Awoo.
  • RUMOR: Sonic Origins Plus Coming in June, Will Include Game Gear Games & Playable Amy

Sonic Origins Plus’s announcement is probably coming pretty soon. A rating for the game released last month, and now ComicBook.com appears to have accidentally posted an article announcing the game early. Said article has now been deleted, but remnants of it can still be found via the site’s search engine and through Google caching. The article confirmed the following:

• Sonic Origins Plus will release digitally and physically for $39.99 on June 23, owners of the original game can get the DLC for $9.99
    • All 12 Sonic Game Gear games will be include and playable via the museum.
    • Amy Rose will be playable across all the 16-bit games.
    • Knuckles will be playable in Sonic CD
    • All Digital Deluxe content will be included
    • Physical Editions will include 20-page artbook & new reversible cover art.

CB isn’t always the most reliable site, especially when it comes to rumors, but what makes this notable is the nature of the article. That it was posted as matter-of-fact news, that it was deleted, all make this notable…as a rumor. Since this isn’t coming directly from SEGA, and we have no way of confirming this ourselves, we’ve labeled it as a rumor, will be reporting it as such, and we encourage our readers to treat it that way.

An announcement is probably imminent… or maybe this was written up to for up in a week, or a month. We’ll know soon enough!

Sonic News Tips Credit:
    DaBigJ

The Sonic Stadium may link to retailers and earn a small commission on purchases made from users who click those links. These links will only appear in articles related to the product, in an unobtrusive manner, and do not influence our editorial decisions in any way. All proceeds will go to supporting our community and continued coverage of Sonic the Hedgehog. Thank you in advance for your kind support!
    • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Wiki Database: Related Entries

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Here's your trailer. It seems like Amy plays like Sonic but with a massive jumping hitbox, neat.

Ming Ming Hatsune

Posted

YEEEEESSSSSSS! My eyes are shining like diamond!

Can't wait to revisit Origins playing my favorite character!

In all honesty, the amount of stuff being promised in the leak seemed too good to be true.  Well, it still won't be perfect, but this significantly sweetens the deal of the whole package.  I didn't bother getting Origins before, but with all these extensions to the base games with new playable characters... well...

I'm curious as to how Amy plays.  I didn't really expect them to go back to her Sonic Advance moveset, which felt like it had a somewhat different philosophy to every other character in the game and was subsequently rolled back.  And it never really made sense that she wouldn't be able to spin dash, given that the ability was inspired by hedgehogs in the first place!  So at first glance it looks like what they might have done is to make Amy an easy mode - she has an extended spin attack hitbox, and might even have some continued protection on landing, given that there's a shot where she lands and the hammer spin is still animated for a few frames.  This was an approach I thought they might take with her.  At least, that's how it looks just from the trailer clips.

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually might buy this for the Game Gear titles since those games(along with the Advance titles) don't get re-released often enough, and I've bought the original trilogy more than a gajillion times already. 16-bit Spinball and 3D Blast not being included honestly sucks balls, but thankfully the Sega Genesis Collection remedies that.

Game Gear games being included is nice. I'd like at least an option to swap with a Master System version when possible for the extra real-estate and minor changes for preservation sake, but I'm not expecting that and am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. 

What's strange to me is if the GG catalogue is here, why not the other Genesis games? I understand if they're wary of Chaotix devaluing things maybe, but if they're putting Sonic Spinball's trashy 8-bit version, why not include the Genesis spin-offs as emulations? Mean Bean, 3D Blast and Spinball range from "okay" to "really fun sometimes actually" and if Mega Collection had 'em, I don't see why they're excluding them this go round.

Maybe there's another secondary Classic/Origins collection on the horizon.

2 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Game Gear games being included is nice. I'd like at least an option to swap with a Master System version when possible for the extra real-estate and minor changes for preservation sake, but I'm not expecting that and am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. 

What's strange to me is if the GG catalogue is here, why not the other Genesis games? I understand if they were wary of Chaotix maybe, but if they're putting Sonic Spinball's trashy 8-bit version, why not include the Genesis spin-offs as emulations? Mean Bean, 3D Blast and Spinball range from "okay" to "really fun sometimes actually" and if Mega Collection had 'em, I don't see why they're excluding them this go round.

Maybe there's another secondary Classic/Origins collection on the horizon.

Maybe they aren't so worried about the genesis games since those are already on the Genesis Collection that every system is mandated by law to have. Game gear ones are a bit harder to get, so those may have a priority. Chaotix I assume is because sega still doesn't have a working 32X emulator that they're happy with. Isn't that the reason it wasn't on the PS2 collection?

Would've been nice to have the Saturn version of 3D Blast here though.

Hm.. The only really substantial thing here is playable Amy. Game Gear titles are a fine addition, but I'd rather they included the Master System versions of the games that had them. I feel they could have at the very least added the rest of the Genesis titles and more game options (lives in anniversary, emulation in classic mode) but oh well. Hoping for some silent bug fixes too like the laggy menus and scaling issues on Switch, and whatever else 3&K needs (it's been a while, I just remember it had lots of issues).

Amy's inclusion is the only good thing about this update if I'm honest. Knux not being in CD from the get-go was a big oversight, let's be honest, his late addition, now with an extra fee, is a kick in the dick. The thing I don't understand is the GG games over the SMS games, or Spinball/3D Blast. Really, fucking Sonic Blast over literally any other Sonic game is almost a sin. Let's face it, they could've added everything, as in the whole catalog, even Chaotix and R, but yeah... Still not the ULTIMATE celebration I personally was hoping for.

And no word about any fixes for Sonic 3 either... Or if Headcannon was called back.

Something to note from the trailer is that Knuckles being added to CD isn't mentioned or even shown once. I'm willing to bet that, like with Mania Plus, this feature will be implemented among other balances and bugfixes in a free patch; so Amy and the GG games would be the paid content that's added. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Something to note from the trailer is that Knuckles being added to CD isn't mentioned or even shown once. I'm willing to bet that, like with Mania Plus, this feature will be implemented among other balances and bugfixes in a free patch; so Amy and the GG games would be the paid content that's added. 

Sonic Team would have to be scummy to lock Knux in CD behind DLC, so you're most likely right here

I sure hope so.

As glad as I am that Amy is playable, seeing the screenshots of the 8-bit games not being in Widescreen definitely dims my enthusiasm a bit, particularly because 8-bit Sonic 2 is an infamous stinker with screen crunch, and as some people have said, a lot of those Game Gear games had counterpart Master System releases.  Okay, I grant that those titles haven't received the time and effort to get genuine HD remasters that the Genesis games did, so we're going to be stuck with ROMs for now, but they at least could have given us ROMs for some with the visibility afforded by 1990s TV sets.

And just as was the case with 16-bit Sonic, it's fangame developers who are leading the charge in glowing up 8-bit Sonic.

The Japanese site says the following:

In "Sonic Origins Plus", even one of the recorded titles "Sonic CD" can now play games with Knuckles! In addition, new routes will be added to some stages of "Sonic CD" as a new play. Please try to capture it!

It's quite exciting that they've added new routes for Knuckles and there are of course four different time-zones in CD so hopefully they'll add new routes to each time-zone.

In addition, we have made various improvements based on user feedback, such as modifying action behavior and improving specifications.

Wonder if "Modifying action behavior" refers to how the drop-dash was not correctly implemented in S1, 2 & CD and maybe the annoying collision and other fixes needed in 3K?

In response to enthusiastic requests from fans, a lively and bright hedgehog girl "Emmy" will appear as a playable character. Enjoy a different adventure from Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles!

"Emmy". Google translate heh...

I assume when they mean different adventure they just mean playing with her instead of the others and not that she will have different layouts or have a completed different story like Knuckles does in 3K?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's gonna be the same story but she has her own moves probably. Nice that they fixed some bugs but that should not require you to buy the DLC.

2 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

Nice that they fixed some bugs but that should not require you to buy the DLC.

I think the vanilla version of Origins will receive a free update with bug fixes without the need to purchase Origins' Plus because they did the same with the vanilla version of Mania which got a free update with bug fixes when Mania Plus released.

• Thumbs Up 1