Awoo.
  • Spin Dash Coming to Sonic Frontiers? [UPDATE: Kishimoto Confirms It Is]

Stop, Crouch and Roll.

It seems that Sonic's tried-and-true spin dash may be coming soon to Sonic Frontiers.

UPDATE 2023/04/09:
    In a reply tweet, Kishimoto confirmed that the Spin Dash is being worked on, aiming to be included in the second major update.

According to a rough machine translation, the trademark move was intended for the first update, but was held for additional polish.

ORIGINAL STORY:
    According to Sonic Frontiers Facts+ via Twitter, a line of code in the latest update shows that holding the rightmost face button (which we would assume to mean the 'Crouch' button) along with the L Trigger will cause a spin dash on the ground while holding the L Trigger in the sky will have Sonic coming down with a spin dash as well.

2023SonicCode.png

This doesn't appear to work currently, and may only be there for future characters. We'll probably know more when the second update launches.

The Sonic Stadium may link to retailers and earn a small commission on purchases made from users who click those links. These links will only appear in articles related to the product, in an unobtrusive manner, and do not influence our editorial decisions in any way. All proceeds will go to supporting our community and continued coverage of Sonic the Hedgehog. Thank you in advance for your kind support!

Sonic Wiki Database: Related Entries

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I kind of hope it's for characters other than Sonic, because tbh there's not much point for it to be usable as Sonic.

Drop dashing and boosting are quicker to use and can be spammed to hell and back

• Thumbs Up 1
    • Nice Smile 1

I don't really have much hope for a modern day Chao Garden but then again I never liked it much to begin with, so it's better if I just bite my tongue and wait n' see.

Better late than never, I suppose. I'm sure it'll come in handy for making the 2D Cyberspace levels feel better, but I'm more interested in how physics will be overhauled to accommodate.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

Better late than never, I suppose. I'm sure it'll come in handy for making the 2D Cyberspace levels feel better, but I'm more interested in how physics will be overhauled to accommodate.

You really think they'll overhaul the physics for the Spin Dash?

Anyway, I can't see the Spin Dash being used in some places, like the Boost can. For instance, there are the rails, but for that particular matter, I can think of two ways to include the Spin Dash to work on rails.

One, when grinding rails, pressing the Spin Dash button would cause Sonic to stop to Spin Dash, and letting go will cause him to dash along the rails, like how you can Spin Dash on walls when doing Parkour in Sonic Lost World.

Two, I can imagine pressing the Spin Dash while on rails would cause Sonic to roll to gain momentum, similar to how Classic Sonic rolls on rails in Sonic Generations.

Speaking of Sonic: Lost World, I can imagine the worst case scenario for the Spin Dash coming back would be for the Spin Dash to work like it did in Sonic: Lost World, but I do not think that will be the case.

I would also like to see Sonic use the Spin Dash on the blue-greenish walls he can wall run along or up in Sonic Frontiers. I think that would be rather fun, if the Spin Dash doesn't often send you off those walls themselves.

I don't see how the function of the spin dash would differ that much from the drop dash, but the more they merrier, it seems.

14 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

I don't really have much hope for a modern day Chao Garden but then again I never liked it much to begin with, so it's better if I just bite my tongue and wait n' see.

It would be literally easier to have - in Frontiers updates, that is, not in the future - Chao skins for the Kocos... I mean, it would be kind of lame but why not, they turned them into easter eggs after all.

6 hours ago, Quastralian said:

I don't see how the function of the spin dash would differ that much from the drop dash

Me when I played Sonic Mania and Sonic Origins

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Quastralian said:

I don't see how the function of the spin dash would differ that much from the drop dash, but the more they merrier, it seems.

I would assume, based off of the code implying that it uses the boost meter, that the spindash proper would be significantly faster than the drop-dash, but require time to charge and boost energy to maintain.

I think the absolute minimum and worst case scenario is the spin dash will function and react to terrain identically to how the drop dash does currently, the only difference between them being how each is activated.

I'm hoping there's something slightly more to it than that and if they're bothering to go to the trouble of adding it then hopefully they do have something in mind for it.

At the very least they need to firmly establish the benefit of spin dashing VS boosting. Ideally spin/drop dashing should raise the skill ceiling for traversal by allowing you to reach much higher speeds than boosting alone, if used correctly, and offer more freedom to take advantage of the environment around you.

We really need a way to be able to carry our speed from rolling. Currently you can drop dash down hills and pick up some great speed but you can't uncurl so you either need to jump, which kills your speed, or wait for Sonic to eventually uncurl himself and then begin boosting, neither of which are particularly natural or fun.

• Thumbs Up 3

i really hope that more themes get added to the jukebox.

i  like the ones in the game, but i really wish there were more genesis tracks like spring yard and aquatic ruin.

i also want the progression of the charecters to  be earned. not just gotten in the story.

it would make the updates feel more rewarding, like the jukebox is