Awoo.
  • Want to see Knuckles on Little Planet? Sonic Official Shows Off Origin Plus Gameplay

Amy can wait, it's Red's time to shine.

Sonic Official, the (aptly named) official English Sonic content livestream produced by SEGA, aired a few levels of Sonic Origins Plus this week, showing off some minor menu updates and Knuckles in Sonic CD (keeping a lid on Amy footage for a future stream). The footage has kindly been timestamped by our tipster below, but if you need to navigate manually, it starts at the 40-minute mark. Just be aware, there were some odd... technical difficulties.

It's hard to ignore that the game on the stream was running bizarrely slow, which viewers have debated if it's a consequence of unusually high performance demands, CPU prioritization, or Denuvo copy protection (criticisms that a number of PC players have cited since the game's launch). Performance aside, Amy now appears in the Sonic CD menu diorama, and the hosts show off a new level path added to Collision Chaos that Knuckles' climbing and gliding allow him to access.

Though Knuckles never appeared in the 2011 remake of Sonic CD that the Origins version is based on, his absence in Origins' CD felt a bit incongruent since the other games, the 2012 remakes of Sonic 1 & 2 and the new Sonic 3 & Knuckles remake, do include him as playable. Origins Plus marks the first time Knuckles is officially playable in Sonic CD.

However the important question remains: can we recreate the end of Sonic Mania Adventures? I suppose we'll find out later this month.

Sonic News Tips Credit:
    Sonictrainer

Sonic Wiki Database: Related Entries

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

GX -The Spindash-

Posted

I wasn't sure how to take the performance there. My personal guess is that, if the game runs fine or poorly on your PC now, expect that to continue with the update.

But considering how low-tech the Sonic Official setup seems to be, I'm left wondering what exactly they tried to run it on AND if they're attempting to game and stream on the same machine.

Come on, SEGA, at least get these kids some decent cameras and a real green screen!

Probably a very minor footnote compared to Knuckles in CD, but I think this is pretty noteworthy!

Screenshots are very blurred due to the stream's video quality, but it appears to be similar or identical to the model used for merchandise. If Amy's gonna get a new model, there's a chance that Knuckles might also get one on Angel Island.

How does this make you feel?

• Thumbs Up 2

It makes the island menus feels like a little bit less of a shameless Generations asset flip to see Amy's model included, and I hope that Knuckles is too. But they're still pretty bottom of the barrel, ngl

14 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

It makes the island menus feels like a little bit less of a shameless Generations asset flip to see Amy's model included, and I hope that Knuckles is too. But they're still pretty bottom of the barrel, ngl

To be honest, at this point bottom of the barrel is what I want because if they're not even gonna be arsed to change the menus, then I'm not gonna expect anything beyond bare minimum.

I have never owned a game where the system requirements refer to the MENUS rather than the actual content.

Running a set of 2D platformer remakes on Intel integrated graphics shouldn't be a tall order but Sega found a way. I had to downscale my Windows tablet by 50% from native (from 1920x1200 to 1280x800) so the menus at least wouldn't kill the performance of the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

GX -The Spindash-

Posted

7 minutes ago, SolidSurgeTT said:

I have never owned a game where the system requirements refer to the MENUS rather than the actual content.

Steam Genesis/Mega Drive Collection runs into this too, because that apparently needed a low-overhead version launcher as part of it. I think that recent Unity-based Pac-Man Museum Plus had some weirdness around that too, and Atari 50 (which is more interactive museum exhibit than game collection) is no slouch either.

The priority here seems to be "We have all this extra overhead on consoles, let's make a fancy launcher." It isn't a completely unjustifiable stance considering that they make games with console as priority, but it's not a fun time for those who rely on scalability.

Is It me or Is the gameplay running slow with Knuckles? I'm looking forward to playing as Knuckles In Sonic CD from Sonic Origins Plus. Knuckles Is my all time favourite character In the 90's Sonic game when he debut In Sonic & Knuckles on the Sega Mega Drive.

The game looks like it's running at almost half speed. Pretty embarrassing to show, if you ask me.. I had some slight hope that there would be performance enhancements and bug fixes with the update. Considering the performance is still awful on PC (partially due to Denuvo, of course), it makes me feel like they won't have done anything to better the game. I would not be surprised at this point if some bugs still exist and continues to have issues on Switch. There is no reason Genesis remakes should run poorly especially on the Retro Engine, which is known to be pretty lightweight and efficient (as seen in Mania).

Whatever the WhoCares

Posted

I’m still eagerly awaiting confirmation as to whether the bilinear filtering has been addressed. I know I can just disable it with mods, but I’d like to pick up a physical console version 

They won't address it or fix it. It's an intentional side effect of using the Hedgehog Engine 2 as a frontend. Expect it to be exactly the same, visually and performance-wise.

• Unamused 1