Awoo.

So SatBK was released recently.

Sonime

I personally feel like a Sonic game more like the classics would sell better than the new ones. Supporting this, "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection" was a big seller.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperStingray

• SuperLink

• Indigo Rush

• Ryan Brown

Now if only they had carried through with the rumor about a new HD "original styled" Sonic game...

I don't see why SEGA don't just make a "Sonic 4"-esque game and get it over with. Release it for XBLA, PSN, and WiiWare, what do they have to lose? It'll probably cost less than they're usual game and sell more, even at a lower price. Think about it, classic fans around the world will want it, casual Sonic fans will see Sonic and instantly want it, and pretty much every hardcore fan will buy it.

I'll have the game tommarow, and I can't wait to play it. Since I liked every other sonic game reviewers didn't like besides Shadow.(I could tolerate 06)

This is the last time I'll ask. Any tips on beating Lancelot for the second time? He' kicking my rear, and always wins the sword locks.

try waving the remote around in a circle instead of shaking it, like you would do in No More Heroes. It seems to me though that you can beat him just by holding block until he turns read or something.

I've just barely scratched the surface of the game, I'm at the very beginning. I really don't have a huge opinion so far, it's middle of the road for me. The storyline and banter between characters is actually humorous to me, and the music is pretty bad ass too. The gameplay (and specifically controls) may have been simplified a little too far, but it's actually better than what IGN made it sound like, sounding all 'gloom and doom' about it. I'm honestly having more fun with Black Knight than I did with Secret Rings, and I'll be progressing further into the game soon.

I don't see why SEGA don't just make a "Sonic 4"-esque game and get it over with. Release it for XBLA, PSN, and WiiWare, what do they have to lose? It'll probably cost less than they're usual game and sell more, even at a lower price. Think about it, classic fans around the world will want it, casual Sonic fans will see Sonic and instantly want it, and pretty much every hardcore fan will buy it.
If Sonic 1 Genesis on the GBA is any indicator, Sonic Team's ability to replicate classic games without the original source code is far from stellar.

Do you really think they could pull of a classic style game that lives up to the classics considering their track record as of late? I mean SU was pretty good but it was no S3&K. If they fucked that up there would be even more fan bitching then usual. I know because I'd be at the front of the line.

Unless they've been throwing stuff out, they have C code ports of all the classic games, only missing audio, which was emulated (poorly). They made them for Sonic Jam. If they don't even have that, they can download the reverse engineered source from Sonic Retro.

Still though, Sonic Team's technical abilities have gotten a lot better since then.

try waving the remote around in a circle instead of shaking it, like you would do in No More Heroes. It seems to me though that you can beat him just by holding block until he turns read or something.

Waving in a circle has no effect, I"ve never played no more heroes, and if you just block, your block will eventually disappear.

This is futile. Maybe I should level up more.

That actually sounds like an awesome ending.

(If you're gonna use my sig, would you at least credit me?)

Unless they've been throwing stuff out, they have C code ports of all the classic games, only missing audio, which was emulated (poorly). They made them for Sonic Jam. If they don't even have that, they can download the reverse engineered source from Sonic Retro.

Still though, Sonic Team's technical abilities have gotten a lot better since then.

Actually, embarasingly, I hear they lost the code for Sonic 1, which was why they had to do it from scratch. If they were silly enough to do that, I wouldn't trust them to have a good grip on the code of older games, either, and Genisis was a farce, easily topped by a homebrew port.

Uhmm.....

At the end of the credits, it was revealed that the whole story was fake, which Sonic told to Amy Rose to get out of a date with her.

Yep........but still a bad story.

No, it's not fake. It really, happened- it's just that Amy didn't believe it.

You can see that the story of King Arthur is rewritten to be Sonic's adventure, which becomes "Sonic and the Black Knight.

Edited by Venom

Actually, embarasingly, I hear they lost the code for Sonic 1, which was why they had to do it from scratch. If they were silly enough to do that, I wouldn't trust them to have a good grip on the code of older games, either, and Genisis was a farce, easily topped by a homebrew port.

^ This. Emulation and building a game from scratch are two completely different things - those other ports you keep seeing on compilations and online services? Those are emulations. It's effectively impossible to fuck up an emulation unless you have a corrupt rom or something.

Making a brand new game in the style of the Genesis classics will unlikely be quite the same, partly because of this. They would require to build the game from scratch for the most part instead of copy/pasting an emulation, because either way it would still feature content not available in previous Genny game. Obviously rom hacking isn't a evident solution to them either (partly because it's, uh, illegal maybe?), and all be damned if they let anyone who can do it better (IE: us) make it for them. Another good reason is that very few, if any, of the original staff that worked on the original Sonics work for either Sega or Sonic Team anymore, so naturally, the existing staff wouldn't know the details of what makes a classic Sonic game if it came and spinballed their heads off.

Any way you look at it, Sonic 4 is a bit of a pipe dream. As it stands right now, it's practically impossible to replicate the classic games well enough for a spiritual sequel, and seeing as that's enough to ruin the whole game for some of you people, it'll completely defeat the purpose of making it in the first place. I WILL have to agree that Sonic Team's gotten better since that botched remake on the GBA, but their chances of making a faithful sequel are still slim to none and they'd most likely be better off working on a whole new product instead. Oh, but I'm getting off topic now aren't I? In that case forget everything I said here. XD

Edited by Blacklightning

No, it's not fake. It really, happened- it's just that Amy didn't believe it.

You can see that the story of King Arthur is rewritten to be Sonic's adventure, which becomes "Sonic and the Black Knight.

For some reason, I'm interested of this story....I don't know exactly what the whole story is all about but I will once I rent the game tomorrow from Blockbuster's.

^ This. Emulation and building a game from scratch are two completely different things - those other ports you keep seeing on compilations and online services? Those are emulations. It's effectively impossible to fuck up an emulation unless you have a corrupt rom or something.

Making a brand new game in the style of the Genesis classics will unlikely be quite the same, partly because of this. They would require to build the game from scratch for the most part instead of copy/pasting an emulation, because either way it would still feature content not available in previous Genny game. Obviously rom hacking isn't a evident solution to them either (partly because it's, uh, illegal maybe?), and all be damned if they let anyone who can do it better (IE: us) make it for them. Another good reason is that very few, if any, of the original staff that worked on the original Sonics work for either Sega or Sonic Team anymore, so naturally, the existing staff wouldn't know the details of what makes a classic Sonic game if it came and spinballed their heads off.

Any way you look at it, Sonic 4 is a bit of a pipe dream. As it stands right now, it's practically impossible to replicate the classic games well enough for a spiritual sequel, and seeing as that's enough to ruin the whole game for some of you people, it'll completely defeat the purpose of making it in the first place. I WILL have to agree that Sonic Team's gotten better since that botched remake on the GBA, but their chances of making a faithful sequel are still slim to none and they'd most likely be better off working on a whole new product instead. Oh, but I'm getting off topic now aren't I? In that case forget everything I said here. XD

Sonic Team still should have some semblance of what to do; if the fangamers can do it, why not them?

Maybe they wouldn't be as good as the originals (that's almost guaranteed to happen), but they could still be better than some of the games Sonic Team puts out now.

Well, I don't understand all this talk about emulations and the classic games. I'm too stupid to get my head around certain technology.

So I'm going to jump in with something, then you guys can continue....

Since the game is out now in the US, I was curious to know if anyone had seen the art winners, and if a sertain region only showed there region winners. I think I got my answer now, thanks to a chap on YouTube.

I don't know if anybody else has posted this already yet but, here's a link to a movie that is a compilation of the the art on the game. (if anyones interested)

I heard that Throw it all Away and Unknown from ME SA2 were used for Shadow and Knuckles boss introductions but what about Blaze? Did they use Dreams of an Absolution or something or does she have totally new theme?

I think she has her boss theme from Sonic Rush, that's what I heard anyway.

Oh, and, Sonic Advance is the closest you'll ever get to a legit Sonic 4. Even if they make a downloadable one, it'll be criticised as "not classic Sonic" as long as Sonic has green eyes anyway, so why bother?

However, SatBK... has not been a let-down. Well, ok,

having Dan Green be the voice of the Dark Knight as well as Knuckles... it's quite lame. I was hoping for a more menacing voice, not... Yami when he's being nice. >.> I switched straight over to Japanese after hearing that.

That's really depressing, nowadays not one person can go through a conversation about games without either wishing there was a Japanese version or wishing for the dialogue as an option. In Sonic And The Black Knight, and many other Sonic games. Sonic's Japanese Voice actors turn Sonic into an Anime game. The voice acting Isn't actually that good. And the thing you mentioned about scripts. Scripts are localized. It wouldn't have just been a straight translation, they would've changed things for the market. Not that I condone the 4kids company and what they do, but since everyone jumped on the voice band wagon It's hard to make an internet statement without getting a shit-ton of Drummond fanboys curse at you. Fact Is, Griffith got better, and I enjoyed the English voicing cast. Since you mentioned the Japanese Counterpart, after beating the game in English I switched over to Japanese. And saw my Sonic game turn into an E grade Anime game.

And the game? It was enjoyable, first things first, TOO SHORT. The wii controls need fixing If ever there was a sequel (probably not), Story needs to be a bit clearer as I found my self thinking "You could do It that way I suppose" Instead of "Oh, never thought of that". The game In my eyes is not worth a purchase, unless you're a hardcore Sonic Fan (And by that I don't mean I'm stereotyping anyone, but this game is so short It's a collectors item at most). The general consensus though is that you'll enjoy moments of this game and not others but It showed a nice flare of Sonic Team to me as did Secret Rings. May I add that the controls of Secret Rings are perfectly FINE, people who can't use them however, that's more of their problem than anything. People who constantly badger about the "awful controls", sure there are a few bugs, but I got on just fine after 3 minutes of helpful tutorials.

Black Knight:Rent the game, try it, love it, hate it.

I think these games are a nice edition, and how this was put together was a bit more exciting than Unleashed.

That's really depressing, nowadays not one person can go through a conversation about games without either wishing there was a Japanese version or wishing for the dialogue as an option. In Sonic And The Black Knight, and many other Sonic games. Sonic's Japanese Voice actors turn Sonic into an Anime game. The voice acting Isn't actually that good. And the thing you mentioned about scripts. Scripts are localized. It wouldn't have just been a straight translation, they would've changed things for the market. Not that I condone the 4kids company and what they do, but since everyone jumped on the voice band wagon It's hard to make an internet statement without getting a shit-ton of Drummond fanboys curse at you. Fact Is, Griffith got better, and I enjoyed the English voicing cast. Since you mentioned the Japanese Counterpart, after beating the game in English I switched over to Japanese. And saw my Sonic game turn into an E grade Anime game.

Fuck man, completey agree. I like anime a lot, but the Japanese language is so damn glorified these days. Is English really that bad? I mean I hate Rouge's (I really liked her old voice) and Knuckles' voices, but other than that 4Kids aren't that bad to me anymore. Tails' new voice is actually better than his old one.

Just thought I'd remind everyone that SatSR did have a weird learning curve. I started playing it recently in anticipation for BK (which I still can't play for a week or more) and it took me a good half an hour to an hour to get used to, as opposed to Unleashed which I got used to after playing just a couple of stages. The controls for the story book series are bad, but the game is still really enjoyable for many, including me. It's just a shame they didn't work on them more for the new title.

The final boss was awesome. (MAJOR PLOT TWIST-->)

The fact that Merlina was the villan all along was a shocker, the first time that Sonic had to fight someone he thought was on his side. At least they mixed it up a bit. XD

The gameplay is okay, but it could have been done better. :\