Awoo.
  • 'Sonic Origins Plus' Rated in Korea

Could additional retro games be incoming?

It looks like an updated version of classic compilation Sonic Origins is in the works, as the Game Rating and Administration Board of Korea has recently listed a product titled ‘Sonic Origins Plus’.

The listing, spotted by Gematsu, simply details the name of the product. No other information has been unveiled, but given the original compilation was released on a number of modern platforms (including Nintendo Switch, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series and PC), it wouldn’t be a stretch to assume this ‘Plus’ version would be destined for the same.

8BA86CC6-681D-409D-BB86-C6B20E96D467.jpeg

The listing suggests that SEGA is preparing an updated version of the Sonic Origins package with some new content - possibly new games?

The original Sonic Origins release contained a slew of classic Mega Drive Sonic titles - Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. However, references to Sonic Spinball, Sonic 3D Flickies’ Island and Knuckles Chaotix are included in the game’s menus and museum mode. Could we see these games represented in a ‘Plus’ revision? Or perhaps a selection of 8-Bit Sonic titles to fully represent the blue blur’s 1990s roots?

When more detail comes, we’ll be sure to let you know!

Sonic News Tips Credit:
    ZinogreVolt

The Sonic Stadium may link to retailers and earn a small commission on purchases made from users who click those links. These links will only appear in articles related to the product, in an unobtrusive manner, and do not influence our editorial decisions in any way. All proceeds will go to supporting our community and continued coverage of Sonic the Hedgehog. Thank you in advance for your kind support!

Sonic Wiki Database: Related Entries

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

If they add more stuff then I expect them to do the bare minimum by adding more games with basic emulation. After what happened with Stealth/Headcannon I can't really say I'm optimistic about this, I'll pass once again.

I'm not gonna lie, I think some of you guys really should tamper your expectations until we see a trailer. For all we know it could just be a re-release with fixed versions of the games, and maybe one new game or character.

I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just being realistic here.

• Thumbs Up 2

Having all of the classic games would be nice, but imagine playing all of them back to back in one sitting. Someone will try, and that fool might be me.

I'd also be open to more characters being playable in this mode too. Not just Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DaBigJ said:

I'm not gonna lie, I think some of you guys really should tamper your expectations until we see a trailer. For all we know it could just be a re-release with fixed versions of the games, and maybe one new game or character.

I'm not trying to be a downer, I'm just being realistic here.

You know, that is actually a very, very good idea! I think we should all do that. Not only did the original Origins have its flaws (even though the Plus version has not even released yet), but who is to say we will get more than one game as you said, among other things you said?

But hey, we can still hope, right? Maybe we should control and temper those too?

• Thumbs Up 3

If we're talking hyperbolic wishes, I'd love to include at least rom versions of the games already included as an option in Classic Mode.

My impossible wish would be to have some classic-fied modern characters added to the game (specifically, Cream, Silver, Shadow and Blaze, all with their unique powers), and an "encore mode" where you can rotate between all the characters (maybe including Ray, Mighty, and Amy), and the characters elimination system replaces the lives system. Bonus points if they also add a few additional levels in the mode, and they are based on the modern games (but still classic-style versions). Music Plant, Kingdom Valley, Radical Highway and Coral Cave (one for each modern character in the game, guess what's who's level).

it will never happen, I know, but it would be very cool.

Adding some of the scrapped zone and character concept art to the gallery would be good. If Generations can do it, they can do it here. It's been well over a decade since we saw these, and more has uncovered since.

Gives us a bit more to spend those excess coins on at least!

Didn’t play the original because better games were comming out, plus it being digital only and all the issues turned me off. Glad I held off because if they do enough to address the problems and add more games to it I might pick it up finally 

• Thumbs Up 1

No matter what we get, it will be outlandishly dumb af on Sega if they don't include knuckles in Sonic CD with this.

Beyond that, I'm expecting at least some game gear games and Sonic Spinball. I think those games are likely. I'm only mentioning the game gear cause the "plus" version of mega collection just added game gear games AFAIK, so that's probably referencing that 

• Thumbs Up 1

I dare say we probably won't hear anything about this until SEGA decides to do a Sonic Central, feels like it's close to being that time of year. Wouldn't be surprised if there was something being lined up for end Feb/March.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Dreadknux said:

I dare say we probably won't hear anything about this until SEGA decides to do a Sonic Central, feels like it's close to being that time of year. Wouldn't be surprised if there was something being lined up for end Feb/March.

Yeah, I was thinking it would be announced at something like a Sonic Central, I just wish there were least a hint on how soon until it comes.

I'm expecting bug fixes, a physical release, and minor additions like all of the 'DLC' included and maybe Knuckles playable in Sonic CD. Nothing more than that.

I'm just gonna be full-on greedy here and say I want ALL the classic Sonic games. Spinball, Mean Bean, 3D Blast, R, all the Game Gear games...throw 'em all in there. It's absolutely doable.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

I'm just gonna be full-on greedy here and say I want ALL the classic Sonic games. Spinball, Mean Bean, 3D Blast, R, all the Game Gear games...throw 'em all in there. It's absolutely doable.

Not sure if it would be included, but I would love to see Sonic R in Sonic Origins Plus as a playable game!

12 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

We have the technology... but do we have the Capitalism?

• Thumbs Up 1

Having now played the game gear games in-depth I can honestly say I'm amazed anyone wants any of them. Chaos and Triple Trouble can be okay. The other platformers, the two kart racers and the 8-bit versions of Mean Bean and Spinball are crap. Chaotix, R, SegaSonic and Fighters are what I want the most. A version of 3D Blast that's even-more-remastered than the director's cut wouldn't hurt, either.

They're not gonna do that, though. My gut tells me Chaotix is going to be the one if only one is added (and I know whatever Mania team members are left will be pushing for that one the most) but I think it's more along the lines of a new character or two, and an encore mode-equivalent.

• Thumbs Up 1

This might be unlikely, but if they add new playable games and make them part of the Story Mode along with the pre-existing games, how would you all like it if more animated cutscenes were added to Story Mode for those games?

SEGA barely acknowledges Chaotix's existence as is, why do y'all think they'll add it over 3D Blast and Spinball? (which have their respective islands in game already btw)

Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon

Posted

2 minutes ago, ShinyGems said:

This might be unlikely, but if they add new playable games and make them part of the Story Mode along with the pre-existing games, how would you all like it if more animated cutscenes were added to Story Mode for those games?

I suppose that would be nice if they go to those lengths.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I suppose that would be nice if they go to those lengths.

Yeah, it would.

I still think it is unlikely though, and now that you said “lengths”, I am even more doubtful given how much work would be needed.

11 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

Having now played the game gear games in-depth I can honestly say I'm amazed anyone wants any of them. Chaos and Triple Trouble can be okay. The other platformers, the two kart racers and the 8-bit versions of Mean Bean and Spinball are crap.

I love pretty much all the Game Gear platformers except for Blast, so...yep, bring 'em on, I say.

• Thumbs Up 1