Awoo.
  • Join the Sonic Community Today!

Welcome to the world's biggest and best Sonic the Hedgehog online community! Register an account with us to get your very own Sonic social media account, and take part in the global blue blur conversation!

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Xandur

What Was Your First Exposure to Video Games?

The Wii. I vividly remember my first game being Mario Kart Wii. That console blew my mind back in the day - I remember getting extremely excited when I played Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga and saw the Lego characters moving around and talking on their own for the first time.
  3. Weekly Check-In : Sonic Adventure DX (Steam Release) I've finished Sonic's Adventure, hooray! And it only took me three weeks. Hopefully the rest of the characters won't take me near as long. I don't have much to say about Speed Highway except that it's a solid go-fast level. It reminded me a lot of Radical Highway in that way, but lacking in alternative pathways. It had the added bonus of that section where you run down a building and dodge obstacles though. It's pretty basic, like a first level that got plopped into the middle of the campaign, but that doesn't make it any less fun. I'm split on what to say about Red Mountain. On the one hand, the above ground section was kinda eh, but the underground section was a blast. The inside felt suitably treacherous without feeling cramped like the outside, and it had a lot of opportunities to chain homing attacks on enemies; a mechanic that I enjoy using. Sky Chase Act 2 was still just alright. The controls are slippery and it's difficult to aim with the pinpoint accuracy that the game expects. It's relatively painless just getting through it to continue the story, but I don't look forward to emblem hunting on these stages. But hey, maybe once I git gud I'll come to appreciate it like SA2's kart stages. Sky Deck... Those camera angles, oh god! They look cool as still screenshots admittedly, but are vertigo inducing in motion... ...Yeahhh, I didn't enjoy this one so much. It has ambition for sure and was taking advantage of the novelty of SA1 being a fully 3D game, but it's both Way Too Long and dizzying to look at. Oh, and the walls are hungry in this level too. Does Eggman not feed his battle ships? How irresponsible, tsk tsk. Two more boss fights came after. Gamma was as tough as Knuckles, which in this game means he had the constitution of a wet napkin (not leather, like he claims... ), but Chaos 6 was a bit more fun since there was more to do in order to defeat him. Lost World was pretty cool! It's not at all what I expect out of a Sonic game, rather resembling the temples of Ocarina of Time, but it fits the adventure motif and continues the trend of throwing new gimmicks at the player each stage. The snake and water part made me so nervous at first because of how Sonic kinda...shifts around on top of it as it moves, but I didn't have any problem with falling off like I'd feared. The appeal of this level for me is certainly the atmosphere. With that said, I'm going to talk about the cutscenes surrounding it in the spoiler below because...well, spoilers. Lastly, Final Egg. Great music, and so much to do in it. It's like if a McDonald's play place was also trying to kill you. I've been making a point to mention one or two fun little gimmicks of each stage, but with this one there are so many interesting things happening all at once. There's conveyor belts with spikes, passageways that resemble washing machines, lasers, swinging hammers, weird spidery elevators, entire rooms full of explosive badniks, fans, and Eggman's most evil weapon... Mockery. -shakes fist- I enjoyed this stage! However, what came next was...The Egg Viper. I went into the fight thinking Eggman would be as much of a pushover as the other bosses, but of course this is Eggman we're talking about. He was the one pushing me over and off the ledge with those dang spiked discs. The fight initially seemed difficult because of those, but it ended up being more tedious than anything. It was a lot of "GET A LOAD OF THIS!" and waiting for the disc phase each attempt to figure out what distance I needed to be to not get punted off the platform. I did it eventually, but Eggman's lines in this fight will forever be burned into my psyche. And with that, I have seen the ending of Sonic's campaign. There was some jank along the way, but overall I had fun and am invested in the story. My curiosity about this port has been satisfied, so my plan is to slap the the BetterSADX mod onto it for the rest of the way and see how it plays in comparison. No updates for my SA2 A-Rank grind today; I banned myself from opening it until I made progress in SA1, lest I be hooked on one challenge for multiple days again. Regrettable considering it's this week's profile reward, but oh well. :P
  4. Today
  5. PC the Hedgehog

Thought there'd be a lot more younger posters in this topic than there have been. Good, I don't have to feel too ancient. My first exposure to games was watching my cousins play Sonic 1 on their Sega Genesis when I was, like, 4. Immediately fell in love and had to have a Genesis and Sonic game of my very own. The rest is history.
  6. Was in the mood for some fighting games, so let's get those onto the board, shall we? Game 4 - Akatsuki Blitzkampf Ausf. Asche (Arcade - NAOMI) [Completed] My first exposure to the ABK series in general was via Blazblue Cross Tag Battle's 2.0 update, where they added a whole slew of new characters, including a freaking tank of all things. I eventually grew to love Akatsuki, as he became part of my main team (alongside Yang). Eventually this would lead me to check out his series of origin, an Alternate History WWII themed fighter. The game's pretty niche (it's generally considered a poverty game for a reason) and it's a little more on the simplistic side in terms of mechanics, but I think the simplicity gives the game charm. I think the cubist-lite artstyle is neat, and I like the faux-SNK aesthetic the sprites have. Although I will admit that the subject matter could be a bit off-putting. Also I find it funny just how much of a pain in the ass the Perfecti fight is, and when you get to Murakumo he feels like a damn pushover compared to her despite being the actual final boss. Would like to see this (as in the Ausf. Asche version) get a true PC release at some point. Game 5 - Dragon Ball Z: V.R.V.S. (Arcade - Sega System 32) [Completed] I think I recall stumbling upon this game while browsing the Dragon Ball wiki a couple years ago and hearing about the original villain for this game, Majin Ozotto. A couple of years later I get into arcade emulation and hear about this game once again and learn it's apparently just Punch-Out, Dragon Ball edition, which hit my particular set of niches. Gave it a try with a Trunks run. The game's spritework and animation is clean as hell, and I generally think it's pretty fun, although I will say that I think the command specials are janky to pull off, especially in a game that's more like Punch-Out instead of a conventional fighter. Also the final boss is pretty damn bullshit but hey, it's an arcade fighter so what's new? Game 6 - Capcom vs. SNK 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001 (Dreamcast) [Finished] Finished a run of 3v3 arcade mode, and got to the secret M. Bison fight but didn't get to encounter Akuma/Rugal nor Shin Akuma/God Rugal. I do hope the resurgence of SNK in the past decade will eventually lead to a CvS3 being made, hopefully with a more diverse roster (as in having the roster not just be Street Fighter and KoF with some assorted guests thrown in). Games Finished: 6 Games Completed: 3
  7. Bortificatin

I also just remembered being given that V-Smile edutainment system as a kid, but I can't quite recall if it was before or after getting the NDS Lite. Do they still make those kinds of dedicated edutainment consoles these days, or is stuff like that relegated to mobile apps now?
  8. That... I may have heard about this one before, but I still find it beyond belief that they actually remembered and used this. While in hindsight I'm not really a fan of the character assassination Shadow went through in M25YL/30YL (which hadn't mattered to teenage me because I was still relatively new to the Sonic series and had never actually played a Sonic game with Shadow in it until Sonic Chronicles of all things), just having SOME clear Archie representation in this game at least tells me that Sega's listening, if even just a tiny bit.
  9. Maple Syrup

Minion rush was a key part of my childhood!
  10. Cyb3rkn1ght

I used to have a 2Ds. it wore out because of misproper use of the charging port, and everytime I went to charge it, I had to tilt the head of the charger so it charged. I had lots of games on there; Animal Crossing, Pokemon ultra moon (Curse you, Aiden, yeah I'm still mad you made me run away from PRIMAL KYOGRE!!!), and my first Mario game, and still heavily underrated; 3D Land. then, after having a half-broke 2Ds, my mom went to Facebook market and bought me a 3DS XL! it was not wiped, so it came pre-installed with bangers I WISHED is still had: Ocerina of time, and Majoras Mask. I feel like CRYING I missed out on it, because when I took it to my Nana's house, and letting my Cousins Play it, with a Sonic Background, blue, and having Mario Maker, One Mini Mario game (I have no idea, but the game over theme haunts me) and Mario party DS??? They broke it. they broke the bottom screen. sure, it was touchable, and the top screen was fine, but that was the POINT of the 3DS!! nothibng showed up on the bottom screen. it was blacked-out, and all you could see, was the sad expression on my face. my Kirby, my Mario, Pokemon, my one sonic game (Colors DS). Gone. Reduced to mere atoms.
  11. Good eye! I have that skin, I actually own every single one in the game. Should give that one a go more often. I mostly main Super Sonic these days for the flight and increased stamina.
  12. Shiny Gems

@The DOMinatorYes, it was Mickey Mania, actually.
  13. The DOMinator

Alright, homework break time! Let's check what we have so far... You know, I remember playing a bit of Minion Rush on my first tablet not long after it came out. Completely forgot about the game until you mentioned it! Definitely a nice starter set of games to get for your Switch, and I for one up vote that (retro consoles and games) decision! You'll find a lot of cool things that you don't find on current platforms. Completely different worlds, they are! Hmm... Mickey Mania I suppose? That game is pretty hard, if that's what you're referring to. My first ever time "beating the game" when I was younger (if I recall correctly) was actually just me skipping to the Death Egg, and maybe beating it legitimately. It wouldn't be until some years later when I received Sonic Mega Collection Plus on the PS2 that I beat the game 100% (Chaos Emeralds) start to finish, and even then, it was with the help of save files... The same thing essentially goes for me when it came to playing video games. Incredibly young, yet once I had some understanding of what I was doing, I was hooked for life! No, that's a worthy upgrade, although, there are still experiences you can only get on the Wii. Silly question: did you happen to have a grey or orange light gun? I currently have an orange one. Now that... is a little bit out of my expertise, as I only really have experience and knowledge of the Commodore 64, but that's still pretty cool. Those are two pretty addictive games right there, but that's arcade styled games of the era for ya. I can kind of relate, as another thing my dad kept (still has/have) was a Space Invaders plug and play console that I haven't seen anywhere else on the internet. Comes with several almost arcade accurate ports of Taito arcade games, including Phoenix and Qix. When we got a Space Invaders Arcade1up machine a few years back, I found myself competing with my dad and sister over the high score, and eventually came on top, and still currently own the high score. I honestly didn't think about that. Exposure to video game franchises outside of video games. On a similar note, I often found myself watching Sonic X reruns on the CW during weekends whenever they came on. As I sort of touched upon earlier, what I didn't get to say was how my first video game console that was mine was a New Nintendo 3DS XL with Super Mario Maker. I got them for a Christmas one year from a close family friend. One of my first additions to the console, which came a few months later, after my birthday, was MvD: Mini-land Mayhem!, for which I took a liking to, and completed it up until Plus Mode. I'm glad to see the series' return recently on the Switch. Yeah, that's pretty annoying. Never had much of a use anyways. It's definitely a cool piece to look at though. Man, I never thought I'd hear of the classic "parents mistaking video game for something completely different" in reality! The game being Mario is Missing and similar titles is definitely the kicker though! Two very good games right there. Hydro Thunder was on the Saturn? And yeah, the Sonic Jam archive was/is certainly a cool addition to wrap around the all ready packed compilation + 3D world. It's nice to see whenever compilations go the extra mile in terms of content. Definitely (I know I keep saying this) mind blowing for the time, and still fun now. And that's why we need them remakes people keep demanding for! What a lot of cool stories! Keep them coming!
  14. Yesterday
  15. Actually, if you look hard enough, there is some (sort of) genuine Archie representation aside from these guys: a King Shadow skin! It was available for a limited time apparently (only just found out about it not too long ago): He has a few added things to him, but there's no denying that crown and cape of his!
  16. Sonicka

First exposure to gaming would have been very early 90’s - always playing something around a mates house. Sonic 1 on the Master System is why I’m here today, vividly remember struggling to get past the waterfall level on Jungle Zone - such a challenge as a kid to do that epic vertical climb. There was some sort of Aliens game as well, lots of flame throwthrowers and fire in the sewers IIRC. Rainbow Islands was another favourite of mine on the Amiga. But I remember playing Mario Bros 3 with a pal on his NES - he even had ROB which never got played with properly for anything specific. Next thing I knew I was specifically asking for a “Sonic computer” (Mega Drive). Instead, for Christmas my parents bought a PC (MS DOS) with edutainment games like Mario is Missing. Talk about a complete misfire Eventually the first console I owned was a Mega Drive Mark II with the Mega 6 game pack (Sonic 1, Superstar Soccer, Monaco GP, Columns, Streets of Rage, Revenge of Shinobi - real good times!). Got the other Sonic’s eventually, 2, Knuckles, 3D… As well as other action platformers like Dynamite Headdy, or Mickey Mania and Lion King… very nostalgic. The idea from here was that I would get a Sega Saturn since I loved playing on my friends, he had Sonic R, Hyrdo Thunder and the Sonic Jam collection. I was specifically taken with the archive of Japanese Sonic movie trailers / adverts & concept art which really blew my mind back then. However (luckily) I went PlayStation and started a new chapter of platforming with the Bandicoot and Dragon, and discovered Square’s Final Fantasy series. Whilst I stuck with Nintendo for the portables, a friend would lend his N64 and Dreamcast to me in later years which put me back in touch with Sonic in 3D for the adventure games (again, blew my mind back then). From then onwards I went Nintendo with the GameCube and onwards and didn’t look back. Only when on their last legs did I buy the cheaper PS2/3, Xbox360 etc… for any missing exclusives. And this has been how I’ve rolled since.
  17. I wanted Shadow to bring justice and peace to his new Android empire. Oh well, at least Shadow can now free his mind from Gerald's mind Matrix.
  18. Bortificatin

Well, if we're talking about being exposed to video game franchises in general, my first exposure would be seeing Sonic X on 4Kids or Pokemon on Cartoon Network. But if we're talking about actual games, then it would be the Nintendo DS Lite. It wasn't something I particularly requested, but one day my aunt showed up out of the blue and handed me the thing. I had no idea what it was all about but she and my father walked me through the basics of using it. She then gave me two games, Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team. I decided to try out MvD2 and the rest was history.
  19. Starry Skydancer

I think my first exposure to video games was my father letting me play on his old Commodore Amiga - He had games like Snake and Space invaders, Gods, Dinosaur Detective agency and Chaos Engine. I have fond memories of playing, I think I liked Snake and Space invaders the best, honestly.
  20. We're just 8 days away from the Paramount Plus premiere of a new Sonic cinematic universe spin-off TV series featuring Knuckles the Echidna. Marketing's in full swing now, and we've been gradually getting to see some footage from the series that will be taking place between Sonic Movie 2 and Sonic Movie 3. In fact, we got to see another clip from the show, courtesy of Rotten Tomatoes! The exclusive clip is only a minute long, but it does provide a general idea of the show. Maddie, Sonic and Tails are seen in the video. Meanwhile, Knuckles is training a dog to become a Echidna warrior. Of course, none of this is that surprising. At the end of Sonic Movie 2, Knuckles was only beginning to adjust to a new life on the planet, and the new clip is making it clear that said adjustments continue to be a work-in-progress. Nevertheless, we also know that Knuckles isn't just adjusting to life on the new planet he's now a part of. He's also giving deputy sheriff Wade Whipple some Echidna warrior training. The entire plot arc will be taking place over the course of 6 episodes, all of which will be available to watch on Paramount Plus when the series debuts next week, on April 26th. That all said, it's not out of the realm of possibility that there might be some hints towards where things may go with the third Sonic movie, which releases this December. As stated earlier, this series takes place between Sonic Movie 2 and Sonic Movie 3. It may not be anything major, but if there was a time to offer a small preview to what fans may be able to look forward to when Sonic the Hedgehog 3 arrives, this would be a good time to do so! Via Rotten Tomatoes
  21. Knight Terror

Elemental Shield Ideas Thread

Ice shield gives small double jump whilst shooting 8 directions of ice spikes like mecha sonic Mk ii.
  22. MGA_Gamer

As a child we had an NES that we would occasionally bring out. The first video game I ever played was Duck Hunt, but Super Mario Bros. was the first game I really got into.
  23. the first cover i believe, unless im mistaken it looks to be mimic (as duo) in the shadow of the phantom rider which reveals the identity.
  24. Cyb3rkn1ght

oh, I go WAAAAAY back Out of the BOX WII! now, I know what your thinking: how? you were born the year it came out. well, once I understood how it worked, I played all sorts of LEGO, Mario and random 3rd party games! it was paradise... wish I still had it, but it was traded for the switch, so I'm not entirely mad.
  25. Shiny Gems

Mine was back in the 90s when I was a little kid. We rented a SNES game for me to play a SNES game featuring Mickey Mouse from Blockbuster. I was not too good at it. I only made it to the game's first boss. After that, my parents got me a Sega Genesis for Christmas with Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and I loved it! It took me many tries to beat the game, though.
  26. Maple Syrup

Oh ok! My family got an Apple TV once. One day when I was 10, my parents downloaded tennis, Minion rush, Asphalt, and Sonic 1 on the TV. We would play games together a lot. We had a blast when we played! We would invite friends and see how far we would get in Minion Rush, or who gets the most wins on Asphalt. Sonic 1 never worked though. We would enjoy playing a lot and so my parents decided to buy me a switch for Christmas. We didn't buy games on it so it resulted in never being touched. We returned it and went on with our lives. Once I got more interest on video games, which was after I got introduced to Sonic, they bought me a Nintendo Switch OLED! Along with Just Dance and Sonic Superstars. I plan on buying some retro consoles and games when I grow older.
  27. Shiny Gems

Zone Idea Station - Share your Sonic Level Ideas Here!

Yep! Pretty much! So, what did you think of those ideas?
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.