Awoo.
  • SAGE 4 Interview: 'Sonic: Eternal Rings' Developer Myst Hedgehog

Developer of Sonic: Eternal Rings.

Myst Hedgehog is currently running his latest Fan Game project, Sonic: Eternal Rings at SAGE 2002. Also helped contribute to the SAGE 2002 compo we held, the nice chap. ^_^ We sit down with him to learn more about his game.

2002-03-sage-eternal-rings.gif

TSS: Myst Hedgehog, thanks for being here today.

Myst: It's cool, I'm happy to be here.

TSS: What is your Fan Game all about? Can you reveal a little bit of the plot for those that don't have a clue about this game as of yet?

Myst: For those who haven't played it yet, the plot is about Eggman finding the five Eternal Rings (an ancient source of power, told to be a legend) and using them to power his ultimate Egg Mobile, the Mad Egg 2K2 (I know the name sucks :P).

Sonic and Tails are taking a vacation when they're surprised by Eggman, who challenges Sonic to a fight. Sonic accepts, but leaves defeated! As Eggman leaves, Tails suggests they find the Chaos Emeralds to defeat Eggman. The plot couldn't be simpler, but as you progress through the game you'll have some good surprises and you'll see it's not that simple.

Just a little thing: Knuckles will appear.

TSS: Sonic Eternal Rings is set after Sonic & Knuckles. Why did you decide to set the game at this time? Would the plot have ran more smoothly that way, or are there certain story aspects from the old Mega Drive (or Genesis) Sonic games that Sonic: ER can utilise to its advantage over the plot aspects from the 3D Sonic Adventures?

Myst: Surely there are. Sonic: Eternal Rings is set to happen after Sonic & Knuckles because they see Eggman's spaceship falling with a series of explosions following it. So in the beginning of Sonic: Eternal, Sonic and Tails are relaxed because they think Eggman's dead.

TSS: When did you first get the idea for Sonic: Eternal Rings?

Myst: The idea for Sonic: Eternal Rings came when I found SFGHQ (in that time I didn't have a PC). I thought, "Cool, I can do this!". I begged my mother for a PC and I got TGF. I started production of the game the moment I got it.

TSS: What kind of feel are you trying to create with Sonic: ER?

Myst: I'm trying to make a good Sonic Fan Game. I want this game to show the SFGHQ elite that newbies can do some good stuff too. They just need support and patience. I got both of those things and... go see the result.

TSS: What special features make your fan game different from all the others on show at SAGE? Basically 'sell' your game to me in a few lines... 😄

Myst: Hehehe. Well, my game doesn't have anything new at all at this time. I'm working on some stuff though. Wait a while... you'll see. 😛

TSS: How long has development taken so far on Sonic Eternal Rings?

Myst: Hmmm... not so long. My engine's almost ready though. And the only level I have ready yet is the one present in the demo.

TSS: Any major hitches you have encountered during the making of this game? Spill the beans on your biggest development problem to date.

Myst: Stopdead fixing! That one was the reason I almost canned the game. I spent a lot of time trying to make a bugless stopdead method. In a more recent way, I'm having trouble trying to make a proper random weather system. 😛

TSS: How well do you feel Sonic: Eternal Rings is progressing?

Myst: I feel Sonic: Eternal Rings is progressing really well. You might expect a demo sooner than what you think.

TSS: How do you see your chances winning the booth polling, against other games you've seen at SAGE so far?

Myst: Honestly, I think my game major sucks compared to some games like SA: Neo, SV2 and SP so... I don't think I stand a chance.

TSS: Finally, what's the best looking game you've seen at the expo so far?

Myst: Definitely, SV2. I just love everything in that game! I play it even now, after I completed the demo several times. I recommend it to everyone!

TSS: Myst Hedgehog, developer of Sonic Eternal Rings, thank you for your time.

The Sonic Stadium may link to retailers and earn a small commission on purchases made from users who click those links. These links will only appear in articles related to the product, in an unobtrusive manner, and do not influence our editorial decisions in any way. All proceeds will go to supporting our community and continued coverage of Sonic the Hedgehog. Thank you in advance for your kind support!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

This is now closed for further comments

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.