Awoo.
  • Sonic Origins Plus Full Multi-Regional Boxarts Revealed

Better call three friends to help you carry regionally appropriate hardware!

We've got a few glimpses of Sonic Origins Plus' physical edition in their pre-order graphics, but today, the official Sonic twitter posted a full-sized look at the game's reversible covers in three regional variations.

Featuring art by Mark Hughes, each not only pays homage to their individual region's style, but also references a different game on the collection as well: the North American version has the black and gray checkerboard associated with Sonic 2, the European box art calls back to Sonic 1's classic Mega Drive grid with tan background, and the Japanese version is an explosions of colorful geometry that defines much of the era's Sonic box art (but most closely resembles Sonic 3). The hardware pictured in each adapts regionally as well, including the cartridge label for Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles, and the style of... whatever you call that 16-bit console locally.

This continues Sonic Mania Plus' homage to retro Sonic box art (which used the Red Genesis or Blue Mega Drive border). Though I think we're all holding out hope for a dedicated Master System collection some day featuring Sonic's disembodied foot.

The Sonic Stadium may link to retailers and earn a small commission on purchases made from users who click those links. These links will only appear in articles related to the product, in an unobtrusive manner, and do not influence our editorial decisions in any way. All proceeds will go to supporting our community and continued coverage of Sonic the Hedgehog. Thank you in advance for your kind support!

Sonic Wiki Database: Related Entries

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Damn, am I really going to have to import a US and JP version of this on top of the European so I can get all three covers?

Maybe. Maybe I will.

• Thumbs Up 1

Already preordered the JP & EU versions.

Not the biggest fan of the US box-art for 1, 2, CD & 3K, but the Origins Plus box-art looks sick.

1 hour ago, Dreadknux said:

Damn, am I really going to have to import a US and JP version of this on top of the European so I can get all three covers?

Maybe. Maybe I will.

*rubs temples*
    Dread, don't buy three copies of this. Just... just don't. Nobody needs that. Especially with shipping.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the detail that the consoles and cartridges in the art itself are all their regional variants, it’s such a nice touch. I’ve got to be honest, I’m equally tempted to import the other variants. Not all at once, but it’s definitely on the bucket list, because all these boxes are just too pretty.

8 hours ago, GX -The Spindash- said:

*rubs temples*
    Dread, don't buy three copies of this. Just... just don't. Nobody needs that. Especially with shipping.

I can't just download and print off PDFs, GX. It's not good enough, dammit!

Maybe just the EU and JP one then. I am actually very surprised at how much I am enjoying the JP alt cover, to be honest.

10 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

I can't just download and print off PDFs, GX. It's not good enough, dammit!

Maybe just the EU and JP one then. I am actually very surprised at how much I am enjoying the JP alt cover, to be honest.

Maybe... don't own all three?

MegaDrive master race, Let's go! EU getting the good stuff. Japanese one looks the best though, in my opinion.

On 4/28/2023 at 12:37 AM, juiceDpunk983 said:

MegaDrive master race, Let's go! EU getting the good stuff. Japanese one looks the best though, in my opinion.

Same here long time Sega Mega Drive fan and love the EU box art and grew up with as well. I do agree the Japanese version looks amazing and to be honest they all looked fantastic In there own way from the different regions.

I can’t see myself getting this unless Sega patches out the forced bilinear filtering. Until then, I’ll stick with my modded PC version.