SEGASonic Radio
RSS Feed
Follow the Sonic Stadium's Facebook Page
Follow TSS' Twitter

Photo

The Tokusatsu Thread

Super Sentai Kamen Rider Ultraman GARO Power Rangers Godzilla ETC I AM AMAZON Furbus

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#1 Ekaje

Ekaje

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:53 AM

Credit for the following post goes to Something Awful user Chibs, who made it for the ADTRW Toku thread ​that I lazily and shamelessly copied completely.

---------------
Tokusatsu shows feature costumed superheroes pitted against evil creatures and/or organizations, through the aid of gadgets, explosions, and face kicking. Spawned back in the 1950s with kaiju films such as Godzilla, and Super Giant, Japan's first costumed superhero commited to film, the tokusatsu genre has spawned many popular series, such as:

Ultraman, the alien crusader who fights to protect Earth
Posted Image

Metal Heroes, armor laden cyborgs, transforming humans, or what-have-you, fighting alien and underworld threats alike
Posted Image
And then the main stars of this thread:

Kamen Rider
Posted Image
Created in 1971 by Shotaro Ishinomori, Kamen Rider shows often feature a single transforming hero who's powers and arsenal is usually directly related to the antagonists of the series, whether biological or technological. Sometimes, additional riders aside from the titular one are introduced, whether to aid them or antagonize them (or both).

Super Sentai
Posted Image
Also started by Ishinomori, the first Super Sentai series was Goranger in 1975. The shows feature 5 (or more) heroes pitted against groups of evil monsters, often alien in origin. More often than not, their opponents go giant-size and require a double beatdown with the assistance of giant support robots.

What's it all boil down to?
TOYS Y'ALL
Posted Image
Like any kids franchise, toku shows are made to push plastic crack down the gullet of young boys and financially irresponsible adults. Besides the featured gimmick-laden robot and roleplay toys, there are also several series of highly-articulated action figures, such as S.H. Figuarts, S.I.C. (Super Imaginative Chogokin), and the SFX Revoltech series for kaiju and foreign properties.
------------------------------------------------

THE SHOWS
Currently running

Kamen Rider Fourze

c/o: Over-Time | Æsir Subs | TV-Nihon

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters
c/o: Over-Time | TV-Nihon

------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Due to the Great Legend Megaupload Tragedy of 2012, from this point on be prepared to find a lot of dead links I can't do anything about.

NOTE: Many of the following shows can be found at krdl.info

Completed series
Kamen RiderSuper SentaiUltraMisc.------------------------------------------------

Movies/Specials
Kamen RiderSuper SentaiUltraMisc.------------------------------------------------

In progress series
Kamen RiderSuper SentaiUltraMetal HeroMisc.------------------------------------------------

Da Raw Repository
Toei's Youtube channel
Watch old shows, unsubbed. New episodes weekly, be sure to keep up! (edit: Toei's put a country restriction up, if anyone knows how to get around it, let me know) -or-

Toku Raw Revolution: Get raw videos of tokusatsu shows here. Handy if you've got subs but nothing to play 'em with. (Free registration required)

ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION ACTION
Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Ekaje, 06 July 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#2 \Lennox

\Lennox

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:52 AM

In before everyone else starts to think that Ahim is pregnant. What's up with her hands on her belly? XD

#3 Shiluku

Shiluku

AH-EE-SO OH-ME

• TSS Member
  • 81 Posts:

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:08 AM

Tokusatsu?

I occasionally watch Ultraman. Hell yeah.

Might I also nitpick and add that Godzilla fits better under Daikaiju, unless you count Zone Fighter. Tokusatsu primarily involves...people...humanoids? Yeah, humanoids. While Godzilla is portrayed by a suit, it's all monsters, which is what Daikaiju Eiga is about.

Herp-derp-EDIT: Allow me to derp and redact my attempted correction, because daikaiju eiga also falls under Tokusatsu. Dammit, Tsubaraya, I'm going to blame you for no reason.

Edited by Shiluku, 03 July 2011 - 03:10 AM.

#4 Senator NinjaShark

Senator NinjaShark
  • Skype:ask, if I like you I might add you. If I don't, I don't bite....Hard

Posted 03 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

Captain Marvelous is mai Husbando.

I have a very soft spot for Tokusatsu shit, it's silly, it's Over the Top, and I Love it. Currently I'm following Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, wich is my first actual Moonspeakvania Sentai series (I did watch Power Rangers however) but I still I Love it, regardless of How many Sentai in-Jokes/references I don't get.

While I'm more of a Fan of Sentai, I did watch some Kamen Rider too, I watched the Saban Kamen Rider show (altough I'm better off not counting it I suppose), and I watched some Kamen Rider Kabuto and the first Episode of W/Double, the Latter two wich seemed very good.

Kaiju stuff I really Love too, nothing better then a Bunch of Guys in Rubber Costumes pretending to be Giant Monster and fighting each other, you almost never can go wrong with that.....almost.

#5 Octarine

Octarine

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

An actual honest-to-god toku thread? Hell yes. I was considering making one of these a while ago, but I was worried that I'd be the only one posting in it. Yes, this is the kind of thing that actually concerns me.

Anyway, yes; I love toku to death. A lot of it's probably Power Rangers nostalgia (although I didn't watch that show nearly as much or for as long as some people), but I've always had a fondness for power suits, transformation sequences and over-the-top low-budget action. Tokusatsu just happens to be basically all about those things.

As far as Sentai goes, I'm watching Gokaiger as it airs and it never ceases to amaze me. The sheer amount of detail that's gone into some of the tributes is frankly astounding (Snack Safari in the first episode? Kyousuke handing out goddamn coffee milk in the Carranger tribute? Holy shit.), to the point that I'm always excited to see the old suits in action, even when I know practically nothing about the series they're from. I'm looking forward to seeing the Gingaman alums and Basco's return next week.

I'm not watching Kamen Rider OOO right now, for some reason; I think I was busy when it started and I could never be bothered to play catch-up. I'm looking forward to Fourze, though, and I've been thinking about getting into Black in the meantime. God, I love that suit.

Much to my shame, I've never seen anything Ultraman, and I'm likewise pretty lost when it comes to series outside the big franchises. I might check out GARO one of these days; I've heard it's really good.

#6 Ekaje

Ekaje

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

Well, some users have mentioned watching these shows, but the Power Ranger and Kamen Rider threads were pretty short lived, so I decided just to make a thread for all of it in hope of making it more active.

Anyway, I only got into watching subbed toku last year when I watched Kamen Rider Double and loved it, and am now waching Gokaiger and the original Kamen Rider.

Edited by Ekaje, 03 July 2011 - 05:08 PM.

#7 \Lennox

\Lennox

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

Spoiler

Oh, and there's more:

Spoiler

Edited by Bipolar Bear, 03 July 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#8 Ekaje

Ekaje

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:38 PM

Waiting for subs for that episode, but I love how

Spoiler

EDIT: Yay, GUIS has subs up.

Edited by Ekaje, 05 July 2011 - 12:19 AM.

#9 Octarine

Octarine

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:13 AM

Spoiler

#10 SHAX Hedgefox

SHAX Hedgefox

PUT THE BUNNY BACK IN THE BOX

• TSS Member
  • 537 Posts:

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:05 AM

Oh my god, tokusatsu thread. FUCK YES!

I occasionally watch Power Rangers and just started to get into Ultraman. Ultra Seven is fucking awesome.

#11 Sean

Sean

I keep seeing you from the dark with you above me

• Retired Staff
  • 8,370 Posts:

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:41 AM

I watched about eight episodes of Kamen Rider W and liked it. I'll pick the show back up someday, now that it's done.

But shortly after seeing those episodes, I learned that Shotaro and Philip don't get together, and by god I was furious.

#12 Ekaje

Ekaje

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

Gokaiger ep 19&20/spoilers and a slight spoiler for the movie:

Spoiler

Edited by Ekaje, 05 July 2011 - 07:23 PM.

#13 Octarine

Octarine

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

Gokaiger ep 19&20/spoilers and a slight spoiler for the movie:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I do hope a little more starts happening with the villains in the twenties, because so far they're probably my only issue with the show. They all seem to have plenty of potential, but aside from Barizorg in the Shinkenger two-parter, Insarn in the Carranger episode (pf) and Basco's various shennanigans, they really haven't had a lot to do. Hell, after the Shinkenger episode, Barizorg basically completely disappeared.

Edited by Octarine, 05 July 2011 - 09:47 PM.

#14 Senator NinjaShark

Senator NinjaShark
  • Skype:ask, if I like you I might add you. If I don't, I don't bite....Hard

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 Shiluku

Shiluku

AH-EE-SO OH-ME

• TSS Member
  • 81 Posts:

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

On a random note, posting in this topic has gotten me back into Ultraman. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Ah well, at least now I have an excuse to buy some Ultra Monster figures. :3

#16 Octarine

Octarine

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

Watchin' some Kamen Rider Amazon. It's the earliest Rider series I've watched... and actually the earliest Toku I've watched outside of the Godzilla series, as far as I know. Amazon actually has my favourite suit of the Showa era, apart from maybe Black: the guy has a fish head. He has an entire fish for a head. It's the cutest thing. Seriously, Amazon can run around and bite people's limbs off all he wants (and he does it constantly), and all I can think is D'AWW LOOKIT THE FISHIE HEAD.

Also, new Gokaiger mech spoilers:

Spoiler

#17 Quacku

Quacku

Now....it's Showtime!

• TSS Member
  • 249 Posts:

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

A tokusatsu thread, not made by me THE MADNESS ;___; I still remember my kamen rider decade thread that DIED HORRIBLY on some old version of SSMB XD

Also reporting in as a fellow toku fan among the sonic fandom :3 I watch all things toku, I've dabbled in all mediums, ultraman (nexus is golden and the zero movies) Godzilla (grew up with this beast), sentai (dekaranger is sex) and my favourite of the bunch KAMEN RIDERR which I shall love till the very day I die, really cant' get enough of it XD

Also a little side note, any of you on dA a member of Toku-Justice? I'm one of the founders =3=

#18 Ekaje

Ekaje

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

Gokaiger 20 (typing this as I watch)

Spoiler

#19 Octarine

Octarine

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:25 AM

So how 'bout that Gokaiger 20?

Spoiler

On a less spoilery note, Kamen Rider OOO is in its final stretch and by September we'll have its successor, Kamen Rider Fourze. I haven't been watching OOO, like I said, but I definitely plan on watching Fourze when it starts. Everything about it just looks and sounds really unique for a Rider series, and even though that's got some people up in arms, I'm always up for something different.

I'm sure everyone who's bothering with this thread has seen it already, but whatever. Here's Fourze's suit:

Posted Image

It's not too popular from what I can tell, but I like it. The belt looks awfully big, but the suit itself and the limb-weapons are very appealing to me. The simple, flat-colour look is pretty unique, and it'll definitely help set this guy apart from his busier-looking predecessors. I've always been a fan of the suit designs that everyone hates, though: Amazon and Decade (and Diend!) are some of my favourites of all time, so I guess I just don't have any taste. What does everybody else think?

Edited by Octarine, 11 July 2011 - 03:57 AM.

#20 Ekaje

Ekaje

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:19 PM

I like the suit too, though the belt is ridiculously bulky. Does make me wonder how far they're going to take the "Riders have X number of changeable parts", with X increasing with each series.

The main thing that makes me excited for Fourze is the staff behind it, which includes the writer from Gurren Lagann, and the director from various Power Ranger series and A to Z.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Ultraman, GARO, Power Rangers, Godzilla, ETC, I AM AMAZON, Furbus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users