Mr Loopone reacted to Sonic Fan J for a status update, So I took the dive at @Kiah 's advice and attempted to sum up the rationale behind my
So I took the dive at @Kiah's advice and attempted to sum up the rationale behind my Rosy redesign as concisely and as briefly as I could. It's still over a thousand words long though so sorry for the length in advance.
A question I frequently get involving my Rosy redesign is why I opted for a leotard with the most common criticism being that it makes her look incomplete without shorts or a skirt. It’s kind of a long story in its entirety as to why and ties into the entire redesign on a whole but for the sake of brevity I’ll try to break it down by point by point.
Insight into a Redesign
Part 1: The Inspiration to Redesign
So first and foremost let me address the history points that made me want to try redesigning Amy.
· I’ve always preferred Amy’s classic design and wanted to see it brought back.
· While on a forum I saw a frequent complaint against Amy’s design was panty shots and a desire to have her redesigned to avoid them.
· On the same forum I had frequent arguments about rolling gameplay versus hammer gameplay with a common excuse for Amy not to roll being that she wore a dress.
· I was growing tired of the insistence that a hedgehog in the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise should not be able to curl into a ball and roll, no less that a hedgehog should be deprived of their natural ability to curl into a ball to defend themselves.
The above points were the primary things that led to me wanting to redesign Amy to address my concerns as well as the concerns of others.
Part 2: Why a Leotard
Motivated to actually redesign her I needed something that would tie all of my thoughts on the matter together and also feel in character enough to be believable. A leotard proved the ideal starting place to me for the following reasons.
· The choice for a leotard had actually started long before any of the arguments that got me started as there had been a pic on DeviantArt with Amy in a white leotard that struck me in just the right way and stuck with me for a long time.
· As rolling was a major component of most of my arguments I found a leotard was an immediate visual cue that implied tumbling and acrobatics to which rolling and curling into a ball is a natural part of.
· As athletic wear a leotard is meant to be seen and to show off the figure in motion meaning that there would be no modesty problems like with a skirt.
· I found that a leotard simplified Amy’s design and silhouette and allowed her to better blend in with Sonic and Tails without being too busy. Or breaking SEGA’s need to have female characters dressed.
· Another benefit to the leotard design was the similarity to one-piece swimsuits which can be worn as a triathlon suit which fit for Amy being an adventurer going through numerous environments of which swimming was a part as well as running.
· Character-wise, Amy is supposedly a tomboy so a leotard would be slightly questionable on its own but I found her love of retro tidbits such as old cars and her go-go boots made 80’s leotard fashions something she would buy into.
· Originally introduced as an 8yo Amy is typically a little girl who is as a girly as she is tomboyish and I’ve seen many a little girl proudly run around in public after dance class in nothing more than a leotard so I found that to be something that a small girl like Amy would do as well.
· As a Phantasy Star fan back in the day I was aware that after the original all of the main heroines (Nei, Mieu, and Rika)
«image» (Sorry for the tiny pic)
wore leotards while adventuring and thought since Amy is supposed to be the main heroine of the Sonic franchise that it’d be a nice tribute to Phantasy Star.
So for the most part those are the primary reasons as to why I settled on a leotard and did not add shorts or a skirt to my redesign. The imagery of a leotard and everything it represents would be lost if I added garments that obscured it thus defeating the point of using one in the first place.
Part 3: Other Design Decisions
Obviously there was more to my redesign than just putting Amy in a leotard and all of those reasons tie back to making her look like rolling should never be a problem for her as well as making her fit aesthetically more with Sonic and Tails.
· For my redesign I brought back Amy’s original quills both because I prefer it and because it makes her look like a Sonic franchise hedgehog which makes it easier to believe that she can curl into a ball and roll.
· I changed Amy’s original back quill to a pair to match the other hedgehogs and also because I find the symmetry more aesthetically pleasing.
· With Amy’s eyes I opted to use her original shape as it felt softer and less aggressive which I felt better fit with her being cheerful and energetic.
· I changed Amy’s eyelashes from long and slender to a more bubbly, chubby, and blocky design inspired by the character Narugino Mikatan
from the anime Punchline (please don’t judge me, it’s a really good story) as I felt the effect was more childish and bubbly which better fit Amy’s personality and age.
· Another thing I brought back for my redesign was Amy’s original nose both for species consistency and also as I feel it balances out the weight of the head in the front with the quills in the back.
· Sticking with Amy’s modern hairband was to keep her design sleeker and less cluttered which was also the thought process for using her original bangle-less gloves.
· The white color of the leotard was inspired by the same picture that had put the idea of a leotard in my head in the first as the color contrast between the pink and white I found striking, but also to imply a certain degree of purity to Amy’s character as an optimistic Genki Girl.
· The puffy sleeves and collar of her leotard were taken directly from her classic design as again it was my preferred design but also to add some character to the design while making it easier to tell that she was wearing something. Additionally, the puffy sleeves tied into Amy’s girliness and brought that element back to her design.
· For my redesign I’ve taken to having her tail wagging to add a constant visible element emphasizing her energy and good cheer.
· Her shoes were inspired by her Olympic Game slippers for her gymnastic and swimwear as I both fell in love with the design and also because it tied back into the tumbling mentality of putting he in a leotard. The socks were added primarily to make her match Sonic and Tails and their aesthetic.
· Lastly, I chose to use her Rosy the Rascal name as I felt it better fit her playful and tomboyish nature as well as being a name that better implied that she would have no problems tumbling and rolling about as well as describing her constant disposition. Changing to using her Rosy name was also a way to differentiate my redesign from the Amy Rose that everyone normally thinks of.
And that on a whole is the basic rundown behind the thought process that gave birth to my redesign of Amy into my version of Rosy. I hope this as brief as I could manage list of points helps answer any and all questions about my design process and why I actively choose to leave her “incomplete” by not adding a skirt or shorts.
Mr Loopone reacted to Miraculous Milo for a status update, I can't wait to see Sonic's Ass Racing beat Sonic Racing's ass this summer.
I can't wait to see Sonic's Ass Racing beat Sonic Racing's ass this summer.
Mr Loopone reacted to DanJ86 for a status update, Found a picture of Futaba and Morgana drawn by character artist, Kei. You might recog
Found a picture of Futaba and Morgana drawn by character artist, Kei.
You might recognise the style from characters like Hatsune Miku and the Vocaloids as well as the Sega Hard Girls.
Mr Loopone reacted to Miraculous Milo for a status update, nintendo's FY3 quarterly results are out . seems they won't quite hit that original 2
nintendo's FY3 quarterly results are out.
seems they won't quite hit that original 20M FY forecast for switch sales; although hardware sales was still good, they've revised it down to 17 million. (over 9 million last quarter, over 14 million overall this FY, over 32 million LTD. it's behind the N64's LTD by only a few hundred thousand units)
software sales is another story....holy shit is that another story....
Mr Loopone reacted to Blueknight V2.0 for a status update, Well I just got a surprise. Kevin Miller, the voice of Sly Cooper, is now following m
Well I just got a surprise. Kevin Miller, the voice of Sly Cooper, is now following me on Twitter. That was a big surprise, I wasn't expecting the guy who voices one of my favorite video game characters to do that. I believe that's a 1st, as I didn't even know what to say about that.
Mr Loopone reacted to Harkofthewaa for a status update, Playing Forza Horizon 3 for the first time be like
Playing Forza Horizon 3 for the first time be like
Mr Loopone reacted to Sonic Fan J for a status update, Well I need to bail but I saw a phrase that got me pondering so I'll dole out a quest
Well I need to bail but I saw a phrase that got me pondering so I'll dole out a question before I go.
Using the term "Live Action Cartoon", at what point does realism become more important than the cartoon aspects? Personally speaking, I don't think realism should ever be more important in this case and find that enough internal consistency is all I need to suspend my disbelief (well as well as engaging characters or fun antics so that way I just don't care). Of course I'm kind of biased in the fact that for as much as a good live action piece of media can entertain me my personal preferences are if I want realistic and photo realistic experiences I'll just step outside. When I want the fantastical I find the freedom of disregarding reality as I know it liberating and affords me a freedom that grounding everything in reality just plain can't. When I see people say realism is important I find myself asking what's wrong with the fantastical?
Anyway, catch you later SSMB!
Mr Loopone reacted to DanJ86 for a status update, I worry that rushing a drawing will greatly effect the quality. With the contest I wa
I worry that rushing a drawing will greatly effect the quality. With the contest I wanted to enter, I forgot to take into account the different time zones. So the deadline was going to be much sooner.
Had to cancel sleep but I did get something that looks like a finished piece of art done in time.
Now I need to go lay down.
Mr Loopone reacted to Miraculous Milo for a status update, el - oh - el EA Vancouver's open-world Star Wars game is now binned. (Friendly remind
el - oh - el
EA Vancouver's open-world Star Wars game is now binned. (Friendly reminder that this was salvaged from the corpse of Visceral and their cancelled SW single-player game. They died so this project could live...)
That 10-year exclusive SW game license Disney/LFL hashed out for EA is really paying itself off, amirite?
Mr Loopone reacted to TCB for a status update, Hey know what On TSR's release We should instead buy ASRT on steam That'll show em
Hey know what
On TSR's release
We should instead buy ASRT on steam
That'll show em
Mr Loopone reacted to Failinhearts for a status update, Told him I'd do it, and by golly I will! @Sonic Fan J 's Amy redesign, but in my styl
Told him I'd do it, and by golly I will!
@Sonic Fan J's Amy redesign, but in my style!
Mr Loopone reacted to Sonic Fan J for a status update, It's late now by her time, but as birthday present for @MightyRay I scribbled a Ray f
It's late now by her time, but as birthday present for @MightyRay I scribbled a Ray for her that I hope she enjoys
Happy Birthday again @MightyRay and hope it was a good one that left you as happy as Ray here.
Hope everyone else enjoys as well as it was my first time drawing Ray and asides from some perspective and foreshortening problems I think he came out okay.
Mr Loopone reacted to TCB for a status update, Yo i got sonic opinions wanna hear em Donate to my patreon
Yo i got sonic opinions wanna hear em
Donate to my patreon
Mr Loopone reacted to Dejimon11 for a status update, Alright here's my cold take: Not every character needs to be in a sonic game and i'd
Alright here's my cold take: Not every character needs to be in a sonic game and i'd rather not have them be shoe horned in just for fan service. I'd rather have them serve a purpose.
We don't need 12+ characters to be playable we just need a small handful like 4 or maybe 5 at max.
They should all play similarly but let them have something unique about them to stand out like sonic being the fastest(duh) etc
Most importantly let's not force the player to beat the game several times just to get the true ending.
Yes my opinions suck
Mr Loopone reacted to Kuzu for a status update, So here's a fun fact; Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles weren't always the holy grail
So here's a fun fact; Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles weren't always the holy grail that they're treated as today.
They were derided for while being solid games in their own right, did not change the formula much and many felt it was too similar to Sonic 2.
In fact, outside the fanbase, Sonic 2 is generally the one that everyone remembers.
Mr Loopone reacted to DanJ86 for a status update, Phew. After several days of trail and error, I think I finally got this pose down. Bu
Phew. After several days of trail and error, I think I finally got this pose down. But to make sure, does this look like a tennis player serving the ball to anyone else?
This actually isn't fan art and I'm attempting to send it into an art contest with the theme, Sports.
The contest doesn't take entries after the 16th, so I'm majorly behind schedule. o_0;
Mr Loopone reacted to TCB for a status update, A coworker almost went over that recent smash ultimate datamine leak with me and boy
A coworker almost went over that recent smash ultimate datamine leak with me and boy I was not happy
I like some surprise in the things I remotely like please? Whether or not it's real I don't care I want to be completely blind for once with these things good lord.
To add onto that, the guy who datamined it was pretty reputable with Smash 4's leak (so I heard) so saying "we don't know if it's real or not" is a pretty silly thing to say isn't it?
Mr Loopone reacted to PaulyBFromDa303 for a status update,  Sonic Legacy - When The World Is Mine (Dr. Eggman) https://soundcloud.com/paulyb
 Sonic Legacy - When The World Is Mine (Dr. Eggman)
Track 096 // Length: 6:44 // Style: Drum ‘n Bass // Speed: 172 BPM // Measures: 290 // Loops: 35 // Clips: 17 // Time Taken: 55 days
Composed, lyrics written and performed by: Pauly B
Extra contributions: Fleetway
Icon Art by: Rush
Sonic The Hedgehog (TM) is property of SEGA Enterprises
Sonic Legacy (TM) is property of Sonic Paradox
My first official contribution to Sonic Legacy! I decided to take on the task of composing a theme for Dr. Eggman in this up-and-coming web-series! The point was to make a mix of sound styles, with the orchestral Eggman theme from Sonic ’06, an intense feeling from Eggman’s theme from Sonic Adventure 2, and my own little twist of Drum ‘n Bass. It features a few orchestral MIDIs along with plenty of customized synths, and completely original lyrics.
Trumpets and strings in the beginning to give it a darker feel before it really pops off. The YEEHAW was inspired by Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine, as that was his line in the game. I’m learning quite a bit by just exploring equalizers and finding new sounds, and learning how to better adjust then in-pattern. Hence the futuristic sounding synths. Tried to keep it intense, what I really pictured was a hostile robot takeover in action. Something that fits the attitude that lets you know that Eggman means business.
I received a lot of external help from the Sonic Legacy crew, fixing up knicks and smoothing things over. It took quite a bit of time and a lot of extra ears to oversee that this is as good as it can get. I am a little nervous about how well my voice is going to go over. I tried my best to sing it out and edit it properly. I even learned a few things along the way, mostly about how most raw files need to be compressed to even things out. I spent a lot of time editing each and every individual waveform, every consonant and vowel. I am now more easily identifying starts and ends, and I’m paying attention to every detail down to the last 1/1000th of a second to keep it smooth and not jumpy. It helps
Eggman Army come forth! Arise! Get down to the jams and party it up robot style! And hey . . . thanks for the listen! Here’s to the future! Don't forget to check out everything Sonic Legacy at https://tapas.io/series/Sonic-Legacy and join the Discord channel at https://discord.gg/tdxmJv2
You’ve taken everything
I used to be, away from me
You left me broken down and shaken
It’s boiling up inside
This pain I feel’s become so real
It hurts so much and I can’t take it
My vengeance is burning
You will see a side of me I just can’t hide
My time is approaching
You could never stop me even if you try
Keep your fear
Take your sorrow
It’s too late for you to leave it all behind
And when you see my face, you will know your place
You will pay when I take over for all time
When the world is mine (x2)
Now I'm coming and I'm headed your way
There's nothing you can change, nothing you can say
I'm gonna take over and it starts today (x2)
Keep your fear
Take your sorrow
It’s too late for you to leave it all behind
And when you see my face, you will know your place
You will pay when I take over for all time
When the world is mine (x4)
WHEN THE WORLD IS MINE!
Mr Loopone reacted to AWild No.1 washed up gamer for a status update, Been a while since i posted some art on here. Here's some of my latest work: I post m
Been a while since i posted some art on here. Here's some of my latest work:
I post most of my work on facebook now.
Mr Loopone reacted to Sonic Fan J for a status update, First pic of 2019 is here and it's none other than Sonic himself Here he is dropping
First pic of 2019 is here and it's none other than Sonic himself
Here he is dropping in to set the theme for all of my January art, so if I get to more art this month expect to see characters dropping in in any number of ways. Meanwhile hope everyone enjoys this Sonic pic even as I bemoan his left foot. Feet are so hard to draw right some days 🤣