Home Country: Australia
1. Have you ever been to the United States?
1a. If so why (business, vacation, study abroad program, visiting relatives, etc.)?
1b. How long were you there (If you have been to the US more than once please list the longest period you were there)?
1c. Which state(s) did you visit?
1d. How would you describe your experience? Was it positive or negative? Did anything stick out as being good, bad, unusual, or unexpected?
2. Do you have any relatives living in the United States?
3. What is the general attitude towards the United States where you live?
Some like it, others don’t. Mixed.
3a. What are your personal feelings towards the United States?
Personally I am Ok with the US. A country that is alike to my own.
4. What stereotypes of Americans are commonly found in your home country?
5. It’s commonly said in the United States that America has no culture of its own but is instead a mish-mash of various other cultures. What is your opinion of this statement? Is there anything that you would consider unique to American culture?
I find the love and seen importance of guns as a part of American culture (although not all accept this practice of course).
6. How familiar are you with the American political system? Are you aware of concepts such as the branches of government, the Bill of Rights, and the federal system?
7. As you have probably already heard the United States is currently in the middle of a presidential election. Have you been following the election at all?
I did not really follow the election but did look if I’d happen to come across related things on social media or told by friends. I did take interest on the final day however.
7a. If so what is your opinion of Donald Trump?
I do not think he is fit to be president. He has the ability to ruin the country and its connections (relationships) to other countries.
7b. What is your opinion of Hillary Clinton?
I do not know much, other than she hasn’t had the best history. But has the experience.
7c. If you could vote in the election do you have any idea which one you would cast your vote for? Would you vote for a third party? Abstain from the election altogether?
I would probably vote for Hilary. She at least seems better than Trump and no one else appears to have a chance.
8. America has two major political parties, the Democrats and the Republicans, how familiar are you with these parties and their ideologies?
Not that familiar.
9. The United States has earned itself the nickname of “the world’s policeman” due to its habit of getting involved in other countries’ affairs. Do you think America should continue to intervene in foreign conflicts, or should it let other nations solve their problems themselves?
Only go in if the situation in some way involves them, or invited in. There are some situations that should be solved by themselves.
10. Do you think that there is anything America could learn from your country’s culture or political system? Is there anything that you think your country could learn from America’s culture or political system?
Can’t think of any.