Awoo.
  • Sonic 2 and Jim Carrey Nominated for Nickelodeon's 2023 Kids' Choice Awards

Is it easier or harder to slime a CG character?

Nickelodeon's oddball kid-focused award show returns this year with Paramount's Sonic the Hedgehog 2 up for vote in two separate categories. The movie itself has been nominated for "Favorite Movie," while Jim Carrey's performance as Dr. Robotnik has him nominated for "Favorite Movie Actor."

2023-nick-awards1.png

2023-nick-awards2.png

This is a striking parallel to 2021, when the original Sonic the Hedgehog film and Jim Carrey's Dr. Robotnik were nominated for the same two categories, but were beaten by Wonder Woman 1984 and Robert Downey Jr. in Dolittle.

The 2023 Kids' Choice Awards airs on March 4 at 7 PM ET, and will be hosted by football commentator Nate Burleson and social media personality Charli D'Amelio. Unlike more traditional award shows, The Kids' Choice Awards is determined through public vote online and via Nickelodeon's mobile app, and features a more eclectic range of nominees across movies, TV, streaming, music, sports, YouTubers, games, and the like.

It's worth keeping in mind that Nickelodeon itself is a Paramount subsidiary, and the network advertised the movie through its many TV and online tendrils (including that truly bizarre NFL takeover last year). Of all award shows, this is perhaps the most grain-of-salt for many reasons, so, you know, let's not take it too seriously. Heck, Fairly OddParents: Fairly Odder, a show that Nick.com and Paramount+ delisted last week, is nominated for three categories.

Sonic News Tips Credit:
    Shiny Gems

The Sonic Stadium may link to retailers and earn a small commission on purchases made from users who click those links. These links will only appear in articles related to the product, in an unobtrusive manner, and do not influence our editorial decisions in any way. All proceeds will go to supporting our community and continued coverage of Sonic the Hedgehog. Thank you in advance for your kind support!

Sonic Wiki Database: Related Entries

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

oh man i hope people on twitter don't use this as another example of "sonic fans eating good" as if that means anything

Cynicism aside I'm glad Sonic 2's getting some recognition for it's quality. While I don't think it's that good (tbh it's more so okay), I can't deny that it's a step up from Sonic 1 in a lot of ways.

Holy shit, this huge. This isn't some podunk nothing award like the Oscars, this is an actual prestigious awards ceremony 😳🤯

• Thumbs Up 3

I've seen the full nominations list while writing up an article for the site, and there are some pretty warped choices across the board.

But I'm saying this as an adult for whom the "Favorite celebrity pet" category holds no meaning, and struggles to see how you can at any level nominate the "Harry Potter" book series for an award in 2023, even if you set aside the controversies.

I'm also just someone who believes Nickelodeon peaked when they superimposed a massive CG football golem in AT&T Stadium last year.

Football-Slime-Kaiju.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

One day Nickelodeon will acquire the broadcasting rights to NASCAR or Formula One (Even if its just a simulcast with CBS sports/Paramount+).