Awoo.

Sonic Unlimited (formerly Sonic 2006 2D)

Lightspines

It looks good, yet absolutely horrendous at the same time...

Like many others have posted, this could have used some better level design. It's waaaaaaaay too boring. It's funny that they replicated all the flaws from 06 in this game. I think the developers just did this for the lulz, there's no other explanation. Well, that and that they suck at level design. :lol:

Funny you should say that, because I "recognised" every piece of footage as following the design of a 3D level as faithfully as possible in 2D. They really are going all the way with this, though of course the issue is that some 3D gameplay just doesn't translate very interestingly into 2D, homing attack chains in particular.

though of course the issue is that some 3D gameplay just doesn't translate very interestingly into 2D, homing attack chains in particular.
Homing attack chains aren't interesting in 3D, either. Same goes for most of '06's level design...

Homing attack in Sonic 2006 was boring as fuck...Shadow did a better job at that...at least it LOOKED somewhat engaging.

What the hell happened to this?

• Thumbs Up 1

Homing attack chains aren't interesting in 3D, either.

I raise you Holoska Day Act 2-2 and Spagonia Day Act 5 from Sonic Unleashed HD's DLC packs. Hell, to a lesser extent entry onto the leftmost route near the start of the main Chun-Nan Day Stage in Unleashed SD, Asteroid Coaster's various routes through the asteroids, and getting the extra life before the platform with the light shoes in Sonic Adventure 2's metal harbour.

These are all examples of how the homing attack does have merit as a form of challenging, or at the very least decision requiring platforming.

Unless you were just talking about 2006, in which case yeah they don't do much with it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gotta love the fanbase when a good-hearted, talented fan project gets slammed. [/sarcasm]

As a massive supporter of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), I would absolutely adore playing this. I find it fascinating how they've skillfully translated the exact 3D environments into a workable 2D platform. Keeping the homing attack, enemy health bars and attack patterns all adds to distinguish it from the "let's try and fix it for the classic fans" that I feared while buffering the video. This is a truly faithful adaptation and I'm hugely excited to learn more about it.

But even if it were a new version of Sonic Labyrinth, and even if I had no interest whatsoever in playing it, I still wouldn't criticise the skill, time and effort put into creating the project. Stuff like this should be supported and encouraged at all times.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Gotta love the fanbase when a good-hearted, talented fan project gets slammed.[/sarcasm]

As a massive supporter of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), I would absolutely adore playing this.

There's your answer. You happen to have liked 2006. Lots of others, including myself, didn't. What did you expect?

Besides, some of us have said plenty times that we're not putting down their efforts. We just feel sad that they've wasted said effort on this.

Like I said, a waste of talent. But an even bigger waste of time. Possibly even a waste of life.

Keeping the homing attack, enemy health bars and attack patterns all adds to distinguish it from the "let's try and fix it for the classic fans" that I feared while buffering the video.

Now that was just unnecessary.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

... Why would you recreate 06's flaws?

I mean I know its supposed to be a 2D version of the game but... why would you put so much time and effort into recreating a game hardly anyone liked, and not change anything about it?

Yeah, that's my problem with it. I'd actually been thinking about designing a 2Dmake of Sonic 06 myself when I have the time and knowledge. While I agree with most of the thread that this isn't really the right way to go around it, I must disagree that its a pointless prospect to begin with. While I understand why it would be hard to get why one would try to remake a bad game, I look at Sonic 06 and see a scrambled Rubik's Cube. All the pieces are there; I'm just tempted to put them in a coherent and solid pattern. I mean, for one, the game's level design actually isn't that bad; its just that the means of traversing it that were badly broken. I can honestly see the game easily being well adapted into 2D; scenes like the train chase or the "stealth" scenes in white acropolis I think would be more intense in a 2D environment.

As for the story, I've had crazy thoughts about that. Mainly about Mephiles' role and Elise's personality. I'm not going to go into detail about what I think would make the story better, as that's mostly subjective, but there's a lot of fanon out there that fills the holes rather well.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's your answer.

Eh, not really. I admit to being a huge supporter and that's fine, but as I said, my feelings would be exactly the same even if this were a HD remake of Sonic Labyrinth. I made it clear because I want to praise the raw talent, ingenuity and (frankly incredible, seeing some of the reactions) guts of the project.

I'm so proud to be a member of a fanbase which is so diverse and so talented, who'll create such things to support even the darkest hours of Sonic's history, and celebrate everything that makes up the franchise, good or bad. Sonic is what he is today because of all the highs and lows and they all deserve recognition. And now, such projects cancel out all the negative stereotyping that burdens the fanbase, all the whining about physics and green eyes and nonsense. Somebody has sat down and said "Okay... Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)... not really perfect, let's be honest... but hey, it is what it is, and I'm going to make a tribute 2D version for the benefit and enjoyment of fellow Sonic fans!" My respect for such an attitude is boundless, and I wish I had the technical skills to support them, and all the other fangames and fan projects. As it stands, all I can do is write, so I write.

Besides, some of us have said plenty times that we're not putting down their efforts. We just feel sad that they've wasted said effort on this.

Like I said, a waste of talent. But an even bigger waste of time. Possibly even a waste of life.

Blimey, seriously? I mean... seriously?!

"Oh, for sure, they're talented. But I won't praise them, because I feel that they're wasting their life on something I have deemed to be rubbish."

With all due respect, Dr. Crusher, the only waste of life around here would be continuing this conversation.

Take care and stay safe.

• Thumbs Up 4

There's your answer. You happen to have liked 2006. Lots of others, including myself, didn't. What did you expect?

Like I said, a waste of talent. But an even bigger waste of time. Possibly even a waste of life.[/s

Don't be such a dick.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

...Okay?

Guys, if I wasn't clear, I meant a waste of their time, not ours. I was only trying to explain why not many of us would be that satisfied with something like this no matter how good it was. I wasn't saying that everyone should rage and hate on it furiously or any of that nonsense.

Gotta love the fanbase when a good-hearted, talented fan project gets slammed. [/sarcasm]

But even if it were a new version of Sonic Labyrinth, and even if I had no interest whatsoever in playing it, I still wouldn't criticise the skill, time and effort put into creating the project. Stuff like this should be supported and encouraged at all times.

Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Bad Quality Post 1

...Okay?

Guys, if I wasn't clear, I meant a waste of their time, not ours. I was only trying to explain why not many of us would be that satisfied with something like this no matter how good it was. I wasn't saying that everyone should rage and hate on it furiously or any of that nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

As a person who practices game design in his past time, this very much fascinates me. I'm not going to judge why this person wanted to recreate Sonic 2006, but I'm amazed how much effort has gone into it. However, it's a good showcase work so I wouldn't say it was a big waste of time. It shows a lot of promise of the guy, and could potentially be a good portfolio article if he wanted to go professional.

I think some people are taking this a little to seriously. I can definitely understand why someone would not want to play this, but I think it's silly to bash it on the basis that you don't like it. There's nothing wrong with the project, it's obvious he had a vision from the beginning and has put in tremendous effort to accomplish that, and it shows. If you have some other vision, then go off and make that yourself. It's a freelance project so he is welcome to do whatever he wants, really. And if he wants to recreate Sonic Next-Gen in 2D, well by golly, at least he's doing a fantastic job at it. The only problem people will have with this project is if they don't like 2006, in which case they won't like this project. 2006 doesn't interest me to much, but this project is still so fascinating to me. Going to keep my eyes on it.

Edited by Dusk Golem
  • Thumbs Up 2

Either their talents don't lie in level design and general game design, or they purposely ignored them to more accurately recreate '06; in either case, there are very valid flaws in the game that deserve to be criticized.

• Thumbs Up 1

So? Not everything has to be focused on you. There are other people in the world you know.

...I never at any point said the world had to be focused around me.

Saying things like that only make things worse.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I didn't that you did...

You're saying: "I don't like this, so they're wasting their time".

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 2

...Seriously? It didn't occur to you that it was my opinion that it wasn't worth it?

I just didn't feel like adding "IMO" into it, since I thought it was painfully obvious that it was merely what I thought. The reason why I say things like "We just..." and the sort is because, though I don't speak for them, I am aware that a lot of people do not like 2006. That still doesn't mean that me and them think one and the same.

Before this argument gets personal, I want to bring up the part that fascinated me the most. The boss battles. Especially the Iblis boss we see.

It's a very good combination of using 2D and 3D space, and was definitely the highlight of the video for me. I think the weakest part of the project (from a fundamental view keeping the project goal in mind) is the background visuals. Some of it looks great, but the graphics can look a bit repetitive and barren. Next-Gen was... Well, many things, but barren wasn't one of them. That bothered me slightly, but what he has there otherwise looks great with the direction in mind. However, in the Iblis boss battle there was obvious effort put into the Iblis animation and the lava lake. To be honest, without seeing the source, I am trying to figure out if those are 3D models animated well, or if he's using some smoke and mirrors to make it appear 3D. I believe it's 3D, but whatever the case he did a fantastic job there.

This has also set up a strange set of brainstorming in my head about a game based around glitches and how that could be used in interesting level design. If done right that could be very fun, but that is for another place than here.

Edited by Dusk Golem
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm just saying, stop being so disrespectful and give constructive criticism.

At least they tried to do something with their life...

That is constructive criticism.

Going by the stage the development is at and the carbon copying of '06's FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEMS, not "objective" or "excusable" ones, we say with a lot of justification that this game is incredibly misguided in what it's trying to achieve.

There's nothing remotely fun about spamming pitifully weak homing attacks to destroy robots with huge swathes of HP, slowing down the games already horribly slow pace. Putting '06 on a 2D plane does absolutely nothing for the game because bad game design is bad game design and the replication of the totally screwed physics shows without question that these people don't know how instrumental decent physics are to a game. This fangame is by far the finest example I've seen so far of this.

It's had effort put into it, no ones doubting that. But when talent and effort is turned to expertly imitating shit, it's such a pity and a waste.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 6

That is constructive criticism.

Going by the stage the development is at and the carbon copying of '06's FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEMS, not "objective" or "excusable" ones, we say with a lot of justification that this game is incredibly misguided in what it's trying to achieve.

There's nothing remotely fun about spamming pitifully weak homing attacks to destroy robots with huge swathes of HP, slowing down the games already horribly slow pace. Putting '06 on a 2D plane does absolutely nothing for the game because bad game design is bad game design and the replication of the totally screwed physics shows without question that these people don't know how instrumental decent physics are to a game. This fangame is by far the finest example I've seen so far of this.

It's had effort put into it, no ones doubting that. But when talent and effort is turned to expertly imitating shit, it's such a pity and a waste.

Explained it much better than I ever could. This is exactly what I'm trying to say.

I can definitely understand why someone would not want to play this, but I think it's silly to bash it on the basis that you don't like it. There's nothing wrong with the project, it's obvious he had a vision from the beginning and has put in tremendous effort to accomplish that, and it shows. If you have some other vision, then go off and make that yourself. It's a freelance project so he is welcome to do whatever he wants, really. And if he wants to recreate Sonic Next-Gen in 2D, well by golly, at least he's doing a fantastic job at it. The only problem people will have with this project is if they don't like 2006, in which case they won't like this project.
Oh, bullshit. That he accomplished what he intended doesn't shield the game from criticism, and that I hate '06 doesn't have any bearing on hating this (beyond that they have a lot of the same problems, but that's correlation, not causation; the problems are problems regardless of what game they're in).

But surely, if somebody made a 2D version of Sonic Adventure 2, and followed the levels accurately, they'd be praised... right?
I wouldn't praise them. SA2's levels are mediocre in 3D and I'd imagine they'd be shitty in 2D.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the entire point of a 2D port to, y'know, be like the original?
The point, far above all else, is to make a good game. If an aspect of the game you're remaking doesn't work (in general or because of the conversion from (edit)2D to 3D 3D to 2D), you change it.

Seems to me (based entirely on video footage, I admit) that they've achieved exactly what they intended.
Yes, they did what they intended. Bravo and all that. Unfortunately what they intended made for a shitty game.

You'd think this was an official SEGA release from some of the reactions.
Why, is it okay to criticize one but not the other?

That said, if it were posted in the Sonic Showcase, nobody would have seen it anyway. Funny how all tolerance and reason gets thrown out the window by a simple choice of forum area.
I didn't hesitate to tear apart wooly's game/ideas, and I didn't hesitate to tear apart this. Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I don't think it's a waste though. Once again, I can understand why it wouldn't interest people. But then, do any of us know the reason why he chose to do this? Maybe he enjoys doing it? It's a freelance project being distributed for free, it's not like he's being paid to do this or we have to pay to play it. It's a freelance project, he wanted to do it, and so he did it. I can respect that. Now if this was some retail game, I would have critique to give it. However, this isn't retail. This isn't official. This isn't "wasting talent." This is what he decided to do, it's not wasting if it's personal choice. You and I don't know his reasoning for doing this, but he's doing it so why try to bash him for doing it?

That's my biggest problem with the "critiques" here. I'm not seeing constructive criticism, I'm not seeing anything that could be used as productive feedback. All I see is whining, which I sure some of you aren't trying to portray, but that's all that it's coming off as. The only argument I have heard repeatedly in different wording is, "Oh why would he imitate that, why waste his talent, oh that's so terrible."

My point being, you can dislike the project as much as you want. He's not making it to please you. He's likely making it for some personal reasons you or I likely don't know. If all you're going to do is whine that this exists, that helps nothing. Now if you wanted to give some productive feedback to achieve his goal, that is fine. If you wanted to say why this project doesn't interest you, that's fine. However, some of you are bashing on some dude you don't know for accomplishing something just because it's not something that you like. That's what's bugging me the most through all of this, this is a freelance project and not something this guy is even here to showcase to us (I don't even think he's a member of these forums) or to be official. Yet he's receiving the backhand of some hate just because he's being productive on something.

Live and let live.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1