Awoo.
  • SEGA Will Not Have a Booth at E3 2023

If an E3 happens and no one's there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Following several other major publishers, IGN is reporting that SEGA too will not be exhibiting at E3 this year.

It has been a trying year for the ESA and partner ReedPop as the two attempt to revitalize E3 following several years of cancelled and online-only shows. With this announcement, all three console platform holders, as well as Ubisoft and Tencent, have bowed out of the expo. With so few companies willing or able to commit to the event, it’s unclear if the show has a present, much less a future.

While SEGA may not be at E3, there is still the possibility for other announcements this Summer. Both SEGA and Atlus have previously been a part of Summer Games Fest, and there are already a number of known SEGA and Atlus projects looking to launch this year and beyond: Hyenas, Endless Dungeon, Samba de Amigo, and Like a Dragon Gaiden (plus multiple updates to existing Sonic games).

The Sonic Stadium may link to retailers and earn a small commission on purchases made from users who click those links. These links will only appear in articles related to the product, in an unobtrusive manner, and do not influence our editorial decisions in any way. All proceeds will go to supporting our community and continued coverage of Sonic the Hedgehog. Thank you in advance for your kind support!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Attending E3 is like an unfulfilled childhood dream for me, but at this point I'm not sure it's worth it lol

I would still like to go if there's still a good amount of devs attending, in particular indie ones. Haven't really looked into that though.

At this point we'll be able to fit everyone who actually is going to E3 on a single sticky note.

Creating a demo is a huge toll on development cycle. I suppose we're at the point where publishers don't consider it a good enough return on investment (IMO it never was). Couple that with how Nintendo demonstrated that marketing on your own schedule can be comparable (or maybe better), and how physical event are getting less popular, and the non-participation can appear clear.