names.

What was really interesting is what the dude said about Modern Sonic being in Classic GHZ. Why exactly is he able to Light Speed Dash? Unless SEGA dun goof'd. :lol: (Which is the most logical and probable answer.)

OR they intend to let us play classic level with Modern Sonic and Modern Levels with Classic Sonic. I remember reading a rumor about that as a feature back at E3. Now IF they are planning to do that, it still might not make the final cut because as PolygonJim's video's pointed out, doing certain actions with Classic Sonic in Modern Sonic's level (such as spin dashing in 3D or interacting with certain stage elements) causes the game to freeze so if they can't get it to work out, then they will probably remove the feature (if they are even making it a feature).

Well, they GREATLY underestimated the Sonic community then because it only took people a few hours to crack the shell and feed on the delicious caramel center.

I have a feeling it was done on purpose. Who could be foolish enough to put so much info into one demo and not expect it to be hacked and revealed?

Because that's be way too many stages from the game. There's only 9 levels, with one modern and one classic for each so if they gave out GHZ Classic, GHZ Modern, CE Classic, CE Modern, and at least one Rooftop Run level, that'd be almost a third of the game already played before release. Back in 2008, the build of Unleashed they brought to E3 had Apotos Day and Night, Chun-nan, and Spagonia, but we only got Apotos day for a demo and that wasn't until after the game was released.

You do make a point there...

I have a feeling it was done on purpose. Who could be foolish enough to put so much info into one demo and not expect it to be hacked and revealed?

I'm not really a fan of conspiracy theories but the demo was released on Sonic's B'day.

They probably knew someone was going to hack it.

Think of it as a present that you have 20 days to open.

Look who's off topic now.

I don't recall the canine rectum bit of the demo.

ANYWAY, that video of the modern section. I was talking to the guy who posted it and I was trying to convince him to try and make it into a Modio save so others can use it...

Um wait, a Modio? I don't know what that is (apart from having to do with the Xbox 360). If you want me to provide some help in hacking the 360 demo, I can tell you as much as I know about it. During my two weeks trying to hack this demo, I did try to work with the 360 version at one point.

I found a program that unpacked the demo. I found that the demo contains the exact same bb.cpk file as the PS3 version so you do all the same steps to unpack, edit, and repack that bit. I could not, however find a way to repack the demo, is that what Modio does? Either way what I do know is, getting the modified demo to work on your 360 requires Jtagging it (if you don't know what that means, it means taking your 360 apart and using a soldering iron to melt a specific cable into a specific slot on the motherboard) and I wasn't up for risikng the destruction of my 360 and I assume most people aren't.

Bottom line, if you want to go to the trouble (or already have) of making your 360 ready to play the modded demo, I can provide the links to the tools I used.

Well this demo wasn't built into a bubble, they didn't actually sit down and put assets like this into the demo that was going to be released. These assets are present because this is really partly a production build of the game modified into a demo. If they made a demo from scratch instead of modifying the trial build they use at conventions, it would most likely have less content in it. I would say it was either laziness or just a rush to get a demo out for Sonic's birthday.