Awoo.

Sonic Unlimited (formerly Sonic 2006 2D)

Lightspines

I was sort of hoping to get the chance to play as Shadow and Silver too. I've actually never played fully through '06 before, and what I did was really annoying, especially when compared to this which I could actually find some enjoyment out of. Still, I'm liking the look of "Unlimited" so I'll get over it I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just glad they won't do that obnoxious ball rolling thing for Silver. Good lord that took me 40 minutes. I'm not as big on short levels as other gamers but... seriously? That's absurd. Eggmanland took me 60 minutes but was far, far, far longer and even gave you loads of free lives after checkpoints to make it fair.

Well I'm sure the ball rolling would have been easier, by virtue of it being on a 2D plane so you would have just had to roll it to the right for about a minute or so. :P

Well I'm sure the ball rolling would have been easier, by virtue of it being on a 2D plane so you would have just had to roll it to the right for about a minute or so. tongue.png

For some reason I'm imaging they'd do a top-down view just to spite us.

At least, in the original project. Fortunately they realised rebuilding it from the ground up is better than converting everything to 2D. Eliminates the frustrating parts and allows some more innovation.

I don't get why they won't give up on the '06 aspect. Is there really any point to it? All it does it stifle creativity and frankly it's as though they want it to look bad. The new visuals are definitely an improvement, but Wave Ocean still looks like a mass of non-descript rock. It's pretty boring. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Looks like a 2D perspective of the Unleashed gameplay with 06 2D's levels.

I will find it quite humorous if a fan remake of 06 goes better than the official sequel to Sonic 3.

I don't think it takes much for a good fangame to surpass Sonic 4 in terms of quality.

I don't think it takes much for a good fangame to surpass Sonic 4 in terms of quality.

It's still immensely humorous since it lacks the resources of an official title. That a person could do more with practically no money versus someone with a fair bit of it is just always amusing. Comparative advantage, we meet again!

I don't get why they won't give up on the '06 aspect. Is there really any point to it?

I would assume that they like it, or at least think it deserves another chance. It's not as if they're the first people to remake games/levels rather than create from scratch. It's just...kind of baffling why they'd pick '06 of all things, tho'.

• Thumbs Up 1

Could technically be placeholder at this point.  Maybe they plan to overhaul the envioronments too once the level design is set in stone.

As I said over at Retro, it's great that they are wanting to do more original-esque fan games... but this isn't a good result.

After playing the demo, this is what I have to say:

They have reused most of the graphical assets from their previous project, and the gameplay itself is completely based on memorization. You'll fall into a death pit or be hit by spikes numerous times unless you can remember where everything is. The level is badly structured.

Half-way through you are taken to a mach speed section where you're being propelled foward. It simply doesn't work. Sonic is too fast. You are given 1-2 seconds to react to jump over obstacles or you'll end up falling into a death pit. At times you are given just under a second to respond.

The lives system is also missing. It was included in Sonic the Hedgehog 2D. Perhaps they realized the level design is rather difficult so they removed that feature?

Overall it's an easy on the eyes fan game, but plays poorly right now. If they could redo the level design and polish up the gameplay itself, it could become a pretty decent fan game.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Looks pretty good! Im not a big fan of 06, but hardly anyone is it seems. Or the fact of having to repeatedly hit enemies with a Homing Attack seems to just slow down the game. Which is kinda the opposite of what you want for a Sonic game. Its still all about the speed right? As for it being a Fan Game though it looks like it has a lot of promise. 

Going to try to get it running on my Mac tonight. Wish me luck!

Edited by Littlewolf128

I would assume that they like it, or at least think it deserves another chance. It's not as if they're the first people to remake games/levels rather than create from scratch. It's just...kind of baffling why they'd pick '06 of all things, tho'.

Oh I get that.

But I don't get why they like like '06 or why they think it deserves another chance.

Oh I get that.

But I don't get why they like like '06 or why they think it deserves another chance.

Probably for the same excuses people use to defend the game with....

Wait is there a demo of Unlimited already or are we talking about older STH2006 2D stuff?

Wait is there a demo of Unlimited already or are we talking about older STH2006 2D stuff?

I'm talking about the video from the other page. It's not 1:1 Sonic '06 2D anymore, but it's still heavily based on '06 and Wave Ocean from what we can see.

Well its just like you guys are acting like you played a demo or something so it got me a little confused.

I think we should hold off on any real objections until they get a demo out there for us to try.

There is a demo; it's linked in the video's description on youtube.

And it's not really hard to pick out some problems without playing it anyway.

I tried it out.  It's REALLY well made but pretty standard stuff design-wise.  Unleashed gameplay is controversial as is but we can all agree that it is extra offensive in 2D.  Without a boost you run into hazards and get hit allll the time, and most of the hazards I hit were an automated speedy section due to boosters too.

They are back guys in a new pair of duds. what do you think of STH2006 2D reborn?

Looks soo much better than what it use to be. This is something I would not mind trying out one day.

Looks soo much better than what it use to be. This is something I would not mind trying out one day.

Yeah, I agree.

Also digging that music... is it a new piece or some piece I can't remember? Sounds like some odd mixture of His World and... Rail Canyon/Bullet Station I think it was?

Despite the fact that it was based on a game a lot of people disliked, and that the backgrounds and a few other things cannot be compared to SEGA's official 2D games, despite all that, the game wasn't made by a huge crew of coders, graphic designers and programmers of a game company, it was merely and totally made by fans, and believe me I've seen (and played) quite a lot of fan-made Sonic games for the PC, some of them were made usin the well-known Gamemaker, some of them rocked, some of them ducked, while this game by many standards can be considered a masterpiece.

Edited by Mysterious X

while this game by many standards can be considered a masterpiece.

Um... no not really.

I mean for a start it is currently ONE level.  And as impressive as it is in terms of programming and consistency, the level design is awful and rife with trial and error or plain boringness.  It plays like Sonic Rush but without the boost.  And Sonic Rush without the boost is basically "Sonic runs into everything and falls over: the game".

• Thumbs Up 1

Um... no not really.

I mean for a start it is currently ONE level.  And as impressive as it is in terms of programming and consistency, the level design is awful and rife with trial and error or plain boringness.  It plays like Sonic Rush but without the boost.  And Sonic Rush without the boost is basically "Sonic runs into everything and falls over: the game".

Are you sure? Cuz there's a 1-level demo that's about 25 megabytes.

But I thought the whole game is about 285 megabytes or somethin...

Edited by Mysterious X

Also digging that music... is it a new piece or some piece I can't remember? Sounds like some odd mixture of His World and... Rail Canyon/Bullet Station I think it was?

"Event: Sonic Appears" from Sonic 06. It's used in the intro cutscene when Sonic - well, appears, and then starts to kick ass. I'm pretty sure it's used in some other cutscenes too, but I'm not too sure.

Also, I'm liking this game. Due to my low specs, my framerate was piss-poor, but I really enjoyed what this demo has to offer. I especially loved the homing attack - feels like this is what it should have been in the first place. The level design's not too bad - though it's not exactly the best either.