Awoo.

The Taco Topic!

RosaRosaRosalina

This here's a topic for tacos, the wonderous food of Mexico! Hey, there's a and a so why can't there be one for these lovely delights?

slider_tacos3.png

These are Tacos.

The taco originated many centuries ago, and it's truly undecided where the taco originated. Some say they were originated in silver mines, others say it came from the Spainards exploring the New World. Whatever case it may be, the taco has seemed to lie in the culture of Mexico. Made with corn tortillas, ground beef and toppings like lettuce, tomatos, onions and sour cream, the Taco is one of the most famous cuisines in history once it was introduced to the United States in the 20th century and then became known to the world sometime later.

Food related to tacos include empanadas, frijitos, taquitos, burritos, the list goes on. Feel free to talk about those as well!

My favorite kind of taco is a nice soft shelled one. It's a bit easier to handle than the hardshell ones, but I love both types.

Also has anyone ever tried the Doritos taco at Taco Bell? I hear it's really good.

• Thumbs Up 7

Never had a taco. Had Pita's and Dürüms that resemble tho'.

I've yet to find a nearby place that sells them.

Edited by 少佐 Jin H. Kisaragi

Tacos are yummy. I like mine with ground chicken!

Now, about burritos... anyone ever been to Chipotle? They have the best burritos around.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's this place in that my brother went to called Chipotles. I would say, based on my brother's time there it's like the Mexican equivalent of Five Guys. I haven't been there myself (I do at some point though), but from he told me their tacos and burritos are quite good. And big. Literally he had to end up using a for towards the end of his meal because the stuff kept falling out lol.

To me, I usually prefer the crunchy shells, although I enjoy the soft as well. The beef HAS to be seasoned right for me to fully enjoy a taco though. I like chicken (seasoned good as well) with the soft shells more.

Edited by TheChaosBacon

There's this place in my city that makes the best soft shelled tacos in the world. They've even been on tv before.

Their tacos are probably my favorite think to eat ever.

When it comes to taco or burritos it really depends. When I'm at home I eat hard shelled beef taco's with salsa only. I dont like cheese or lettuce and such in those at all. I'm pretty plain when it comes to tacos/ Even then I would used to just dumb all the meat out and just eat the meat and thats it. When it comes to burritoes, I often prefer chicken burritos and even when I like just salsa on my burritos. I dont like cheese on many of these things. To me, Cheese isn't bad, but I feel it goes on certain things alot better than othes, and this isn't one of those things I prefer cheese to be on at all.

k1tr.jpg

Love of my lifeeeeee.  I find these impossibly moreish.  I just eat and eat til my stomach hurts.  Since I'm veggie I use Quorn Mince and Supersweet Sweetcorn for mine and it's delish.  Salad is kinda awkward so I usually just have the salsa that comes with the kit and sour cream with the kit-seasoned mince/sweetcorn mix.

• Thumbs Up 5

Oh how do I love tacos?  Let me count the ways...

I prefer soft tacos over hard tacos, though.  Hard tacos always fall apart and hurt my teeth.  Oh, those delicious tortilla shells with refried beans, ground beef, cheese, sour cream and olives and... darn it, people!  This topic is making me hungry! T_T

Apart from the Old El Paso dinner kits that JezMM posted, Taco's are nigh non-existent here in the UK. I don't think I've ever tried them.

We stopped using the old el paso kits awhile ago because my dad stopped liking them. We use the taco bell kits of the same thing that are right next to them. I dislike taco bell ALOT, but the shell kit is just fine. I've gotten sick at Taco Bell, not once, but TWICE at two DIFFERENT taco bells. It goes to show that well, I don't trust taco bell anymore and likely won't go there to try it again anymore. Getting sick twice from one particular restaurant definately is a trust killer.

Apart from the Old El Paso dinner kits that JezMM posted, Taco's are nigh non-existent here in the UK. I don't think I've ever tried them.

This is true.  Even at Mexican restaurants I never see Tacos on the menu (not that I go to Mexican places much because having been introduced to mexican food via Old El Paso the whole point of it is the customisation aspect and restaurants never give you enough sour cream, if any at all >8C).

I highly endorse the kits though.  The only thing sucky about them is you occasionally get a ridiculous taco shell that is way shorter on one side than the other, but frankly I just break those in half and just have a "flat taco" so to speak.  But yeah the seasoning they give you to mix into the mince combined with the crunchiness is just to die for, even if it is one of the messier products in their range (but hey just scoop up what lands on the plate and put it into the next taco).

I feel sorry for all the taco-enjoying UK folk now. XD

But we typically make our own tacos here.  At least, that's what my family does.  Granted, we use McCormick flavoring for the meat, so it's not all our own work.  I don't know if that's available in the UK or not.

Edited by Akito

I feel sorry for all the taco-enjoying UK folk now. XD

But we typically make our own tacos here.  At least, that's what my family does.  Granted, we use McCormick flavoring for the meat, so it's not all our own work.  I don't know if that's available in the UK or not.

We pretty much just have two brands here, Old El Paso and Discovery.  But I wouldn't befriend anyone who prefers Discovery, nothing I've had from them is as good as Old El Paso.  Supermarkets do their own too but they rarely stretch beyond a Fajita Kit, Burrito Kit and Nacho Kit at the most.

I had a makeshift taco for several of my lunches and dinners for the past few dinners. Pretty simple and straightforward: 1 tortilla, 2 slices of cheese, a lot of spinach, and hot dogs (They were on sale, okay?).

We pretty much just have two brands here, Old El Paso and Discovery.  But I wouldn't befriend anyone who prefers Discovery, nothing I've had from them is as good as Old El Paso.  Supermarkets do their own too but they rarely stretch beyond a Fajita Kit, Burrito Kit and Nacho Kit at the most.

I don't think I've heard of Discovery, but it doesn't sound like a particularly good brand.  The good news being that what you may lack in variety, you at least have in somewhat proper choice.  Aside from the local Mexican restaurants, Old El Paso is the best you can get for the price.

• 5 months later...

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-taco-bell-mobile-ordering-doritos-locos-tacos-20140211,0,7067148.story#ixzz2tXrF8hC3

We interrupt your usual foruming with some special(?) news! Taco Bell's coming out with a smartphone app sometime this year! (Yaaaay?)

Next time you get a craving for Taco Bell Doritos Locos Tacos or Mexican pizza, you may be able to order them on your phone. The Irvine-based fast food chain has started testing mobile ordering at five locations in Orange County, and plans to expand the program later this year.

With the new system, you can place your order using an app on your smartphone and pay with your credit card or a gift card.

"With the popularity of millennials and smart phones, we saw this [mobile ordering] coming, and decided to build the ground work a couple of years ago for mobile," said Jeff Jenkins, mobile lead for Taco Bell. "Mobile is going to be the biggest sort of innovator, shake-up in the quick service industry since the drive-thru."

The new app allows you to customize your order with multiple add-ons listed on the screen. Say you want to add jalapenos to your Doritos Locos Taco? No problem.

"When you're in the drive-thru and there are three cars behind you, you can feel the pressure to order quickly. It's what we call menu board anxiety," said Jenkins. "This gives you the opportunity to do it on your own time."

Once you place your order, you can choose a location near you to pick it up. To guarantee your tacos are hot, a GPS locator is used to tell the kitchen if you're close, and when to start cooking.

When you get to the restaurant, you can choose to pick up your order in-store or go through the drive-thru, depending on which line is shorter.

Taco Bell began developing the app more than two years ago. During the current testing phase, select individuals are performing beta tests to identify possible kinks in the system.

There's also a rotate to order feature that allows you to access your most frequent past orders when you turn your phone sideways. And a "My Bell" section saves and populates all your favorite orders.

Personally, I'm a fan of Taco Bell! ...in certain areas. Their food isn't the worst type of food out there, but some places have better Taco Bells than others.

I'm also not entirely sure if there are any Taco Bells in the UK, but if you just so happen to be a fan of their food, then more power to you!

• Thumbs Up 1

Haven't really had any tacos in my life unless they were homemade (so far as getting the shells at a supermarket and filling it in with other supermarket-bought ingredients). I swear on me mum that the next time I go to Manchester, I'll go to a Taco Bell. I was intending to try it out last time I visited back in June but ultimately I wanted to eat somewhere else. Taco Bell only has three restaurants in the UK, one in Manchester and two in Essex county. I'm missing out on another taste of America.

Rarely have tacos, I think I'm the only one in my family that likes them. Usually prefer soft tacos to hard ones.

This spanish place near where I use to live sells these $2 tacos that are just...fantastic. They use shredded beef instead of chopped beef and they are much more filling. I wish I had their menu available right now so I can write down what they put in it XD

We interrupt your usual foruming with some special(?) news! Taco Bell's coming out with a smartphone app sometime this year! (Yaaaay?)

Now I can order my gastrointestinal pains from the bathroom!  Technology these days sure is convenient!

Seriously, though, this is pretty cool.  Taco Bell is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine, but thankfully I'm the only one in my family who likes it so I don't have to worry about succumbing to the temptation and end up eating an unhealthy amount of it. XD

Tacos are perfect. I mean, not as perfect as quesadillas, but still perfect.

Y'all are making me want Taco Bell at 10 in the morning now...on a Monday, too. :v

Love tacos. Still don't quite understand how to eat them without the taco breaking up and a good quarter of the innards falling back on to the plate. But still love them.

Jez however is lazy sometimes, last time we had tacos he broke up the shells and mixed everything together in a bowl lol

What exactly are soft tacos?  Like surely the crispiness is the entire point of tacos, imagining a taco without a crispy shell and... isn't that basically just a fajita/burrito with a corn-based tortilla?

Okay I looked it up that is not a taco that is a dangerously overfilled unsealed fajita that will fall everywhere the moment you bite into it.

Edited by JezMM