Awoo.

About status updates

Sean

Wow ok, this place was being really badly behaved....then I went on a plane ride and when I land there are no more statuses....goodness.

To be fair though, it was coming. We've given plenty of warnings. It sucks it got ruined for everyone, but usually that's how things work. When we can't even trust regular, long time members not to abuse something then it doesn't say much.

Also I kinda like how they are now, with only mods able to say stuff. I've issued some warnings through updates that just disappeared before most people read them, this could be utilized.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just throwing something out here:

Would it be possible to put some sort of limit on the number of statuses a user can post per day? If you could only post one or two statuses that might cut back on the number of spammy-type posts.

• Thumbs Up 2

So far, as we've said with our first warning, status updates are a matter of on or off.

Well I would have liked it were the status box is used to expand our thoughts on certain sonic things or other gaming things Outside the forums.(To keep it on video games.) Playing around, talking about our day, was great as(maybe better than my idea) well and should have stayed that way. but something went wrong. VERY wrong. Yesterday was a great example. When everyone was like "OMG NEW GENERATIONS TRAILER LINK! *troll!*"It was funny with the whole tree thing or everyone acting like a girl for a day, but that was just dumb and not needed. I guess now(for awhile) the mods can use it to give us news on the forums or links to important things. But yeah it's gotten calmer and less trollish ever since this happened.

I don't know what happened here because of personal issues. Can anyone fill me in?
Edited by TwoTailedFox

It's a shame it had to come down to this, but it's understandable.

To people upset about the status updates being gone, let me introduce you to a wonderful site called "Twitter" (you can follow me here) which practically REVOLVES around status updates. Theres little to no moderation and you can be as personal or impersonal as you want to be, theres plenty other Sonic fans on twitter to chat with too (So far in my experience, it's much more civil and sensible than some status free for alls here, and you can always ban a user thats bugging you...)

Theres also Google Plus, which is great for impersonal and lengther ranty post things, but you need an invite and all right now...

I don't advocate these as a replacement for SSMB or anything, but if you have something personal to say that maybe could of gone in a status update (but didnt really fit here), or miss some of the fun of the status update stuff. Theres a way to still do that, which likely works out better for everyone anyway

Incidentally, maybe I just haven't been reading the forums enough, but I'ld say the forum actually is in a better place than it was last year, during the Sonic 4 Debate Wars

Edited by jennytablina
  • Thumbs Up 1

I first joined SSMB just a few weeks before everything started going downhill. At that time, it was like "holy crap, this is the best forum I've ever been on." It still is, but to a lesser extent now due to all the shit that's been going on. SSMB does apparently have an amazing ability to actually overcome problems like this, unlike pretty much every other forum on the net -- I actually made a theory that every forum would get shittier and shittier with time and populace and that they were all pretty much doomed -- the forum will eventually become unbearable and you'll have to just move on to a different one. SSMB is the exception to this theory, but you know how? Every time there's a problem, they make the rules stricter each time, and start cracking down on people. SSMB isn't quite too strict for me yet, but I do not like strict forums. I hate that feeling that I could be scolded at any moment for any post I make just because I was being particularly stupid that moment or there was some small mistake. That's why I never applied for validation on Retro; they're a VERY strict forum with lots of ban-happy mods and admins, exactly the kind of thing that makes me tense.

One of the things I liked about the status updates was they were much more lax -- no lulz are allowed on the forums, only intelligent discussion, statuses on the other hand you could get a bit silly as long as it wasn't spam or flaming. Plus, statuses were quick, easy things to check/post/reply to, and talk about things that were otherwise not topic worthy. There were a lot of times when I came to SSMB JUST to check the statuses, sometimes, I'd be refreshing for hours just watching the statuses go by and making or replying to some of them. So forgive me if I'm a bit pissed that they're gone, they were half the reason I came here.

@Major Ziggy, I understand where you're coming from, but some people really hate Facebook. A pretty fair amount, actually.

I'll stay here as long as SSMB is fun, lax, and I feel "safe" rather than feeling like my existence here is limited and I could be banned at any minute. The first forum I abandoned was because it got boring, repetitive, overdramatic, and way too strict, (Some of your posts would get deleted or you'd get suspended for something that was just plain ridiculous or outrageous, to the point that it would never have occurred to you it was even against the rules.) plus their moderation staff was just plain mediocre.

• Thumbs Up 3

When everyone was like "OMG NEW GENERATIONS TRAILER LINK! *troll!*"It was funny with the whole tree thing or everyone acting like a girl for a day, but that was just dumb and not needed.

As stupid as some people may have thought that was, it certainly wasn't breaking any rules so I'm willing to bet that that has nothing to do with the privilege being taken away. Bitching openly about members though, is.

I personally found that funny but that's besides the point.

Wow, I feel kind of oblivious... I didn't see any of the stuff with the status updates and I think I missed a lot of what's being talked about.

Anyway, I'm somewhat new to being a regular poster here on the forum (I've been on SSMB since early 2008 though when Sonic Unleashed was first leaked, I lurked the forums to see all of the latest updates). From my experience though SSMB has been a great place with a lot of really cool people with a love for the Sonic series, where we can all talk about the games as well as other stuff. Sure I've seen quite a few heated debates and arguments, but I never really saw it get out of hand, it's mostly all been in good fun. I completely missed the specific member bashing, so I've got nothing to say there. As for the status updates, it's kind of a bummer since I used it on occasion (both for posting and commenting). But that's not what I come here for, and I have no plans of leaving because it's not available at the moment.

So yeah, I'll stick around and see what happens. Hopefully this all blows over soon. I know I'll be staying optimistic anyway. biggrin.gif

Geez, leave for an afternoon and look what you miss...

I'm mostly indifferent to this, I very rarely posted statuses but at the same time I enjoyed reading them. It's a shame they had to be disabled, but if the system was being abused, then oh well. Life goes on.

[Warning: during tence moments I tend to ramble and make jokes.]

I don't usually got involved in drama stuff, but I was curious and ended up reading practically all the posts in this topic. It left a bad taste in my mouth, so now I need to spit-up my opinion.

First off, having been a loyal member of a forum that eventually went to the great wide web in the sky, I reckon the worst thing you could do in a time of trouble is to leave. If all the good people of this forum did that, you'd might as well be signing it's death certificate. Also, I don't wish to be mean, but is there really any point of saying your going to leave, but still be around? That's like telling your parents that your moving to your own place, only to be living in a tent in the back garden.

This is not what the great DreadKnux envisioned. I've come and gone over the several years of my membership, for several different reasons.(Nothing to do with the environment of the forum.) Yet my latest stop here has convinced me that I should stay permanently. I haven't noticed a decline in commen decency, but that doesn't mean it's not happening. I've met so many freakin' awesome people during my stay, I would be heartbroken if I suddenly lost contact with them. This place has brought to my attention so many great people, that 8 years ago, I would've believed didn't exist. There's the hero of charity, Doctor MK and superhero, Glenn. I've never witnessed a massive collaboration art project before, yet Kamicciolo and Silva Rymes are making it happen. How can Indigo Rush be so kind and daft at the same time? XD Plus the super nice and talented couple of JezMM and Molfie. Or to avoid annoying one of them, the super nice and talented couple of Molfie and JezMM.

The super awesome people don't stop at the members alone. Stop being mean about the mods! They have lives too, yet they come here to help maintain this heaven on inter-web during there free time. Nobody gets paid. Just look at Sean, how can someone with such a cute Avatar be bad? It's almost....hypnotising........so......cute......*ahem* ...Carbo has one too....so....cute.....Gah! ...plus there's Pelly...nobody should cross Pelly. *gulp*

Oh, I knew this would happen. I seemed to have wondered of topic.

Right....also, why is everyone choosing now, in this topic about status updates, to talk about everything else that they think is wrong with the SSMB currently? If a member is being a problem, you report them. If you've noticed a fault with something, you tell a mod about it. C'mon, how hard can it be?

Or is it simply, becouse the Status Updates have been put on hiatus, it left some with a chip on there shoulder. (Like Sonic on Unleashed.) That they suddenly felt the need to pick apart this place.

Also, you guys are making Flyboy Fox worry, and that's a slapable offence in my book. I'm just glad AAUK isn't here to see this. He would be so ashamed.

Again, I can't be sure, since I've missed all the chaos that members are referencing. (Heh, get it? Chaos?) Yet I do see it as ironic that some say this place has become too childish, so they leave just like that. Kinda like how a 3 year old would do something bad, you'd give them a telling off and they'd run upstair to cry and scream.

I think I've covered everything....oh wait....

Stop saying that your adding "my two cents." This is a forum, a place where opinions are born. Every post you make it your "two cents." XD lol Unless your British, like me. Then it would be your "two pence." ...except for this post, which is more like one pound fifty...

I'm not targetting anyone here, and I don't wish to offend. In fact if you smile at least once to something in my post, then that's a mission complete in my book. Take care, and don't worry about that last bit, it was a joke. wink.gif

Wait! I forgot one thing....my opinion on status update... ^^; ...it doesn't matter to me if there gone or not.

• Thumbs Up 6

I must REALLY not pay attention, because I didn't notice anything was amiss. Then again, my main haunt is the Video Games forum.

I feel the need to clarify some of the facts behind this decision as well as a time frame. This was not an issue which arose and was acted upon within the same day -- it has been an ongoing issue which I have personally been spoken to by multiple moderators, site staff, and even members. It was not an issue which was taken lightly due to the inability to effectively moderate them in Invision Board's design.

That's right; they can't be moderated like post content can. Would we have removed access to the feature if we could? No, not in the slightest. The more that the moderators (namely Sean, Pelly, and Carbo) encouraged people to keep flaming and such off of the status updates* (which has not been allowed on the forums as long as I've been a member, so at least seven years) the more frustrated they and others became at the constant abuse of the system. This doesn't mean that the feature won't return in the near future. It's just going to require a clever solution which could take some time to implement, but until then assume it to be disabled indefinitely.

If you feel you have to leave the forums due to this spark then that's up to you, but we're listening to your concerns.

*derped, edit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Right. You know what?

No. Not good enough this time.

Staff, if you're set on this, and I don't blame you, please remove the status update section completely until you have a system in place to moderate it. And that includes you guys not having it either. If it never comes back because you can't moderate it properly, that's fine. But right now, it's getting on my nerves already to the point that it's offensive.

A staff-only status update section does not contribute to a friendly, relaxed and mature forum environment - quite the opposite in fact, it comes across to newcomers as either extremely elitist and oppressive or outright hostile - and I believe that's the whole point of disabling it in the first place, right? Getting back the atmosphere we all loved and still love around here? Not to mention before long newcomers will also start wondering why such a dead forum with no status updates since early August still has people posting in it. And yes you know it'll happen despite the most recent status being an announcement that the statuses are closed to members until further notice. Especially if you start using it enough to bump that announcement off the front page.

I know you're a responsible lot, so you won't try to abuse the system. In fact you'll barely use it at all yourselves anyway like this. Get rid of it until further notice so you can get this sorted out properly without causing another problem down the road. Thanks.

(As an aside to this though, if it does get repurposed as a staff feed, that's just dandy - but make it very clear what its role is when the revised board skins are done.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Right. You know what?

No. Not good enough this time.

Staff, if you're set on this, and I don't blame you, please remove the status update section completely until you have a system in place to moderate it. And that includes you guys not having it either. If it never comes back because you can't moderate it properly, that's fine. But right now, it's getting on my nerves already to the point that it's offensive.

A staff-only status update section does not contribute to a friendly, relaxed and mature forum environment - quite the opposite in fact, it comes across to newcomers as either extremely elitist and oppressive or outright hostile - and I believe that's the whole point of disabling it in the first place, right? Getting back the atmosphere we all loved and still love around here? Not to mention before long newcomers will also start wondering why such a dead forum with no status updates since early August still has people posting in it. And yes you know it'll happen despite the most recent status being an announcement that the statuses are closed to members until further notice. Especially if you start using it enough to bump that announcement off the front page.

(As an aside to this though, if it does get repurposed as a staff feed, that's just dandy - but make it very clear what its role is when the revised board skins are done.)
Edited by TwoTailedFox
  • Thumbs Up 1

What I find rather ridiculous is how the Status Updates degenerated into attitude similar to back in the Dark Ages we were in regarding the very franchise we represent. Now I hardly use the Updates aside from having fun with nostalgic songs and chants (Like Team Rocket's entrances), and occassionally talk about my day.

Honestly, I don't blame you guys for taking it down. It goes beyond insulting and disrespect in regards to calling someone out and seemingly insulting them, especially if they're banned. It's almost similar to how people would go onto banned or suspended member's profiles and start insulting them knowing they can't do anything about it in retaliation. You wouldn't like people doing that to you if you were in their shoes, now would you? So what makes it okay for you to do it to others? You don't earn respect that way, even on the internet.

Just figured I give my own thoughts, however much they parrot others.

Yeah, things have been a bit nuts on here recently. Mostly on the Status Bar. WAY too much flaming, stupidity and overall unpleasant moments. It really took the fun out of using the darn thing, for me personally.

I like to kid around and joke around as much the next nutjob, but there are just some things that shouldn't be done on here. And there are rules and guidelines that have to be enforced. I'm not going to lie, the 'user' who's actions on the Status Bar conspired a rain of ban reports did give off a negative impression, what with the spam and all. I didn't send a report in about it, but I was tempted and couldn't really blame anyone for doing so, in all do respect. That being said, Sean did say that no rules were actually broken, so... what can you do?

Honestly, whenever someone does comes off as a troll, stupid or just overall negative in your direction; while it's good to keep the officials inform, it's always best just ignore those individuals you have fault with. Don't let them get to you and stoop to a lower level. The only outcome are moments like this: No Status bar, and a big fat reminder of what this site's all about. And it's true, some of the stuff that's happen on here recently are definitely under this site's standards. Also now some people want to leave.

My answer to that? Wait. No one has any power to tell any of you to stay or go if you don't want to be here... but wait. Be patient. We are smart and can get through this. Forum drama can ALWAYS be corrected, and we all have a role to play. Moderators and Admin enforce the rules, we as the members understand the rules, and together, we all are to be ourselves and commit to having a awesome time within reason. That's all it takes to correct this, albeit, it will take some time. Like it's been stated, the status bar will come back, and most of us are definitely aware of how serious this issue is so it shouldn't happen again. (At least no where near this level. And I'm not trying to sound all high and mighty here, nor am I accusing anyone personally. Whether the mods have seen it or not, I'll admit that there were moments to where I did kid around a little too much myself in topics. I'm still going to be the goofball that I am, but I will keep this in mind from here on in. smile.gif )

And speaking of that darn status bar... Sure, I understand that people are upset that this privilege was taken from everyone. But that's what the Status bar was, a privilege. And warnings were definitely given on that thing! Hell, Carbo alone, using him as an example, gave warning after warning about this. Now this happened and you know what? Doesn't bother me a bit. Like I said, I really didn't want to use the darn thing with how things were going, so I think some time with it gone will do some good. Not everyone considers it fair, but at least it will be efficient... I agree with the moderation on that decision.

Now, I end with this...Relax. With how many comments are made on here, I know I'm just repeating things people already know, but whether it's sooner or later, things will look up and this is just the first step...

....Hmm. Serious post is serious. I wonder if I can just spice it up a little... BAM!

Facebook_Like_thumbs_up_small.png YoshiUnity likes this.
Edited by The Gentlemen YoshiUnity
  • Thumbs Up 5

People were seriously talking about hacking members?! Damn, that's horrible. And if it was a joke, then I must say that's pretty mean spirited one.

Anyways, I liked status updates. It was a fun little way to vent out my stupid nitpicky opinions and life in general. It was also great to talk to the other members of the board.

I must say, of all the forums I go to this has to be the most frequent one I go to and I've made a couple of friends here as well. And from what I seen every member has an... off day so to say where they'll express their opinion in a rude way, some just worse than others. For me, I kinda feel bad the constantly bitching about a certain character in a certain topic in the chit-chat forum. Makes me feel even more bad when I saw that whenever people expressed their opinion they did it in a mature manner and didn't get upset when they disagreed their opinion, unlike me. If I ever said anything to upset anyone whether or not it was against the rules. (I don't have any strikes but I do know I may have grinded a few gears during my first year.)

I've never posted Memes or made fun of Members, but I did notice that it was getting pretty bad, with people going as far as insulting the mods, or in other words insulting the higher authorities of this message board. No matter where you are, nobody should ever pick on who's in charge just because they're just doing their job. To be honest, that's one of my pet peeves.

Anyways my final thoughts on this situation? I think it's fair enough. I believe posted on the status box even more than I did on the forum itself. But, I joined shortly before the status updates were put on this forum, so I think I can live without them. And if it's something the mods gotta do to keep this forum safe and fun, then they gotta do what they gotta do.

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor
  • Thumbs Up 1

Whether the mods have seen it or not, I'll admit that there were moments to where I did kid around a little too much myself. I'm still going to be the goofball that I am, but I will keep this in mind from here on in. smile.gif

From what I've seen, the mods have mostly been talking about flaming, people talking about banned users, etc. in the status updates and not our usual stupid, uncontrollable randomness. In fact, once Flyboy said she loved our usual random updates. XP But meh, if a lot of people here see it as a problem then I suppose we shouldn't do it when the status comes back...as much. Really, who can resist acting stupid with the purpose of entertaining others just occasionally? XD

(I do admit that I probably made random, stupid updates just a LITTLE too much though ._.)

• Thumbs Up 2

Bah. This is certainly a state state of affairs that we've gotten ourselves into. D: I find it truly disheartening that a single user managed to bring down the entire forum to its knees within a matter of days. Now, I certainly didn't do anything negative in response to this user, but I honestly can't blame any others for acting in retaliation. Sure, there are certainly more productive ways to approach the situation, but it really didn't help that said user was blatantly instigating everybody into doing just that. Just my two cents. I do suppose that the actions that have been taken were necessary, however.

Now, I'll admit that the atmosphere has changed quite a bit over the past few months. It's become less of the fun-loving, mature, intellectual hangout of Sonic fans that I've come to know and love, and I am quite saddened by this. I <3 you guise, and consider you all family. Admittedly, my activity here has decreased quite a bit as of recent (but I've been living vicariously via status updates!) because of this, but I truly hope that the Sonic Stadium Message Board can return to the glorious haven of Sonic fanaticism that it once was. We're a strong-willed, resilient group of folks that comprise one of the world's best fanbases out there, and I know that we'll be back on top in no time! Because we're Sonic Heroes.

Oh, and seeing as status updates are dead it looks like I'll actually have to post more often.

Candy wrappers.

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 7

This kind of pent-up stupidity and influx of idiots is to be expected. This literally happens every single time any major Sonic game is due for release, but a surprisingly large number of people apparently haven't recognized that pattern yet. Just give it a few months for pessimism to set back in and we'll be good as new.

Speaking of which though, I'll have to second Hunter in that exempting Mr he-who-shall-not-be-named from any blame is a bit ridiculous when it essentially amounts to instigating this kind of forum rioting deliberately, and blatantly so in many cases (what was all that mess about the status updates, if not outright trolling?)

Edited by Blacklightning
  • Thumbs Up 1