I'm all for these kinds of events, they're fun! And I seem to be doing this at the last few days because life has kept me occupied so that's nice.
1. 2017 marks I think 10 years I've been a fan of this blue pincushion, I've been in love with this series for almost half of my life. That's pretty crazy to think actually.
2. I still have yet to see someone who can say this but Rivals 2 was my first Sonic game. It was definitely interesting to see all these characters introduced to me for the first time but I enjoyed their personalities and yep, still do.
3. That opening from Unleashed was definitely the kicker to really look forward to future games, it still is the most amazing opening of a Sonic game I have ever seen.
4. Too many to count, from the 23 physical copies I can count on my room (24 if you count Sm4sh) and probably an extra 10-20 of the various digital copies I have on my phone, PSN and Steam. So yeah a lot of Sonic, pity me.
5. I like both equally, I don't have a strong preference. I like Classic for its solid mix of speed and platforming with plenty of personality and life and Modern is great because of its Modern presentation and overall just being a more cinematic and more engaging take on the series.
6. Sonic duh because he's an easy to understand character but has plenty of personality, it's definitely interesting to see how various media interprets him from the spunky teenager of the Adventure era to the more casual and laidback Boom Sonic to the chill and dorky but always adventurous Modern interpretation. It's just fun to see Sonic being Sonic.
7. Postreboot Archie is personal favorite, it makes the games canon more concise while still having some room to do its own thing. Bless Flynn and the Archie Sonic team for pulling it off and it's disheartening to hear that it might be over.
8. When Sonic was talking to Merlina about living life to the fullest, Black Knight isn't a strong favorite of mine from a gameplay perspective but that message really defined a lot of things I do actually. I try my best to make every day count and that kind of thing, so yeah I can thank Black Knight for that atleast.
9. Favorite story? Hmmm, if we're talking about Archie? Champions easily, that was just a very fun adaptation of Sonic the Fighters with amazing art by Diana Skelly. That's my favorite arc in Archie. In the games? Uhh, that's a bit hard; I can't say with full confidence any story in Sonic was truly great, they all have some flaws. But if I had to choose, it would be Adventure 2 because it's engaging to see how intense the story keeps going, a lot of stuff goes on; it really feels like an epic B movie so yeah, Adventure 2 had a fun story.
10. BOOM BAYBEE! It's funny, witty and entertaining. It really sucks that it's only on Boomerang but it's nice to see fans of the show do their best to keep the show running strong and the crew behind the show are really funny guys. I have nothing but good things to say about Boom! Really hoping for a Season 3!
11. I'm going to go for a unlikely favorite but that one short cutscene in Lost World where Sonic realizes he really screwed things up, it was short, quiet and very somber. A pretty powerful scene and one of the reasons why I really like Lost World's story.
12. 3&K for 2D because it's just the best, a solid mix of platforming and speed, huge levels and a interesting presentation for a simple story. 3D is Unleashed BAYBEE, definitely the biggest Sonic game I've played, so much content and charm has been put into that game and I just love it to pieces!
13. Favorite vocal track? Endless Possibility because yes, Unleashed but it's just a very uplifting song to listen to. I can always listen to it to get my positive vibes going. Non vocal? Uhhh, damn that's hard. But if I have to choose a track right now, it would be Strange Parade from Runners. Just such a good track from that game, also puts me in a good mood as well. Sonic just has good music ok.
14 .Favorite move? Hardcore Parkour with my boi Sonic in Lost World, just doing being able to run any surface is such a really fun idea and if done really well, could really help give Sonic that unique gameplay edge that he needs to stand out!
15. Favorite soundtrack? Lost World because I don't think it gets enough appreciation, Ohtani nearly composed every level and boss track himself except Sugar Lane and it's impressive how he managed to make every track sound unique. It really is the most diverse soundtrack in Sonic if you ask me.
That image of Boom is just filled with a lot of personality. You can really tell what their personalities are like based on that image alone, I just love it! I LOVE BOOM OMG!
17. The current cast is my favorite. Roger brought a performance of Sonic that I can really get into that Ryan and Jason couldn't really do for me, Colleen brought a very fun performance of a more snarky but still nice Tails, Travis is just a more fun Dan Green, Cindy from Boom onwards really did it for me to sell her performance, Mike is always great and Kirk as Shadow, I just love and I can't get enough of!
18. Favorite headcanon?
Eh, I don't really do headcanons all that much. But I always strongly believe that Generations is not canon and that after Colors, Lost World happened. Really holding out for Forces to prove me right.
19. Favorite level theme?
Greenhills Jokes aside, I was more enticed and interested in the more bizarre worlds levels take place in. Levels like Music Plant, Sweet Mountain, DeSsert Ruins are such examples. It really is interesting to see how Sonic Team implements a theme and just go nuts with it.
20. Favorite level?
Yikes, so many levels to choose from. You're just being mean here, wow ok let's see.
A level I can always get into without much complaints is frankly the OG Rooftop Run from Unleashed. It's one of the more lengthy Boost stages but it's no Jungle Joyride. The level itself is just really good, Ohtani's music, the European inspired setting and level design that reminds me of the best parts of the Rush series. Rooftop Run is always a fun stage to go through.
21. Most memorable year?
Well considering I really got into the hype of Sonic when Gens' teaser was first shown on the official Facebook page back at 2011. When I say it, I was like "Cool! The Sonic I know now and the Sonic I played in the older games are going to be in one game, that's cool!", just a casual response. But if I want to know what really stood to me for Sonic, it's a tie between 2014's Boom reveal and the party from last year.
I'm Boom trash, no doubt about it. Love me some Boom so when I first saw the reveal of the new designs while I was in a computer engineering class, I was really excited. I showed the new looks for Sonic and Knuckles to my teacher, who also played some Sonic at her days and I saw the strange look in her face, I think it's because of Knuckles but hey, watcha gonna do I guess. I was all for it. Tis a shame Rise of Lyric really bogged the entire series down.
And the party, oh boy the party. I remember telling my parents I had to see the stream of the party before I went to helped them out on their work. So I had to pull an allnighter for that faithful July 22nd and it was pretty fun. Yes, we can mock the technical issues for days, everyone has, even Mike does it as a running gag. But really, seeing Mania and Forces get revealed for the first time, seeing Crush 40 perform, neat stuff like LEGO Sonic, Classic in Dash or the Sonic/Sanrio merch crossover. Those were all great! And yes, we can not forget the legendary moment of the Totino's Pope, Skyler, meming it up for all of us to enjoy! Bless that guy, really!
22. My top favorite thing about Sonic?
Just how complex and fascinating it is. Sonic is a very messy series, no doubt. So messy that we're up to the point where we probably do need 3 different brands of Sonic to get some actual consistency in this series for once. But that's make so interesting to really dig into and figure out how things work and stuff, Sonic is a series I can really analyze if I want to and I could figure all sorts of neat and not-so-neat stuff about the various games, shows or comics. It's cool to analyze Sonic.
23. Favorite trailer?
Easily, the Pre Order trailer for Mania. No other trailer got me as excited or emotional for a game unlike that one.
Seeing Tyson Hesse's animations in his iconic Mega Drive artstyle is so goddamn beautiful and it really does make me excited to see if SEGA would be down to make atleast a miniseries of Classic Sonic cartoons with Hesse, that would be so cool! It could be our Pokemon Generations! And Hyper Potions' Time Trails playing in the background, pure bliss. Who would've thought something like this would happen when we first saw Fire & Ice's first trailer with their track, Porta Vista, fun times. I also really like how the trailers switches between Sonic, Tails and Knuckles according to the beat, I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff! I could go on for ages about that trailer, it just has so much personality and passion put into it! Bless Webber for getting the idea of Hesse animating for Mania, even if it is for promotional purposes.
24. My favorite iteration of Sonic?
Woof, tbh it's actually not that hard.
It's another tie, Boom and PostReboot Archie.
Boom Sonic is a lot more casual and laidback than most iterations, but to my dismay, people interpret that as Sonic being a tired old grandpa (and extra points for using clips of the second episode of the series because of course! :^) ) but as more episodes get aired, more of Sonic's personality starts begin to show to me. While he is normally casual, he's very much in the go when it comes to fighting off Eggman or any other baddies or when he's goofing off with his friends. He's also a dick and can be pretty blunt at times. TBH, I could very much see this iteration of Sonic just saying it how it is, not sugarcoating or anything. It also makes sense to me when he feels down and people try to cheer him up, he's not really in the mood for it. TBH, Boom Sonic reminds a lot like me so yeah I gravitated to Boom Sonic.
Post Reboot Archie Sonic is pretty much Adventure-Black Knight Sonic but I guess with more natural dialogue? But yeah, he's a hog of action, very supportive of his friends and has a fun time kicking robutt as well and cracks some jokes along the way. Not much to say about that, just a more concise interpretation of the various portrayals from the games.
25. Why am I still stuck with the Blue Spikeball?
Because I just do? I mean, Sonic was a major driving force of my childhood, it was my escape from the crap moments of my life and it was my gateway to meeting friends and that kind of shindig. I guess it also helps that I do enjoy a good majority of the games, not all (still looking at you 06) but for the most part, I can pick up a game and have a fun time playing though it. Will I ever grow cynical of the series? Well I have been very critical of Forces ever since the SXSW reveal, I can still see myself have a decent enough time playing through it. I guess it helps that I'm just going with the flow with whatever Sonic product is out. New Boom episode? Sure, I'll give it a watch, it'll be a fun time! Mania? Hell yeah, AUGUST 15 HURRY UP YOH! Forces? Not really my cup to tea but it seems decent enough. Runners Adventure? Just tell me when Gameloft will officially announce it and I'll spend all of my damn money on it! BBFA3? Yes, just yes. Gimme the Big goodness!
Yeah, I like Sonic I guess. Late response is late but as I said, real life over internet life (most of the time).