Awoo.

Sonic Unlimited (formerly Sonic 2006 2D)

Lightspines

This game continues to impress me. It's unfathomable why it exists but it's still really really well done.

I for one like watching the train wreck keep going. its gone farther then any 2006 fan game project has gone so far so I have to give them kudos for that.

And hell, if they do complete the impossible and make a full 2d version of 2006 then at least with the next game they remake we can expect 2 things.

A: it'll be fully accurate right down to the letter which is both good and bad

&

B: it will get completed not dropped like 1000s of other projects before hand.

Edited by goku262002

This game continues to impress me. It's unfathomable why it exists but it's still really really well done.

...except it has the sinking sand that you won't able to tell and dodge the first several times in this game no matter how hard you try. Unless that it's fixed separating the colors of which is the sinking sand what's not the sinking sand, it's not really really well done.

...except it has the sinking sand that you won't able to tell and dodge the first several times in this game no matter how hard you try. Unless that it's fixed separating the colors of which is the sinking sand what's not the sinking sand, it's not really really well done.

But their goal is to make an exact 2D translation of the original game, so in that sense it is really really well done.

As impressive as it is though, once they've finished I'd love to see them make a "fixed" version that does do stuff like what you've just described.

This is a neat little fan game that tries to replicate Sonic 2006, but in 2D:

It's been in development for about 4 years or so, and it's finally taking off.

i do not like how they tried to mimic the 3d version to the point they caught themselves with the very same flaws the 2006 had.

This is me just being critic, because I can. (Also going to college for game design makes you a bit of a nit picky person)

-Barely any rings. I'm not saying they should be lots and lots of rings, but seriously, I saw very very few rings in the first level.

-Homing attack. I am very critical about the homing attack because it's an effect that is mostly implied for the 3d games because it makes aiming at enemies who you may not be able to tell how far away they are (or people like myself who lack depth perception) can be guided to hit the enemy more accurately. In my honest opinion (keyword here:opinion) is the homing attack is important feature for 3d games for people like me, but in the 2d world? I just don't really see a use for it and sonic 4 failed in that.

-Imitation of the havoc physic engine: having the new system was suppose to knock robots through breakable walls and objects and sometimes into other robots. Since it was in a 3D setting it also meant that the enemies were not set right behind each other. THIS however has enemies lined up all nice and neatly. So what does that mean? Well naturally you hit the first one, the other ones are instantly destroyed? Why even have them then? Very broken.

-the levels looked very empty in the desert areas. Now I know in the 3d version obviously it's not going to be like sandpolis zone. but if you're trying to give it that 2d feel of what fans love, you need to at least a template around the surrounding area to make me feel like im going through ruins or actually going through scenes. it almost looks TOO flat.

-AI seems very utterly retarded. Even motorbugs seem to be more of a threat than these enemies that are instant killed with a homing attacks. And the big robots? Their one trick to launch their use only once arm and then wail away with spamming homing attacks? At least make it have some sort of electrical shield between homing attacks if you're going to do that stuff.

-Despite this is the 3d game turned 2D, I just don't like how they seem to want to mimic almost everything and just replace the enemies, it almost feels lack of creativeness and lazy to not come up with own ideas with the enemy layouts and scenes.

-Silver and Iblis boss fights: Good lord, I for one do NOT like to fight enemies several screens in length, keep it to one screen please. nothing like getting hit with a hurled object and you don't know why. Also Silver's grab? Why couldn't they at least do something interesting with it or some sort of attack if you get caught up in some aura thing then you're grabbed? Having an invisible wall is rage inducing.

Now onto the brighter points so it does deserve some praise obviously. I'm not too critical of a guy.

+Voice overs and sounds are neat.

+I really like the bounce feature, I think it could really lead it's way to the 2D world again since Sonic 3&Knuckles had the air bubble. would like to see more of that than the homing attack.

+Running on the walls was very nice, I really liked that.

+The Iblis fight looks pretty well done, reminds me sort of like some boss fights in the older sonic games.

I'm sure I could nit pick more, but it seems like I've said more than enough.

I can't believe people are still criticising this game as if it's not an effort to be exactly the same as 2006. We know it's bad, we know it's a stupid idea, but that doesn't mean it's not well made. Sheesh. There's been 13 pages of this.

While your review is completely valid from an outsider's perspective Dreamhog, you ask all these rhetorical questions like "why don't they do *blah blah*? Why did they do *blah blah*? The answer to all of these is "because they want to make it as much like Sonic 2006 in 2D as possible".

• Thumbs Up 2

It shouldn't take much time to develop Shadow's story, considering a bunch of his levels are just Sonic's levels.

I can't believe people are still criticising this game as if it's not an effort to be exactly the same as 2006. We know it's bad, we know it's a stupid idea, but that doesn't mean it's not well made. Sheesh. There's been 13 pages of this.

While your review is completely valid from an outsider's perspective Dreamhog, you ask all these rhetorical questions like "why don't they do *blah blah*? Why did they do *blah blah*? The answer to all of these is "because they want to make it as much like Sonic 2006 in 2D as possible".

Just because I ask rhetorical questions does not mean that they are not good questions. They could of done a lot with the revision but instead they wanted to make 2006 (aka the worst game in series in most opinions) into a 2D thing that as far as I can see, is just as terrible as the 3D counterpart minus the glitches.

These were my opinions. You have every right to have your own opinions. But don't try to force your own opinions upon my own. Yeah, I get it, they remade a 3D game and made it 2D but that does not mean it was a good idea.

You even said it yourself:

"We know it's bad, we know it's a stupid idea, but that doesn't mean it's not well made."

So you can voice opinions but I can't? Seriously? This is really happening right now?

Edited by Dreamhog

I still find this more fun then the actual 06 because it's faster and it's not bugged to hell. Still not an amazing work though.

Just because I ask rhetorical questions does not mean that they are not good questions.

But they aren't. The answer is "because they wanted to make it exactly like 2006" to all of them. If they wanted to improve it, and yet didn't, then yes, they would be very good questions.

They could of done a lot with the revision but instead they wanted to make 2006 (aka the worst game in series in most opinions) into a 2D thing that as far as I can see, is just as terrible as the 3D counterpart minus the glitches.

It was just your tone. The review style in which you wrote it implied to me that you thought they should have done all these things regardless of the goal of the project - to faithfully recreate the original game in 2D.

These were my opinions. You have every right to have your own opinions. But don't try to force your own opinions upon my own.

I'm sorry what? No-one was forcing anything.

You even said it yourself:

"We know it's bad, we know it's a stupid idea, but that doesn't mean it's not well made."

So you can voice opinions but I can't? Seriously? This is really happening right now?

Don't be ridiculous. I'm just saying your review was somewhat redundant because you're judging it based on something it isn't meant to be. It'd be like negatively reviewing a classic-style Sonic game because it doesn't have homing attacks and havok-esque physics.

Sonic 2006 2D isn't meant to be an improved remake so it seems silly to criticise it for that just because that's what you want it to be. I wanted Sonic Colours to be a Sonic Unleashed-style 3D platformer, but I don't think it's a bad game because it wasn't and therefore I didn't like it that much.

S'all I'm saying.

But they aren't. The answer is "because they wanted to make it exactly like 2006" to all of them. If they wanted to improve it, and yet didn't, then yes, they would be very good questions.

It was just your tone. The review style in which you wrote it implied to me that you thought they should have done all these things regardless of the goal of the project - to faithfully recreate the original game in 2D.

I'm sorry what? No-one was forcing anything.

Don't be ridiculous. I'm just saying your review was somewhat redundant because you're judging it based on something it isn't meant to be. It'd be like negatively reviewing a classic-style Sonic game because it doesn't have homing attacks and havok-esque physics.

Sonic 2006 2D isn't meant to be an improved remake so it seems silly to criticise it for that just because that's what you want it to be. I wanted Sonic Colours to be a Sonic Unleashed-style 3D platformer, but I don't think it's a bad game because it wasn't and therefore I didn't like it that much.

S'all I'm saying.

That's why they're called redundant. I wasn't looking for actual answers. If I wanted actual answers I'd go and ask them myself. What's also redundant is this...whatever it is you're trying to do here.

No one asked me for my review and I did it anyways, do you know why? Because I can. Because I WANTED TO. It wasn't for you. If you don't like it, don't read it. Don't agree with it? THEN DON'T.

I swear, what are you not getting? i UNDERSTAND what they were doing. That however does not mean I have to like it. Which I don't. And I fully explained why even if it was trying to be loyal or not.

is there any other confusion that I need to clear up here? Do I need clarification next time i want to voice my opinion and critique it?

Thanks for bumping this topic, reading the first 10-some pages was a hilarious trip down memory lane.

So, they're making Shadow's story now? Gotta commend them for their drive and attention to detail... it's still a shame that this game is bad.

But we've divulged on this enough already, so let me break up the pessimism with a REAL improvement to Sonic 2006:

I'm throwing my money at the screen and nothing is happening!

• Thumbs Up 1

That was amazing. You know, what if the dog could be replaced by one of the NPC's, like one of the old guys?

what if the dog could save Elise? and then get killed, and then revived with a kiss?

wouldn't that just be magical?

That's why they're called redundant. I wasn't looking for actual answers. If I wanted actual answers I'd go and ask them myself. What's also redundant is this...whatever it is you're trying to do here.

No one asked me for my review and I did it anyways, do you know why? Because I can. Because I WANTED TO. It wasn't for you. If you don't like it, don't read it. Don't agree with it? THEN DON'T.

I swear, what are you not getting? i UNDERSTAND what they were doing. That however does not mean I have to like it. Which I don't. And I fully explained why even if it was trying to be loyal or not.

is there any other confusion that I need to clear up here? Do I need clarification next time i want to voice my opinion and critique it?

Geez, calm down. I cannot believe how personally you are taking this. O_o You are perfectly entitled to voice your opinion, just as I am to voice my opinion on your opinion.

Geez, calm down. I cannot believe how personally you are taking this. O_o You are perfectly entitled to voice your opinion, just as I am to voice my opinion on your opinion.

Just as I am to voice my opinion about your opinion about my opinion. SEE WHAT I DID THERE?

Mindblown

Just as I am to voice my opinion about your opinion about my opinion. SEE WHAT I DID THERE?

Mindblown

You don't have to be a dick about it though.

Anyway...

Boy, oh boy, I sure do hope that I don't have to use any vehicles in this "game". I say this because, man, it would certainly suck to use them from a sidescrolling perspective, am I right?

Anyway...

Boy, oh boy, I sure do hope that I don't have to use any vehicles in this "game". I say this because, man, it would certainly suck to use them from a sidescrolling perspective, am I right?