Awoo.
  • IDW Releasing Two Sonic One Shots, Plus a Silver-Centric Issue This August

Sonic and friends get some summer fun, a milestone adventure, and give Silver the spotlight

IDW has revealed their line-up of Sonic comics for August, and it’s a doozy: the month will see the release of two jumbo-sized Sonic one-shots, plus the monthly comic’s 64th issue, which’ll be all about Sonic. 

One Shot: 900th Adventure

First, we have a special issue about Sonic’s “900th” adventure, which appears to be commemorating Sonic’s 900th issue of sequential storytelling, including all the comics and manga released over the decades (which you can read about here, FYI, though I really need to add Sonic Adventures & fix some typ-os). Check out the solicit below:

Saving the world is a piece of cake when you’re a speedy blue hedgehog. And Sonic is about to go on his 900th world-saving adventure! Sonic and his friends are playing a game of hot potato! Only the potato is the Warp Topaz, and it could warp the whole world into oblivion! The gang is passing off the Warp Topaz in a relarace to get rid of it once and for all. 

The story will retail for $5.99 and feature contributions from “various” writers and artists. Amongst the writers, Ian Flynn has confirmed he’s writing the comic’s bookend framing device. Daniel Barnes (Scrapnik Island) and Aaron Hammerstrom have also been confirmed. Aaron Hammerstrom will also be penciling his story, and Mauro Fonseca will also be penciling a story. Nathalie Fourdraine and Reggie Graham have both been confirmed for colors, and Rik Mack will be handling some of the issue’s inks.

The comic will also have seven different covers, all from pretty notable Sonic comic artists. Easily the most surprising (and most familiar, for our older British readers) is legendary Sonic the Comic artist Richard Elson. His cover was not among the ones shown today, unfortunately.

In addition to elson, we’ve got other legendary Sonic artists such as Tracy Yardley!, Jon Gray, Yuji Uekawa, Adam Bryce Thomas, Evan Stanley, and Nathalie Fourdraine. You can check out Uekawa’s (B) ,Thomas’ (D), and Fourdraine’s (retail incentive) covers below:

One Shot: Endless Summer

Next, we have “Sonic the Hedgehog Endless Summer,” which is part of a larger line of IDW one-shots of summer-centered stories featuring other characters including My Little Pony, TMNT, and Dungeons and Dragons. 

We’re bringing you an endless summer with everyone’s favorite characters in four unique one-shots! Wave goodbye to the office and say hello to the beach! Sonic drags Jewel on a well-deserved beach day to spend time with her besties, Tangle and Whisper! But when they all settle in for some rest and relaxation…they realize the Babylon Rogues had the same idea… at the same beach. The only way to settle this is with a totally tubular beach showdown!

The issue will feature writing by Gale Galligan and art by Tracy Yardley! and retail for $7.99. It will also feature three covers from Tracy Yardley! (cover A), Jack Lawerence and Reggie Graham (cover B), and Natalie Haines (retail incentive cover). There will also be a coloring book version of Yardley’s cover. You can check out all of these covers below:

Sonic the Hedgehog #64

Finally, we have issue 64, which’ll be a special Silver-centered issue featuring two stories. The story is part of a larger story arc about the villain Mimic infiltrating the Diamond Cutters. This will, oddly enough, be the second time Silver has attempted to weed out a potential traitor in a Sonic comic.

This issue is all about Silver the Hedgehog! First, he’s incredibly suspicious of the Diamond Cutter’s new member and he jumps to a conclusion that leads him to some hasty accusations. Awkwardness ensues. Then, Blaze comforts Silver as they bond over being away from home and in Sonic’s world.

The comic will retail for $3.99 and feature writing from Evan Stanley, who is writing the comic’s main story, and Ian Flynn, who will be writing the back up. It will also feature interior art by Aarom Hammerstrom and Evan Stanley, as well as three covers from Jack Lawerence (A), Jennifer Hernandez (B), and Nathalie Fourdraine (retail incentive). Check them out below:

Although these comics are all currently scheduled for August, this could change in the future, as IDW has been known to delay comics. Stay tuned for future IDW Sonic updates!

Sonic News Tips Credit:
    Shiny Gems

The Sonic Stadium may link to retailers and earn a small commission on purchases made from users who click those links. These links will only appear in articles related to the product, in an unobtrusive manner, and do not influence our editorial decisions in any way. All proceeds will go to supporting our community and continued coverage of Sonic the Hedgehog. Thank you in advance for your kind support!

Sonic Wiki Database: Related Entries

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

PC the Hedgehog

Posted

900? Where'd that number come from? Like, the 900th Sonic comic, maybe? I'm too lazy to do the math.

Also...is that Sonic the Comic artist Richard Elson doing a cover?

One more one shot:

Also, lol:

I love this, IDW Sonic is starting to be one of the most multifaceted comics, they really are having all types of stories, from the horror to the dramatic, to action, sad plots, big sagas and fun one shots, side characters mini series, bombastic interaction based stories. I honestly am loving this variety, shows we can have both long sagas and fun adventures with the cast.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

900? Where'd that number come from? Like, the 900th Sonic comic, maybe? I'm too lazy to do the math.

Also...is that Sonic the Comic artist Richard Elson doing a cover?

It seems that Adam Bryce Thomas did the cover, or one of the variants. Another is done by Sega of Japan.

IT"S OVER NINE HUNDREEED!!!!!

Yeah, I don't get it either

290 Archie + 223 Fleetway + 60ish IDW isn't enough. Even if we add SU, Knuckles, Sonic X and Boom it's around 750. I could add all the specials and miniseries, but that's really sketchy at this point.
    It could mean Time Travel, sorta "here's Sonic from future, after 900 adventures", but that still doesn't sound right. So I have no idea.

Interesting that there are "Author: Various". This implies this single story might actually be a bunch of smaller ones. Overall, I'm curious, but not hyped yet. Too vague to get my interest beyond "hey, more Sonic".

Also, the covers for 900th Adventure.

To be honest, I do not get the 900th Adventure thing either.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm confused about the "4 one shots" it seems like it's only one story for Endless Summer, the description however says 4 one shots, but it only describes the story where Sonic and IDW girls play against the Babylon. I thought it was 4 stories in the same comic, or maybe the other 3 haven't been announced yet.

Ducktor Naldush

Posted

12 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

I'm confused about the "4 one shots" it seems like it's only one story for Endless Summer, the description however says 4 one shots, but it only describes the story where Sonic and IDW girls play against the Babylon. I thought it was 4 stories in the same comic, or maybe the other 3 haven't been announced yet.

"Endless Summer" is actually a "Cross-Through" event, that is, it will be made of different and separate one shot issues themed after the hottest season of the year, starring different IDW series in their own self-contained summer adventures

EDIT - FORGOT TO MENTION THIS, but, even though the characters of the IDW series won't meet each other, as, I stress, THIS IS NOT A CROSSOVER EVENT, readers will be able to connect the Jack Lawrence covers with the beach and the seaside for one large singular illustration

• Thumbs Up 3

Here are two covers for another.

I think Silver is pulling off a Pepe Sylvia from that one show in the second image.

• Thumbs Up 1

PC the Hedgehog

Posted

32 minutes ago, ShinyGems said:

It seems that Adam Bryce Thomas did the cover, or one of the variants. Another is done by Sega of Japan.

Right, the one on display there, but the solicit says there's a retailer incentive cover by "Elison." Dunno if it's Richard, but still interesting to see.

1 minute ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Right, the one on display there, but the solicit says there's a retailer incentive cover by "Elison." Dunno if it's Richard, but still interesting to see.

My bad. I can’t seem to find it, but I believe you.

29 minutes ago, Ducktor Naldush said:

"Endless Summer" is actually a "Cross-Through" event, that is, it will be made of different and separate one shot issues themed after the hottest season of the year, starring different IDW series in their own self-contained summer adventures

EDIT - FORGOT TO MENTION THIS, but, even though the characters of the IDW series won't meet each other, as, I stress, THIS IS NOT A CROSSOVER EVENT, readers will be able to connect the Jack Lawrence covers with the beach and the seaside for one large singular illustration

It's kind of a wasted opportunity to have a common theme and no crossover but I suppose a crossover would have to be ambitious.

About issue 64, let’s just hope Silver finds the Pepe Sylvia or Carol in HR that exists in the Sonic universe, or Blaze will have to say they all exist and that they have been asking for something on a daily basis.

Ducktor Naldush

Posted

4 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

It's kind of a wasted opportunity to have a common theme and no crossover but I suppose a crossover would have to be ambitious.

That is not actually the first time IDW has done this

Some years ago they had a "Deviations" theme, with one-shots showing us bad endings to past stories and the characters reacting to them, and even earlier they had a "Mars Attacks IDW" event where the Martians from "Mars Attack" invaded different IDW stories. 

290 Archie + 223 Fleetway + 60(?) IDW + 32 Mainline games + 12 Game Gear games + 5 GBA games + 19-ish misc Spin Off Games + 4 (5 if we count Boom) Cartoons + 2 Movies = 647

If we include the mangas (there's 10(?) of them) then it's 657. If we include mobile games (I think 21??? ) that's 678

That's not even close to 900. I could be wrong in my math but yea.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's a lot of IDW Sonic news today to sink In loving the covers for Issue #64 with Silver and should be Interesting as well Issue #64. That's going to be a lot of physical variant covers going In my IDW Sonic comics collection 😊

Here's another cover for Sonic the Hedgehog: Endless Summer 1:10 Retailer Incentive Variant

spacer.png

Art: The black & white line art from Tracy Yardley’s A Cover

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

290 Archie + 223 Fleetway + 60(?) IDW + 32 Mainline games + 12 Game Gear games + 5 GBA games + 19-ish misc Spin Off Games + 4 (5 if we count Boom) Cartoons + 2 Movies = 647

If we include the mangas (there's 10(?) of them) then it's 657. If we include mobile games (I think 21??? ) that's 678

Archie has far more than 290 issues when you consider the off-shoot series like the Knuckles and Sonic Universe (all a part of the same continuity), plus several mini-series and quarterly specials they produced back in the 90s. Though, borrowing your numbers I still only got over 800. Even including the Sonic X comic brings it 852. I don't actually know what the number itself is meant to represent unless they just rounded it with re-releases and shit too.

• Thumbs Up 4

It really doesn't help the calculations but Fleetway should really count as 184 because everything after that is reprints except the covers.

2 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

Do you think it would count the episodes of the cartoons separately? 

Like Sonic X = 78 + Sonic Boom (TV) = 104 + AoStH = 66 + SatAM = 26 + Sonic Prime = 24 + Sonic OVA = 2 = 300?

Maybe it's just an arbitrary big number to make it seem important, like Sonic getting his 1000000000th ring in Archie.

• Thumbs Up 4

14 minutes ago, Razule said:

Maybe it's just an arbitrary big number to make it seem important, like Sonic getting his 1000000000th ring in Archie.

Honestly, this reminds me of that April Fools episode of The Price is Right where they hyped a 10,000th something... that ultimately never happened!

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Endless Summer…to be honest, eh. I’m beginning to grow to the point that I feel like Tangle and Whisper are getting a bit too much spotlight. I really like both characters, don’t get me wrong, but it just feels like they’re usually the shoe in for standalone ties ins, or their own plotlines in the main series, and I feel like it could’ve been nice to give the story to other characters who don’t get much spotlight, if the synopsis is true that it’s only Sonic + three diamond cutters.

I saw someone say something similar to this on Twitter so I think people are definitely getting tired of them being in nearly every story arc. I know they're fan favorites but it's a little ridiculous when you have characters like Knuckles and Shadow having nearly 2 years between their appearances in the main comics. I'm sure I'll enjoy the one-shot issue itself but tl;dr yeah I wish they'd do something new with the characters or just give them a break for a while.

Spoiler

I'm kinda annoyed they got paired up with the Babylon Rogues again - the only time the Rogues have actually shown up in the main series as far as i remember was for the end of the metal virus saga, outside of that they only show up to antagonize the Diamond Cutters for some reason.

As for the other one-shot, 900 does just seem like a random big number they chose - though if you count the individual episodes from each tv show (AoSTH, SatAM, Underground, X, Boom, and the 8 episodes Prime currently has = 321) and add it with the total someone got above of 647 you actually do get a count of way over 900. Have to wonder if that was on purpose, though as someone else mentioned there's also a buttload of other comic spin-offs... maybe they didn't include some stuff? I still don't think it means anything, considering it seems entirely irrelevant to the actual premise of the one-shot. Looking forward to the Elson cover, at least, assuming it is the same guy who did Sonic the Comic.