Awoo.
  • Sonic Spinball's 30th Anniversary Highlighted in New Sonic Channel Artwork

It ain't easy rowing in green.

Did you know that spinoff Mega Drive title Sonic Spinball is going to be 30 years old this November? Well you probably did actually, because you're a huge Sonic fan just like us. It seems that Sonic Team in Japan has remembered this fact, as they are focusing on an iconic scene in the pinball action game for its latest art piece.

Posted on the official Japanese Sonic Channel Twitter account, the new artwork features the blue blur chilling out in a handy drum barrel as he paddles his way through the game's first stage, Toxic Caves. He seems rather embarrassed to be there - probably because whoever is controlling him can't keep him on the pinball table. Still, it beats swimming in all that green gunge, doesn't it Sonic?

2023-spinball30th-channelart.jpeg

Weirdly, the Twitter post accompanying this art piece mentions that this is a "commemorative illustration of "Sonic Spinball" celebrating its 30th anniversary this month" (via machine translation - emphasis ours). Sonic Spinball's original release date in the West was actually November 1993, and in Japan it was the following month in December - so unless Sonic's been using some leftover Time Stones that we're not aware of, Sonic Channel might be getting a bit excited ahead of time here.

Still, it's really nice to see some Spinball representation from the Japanese 'Team, and we're all here for it.

Sonic News Tips Credit:
    Sonictrainer

The Sonic Stadium may link to retailers and earn a small commission on purchases made from users who click those links. These links will only appear in articles related to the product, in an unobtrusive manner, and do not influence our editorial decisions in any way. All proceeds will go to supporting our community and continued coverage of Sonic the Hedgehog. Thank you in advance for your kind support!

Sonic Wiki Database: Related Entries

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

If there's one thing to make life worth living, it's the monthly Sonic Channel art.

Always love how of all the spinoff Sonic games, spinball seems to be one that constantly gets callbacks (Toxic Caves being in Generations music list, its ost chosen for Origins). Not complaining at all, I just like seeing Sega reference a pinball spinoff game of all things so much.

I appreciate this. I liked Spinball. Something about the feel of it, not from a gameplay side, necessarily, but atmosphere. Maybe the sounds, maybe the art style. Can't explain it.

32 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

30 years of the greatest game ever made

Naw, Pong is over 50 at this point.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bit weird they say the game celebrates the 30th Anniversary "this month" - the game came out in November 1993 in the West, and December 1993 in Japan. But I don't mind. Any excuse for a good Spinball reference! Toxic Caves!

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Bit weird they say the game celebrates the 30th Anniversary "this month" - the game came out in November 1993 in the West, and December 1993 in Japan. But I don't mind. Any excuse for a good Spinball reference! Toxic Caves!

The crazy theorist within me wants to think there's a specific reason for it.

Involving a possible upgrade to a certain a collection.

But the realism within me just assumes they're doing it now to not forget

12 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

The crazy theorist within me wants to think there's a specific reason for it.

Involving a possible upgrade to a certain a collection.

But the realism within me just assumes they're doing it now to not forget

I don't think it's terribly unlikely. We know they got the Plus version coming, Mount Mobius already appears on the menu screen, and I think it's *relatively* popular for a spinoff (I just think, I don't have sale numbers)

It'd be lower on the list than like... Knuckles Chaotix. But possible.

Edit: Whether this is a sign, though? Ehh. Hesitant to jump at it.