Awoo.
  • First4Figures Announces Modern Tails Resin Statue

Pre-orders open March 14.

Model maker First4Figures has revealed that it will be producing a brand new Tails statue from the Sonic the Hedgehog series. The figure will be made of resin, feature a Modern Tails design with a Miles Electric-themed base, and will go live for pre-orders on March 14.

2023-tails-resin2.jpeg

Unveiled via teaser videos and social images on the company's Twitter channel, F4F is also announcing a special promotion on the upcoming product. Any customer who has already ordered a Sonic product directly from the company will be eligible for a $35 voucher off the price of the Tails statue (although there is currently no price on this new model... we're bracing our wallets...).

Pre-orders will go live for a month, starting March 14 and ending April 14. You can head to their website for more details.

Sonic News Tips Credit:
    Red

The Sonic Stadium may link to retailers and earn a small commission on purchases made from users who click those links. These links will only appear in articles related to the product, in an unobtrusive manner, and do not influence our editorial decisions in any way. All proceeds will go to supporting our community and continued coverage of Sonic the Hedgehog. Thank you in advance for your kind support!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Hey thanks for posting this! The statue is looking great so far! I’m always so scared of F4F’s prices but they’re always so well made!

That looks amazing. This may be the first figure I actually get!

How much do those thing actually go for though?

We finally get the full statue! Picture from Tails Channel. The base is the Miles Electric. I'll be honest and say the base kind of kills it for me though. It's so ugly. 

To answer your question @MGA_Gamer, these statues to for hundreds of dollars. You'd be looking at about $500 USD or more for just one.

20230309_022806.thumb.jpg.dbbc781dbd01bd91e77cedfbeb8e9450.jpg

So roughly £400 for me? Yesh! that's quite an investment...

...Still really want one though!

The statue is an outright clunker in terms of concept and design. I don't say this often (and those who have known me in the past will know how much of a F4F apologist I've been in the past), but I outright hate this for so many reasons.

First: Miles Electric for the base? This is an incredibly strange and IMO nonsensical decision. I just have to wonder what point in the design process you decide that what your statue needs is a prop distorted into a base instead an actual character-relevant stage/locale. Speed Highway? One of Tails' most defining modern-era character moments. Why not that?

It completely throws out the idea that these statues are meant to be showing off these characters in their prime, and (IMO much like Amy) screams that they simply had no ideas, or a serious lack of series knowledge. Combine that with the action-oriented pose and you have what amounts to an incredibly weird clash that overall makes the statue feel like nonsense the more you look at it.

Second: Those nodules coming out the side are infuriatingly impractical in terms of real-world display of the piece. They inflate the overall space needed to display what should otherwise be a somewhat smaller character, meaning that if you're limited on space that displaying it front-forward is going to be difficult. The fact that they light up almost to me sounds like a strange way to justify whatever the price tag is.

Third: I'll need to see more pictures to know for sure, but I'm pretty certain his tails are very much not in the correct scale. They look too small to me. Probably shrunken down so that they can be suspended in the air without much weight, but that just sounds like they made the wrong compromise - opting to cut down the character instead of something else.

Easy hard pass for me. I really don't know what's happened or changed internally at F4F for all the stupid stuff they've come up with in recent years.

Hmm. I like the pose and think they've captured Tails' personality really well. His face looks great. But I'm inclined to agree with @JonoDon this. The base is ugly, impractical and nonsense. So many cool levels could have been picked, the they decided to choose his gadget instead. I'd have picked an actual environment, like his workshop or Windy Valley. Even something like Tropical Resort could have looked really, really cool. Using the Miles Electric seems like an excuse to get base lights in the EX version.

There have been a few other annoying choices that made me back off their Sonic lines recently. So many variants of that Shadow statue that came in both regular Super Shadow versions, Amy with a tiered base based on a level she's never visited and now Tails looking kinda tacky. I don't hate it, but I am disappointed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome statue, not-so-awesome base. I'd prefer just a cloud base or something like that.

I'd even take a simple green-hill looking base over the one they chose.

On 3/9/2023 at 10:40 PM, Blue Blood said:

Hmm. I like the pose and think they've captured Tails' personality really well. His face looks great. But I'm inclined to agree with @JonoDon this. The base is ugly, impractical and nonsense. So many cool levels could have been picked, the they decided to choose his gadget instead. I'd have picked an actual environment, like his workshop or Windy Valley. Even something like Tropical Resort could have looked really, really cool. Using the Miles Electric seems like an excuse to get base lights in the EX version.

There have been a few other annoying choices that made me back off their Sonic lines recently. So many variants of that Shadow statue that came in both regular Super Shadow versions, Amy with a tiered base based on a level she's never visited and now Tails looking kinda tacky. I don't hate it, but I am disappointed. 

Wholeheartedly agree with the Shadow part. Shadow is my favourite character and I LOVED the Super Shadow statue they put out. But they also released a regular Shadow alongside it as well as several variants between the two forms. I spent so much time deciding what one I liked best that in the end I opted not to buy any. There were too many choices.

I wouldn't be surprised if F4F are pumping out as many Sonic statues as they can so they can retire the line soon.

• Fist Bump 1

@Red That's the exact reason I opted not to buy it either. I'd just started a new job at the time and thought I might treat myself to the statue. But I couldn't chose just one and the FOMO was getting so bad that I ended up deciding that I'd be better off just not nothing at all. It's a shame because they all looked so good, but it was a lot of the same thing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The definitive version of the statue is... Wisps.

• Regular: Tails
    • Exc: Tails with spanner and light up nodule things
    • Definitive: Wisps

My same criticism for Amy applies here. The more "exclusive" the statue gets, the less Tails it gets.

All the best to folks picking this one up, but I think that's confirmation for me that this line is categorically not for me anymore.

FB_IMG_1678661264463.jpg

@JonoDWhen did F4F even start making 3 versions of every statue now? Are they really that stupid to think their fans are that loaded to buy 3 of every statue? This company's gone down the shitter

12 hours ago, Red said:

@JonoDWhen did F4F even start making 3 versions of every statue now? Are they really that stupid to think their fans are that loaded to buy 3 of every statue? This company's gone down the shitter

This has been happening a number of years now with F4F. I can't quite pinpoint exactly where the practice started (maybe with their original Spyro back in 2017 where they debuted the idea of a "definitive" edition) but it seemed a lot more sensible back then. The premise was that you basically got the Exclusive statue, but then got a bunch of smaller goodies you could display alongside (A box of the gems and a backdrop in Spyro's case). If not Spyro, then I know that their Solid Snake statue was definitely an early culprit with a total of 7 different variants you could buy (Regular, Exclusive, Stealth Camo Clear, Stealth Camo Neon Green, Combo Clear, Combo Neon Green and Essential (which included all 3))

A little while after that they started doing the variants, and when they started combining those is when things ended up getting properly silly.

The Bayonetta guns for example. There are 4 guns she uses (so that's 4 variants immediately), then there was an exclusive version for each variant (taking it up to 8 different options) then finally a version combining everything.

That's 9 different purchase options. For essentially the same product.