Awoo.

Credit for the following post goes to Something Awful user Chibs, who made it for the ADTRW Toku thread ​that I lazily and shamelessly copied completely.

---------------

Tokusatsu shows feature costumed superheroes pitted against evil creatures and/or organizations, through the aid of gadgets, explosions, and face kicking. Spawned back in the 1950s with kaiju films such as Godzilla, and Super Giant, Japan's first costumed superhero commited to film, the tokusatsu genre has spawned many popular series, such as:

Ultraman, the alien crusader who fights to protect Earth

yI0pZ.jpg

Metal Heroes, armor laden cyborgs, transforming humans, or what-have-you, fighting alien and underworld threats alike

jagLL.png

And then the main stars of this thread:

Kamen Rider

HW02C.jpg

Created in 1971 by Shotaro Ishinomori, Kamen Rider shows often feature a single transforming hero who's powers and arsenal is usually directly related to the antagonists of the series, whether biological or technological. Sometimes, additional riders aside from the titular one are introduced, whether to aid them or antagonize them (or both).

Super Sentai

7giIl.jpg

Also started by Ishinomori, the first Super Sentai series was Goranger in 1975. The shows feature 5 (or more) heroes pitted against groups of evil monsters, often alien in origin. More often than not, their opponents go giant-size and require a double beatdown with the assistance of giant support robots.

What's it all boil down to?

TOYS Y'ALL

EGwZT.jpg

Like any kids franchise, toku shows are made to push plastic crack down the gullet of young boys and financially irresponsible adults. Besides the featured gimmick-laden robot and roleplay toys, there are also several series of highly-articulated action figures, such as S.H. Figuarts, S.I.C. (Super Imaginative Chogokin), and the SFX Revoltech series for kaiju and foreign properties.

------------------------------------------------

THE SHOWS

Currently running

Kamen Rider Fourze

c/o: Over-Time | Æsir Subs | TV-Nihon

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters

c/o: Over-Time | TV-Nihon

------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Due to the Great Legend Megaupload Tragedy of 2012, from this point on be prepared to find a lot of dead links I can't do anything about.

NOTE: Many of the following shows can be found at krdl.info

Completed series

Kamen Rider

Edited by Ekaje

In before everyone else starts to think that Ahim is pregnant. What's up with her hands on her belly? XD

Tokusatsu?

I occasionally watch Ultraman. Hell yeah.

Might I also nitpick and add that Godzilla fits better under Daikaiju, unless you count Zone Fighter. Tokusatsu primarily involves...people...humanoids? Yeah, humanoids. While Godzilla is portrayed by a suit, it's all monsters, which is what Daikaiju Eiga is about.

Herp-derp-EDIT: Allow me to derp and redact my attempted correction, because daikaiju eiga also falls under Tokusatsu. Dammit, Tsubaraya, I'm going to blame you for no reason.

Edited by Shiluku

Captain Marvelous is mai Husbando.

I have a very soft spot for Tokusatsu shit, it's silly, it's Over the Top, and I Love it. Currently I'm following Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, wich is my first actual Moonspeakvania Sentai series (I did watch Power Rangers however) but I still I Love it, regardless of How many Sentai in-Jokes/references I don't get.

While I'm more of a Fan of Sentai, I did watch some Kamen Rider too, I watched the Saban Kamen Rider show (altough I'm better off not counting it I suppose), and I watched some Kamen Rider Kabuto and the first Episode of W/Double, the Latter two wich seemed very good.

Kaiju stuff I really Love too, nothing better then a Bunch of Guys in Rubber Costumes pretending to be Giant Monster and fighting each other, you almost never can go wrong with that.....almost.

An actual honest-to-god toku thread? Hell yes. I was considering making one of these a while ago, but I was worried that I'd be the only one posting in it. Yes, this is the kind of thing that actually concerns me.

Anyway, yes; I love toku to death. A lot of it's probably Power Rangers nostalgia (although I didn't watch that show nearly as much or for as long as some people), but I've always had a fondness for power suits, transformation sequences and over-the-top low-budget action. Tokusatsu just happens to be basically all about those things.

As far as Sentai goes, I'm watching Gokaiger as it airs and it never ceases to amaze me. The sheer amount of detail that's gone into some of the tributes is frankly astounding (Snack Safari in the first episode? Kyousuke handing out goddamn coffee milk in the Carranger tribute? Holy shit.), to the point that I'm always excited to see the old suits in action, even when I know practically nothing about the series they're from. I'm looking forward to seeing the Gingaman alums and Basco's return next week.

I'm not watching Kamen Rider OOO right now, for some reason; I think I was busy when it started and I could never be bothered to play catch-up. I'm looking forward to Fourze, though, and I've been thinking about getting into Black in the meantime. God, I love that suit.

Much to my shame, I've never seen anything Ultraman, and I'm likewise pretty lost when it comes to series outside the big franchises. I might check out GARO one of these days; I've heard it's really good.

Well, some users have mentioned watching these shows, but the Power Ranger and Kamen Rider threads were pretty short lived, so I decided just to make a thread for all of it in hope of making it more active.

Anyway, I only got into watching subbed toku last year when I watched Kamen Rider Double and loved it, and am now waching Gokaiger and the original Kamen Rider.

Edited by Ekaje

Could you believe Dr. Nakadai was just revived last week for the Ranger Key powers of Gai?

Edited by Bipolar Bear

Waiting for subs for that episode, but I love how

That powerup was apparently created through sheer indecision. Gold? Silver? Gold? Silver? Fuck it. GOLDSILVER.

EDIT: Yay, GUIS has subs up.

Edited by Ekaje

On any other show, something like the Go-On Wings key would be the subject of an entire episode. In Gokaiger, not only is it not the most important thing to happen in its episode, it's not even worth thirty seconds of attention. Just... boom. Short hallucination and we've got a super awesome half'n'half key now. That's not to say that it's not totally awesome, though; I honestly like the Wings' daggers much better when they're dual-wielded than when Go-Onger used them individually.

I can't say I'm too fond of Gai's Gold Mode, though. I don't have a big problem with the chestpiece like some people do, but the armoured "skirt" is totally ridiculous. It doesn't even do anything; it just... flops around. Mind you, Gold Mode's Final Wave is pretty hardcore, so it's not all bad. I just hope it doesn't get spammed to hell and back like some other toku super modes I could mention.

I also wonder if the ability to merge or otherwise fuck around with the Ranger Keys will be at all relevant when the Gokaigers get their hands on Kaoru's ShinkenRed key. Surely they have to do something ridiculous with that.

Oh my god, tokusatsu thread. FUCK YES!

I occasionally watch Power Rangers and just started to get into Ultraman. Ultra Seven is fucking awesome.

I watched about eight episodes of Kamen Rider W and liked it. I'll pick the show back up someday, now that it's done.

But shortly after seeing those episodes, I learned that Shotaro and Philip don't get together, and by god I was furious.

Gokaiger ep 19&20/spoilers and a slight spoiler for the movie:

Really liked episode 19. Surprised that they gave Gai an upgrade just after his introductory episodes. Wonder if he'll ever get a further one when/if the team gets Basco's keys. But anyway, it was a focus episode on a Don and Gai, so I really liked it.

Also next episode is the Gingaman focus and has the Black Knight actor appearing. Looking forward to it since I really liked Lost Galaxy as a kid, despite Gingaman being pretty much nothing like LG. One thing that does disappoint me is that there hasn't been any early Sentai focus episodes yet, and apparently seven of those are included in the 11 powers they get in the movie.

Edited by Ekaje

Gokaiger ep 19&20/spoilers and a slight spoiler for the movie:

Really liked episode 19. Surprised that they gave Gai an upgrade just after his introductory episodes. Wonder if he'll ever get a further one when/if the team gets Basco's keys. But anyway, it was a focus episode on a Don and Gai, so I really liked it.

Also next episode is the Gingaman focus and has the Black Knight actor appearing. Looking forward to it since I really liked Lost Galaxy as a kid, despite Gingaman being pretty much nothing like LG. One thing that does disappoint me is that there hasn't been any early Sentai focus episodes yet, and apparently seven of those are included in the 11 powers they get in the movie.

Edited by Octarine

On any other show, something like the Go-On Wings key would be the subject of an entire episode. In Gokaiger, not only is it not the most important thing to happen in its episode, it's not even worth thirty seconds of attention. Just... boom. Short hallucination and we've got a super awesome half'n'half key now. That's not to say that it's not totally awesome, though; I honestly like the Wings' daggers much better when they're dual-wielded than when Go-Onger used them individually.

I can't say I'm too fond of Gai's Gold Mode, though. I don't have a big problem with the chestpiece like some people do, but the armoured "skirt" is totally ridiculous. It doesn't even do anything; it just... flops around. Mind you, Gold Mode's Final Wave is pretty hardcore, so it's not all bad. I just hope it doesn't get spammed to hell and back like some other toku super modes I could mention.

I also wonder if the ability to merge or otherwise fuck around with the Ranger Keys will be at all relevant when the Gokaigers get their hands on Kaoru's ShinkenRed key. Surely they have to do something ridiculous with that.

The Only thing that Kinda Bothers me on the Gold Mode is the fact that it has those Little Ranger heads sticking on it's Chest Piece, wich I think looks Weird, honestly. I don't even mind the Skirt thing, wich I think look kinda cool actually.

Agreed on the Final Wave tho.

I hope so, giving only the Sixth Ranger a Super Mode would seem kinda odd to Me, considering that it's usually the Red Ranger who gets all the Cool stuff.

on that Note, I Hope we see some more Personal Final Waves, like Joe's Blue Slash, sometime.

On a random note, posting in this topic has gotten me back into Ultraman. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Ah well, at least now I have an excuse to buy some Ultra Monster figures. :3

Watchin' some Kamen Rider Amazon. It's the earliest Rider series I've watched... and actually the earliest Toku I've watched outside of the Godzilla series, as far as I know. Amazon actually has my favourite suit of the Showa era, apart from maybe Black: the guy has a fish head. He has an entire fish for a head. It's the cutest thing. Seriously, Amazon can run around and bite people's limbs off all he wants (and he does it constantly), and all I can think is D'AWW LOOKIT THE FISHIE HEAD.

Also, new Gokaiger mech spoilers:

The next mech add-on is an Engine to represent Go-Onger, apparently called Machalcon (#13). It can combine with GokaiOh to create an awkward centaur as with GaoLion, and it can also combine with GokaiOh and GoZyuJin to form a different mecha. Since the G3 Princesses are supposed to be appearing in the next Gokaiger movie (I guess they're dragging Kegalesia out of hell for the occasion), it's likely that it'll be unlocked then.

wohaa.jpg

I'm pretty happy about this. I only got around to watching Go-Onger recently (as Go-Anonger's scrubs have come out), and I think I like it a lot more than most people. Sure, it's juvenile and brain-achingly stupid sometimes, but the Engines are really cute, the Gaiark are exactly the kind of sympathetic comedic villains that I tend to love and it has an awesome soundtrack. Speaking of, I hope Machalcon gets an Engine Rap.

A tokusatsu thread, not made by me THE MADNESS ;___; I still remember my kamen rider decade thread that DIED HORRIBLY on some old version of SSMB XD

Also reporting in as a fellow toku fan among the sonic fandom :3 I watch all things toku, I've dabbled in all mediums, ultraman (nexus is golden and the zero movies) Godzilla (grew up with this beast), sentai (dekaranger is sex) and my favourite of the bunch KAMEN RIDERR which I shall love till the very day I die, really cant' get enough of it XD

Also a little side note, any of you on dA a member of Toku-Justice? I'm one of the founders =3=

Gokaiger 20 (typing this as I watch)

Guess it'll be easier for them to interpret Navi with a Sentai fanboy in the crew. Or maybe not.

Whoops, GUiS.

It will be so fun seeing Gai freak out over meeting all the heroes over the course of the series. Wonder what his reaction would have been if he was in 199.

Three keys soundly beat most of the team. Thank goodness for plot convenient strength sliding.

Basco interrupts a scene, and apparently he can use that horn to forcefully take great powers. Foresee him getting away with it at least once in the series, and the team having to take it back. Wonder if he can use it to take the powers the Gokaigers have already gotten.

Marvelous being marvelous and taking on four extras unsuited.

Yay, Lost Galaxy Gingaman!

FUCKING MONKEY

"Well, I've lost enough today, bye, and have a giant monster."

Guess Gingared was just eating doughnuts for most of the episode.

Oh, preview for the Gokaiger movie already?

Another tribute episode next week.

So how 'bout that Gokaiger 20?

That was definitely one of the best tributes we've had, on par with Dekaranger's and Carranger's for sure. Even though I've only seen the first eleven or so episodes of Gingaman, it was a delight to see Hyuuga and Ryouma again, and the Gingaman references that I could recognize were great. The sequence with Hyuuga as GokaiSilver was equal parts awesome and hilarious (I mean, of all the teams to have one member become a Gokaiger...), the action scenes were all quite good, Basco was his usual smug bastard self... about the only thing I could complain about is the complete lack of Zangyack. Well, and the special Gingaman henshin looking sort of lame, but I didn't like the original much either. Mind you, Carranger's original henshin was pretty lousy too, and the one in the Gokaiger tribute still managed to look good, so I dunno.

Basco's choice of Ranger Keys was a bit odd, I guess. WolzardFire, MagiMother and... DekaMaster? Weird. I would've loved to see DekaMaster, DekaSwan and Signalman for the space police theme, and then WolzardFire and Kaoru's ShinkenRed for fiery goodness. Ah, well, Basco's still got all of those keys, so there's always room for that later. For the record, I'm absolutely convinced that in the Gokaiger-verse, Signalman founded SPD. He's from freaking Planet Police, guys; there's no way that's not a thing.

Next episode's Boukenger tribute looks great, too. CHIEFU is one of the best reds of the past couple of years, and he seems like he'd be a great foil for Marvelous. That plus DekaGokaiOh, the Kakurangers teaming up with Shurikenger and motherfucking Ryuuon of all people coming back means I'm pretty excited. Seriously, I've been waiting all season to get a classic villain back in the action.

On a less spoilery note, Kamen Rider OOO is in its final stretch and by September we'll have its successor, Kamen Rider Fourze. I haven't been watching OOO, like I said, but I definitely plan on watching Fourze when it starts. Everything about it just looks and sounds really unique for a Rider series, and even though that's got some people up in arms, I'm always up for something different.

I'm sure everyone who's bothering with this thread has seen it already, but whatever. Here's Fourze's suit:

Fourze.jpg

It's not too popular from what I can tell, but I like it. The belt looks awfully big, but the suit itself and the limb-weapons are very appealing to me. The simple, flat-colour look is pretty unique, and it'll definitely help set this guy apart from his busier-looking predecessors. I've always been a fan of the suit designs that everyone hates, though: Amazon and Decade (and Diend!) are some of my favourites of all time, so I guess I just don't have any taste. What does everybody else think?

Edited by Octarine

I like the suit too, though the belt is ridiculously bulky. Does make me wonder how far they're going to take the "Riders have X number of changeable parts", with X increasing with each series.

The main thing that makes me excited for Fourze is the staff behind it, which includes the writer from Gurren Lagann, and the director from various Power Ranger series and A to Z.

That's a good point. The thing that really got me excited for Gokaiger before it started wasn't so much the prospect of seeing old suits and characters again, but the knowledge that its head writer was going to be the man responsible for Abaranger, Dekaranger and Kamen Rider Kuuga. I can get used to lousy suits and gimmicks most of the time, but it's hard to stay invested when the story and characters aren't interesting.

That belt, though... I mean, I understand that the ability to make a toy out of it is the top priority when it comes to designing these things, but it looks just plain difficult to fight in. Maybe that's why they got Koichi to direct; the more crazy wirework there is, the less the actor needs to actually move around in the suit.

Edited by Octarine

Apparently the audio is from a promo we don't have footage from, but the pictures show some shots of the supporting cast, as well as some of Fourze's attachments (Rocket, Missile, Drill, Radar) which you can hear being called out near the end if you listen closely.

EDIT: The video preview image is great.

Edited by Ekaje

Oh boy a toku thread for me to share my thoughts on shows with sweaty Japanese stuntmen in silly costumes <3

I've dipped into a bit of most of the major franchises at some post. I've seen most of the Godzilla films and have watched numerous Kamen Rider shows (my introduction was ther Spirits manga, but my first real series was Kabuto). Like most of you, I grew up with Power Rangers. However, I only just started watching sentai (Gokaiger), and I'm enjoying it so far. I plan on watching Jetman eventually, but I heard that the subs for that kinda suck, so eh.

I have little experience with Ultraman. I've only seen about three episodes of the original, which is inexcusable considering I bought the entire series on dvd almost a year ago. >_> Oddly, my own mother has seen more than me. She grew up watching the American dub during the weekends (which was not widely syndicated, as far as I know.) I guess I must be genetically predisposed to liking this stuff, heh.

I have never, ever seen a Gamera movie, nor have I watched any Metal Heroes shows. I will... eventually.

And... yeah. I just want to share a little something that would appeal to you Godzilla fans that happen to collect action figures... SH MONSTERARTS GODZILLA AND MECHAGODZILLA!

http://tamashii.jp/special/shma/index.html

ap_20110714012313232.jpg?ib_____Duqe4sH.J

ap_20110714012034747.jpg?ib_____DKWCKjPzz

ap_20110714012546362.jpg?ib_____DwRKIBz1_

ap_20110714012430940.jpg?ib_____D2dFDY6Ng

The wallet rape will be so worth it...

Oh boy a toku thread for me to share my thoughts on shows with sweaty Japanese stuntmen in silly costumes <3

I've dipped into a bit of most of the major franchises at some post. I've seen most of the Godzilla films and have watched numerous Kamen Rider shows (my introduction was ther Spirits manga, but my first real series was Kabuto). Like most of you, I grew up with Power Rangers. However, I only just started watching sentai (Gokaiger), and I'm enjoying it so far. I plan on watching Jetman eventually, but I heard that the subs for that kinda suck, so eh.

I have little experience with Ultraman. I've only seen about three episodes of the original, which is inexcusable considering I bought the entire series on dvd almost a year ago. >_> Oddly, my own mother has seen more than me. She grew up watching the American dub during the weekends (which was not widely syndicated, as far as I know.) I guess I must be genetically predisposed to liking this stuff, heh.

I have never, ever seen a Gamera movie, nor have I watched any Metal Heroes shows. I will... eventually.

And... yeah. I just want to share a little something that would appeal to you Godzilla fans that happen to collect action figures... SH MONSTERARTS GODZILLA AND MECHAGODZILLA!

http://tamashii.jp/special/shma/index.html

ap_20110714012313232.jpg?ib_____Duqe4sH.J

ap_20110714012034747.jpg?ib_____DKWCKjPzz

ap_20110714012546362.jpg?ib_____DwRKIBz1_

ap_20110714012430940.jpg?ib_____D2dFDY6Ng

The wallet rape will be so worth it...

DAMMIT.

I JUST GOT A DINOZAUR.

Any idea on a price yet?

The Big G will be 5,775 yen, Mechagodzilla will be 6,825.

With the current exchange rate, they're $73 and $86, respectively. Expect many lighter piggybanks for those who want both.