Awoo.
  • Sonic Origins Plus New Content Will Be On Download Code

Amy and Game Gear content won't be on the disc. Or cartridge.

Those of you who like all your gaming bits and bytes on a physical medium may be in for a little disappointment with the upcoming Sonic Origins Plus release this month. According to information on the game's box, the additional 'Plus' content - playable Amy Rose, Knuckles in Sonic CD the Game Gear titles and more - will only be served to players in the form of a downloadable code.

The information came from eagle-eyed Sonic fan SnazzySonic, who saw a bunch of promotional Sonic Origins Plus boxes on his local GameStop store shelf. "I almost had a heart attack when I thought my GameStop was selling Sonic Origins Plus early," Snazzy said. But for other fans, the heart attack would be had after looking at the back of the box.

soplus-boxback.jpeg

Image credit: Snazzy on Twitter

As you can see on the blurb there, the physical edition of Sonic Origins Plus comes complete with all of the bonus content DLC originally released for the base game last year (which actually IS present on the disc/cartridge), as well as the new playable characters and Game Gear titles. But there is a line underneath the Plus-specific content that reads, "Downloadable via included code."

For many, this won't be too much of a problem, but there are plenty of people out there that are passionate about game preservation who will feel that the lack of the additional content on disc risks Amy, Knuckles in CD and the GG games being lost media in the far future. You might even wonder why there's a physical edition in the first place if you're not getting all of the content on the media. So you can see why this is a bit of an issue.

soplus-poster.jpeg

Image credit: Snazzy on Twitter

Still, at least the GameStop had a rad looking Sonic Origins Plus poster to show off at least. So you know, the day wasn't a total loss, right?

Sonic News Tips Credit:
    DaBigJ

The Sonic Stadium may link to retailers and earn a small commission on purchases made from users who click those links. These links will only appear in articles related to the product, in an unobtrusive manner, and do not influence our editorial decisions in any way. All proceeds will go to supporting our community and continued coverage of Sonic the Hedgehog. Thank you in advance for your kind support!

Sonic Wiki Database: Related Entries

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

3 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

20230606_062027_(1).thumb.jpg.d124d4799aab6d0ef73fdcda7628ddbe.jpg

This is just ridiculous, how the hell can they just slap it onto a code? Why even have a physical release at this point?

Physical release of Origins, Plus included an an expansion. It means that in the future they can release the base version of Origins physically with minimal extra work, and also so that they can charge people for the Plus content if they buy the game secondhand. Even though the Mania Plus content was actually physical rather than being limited to just a download code, SEGA did eventually release a physical version of Mania without the Plus content included. 

Makes sense for SEGA, even if it's a bit shitty for the customer. 

• Absolutely 1

3 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Physical release of Origins, Plus included an an expansion. It means that in the future they can release the base version of Origins physically with minimal extra work, and also so that they can charge people for the Plus content if they buy the game secondhand. Even though the Mania Plus content was actually physical rather than being limited to just a download code, SEGA did eventually release a physical version of Mania without the Plus content included. 

Makes sense for SEGA, even if it's a bit shitty for the customer. 

You make some great valid points there about the secondhand plus contents being changed.

I would rather have the disc Included like they did with Sonic Mania Plus. But this Is the closest physical release we have got for Sonic Origins Plus. I know It’s not great not Including the physical disc for Sonic Origins Plus. But at least we have somehow got a physical version of Sonic Origins Plus on all platforms of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems pretty common / standard practise to me.

A lot of GOTY/Definitive/Ultimate editions of games also do this if they include DLC. Not great if purchasing second-hand as mentioned, but from a business perspective it's practical.

I get where you are coming from though, especially since this title hasn't actually had a physical release yet. 

• Thumbs Up 2

At this point, don't trust Sega with remasters or collections. New games seem to be the only things they can get right in the game side of Sonic.

2 hours ago, Tornado said:

I like how Sega can't go 10 fucking seconds with this game without taking an L.

Tell me about It I can understand your frustration not Including the disc for PC and console versions of the game. I already have the game on digital was planning to get the physical version until hearing this today.

From my point of view It should of have the disc for PC consoles and cartridge for the Switch version. I think we are all disappointed by this to be honest It's just unfortunate really.

Though I don’t think it’s that big of a deal in the grand scheme it really is impressive just how consistently Sega fucks up the easiest of lat ups, genuinely not one single remaster they haven’t botched and it’s a wonder why Fans are so insistent on just playing with fan games/mods

It's an incredibly bad and misleading move to release it like this. This was targeted towards collectors. We were sold that this was going to be the full package, the whole thing. There was not even an asterisk where they said 16 classic titles to denote it's not included on disc/cartridge, it's just a flat out lie. What's even more insane is seeing people defend this garbage. Blue Blood is probably right in that they would want to release a plain version later down the line like they did with Mania (and that was US only afaik, Australia still has Mania Plus in print with the holo cover and everything on the disc/cartridge).

It kind of defeats the entire purpose of even existing if much of what they are selling to us, is just.. a download code or internet required paid content for those buying secondhand. Everything I have seen with Origins Plus, including this physical release tells me they have learned nothing. Makes me highly doubt they did any bug fixes, but maybe that's just me being cynical. Most games that require download are now legally required to denote that in the front of the box but I guess because Plus is an expansion it technically avoids that rule? No matter, it's still a slap to the face for anyone who wanted to support this game. If someone wants to buy this used, borrow it on loan from a library or friend, or family member, they are screwed out of a good chunk of the advertised content.

I dunno, I was almost justifying purchasing it because of the cool reversible cover, art book, and the fact that it had the additional content on disc.. but we've been misled so now I have no interest at all in this. With all means, I'll stick to the originals or decomps if I'm feeling fancy. Very disappointed in the executive who thought this was a good idea.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd just like to point something out here.

Mania Plus added two new characters, a whole new game mode, and support for 3+4 player versus mode and was able to fit all of that DLC content on a disc and cart.

Meanwhile, Origins Plus only adds one new character and twelve roms, yet it can't be placed onto the disc or cart itself for...reasons.

You cannot defend that bro.

• Thumbs Up 3

Fair point, it is a weird way of releasing a collection of remastered retro games as physical media. Even if the DLC content is mostly emulated content. 

I'm kinda torn on this. Personally, whilst I don't think this is an ideal move I also find it frankly bizarre that certain news outlets are jumping on this as though SEGA have done something unfathomably wrong and that consumers need to be warned. Reality is that GOTY editions of titles are a pretty standard move across the board (by which I mean to have the DLC remain as DLC access rather than be on the disk/cart). This is not uncommon, even if it's not what "we" want.

I'd also pitch that no one really asked for/wanted the 12 Game Gear games that are available in countless other collections / games / online / virtual consoles anyway. I'd just be buying Origins Plus mainly to physically to own the original 4 revitalised games. If it was a code in box scenario for the entire collection then I'd be getting on my high horse.

As for playable Amy being tied to the DLC? That perhaps is another conversation to have about with inclusions of content on cart... but then we also live in an age where buying physical media never exclusively means getting the full thing without needing some sort of update/patch later on down the road anyway. It's just the weird world of video games that we live in these days. 

TL;DR - Like most products, there are probably a lot of nonsensical / logistical arguments & reasons that decide how companies release these titles. None that any of us will ever really understand... well... except for the money factor. That always underlines the conversation.  

Fuck Sega you don't want my money, fine, I want to play as Amy so I will still buy your digital code but only that, no physical release for me if that is the case.

Wait...what?

Isn't Origins Plus supposed to be one big package now digitally? Why is the "Plus" part being treated as a separate thing?

Spoiler

On a more doomer note: How broken is the Plus content where they aren't even confident enough to put it on the disc...

On 6/7/2023 at 4:32 AM, DaBigJ said:

Meanwhile, Origins Plus only adds one new character and twelve roms, yet it can't be placed onto the disc or cart itself for...reasons.

That reason is capitalism.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice as it would've been to own this physically, I was already on the fence about paying a game's price just for the DLC, a nice box and a little art book. This is a dealbreaker for me on getting the physical.  It always bothered me that to play Mania Plus on the Switch, I had to go plug the cartridge in (where before Mania was just available to play at all times no matter where I was).  The idea of doing the same for Origins Plus in the knowledge that the Plus stuff isn't even on the wedge of plastic I'm having to locate to launch the game is just kind of insulting somehow, lol. I'll be sticking to just getting the DLC I think.