Awoo.

Oh hell yeah a Toku thread. I love me some Gokaiger. I don't think I could have picked a better sentai series to start with.

Also, if S Factor's zone names are any indication, I'm a huge Beetleborgs fan. Back in the day that was my show. A shame all the cool kids had to mock me for it though :/

I hope the break for PR: Samurai isn't too long. I really wanna see a US Gokaiger, but we'll probably have to get through Goseiger first :/

I hope the break for PR: Samurai isn't too long. I really wanna see a US Gokaiger, but we'll probably have to get through Goseiger first :/

Edited by Octarette

The Big G will be 5,775 yen, Mechagodzilla will be 6,825.

With the current exchange rate, they're $73 and $86, respectively. Expect many lighter piggybanks for those who want both.

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer the older Super Sentai shows over the newer ones. I much prefer low-budget handmade special effects over low-budget computer graphics. I like robots that look like real physical objects instead of 3D cartoon objects, too.

Choujin Sentai Jetman is also one of the best kid's shows I've ever seen from any country, period.

It varies for me. On one hand, CG effects can make attacks and transformation sequences look much more interesting than they might with practical effects alone. That's mostly what Kamen Rider uses its CG for, so I don't usually have a problem with it there. When CG has to represent an object, though, I generally don't like it. The CG shots of mecha in Super Sentai are nearly always really horrible to look at, and not in a charming way. It's okay when it's used sparingly or when it really suits the tone of the show (Abaranger, Go-Onger), but for the most part I prefer guys in suits. I do have a bit of a bias towards Sentai series from before the 2000s for that reason, although CG's never enough to put me off a show completely.

That's not to say that special effects from older series couldn't be genuinely awful too. I adore Choushinsei Flashman, for instance, but the effects for Blue Flash's Prism Ball (draw a blue cartoon circle over Blue Flash -> cut to stock footage of Zolors exploding) were just plain embarrassing and I'm sure that CG could've done a better job of it. I have no idea why nobody on the production team stopped and thought that it might've been a little beyond their means to make that look good.

Scans of Fourze stuff.

A firefighter form/weapon

1310798377217.jpg?t=1310832843

Electricity based form/weapon

1310798426212.jpg?t=1310832846

Construction robot that can turn into a vehicle and combine with the bike.

1310798467261.jpg?t=1310833233

These things look neat, but they confuse me. The season is space themed, but now we're getting Firefighter/Electrician/Construcion forms.

EDIT2: More scans

All the forms and attachments on one page.

1310837026007.jpg?t=1310840118

Picture of the belt.

1310839090939.jpg?t=1310840115

More pictures of the belt and attachments, also shows the parts that attach to the belt.

1310839138586.jpg?t=1310840116

EDIT3: Another thing.

In the vein of OOO's Candroids, Fourze is going to have helpers called Foodroids that look, well, like food.

fourze%2Bfoodroid2.jpg

EDIT: On the subject of CG, I guess it's necessary for some things, but outside of transformation sequences and attack effects, the low budget CG in tokusatsu looks terrible. It's really jarring in Gokaiger seeing them switch between the suit and CG mechs, and in Double, it was really noticeable when they used CG to replace the Rider in some the shots in aerial battles.

Edited by Ekaje

EDIT3: Another thing.

In the vein of OOO's Candroids, Fourze is going to have helpers called Foodroids that look, well, like food.

fourze%2Bfoodroid2.jpg

Edited by Octarette

Gokai 20:

This episode was really nice, good to see the tributes aren't going to go back to Gao/Geki level (guest only in a few scenes, "Hey, you're pretty cool, here's my power.", use that team's keys, win). Also nice that there's going to be episodes for some of the acquisitions in 199. The reference to Boukenger VS Super Sentai and the end by BoukenRed knowing about AkaRed was pretty neat too.

My only complaint about this one would be how Silver's Gold mode was pretty forced, Ryuuwon could have gone straight to giant and nothing would have changed, but gotta make kids want the toy I guess.

Edited by Ekaje

Thoughts on last eps of OOO and Gokaiger.

I think, the last week of Gokai and OOO had to be the best in their respective series, I don't know about you guys but the execution of both eps was fantastic, the drama in OOO, that fight scene between Ankh and Eiji, Hina's doubts and the whole crowd shouting O's was just breathtaking. It felt like a proper Kamen Rider Moment.

As for Gokai, one of my favourite Reds reappearing and in a blinding episode that really helped with the theme of the episode, pirates and adventurers go really well together XD I loved the exchanges between Marvellous and Akashi, proper Reds right there, also I loved how they didn't make Marvellous out to be an amatuer. You know the drill when mentors come back they often ridicule their successor, but both felt like they were on equal footing, especially with Luka (oh how I love her~) providing some nice moments whilst with the two reds.

Oh and that boukenger theme, once again Gokaiger sends tingles down my spine, loved every moment of that henshin XD

Currently watching Kamen Rider Blade, just finished episode 3 not too long ago. Given the bad rep the first few episodes of Blade have, I'm actually somewhat enjoying it (although the first episode was almost incomprehensible, and Kenzaki's shouts during battle come off as incredibly whiny.) Does it get worse or was what i heard just a bit too overblown?

And holy shit, OOO is already on episode 42? I gots some catchin' up to do!

The trailer has gotten me fairly excited for Fouze, it's been a few years since we had a rider show with a huge cast, and I mean the dude has a drill kick, and it's main writer worked on gurren lagann and HIS POSE IS HIM POINTING TO THE SKY, this is the rider that will pierce the heavens...hopefully XD

Also Over-Time has the new eps of OOO and Gokaiger up, they were especially speedy this weekend! http://over-ti.me/

EDIT: I forgot to add, the All combo album has been uploaded, just wondering am I allowed to post the download link here?

Edited by DSP

Yeah, I'm pretty pumped for Fourze. It's kind of funny, actually, since there's basically no faster way to make me wary of a series than to set it in a high school, but just about everything else about it is really appealing to me. The suit and the gimmicks, what we've heard about the story so far, the staff... all I need is an awesome opening theme and I'm totally sold. The cast looks pretty interesting as well; I'm crossing my fingers that the fairly large number of girls hanging around might mean that we'll get a female rider this year, but I know better than to expect it. Stupid little Japanese boys not buying toys that are associated with girls. That country needs a Friendship is Magic dub to straighten 'em out, stat.

EDIT: I forgot to add, the All combo album has been uploaded, just wondering am I allowed to post the download link here?

I've barely been keeping up with OOO, but good lawd is that combo medley godly. The inclusion of the OOO Driver's singing in the various combo themes is a really cool idea, and it makes the songs feel much more connected with the series than they have been in previous shows, if that makes sense. It's cool, anyway.

EDIT: Gokaiger ramblings for the week.

Meh. I really wasn't feeling it this week, which is a real pity after getting possibly the best tribute yet last time. The dilemma wasn't particularly interesting, the kid was fairly bland and we didn't learn a whole lot about Joe. The concept of the Zangyack going after some kind of artifact might've been more interesting if 1. It wasn't done so well last week, and 2. It wasn't also the Zangyack's plan in the last two filler episodes, both of which were better than this one. Even the mech fight was pretty boring, featuring more ShinkenGokaiOh spam and some pretty questionable effects. The Abaranger drill tribute was nice, though, I guess. There were some other good moments, too, like Gai finally getting fed up with all of the team mix-ups and Insarn's pathetic little whine when she didn't get to make the monster grow, but overall it was a bit of a dud.

I'm expecting better things next week, though, since we're getting not just another tribute (GoGoV) but our traditional girl-focused episode as well, not to mention another appearance by Basco. We're getting what looks like our first tribute episode without a red returning, too, and the first use of the Fiveman powers in the series.

Edited by Octarette

• 3 weeks later...

So, new episodes.

Gokai 24:

This episode was insane. The plot was absolutely crazy, while the fights were really good (really liked the real time transformation and roll call). Zealousto is the best character

OOO 45:

Things are really ramping up, though I'm still worried about time. The next two episodes will probably be about Gamel and Uva becoming complete, 1-3 medals smashed, dead, which would leave one episode for Ankh and Maki. Guess might put more plot in with a few scenes of Gamel crying about Mezool and then "oh no, complete Gamel *smash*". And yay, Date's back.

Oh, hey. Don't need to be paranoid about double-posting anymore.

Two Gokai episodes to ramble about this time. All ye who fear spandex-and-rubber-suit spoilers, beware!

The GoGoV tribute was quite good. It was nice to see a tribute episode without a Red, and while I haven't seen much of GoGoV, GoPink seems like a pretty cool lady. The tribute fight was short but sweet, although GokaiSilver vs. Zubaan being spliced in there was a bit awkward, and the mecha fight was pretty good too. Okay, so the GoGoV part of the fight was just a ton of lousy CGI, but it was still cool to see a non-mecha Great Power do something really substantial to GokaiOh.

The most recent episode, aside from including a truly ridiculous number of finishing moves, was great too. Having Zealousto return was a really fun idea, and I love that they managed to squeeze in another little Carranger reference (maybe?) by having him work in a mundane food-related job like Gynamo. The only thing I kind of regret is that the monster of the week got so little screentime; I could totally see a whole episode revolving around his propaganda shenanigans without having to make room for the Zealousto stuff as well.

Also, Zealousto/Takoyaki Guy's Mom OTP. I totally want to see their freaky half-alien baby in the finale.

I like that a lot; it's very different from what we had in W and (from what I've seen) OOO. I hope it's really an accurate indicator of the kind of stuff we'll be hearing in the series... it does seem to match up with the music in that promo, at least. Dammit, now I want to hear the main theme more than ever.

Gokaiger!

Just a great episode this week. I mean, we had three members of a team, two villains (well, sorta) and a mech all returning from a past series, and a series that I really liked at that. The episode could've just coasted on that and not really done anything and still been entertaining, but instead we got some of the best action and effects we've seen since the first couple of episodes. Even the mecha fight was really entertaining, and not just because Furaimaru was in it. My favourite little moment was the Liveman Gokai Change; it was a great example of a classic transformation sequence revamped for the modern age perfectly.

I do find it kind of random that the Hurricangers of all people are the ones who are willing to come to blows over who has the right to their Ranger Keys. I mean, even the pirate-fightin' Gingaman were only a little weirded out by the thought of the Gokaigers using their power; the Hurricangers have even less reason to be upset with the Gokaigers than Doggie. I guess maybe they've got some kind of test of character planned? Whatever; if it means a team-up, I'll take it.

15 second Fourze promo, showing off the construction mech.

Since there isn't much discussion value in just 15 seconds, has anyone heard about Saban copyrighting "Power Rider"? People are speculating it could be for using Decade episodes in PR: Samurai (not sure if Saban has the rights to the Decade eps, which is where the crossover really happened, but I've heard they do from some), another attempt at adapting Kamen Rider, or something unrelated. Personally, I'd like it to be another adaptation, because even if it's really cheesy to us, it'll be something for kids to watch, and maybe even lead them to watch the originals someday, sort of like how watching Power Rangers as a kid led me to Sentai and Kamen Rider.

EDIT:

Penultimate OOO

NIce episode. Though once again I'm worried about them being able to wrap up Uva and Maki fights, as well as things like whatever all those Cells are going to do, and what's going to happen to Ankh.

Edited by Ekaje

Since there isn't much discussion value in just 15 seconds, has anyone heard about Saban copyrighting "Power Rider"? People are speculating it could be for using Decade episodes in PR: Samurai (not sure if Saban has the rights to the Decade eps, which is where the crossover really happened, but I've heard they do from some), another attempt at adapting Kamen Rider, or something unrelated. Personally, I'd like it to be another adaptation, because even if it's really cheesy to us, it'll be something for kids to watch, and maybe even lead them to watch the originals someday, sort of like how watching Power Rangers as a kid led me to Sentai and Kamen Rider.

I heard about that, and I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. I don't have a problem with another adaptation of Kamen Rider, but I can't imagine anyone trying to adapt the Decade/Shinkenger crossover without a Decade-based show to give it context, and there's no way anyone would be crazy enough to adapt Decade as the first-ever entry in a series. Double seems to be the safe bet for the show they'd start with, but I wouldn't be surprised to see anything post-Kabuto. Well, probably not Kiva... he's a bit too theme-y, if that makes sense.

Speaking of rumours and previews (Gokai spoilers):

BlackCondor.jpg

Jetman's Black Condor has been confirmed to show up in a Jetman tribute fairly soon. Liveman's Yellow Lion and Abaranger's AbareBlue will also be returning for episodes in the near future. It's also pretty certain that there'll be a Go-Onger tribute eventually because of Machalcon/KanzenGokaiOh, so that's four tributes confirmed. It's a bit funny that half of those have already had their powers unlocked by the Gokaigers in the movie and Gai's episodes, but it's nice to see that they haven't been forgotten ('specially Abaranger <3).

Anyway, with those and Hurricanger out of the way and no new powers unlocked in the summer movie as far as I've heard, these nine are left:

Battle Fever J

Sun Vulcan

Changeman

Flashman

Maskman

Fiveman

Kakuranger

Ohranger

Megaranger

With 24~ episodes left, I hope there's room to give tribute episodes to all of those series (and maybe another couple of the ones that were unlocked earlier without proper tributes, hint hint Bioman) without having to resort to shoving more into another movie. Not that Gokaiger vs. Flashman wouldn't be awesome, mind.

Edited by Octarine

OOO Final:

Pretty good ending, though they had to go fast with some things to make it. King TaToBa was cool, but was destroyed minutes after it's introduction, which I think is a pretty good representation of what happens to a lot of the forms and weapons in OOO, really cool, but almost immediately discarded/downplayed most of the time.

Uva gets dicked over once again after getting what he wants, and is turned into a rock that turns everything into medals. The last fight was cool, with Ankh giving Eiji all his remaining medals, including the cracked one that's basically "him" allowing for a really nice final battle (six medal giga scan finally), and I was pretty surprised that they actually killed off Ankh, thought some random thing was going to allow him to exist as a human without Shingo.

Well, all's well that ends well, Eiji has a desire and is travelling again, Shingo and Hina are together, Gotou's a cop, Date's a doctor, and Cakeboss is still a crazy old man making cakes and yelling at things.

Overall, I'd say OOO didn't come close to what it could have been, but it's still a okay/good season that's worth a watch.

Edited by Ekaje

Space Time!

Interesting start, guess we'll be seeing how Kengo's dad and the school principal used to work together at the space base eventually.

OP song was a bit odd at first, but it's grown on me, still don't like it as much as other Rider theme songs though. I think I saw an ET reference in it as well (see sig).

From the start, I already really like Gentaro, he just walks in and is like "You're going to be my friend, you're going to be my friend, and hey asshole, you're going to be my bro".

Also, this show is so 80s, from Gentaro's...everything, to the cliques, to the stuck up cheerleader who is the girlfriend of the leader of the American football team (who's half-American) who starts a fight in the lunchroom.

Once we get to the fight, I liked all the property damage, throwing each other into desks and walls, busting a hole in the roof, outright hitting the school with missiles, school's gonna be in shambles by the end.

Liked Fourze's powers too, Kengo works as the "Hey, here's what your powers do" but doesn't have to be there to toss switches, Eiji's fights were "TaToBa, get beat up, Ankh throws medals he needs, win" for a good chunk of the beginning of OOO, so it's nice to see that Gentaro will be able to do well on his own. Also really liked how the switches have multiple uses and work together like W's memories.

Gokaiger looked good, but I'm not going to comment yet since all I've seen of it is a pixelated stream.

Edited by Ekaje

Gokaiger:

A very good episode, I think. The whole thing had a very creepy, suspenseful vibe, which was a nice change from Gokaiger's usual upbeat tone. Not that I mind that, but some variety was certainly nice; I wouldn't mind other "dark" Sentai series like Liveman or Timeranger (if it gets a tribute) to be treated similarly. I love that the episode mentioned the other members of the team, too, and even made them integral to the plot even though they didn't show up. It's a pity I've never watched Jetman; I would've loved to see that kind of thing in the tributes for series I've actually seen. Also: Sentai God is hot.

...I think the episode might've been a little too thorough with its tributes, though. It wasn't respectful toward Jetman so much as it was reverent, and the constant repetition of how ~special~ Jetman was got kind of annoying after a while. The Dekaranger and Carranger tributes were written by their original writers too, Inoue, and they managed to keep it in their pants.

Edited by Octarine