Awoo.

Sonic Unlimited (formerly Sonic 2006 2D)

Lightspines

Grow up. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean others dislike it as well.

I hope this person gets a job in the game industry. At least he/she attempted to create a game...

Ok I Was going to stay out this, but.

Before I say anything I'm going to say, I don't hate 06, I don't think its a good game but I don't hate it. With that said, I DO think it was a poorly put together game, and anyone who willingly tries to recreate everything that was wrong with it, really shouldn't be making games, if you're going to revamp a game, you don't keep all of the problems that made the game bad in the first place; you try to fix the problems and hope for the best.

Me and Dio don't always see eye to eye but I can totally understand where he's coming from, why would I want to play a game that was already bad to begin with, only this time its in 2D? It makes no sense, if I want to play 06, then I'll play 06, not some 2D remake that doesn't even TRY to fix the problems it had in the first place.

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 4

Really enjoyed the demo, but definitely not without faults... and oddly enough, they're the faults of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), which was entirely to be expected! I absolutely respect the accuracy! Perhaps the first time ever, while playing a videogame, that I laughed while falling to my inevitable doom!

Basically, light dash and stomp are the same button (C on your keyboard) just as they were on PlayStation3, which means you'll sometimes fall instead of soaring majestically over that bottomless pit you were trying to avoid. I lost two lives but, just as with the original, the checkpoints are spaced evenly and usually just before a tricky section of gameplay. Another point is that some of the 3D aspects of Kingdom Valley haven't translated as well into 2D. For example, the brick walls that Sonic can smash through are obvious in 3D, but in 2D are just another grey line in a mostly grey environment, and are quite difficult to pick out of a fast-moving screen. Thankfully, seasoned veterans of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), who will be the majority of the audience, will know when to expect them, as the level layout is identical. As this is an early build (the demo opens with a disclaimer) I'm willing to forgive other, smaller niggles that I assume will be ironed out before final release. The graphics look great and run really smoothly, even on my laptop which is rather old and hardly up-to-spec, and all the sounds are crisp and accurate.

It isn't destined to rule weeks of my life, but as a fun and entertaining nostalgic distraction on my desktop, I'm really excited and looking forward to getting the whole videogame upon release! Definitely made by a fan, for fans, of the original.

Really enjoyed the demo, but definitely not without faults... and oddly enough, they're the faults of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), which was entirely to be expected! I absolutely respect the accuracy!

That's a bit like respecting a 2D remake of Superman 64 because you still have to SOLVE MY MAZE pass through rings for twenty minutes, or because the sky is still full of "Kryptonite Fog".

Edited by Dr. Crusher

That's a bit like respecting a 2D remake of Superman 64 because you still have to SOLVE MY MAZE pass through rings for twenty minutes.

A remake is a remake. Not a revamp or a reimagining, but a straight recreation of everything that came before.

And on that basis, this remake succeeds. As would that hypothetical Superman one. ;)

A remake is a remake. Not a revamp or a reimagining, but a straight recreation of everything that came before.

And on that basis, this remake succeeds. As would that hypothetical Superman one. ;)

Then what does that make Mario 64 DS?

• Thumbs Up 2

Azukara, Are they fans of just 2006 gameplay alone or is it just adventure gameplay in general? maybe theres some elements of adventure they can use instead of 2006s.

Diogenes, We get your point now so you can stop. If there trying to replicate the exact same gameplay ideas 2006 had then they got to see that some of it was flawed and unfinished. hopefully with enough feedback they will see what needs to be changed.

Then what does that make Mario 64 DS?

I don't know, as I tend to avoid anything to do with that chap. This is a Sonic forum, right? :D

All jokes aside, c'mon. I think we've run this one into the ground, guys. Somebody set out to remake Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), only in two dimensions. They're nearly finished. Fans of the original will love it, others who didn't like the original won't love it. In other news, the Pope is preparing to say some prayers on Sunday, and bears were seen taking light reading material into the woods. These are the days of our lives.

My only problem was seeing the initiative, effort and talent of fans being directly attacked, and I think we've all moved on from that, have we? I really don't know, but I hope we have. Nobody who spends their free time contributing to a fanbase deserves such treatment, regardless of the quality of their final product.

After all, such acts of generosity are what make a fanbase. Otherwise we're just a bunch of folks getting excited/angry.

Whatever fangame you wish to play, play nice. ;)

Diogenes, We get your point now so you can stop.
I'll stop when I see nothing I feel I need to respond to. Or if I just get bored.

If there trying to replicate the exact same gameplay ideas 2006 had then they got to see that some of it was flawed and unfinished. hopefully with enough feedback they will see what needs to be changed.
Considering what Azukara said, I kind of doubt it.
  • Thumbs Up 3

I don't know, as I tend to avoid anything to do with that chap. This is a Sonic forum, right? :D

All jokes aside, c'mon. I think we've run this one into the ground, guys. Somebody set out to remake Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), only in two dimensions. They're nearly finished. Fans of the original will love it, others who didn't like the original won't love it. In other news, the Pope is preparing to say some prayers on Sunday, and bears were seen taking light reading material into the woods. These are the days of our lives.

My only problem was seeing the initiative, effort and talent of fans being directly attacked, and I think we've all moved on from that, have we? I really don't know, but I hope we have. Nobody who spends their free time contributing to a fanbase deserves such treatment, regardless of the quality of their final product.

After all, such acts of generosity are what make a fanbase. Otherwise we're just a bunch of folks getting excited/angry.

Whatever fangame you wish to play, play nice. ;)

Is it so wrong to say that I don't like something? I applaud the guy for his effort, but that doesn't mean I have to like his work, If I think its shitty then I'm going to say its shitty.

• Thumbs Up 1

Azukara, Are they fans of just 2006 gameplay alone or is it just adventure gameplay in general? maybe theres some elements of adventure they can use instead of 2006s.

Nah, they're definitely fans of 2006 gameplay. If they implemented Adventure gameplay, though, they may as well just implement Genesis Sonic physics and mechanics, because that was basically the gameplay in Adventure except dodgier, with a homing attack, a button-charge Spindash, more linearity in stage layouts and with some additional moves.

hopefully with enough feedback they will see what needs to be changed.

Everybody's telling them "it's great!!!1!!one!!9" so I'm not expecting much of anything. And yeah, Diogenes is right, because like I said earlier, even if they got the feedback they'd throw it back in everyone's faces with little less than a second thought.

All jokes aside, c'mon. I think we've run this one into the ground, guys. Somebody set out to remake Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), only in two dimensions. They're nearly finished. Fans of the original will love it, others who didn't like the original won't love it............My only problem was seeing the initiative, effort and talent of fans being directly attacked, and I think we've all moved on from that, have we? I really don't know, but I hope we have. Nobody who spends their free time contributing to a fanbase deserves such treatment, regardless of the quality of their final product.

My only problem is that I'm one of the many people that didn't like the original but would like someone improve on everything it did wrong. The people behind this have the talent and ability to do it but flat-out won't do it. While that's all good for the Nextgen fans out there, it just strikes everybody else in the fanbase as, yet again, another hunk of large potential miserably lost.

• Thumbs Up 3

Is it so wrong to say that I don't like something? I applaud the guy for his effort, but that doesn't mean I have to like his work, If I think its shitty then I'm going to say its shitty.

Never had a problem with that, and never said everybody had to like it. :)

My only issue was with those individuals saying the fan had wasted his time, effort, talent and life, and those unfairly criticising him. I just finished playing the Kingdom Valley demo and had some problems with it myself. But there's a difference between saying "you could tweak these few bits" and "your entire project is terrible and you should feel bad for even starting it" about something that's non-profit, made by a fan, for fans to enjoy.

I'm glad you're applauding the guy for his effort, as that's what I've been doing since the second page! :D

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the fangame, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

My only issue was with those individuals saying the fan had wasted his time, effort, talent and life, and those unfairly criticising him. I just finished playing the Kingdom Valley demo and had some problems with it myself. But there's a difference between saying "you could tweak these few bits" and "your entire project is terrible and you should feel bad for even starting it" about something that's non-profit, made by a fan, for fans to enjoy.

I'm glad you're applauding the guy for his effort, as that's what I've been doing since the second page! :D

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the fangame, though.

I think the problem people, and myself have is: You have all of these resources to FIX the game, but he chooses to leave it the way it is, because he feels like it, I understand its his game and he can do whatever he wants to it, but you'd think he would've taken the time to fix the game rather than just making sure its in 2D.

Basically, I call it wasted potential, because he had the chance to do something awesome(Actually make 06 looks fun and decent), but chose to be mediocre, that's where most of our criticism comes from.

I think the problem people, and myself have is: You have all of these resources to FIX the game, but he chooses to leave it the way it is, because he feels like it, I understand its his game and he can do whatever he wants to it, but you'd think he would've taken the time to fix the game rather than just making sure its in 2D.

Basically, I call it wasted potential, because he had the chance to do something awesome(Actually make 06 looks fun and decent), but chose to be mediocre, that's where most of our criticism comes from.

Well, fair enough, but you yourself said it right then and there...

...it's his game.

And to be honest, he isn't the only one who'd faithfully recreate every aspect of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). Before you ask, I'm not one of them (I'd at least use all the buttons on the controller to avoid conflicting deaths, as I mentioned before) but I understand this project has a lot of support and a lot of praise.

So good on him. And I just wish those who think differently would be constructive, fair and reasonable, rather than rude and personal.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it would be cool to see this released as, "Sonic 2006 2D"and have it be all faithful to the original and such, but then work on a modified version in the engine to make fixes and better designed areas that could be called something like "Sonic 2006 2D Remastered." I don't think that's what they will do, but that could appeal potentially to both audiences, those who want a straight up 2D recreation and those who would want to see more originality and fixes in the project.

• Thumbs Up 1

...it's his game.

And to be honest, he isn't the only one who'd faithfully recreate every aspect of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). Before you ask, I'm not one of them (I'd at least use all the buttons on the controller to avoid conflicting deaths, as I mentioned before) but I understand this project has a lot of support and a lot of praise.

So good on him. And I just wish those who think differently would be constructive, fair and reasonable, rather than rude and personal.

...it's his game.

I think in actuality, I'm just gonna take all of Nextgen's stages and port them over to Sonic Freerunner. Probably the best idea for a fixed Nextgen. =P

That's just it though, I can't begin to fathom why ANYONE would want 06 to stay the way it is(Unless its for a joke), its a broken mess why would you want to play a game that obviously never made it past its beta stage? I would imagine people would want a finished game that fully executes all of its potential, and not just a half assed game. I dunno maybe its just me.

• Thumbs Up 1

What this game at least proves, IMO, is that 2D suddenly doesn't make it all better.

• Thumbs Up 8

• 4 months later...

Eh, I don't really see the point in this game. Sure, it's kinda interesting that they're following the game that much to the letter in translating it to a new perspective, but it annoys me that they're keeping all of the game's flaws. I mean, sheesh, If you're gonna remake a game, particularly if said game is really, really flawed, wouldn't the proper course of action be to improve on whatever flaws it originally had?

• Thumbs Up 2

It's exactly like Sonic 2006. Except this time in 2D. The stiffness, the shitty level design, the annoying quirks such as instant death when touching the sand in the second stage with no obvious method of circumventing it, they're all there.

You can't jump on enemies.

Game fucking sucks shit.

It truly is 06 as we hated it.

Eh, I don't really see the point in this game. Sure, it's kinda interesting that they're following the game that much to the letter in translating it to a new perspective, but it annoys me that they're keeping all of the game's flaws. I mean, sheesh, If you're gonna remake a game, particularly if said game is really, really flawed, wouldn't the proper course of action be to improve on whatever flaws it originally had?

We had an argument about that a couple months ago with people actually defending that.