Awoo.
  • SEGA Interested in Making More Movie Adaptations of its IP

The huge success of the Sonic movie series leads the way.

SEGA executives have expressed an interest in adapting other company IPs and brands into big-screen movies, following the success of the Sonic the Hedgehog Paramount films.

VGC reports that, during an investor Q&A that has just been translated into English, SEGA Sammy CEO Haruki Satomi and CFO Koichi Fukazawa were asked about the possibility of making non-Sonic movies to "improve their brand power".

In response, the company said, "We would like to take on challenges outside of the Sonic IP should the opportunity arise.

"If we can match the timing of game launches to the release of movies, it would be extremely effective from a marketing perspective and there are also significant benefits, such as increasing awareness of our IP and increasing the number of touch points for customers, as we achieved with the Sonic movie."

It's no wonder that SEGA is keen to explore this. Sonic the Hedgehog was produced by Paramount Pictures, released in 2020 and grossed around $320 million at the box office - while its sequel premiered last year and generated over $400 million. As a result, a third movie is planned for release in December 2024 and a Knuckles TV show is in production for streaming service Paramount Plus.

Back in August, SEGA even announced that it was exploring movie adaptations of Space Channel 5 and Comix Zone in partnership with Picture Start. So there could yet be more to come on that front.

Sonic News Tips Credit:
    sonicclaasic

The Sonic Stadium may link to retailers and earn a small commission on purchases made from users who click those links. These links will only appear in articles related to the product, in an unobtrusive manner, and do not influence our editorial decisions in any way. All proceeds will go to supporting our community and continued coverage of Sonic the Hedgehog. Thank you in advance for your kind support!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Frankly? I don't care.

1) Sega neglected their Genesis IPs. Streets of Rage, Ristar, or Golden Axe are niche and won't bring 1/10 of Sonic's attention. Saturn and Dreamcasts titles might be in an even worse position.

2) That leaves the newest IPs. Bayonetta, Yakuza, Persona. And frankly, I don't think any of them NEEDS adaptation. They were born in HD era and told their stories as they wanted, often through gameplay. Maybe Live Action Bayo could work (get easier to-follow story) but how would they adapt action scenes?

You could ask if I want something, even if logically it won't make money. Night Intro Dreams BUUUUUT must have a whimsical, mystical style. No Disney/Pixar/Illumination, definitely not live action. I'm talking Ghibli movies, or Cartoon Saloon, maaaybe Laika

• Thumbs Up 2

House of the Dead, but go with the Overkill Grindhouse vibe. Perhaps if they want to have a 15 or 18 certificate. 

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Frankly? I don't care.

1) Sega neglected their Genesis IPs. Streets of Rage, Ristar, or Golden Axe are niche and won't bring 1/10 of Sonic's attention. Saturn and Dreamcasts  titles might be in an even worse position.

2) That leaves the newest IPs. Bayonetta, Yakuza, Persona. And frankly, I don't think any of them NEEDS adaptation. They were born in HD era and told their stories as they wanted, often through gameplay. Maybe Live Action Bayo could work (get easier to-follow story) but the budget for action scenes would be astronomical.

You made some great points here I agreed what you said here as well and I respect your opinion.

Wasn't there talk about Space Channel 5 and another franchise that I can't remember getting a movie?

If this means also crossovers, even though this has nothing to do with SEGA games, I also wanted to mention I would like if Sonic had a crossover with Transformers in movies maybe, since both are under Paramount and I'm currently binging Transformers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, if they can use some of their IP (for instance the Genesis one, Yakuza, other ones, etc) to create an excuse to more action movies outside of the Super Hero genre, I would be happy about it. Many of the SEGA old IP are inspired by movies, so a lot of them would be quite easy and interesting to adapt in movies.

Now I agree that none of their IP are as strong as Sonic, so it's not something that'll bring a lot of money, for it to work they should bring back the IP first if it's a "forgotten one", and even with that it wouldn't do as much as Sonic. But many could have interesting stuff to be done with them.

NIGHTS could work....Neil Gaiman's The Sandman on Netflix was superb. Cgi etc is there to do it justice. Be keen to see that tbh

Honestly I’d be down to see any of the IPs come back as a movie, movies are a great medium to bring older things back into popularity!