Awoo.

Speed Runs

Sami

Did a 1:30ish run of City Escape. Hit in the low 60s on the leaderboards.

I actually majorly fucked up some bits, I'll do another run and see how that goes.

EDIT: herpaderpa how did i mix city escape's ranking with chemical plant's times

Edited by Saint Nathan

1:40:40 for Classic Speed Highway. Right now, 88th on the leaderboards. I think I got a 1:26-1:28 on Crisis City Modern.

You sure about that? Seems insanely low.

I'm assuming this is with skills?

Or it could have been 2:26-2:28. I haven't checked up on it for a while. It's probably 2:26

Or it could have been 2:26-2:28. I haven't checked up on it for a while. It's probably 2:26

Yeah, I was scrolling through the times and you have a 2:28:31 there.

Don't scare me like that, man! I worked my ass off for my 1:33:57. biggrin.png

Edited by corneliab
  • Thumbs Up 2

Man, Crisis City Act 2 is the bane of my existence right now... Which is odd because I'm #8 on the (PSN) leaderboards for Crisis City Act 1. (Linneus-- feel free to add me!) The only trophy I have left is playing Ranking Attack on all stages, but I refuse to do the next stage until I get at least in the top 100. (I've done all the Act 1s, so all that's left is Crisis City, Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp for the Act 2s.)

SO. Any tips, corneliab?

Yeah, I was scrolling through the times and you have a 2:28:31 there.

Don't scare me like that, man! I worked my ass off for my 1:33:57. biggrin.png

1:33:57!!! WHAT THE FU-... I worked my ass off for 1:37:32 man! 5 seconds... Please tell me that it's with skills? Otherwise, I salute you oh the mighty one.

I...I am speechless...

EDIT: Just checked the Tournament topic, god damn it... I don't know if I could ever get close to 1:35 let alone 1:33...

I don't think I'll have time to practice my Classic Crisis City anymore. All day Modern Crisis City now!

Edited by sayi50

I'm speed running Modern Crisis City as well, seems everyone here is, oddly. It's actually a rather fun stage to do so in (and it's my favourite level in the game no less). There's a lot of fun shortcuts if you can time them right, but my issue is mainly that I don't react fast enough (especially with regards to the stomp). A few parts are also giving me grief, namely pretty much all the 3D lava parts after the big ass loop (sometimes I can get the running across the tiny little beam after the springs, but it's touch and go). More annoying yet, I don't get to practice the 2D section as much because I never get that far before I die, get hit, or go "oh god I fucked it up!" I've managed my trim my time to about 1:52 or 1:53 or something fairly decent like that.

I also had a go at Modern Planet Wisp, and got a little under 4 minutes, but that was on a single try, and I hadn't thought to hang around a couple of rocket wisps to get more as I'm activating them, shaving many seconds off. I seem to pick up all my strategies by watching other people first and copying it to the best of my abilities :P

Classic speed runs for me are just like "lol forget about it" as I'm not proficient enough with the spin dash jump, at least not consistently.

Edited by White Acrimbopolis

I'm speed running Modern Crisis City as well, seems everyone here is, oddly. It's actually a rather fun stage to do so in (and it's my favourite level in the game no less). There's a lot of fun shortcuts if you can time them right, but my issue is mainly that I don't react fast enough (especially with regards to the stomp). A few parts are also giving me grief, namely pretty much all the 3D lava parts after the big ass loop (sometimes I can get the running across the tiny little beam after the springs, but it's touch and go). More annoying yet, I don't get to practice the 2D section as much because I never get that far before I die, get hit, or go "oh god I fucked it up!" I've managed my trim my time to about 1:52 or 1:53 or something fairly decent like that.

I also had a go at Modern Planet Wisp, and got a little under 4 minutes, but that was on a single try, and I hadn't thought to hang around a couple of rocket wisps to get more as I'm activating them, shaving many seconds off. I seem to pick up all my strategies by watching other people first and copying it to the best of my abilities tongue.png

If you don't die, but just screw up. Finish the level anyways so you can practice the later parts, that's what I do. "I screwed up anyway so let's try some new stuff now."

And don't worry about watching any copying, I do the same too. Only I find how to improve them or mix two or three runs together with some "sayi50 touch" added to them.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know? stages seem really, really short when the pros get their hands on them.

... Well... not like they were all that long too begin with, but still.

Man, Crisis City Act 2 is the bane of my existence right now... Which is odd because I'm #8 on the (PSN) leaderboards for Crisis City Act 1. (Linneus-- feel free to add me!) The only trophy I have left is playing Ranking Attack on all stages, but I refuse to do the next stage until I get at least in the top 100. (I've done all the Act 1s, so all that's left is Crisis City, Rooftop Run and Planet Wisp for the Act 2s.)

SO. Any tips, corneliab?

Edited by corneliab
  • Thumbs Up 1

Once the modern era's finished I'll whip up a writeup. Though not right now. >_>

I will say that once you know all the tricks, it just boils down to execution. No glitches or skills were involved, though as the video above proves, skills can definitely let you do some nutty things.

Yeah, there are some levels that have crazy tricks and shortcuts you can abuse and pull off an awesome run if you know what to do, then there are levels like City Escape or Crisis City (both Act 2) which have an INCREDIBLY straightforward path, so running it pretty much boils down to "be perfect," and those two stages really bother me for that reason. Think of any Crisis City shortcuts. Home attacking the Iblis Takers to get to the upper path before the spring takes you up the building with the exploding glass? That's the only one I can think of. That, and jumping up the falling platforms during the stop sections. (One of the paths that lead to a Red Ring in the regular stage.)

• Thumbs Up 1

CHEMICAL PLANT NNNNGGGHHHH

I'm trying to take the left path, the one that leads to the mid-air light dash? For some reason half the time Sonic refuses to light-dash and just falls to his death.

this is the only thing keeping me from making a really good run

• Thumbs Up 1

CHEMICAL PLANT NNNNGGGHHHH

I'm trying to take the left path, the one that leads to the mid-air light dash? For some reason half the time Sonic refuses to light-dash and just falls to his death.

this is the only thing keeping me from making a really good run

xD I got that working the first time I've tried it, and I've never gotten that light speed dash ever again. >.<

I did one really particularly good run, around 2:01, even after fucking up a few times. Even on that I didn't get the fucking light-dash, and just air-boosted my way onto one of those barrel-lookin' platforms near the same bit and hopped onto the track from there.

the trick to the light dash part on the left is to not touch the control stick when doing the light dash option....although once you ARE light dashing hold forward again or you wont have enough pull to reach the lower part.

Hmm...I just got that MCP shortcut with the light dash today. Voyant is right here.

Also, after being knocked down to 30th place on the leaderboards for CSH, I got myself back up to 16th with around 1:28

I just did a speed run of Modern Planet Wisp with around 3:28 or something. I'm within the top 20 on the leaderboards anyway. I seem to pick the levels the general population doesn't want to do. Planet Wisp has some nifty shortcuts, which I saw once I watched some videos, and waiting for a rocket to come while charging one up (but not too soon) works really well as you've got a stored rocket. This is particularly useful on the tower as you can skip the last cart section. It can be done faster, much faster, but I've only practiced for about half an hour. I seem to be better at speed running than I thought I'd be, especially considering I don't do it much.

I'm rubbish at Modern Speed Highway though, only got 1:46, even with most of the shortcuts such as the jumping over ramp one in the first 2D section, and to make matters worse, everyone and their dog is doing this one. Modern Chemical Plant is also tricky, even once you've got the light dash right, as loads of people are speed running that, and I can't get under like 1:50 or something, but I didn't really try too hard.

I haven't touched Crisis City in a while. One thing I will ask, you know where you've got the worm before the dash pads and the spring that takes you to the exploding building? What's the quickest way round that? I tend to just homing attack the enemy and the spring. Should I just attack the worm, then stomp on the dash pads?

I haven't touched Crisis City in a while. One thing I will ask, you know where you've got the worm before the dash pads and the spring that takes you to the exploding building? What's the quickest way round that? I tend to just homing attack the enemy and the spring. Should I just attack the worm, then stomp on the dash pads?

I usually just ignore the worm if I can. Killing the enemy can take somewhere in between .00.30 to .00.50 seconds, time that is precious to a speedrun.

Edited by Enigma2Me
  • Thumbs Up 1

Its risky, but the absolute fastest thing to do at that section is to use the boost after clearing the crest in front of the worm. If you time it right your boost will carry you right into the dash pads and through the spring. Your literally working with a few feet there though, too early and you go careening into the wall, too late and you overshoot everything.

I realised I can just avoid the worm, but I can never get below 1:50. Bane of my life :P haven't been able to beat my Modern Planet Wisp time either, guess I managed to pull it off that one time and never again. I also did a half assed 3:20 run of Classic Planet Wisp and got within the top 20 in the leaderboard, guess everyone hates speed running this level :|

Been trying to speedrun Seaside Hill. I never noticed, but apparently if you skip the first set of three rainbow rings, and take the lower path, the middle rail in the set of three seems to be faster?

At least, it was faster than taking the rainbow rings, which is what I've been doing.

also jesus shit endless boost is really fucking useful if you're doing a skills run

Down to 1:48. Despite practicing for over an hour, and getting really pissed off with failing (especially at the start of the 2D section, god help you if you don't make it through the hoop therefore you're still moving in 3D in that 2D part), hitting that last check point with a time almost two seconds faster than my previous record felt so good. Then the adrenaline was pumping for the tornado section, with one car in particular missing me by less than usual, and then making sure I did the final hop off the rail. It's an intense level and I love speed running Crisis City Act 2 despite how frustrating it can be. Took me so fucking long as I had figured out a couple of spots where to save time, but I'd not been able to combine them into a good run. It's also interesting listening to the music during intense concentrated play, figuring out roughly where you need to be when a specific section comes on. it's just so frustrating trying to get it right, but when you do it and it all clicks, it's so good.

Somehow I am still not bored with this level, whether speed running or playing normally.

I also tried to speed run both Seaside Hills earlier a couple of times, but I need much better strats. I just haven't had the dedication to most levels to really speed run them properly, and I could do with getting that achievement some time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Classic Seaside Hill is a pain to speedrun, especially because most of the tricks require REALLY precise spindash jumps, and there's also a glitch with invincibility and a Spana.

City Escape and Crisis City Act 1 are my favorite Classic speedrun levels, along with Rooftop Run. Even if it does infuriate me, like that part after you push the giant barrel down and run over a bunch of Egg Fighters. Jumping at the wrong time causes you to COMPLETELY overshoot the springboard to your death.