Awoo.

So SatBK was released recently.

Sonime

Merlina said she wanted the Kingdom to be eternal, not herself. If your nation lives forever, that doesn't mean you have to. And even so, I don't think it's right for Sonic to force that onto her, whether it's right or wrong. But that's part of what I love about the story, it's moral is debatable; it feels genuine and not cheesy.

>.> was editing my post and then here you go and reply to it.

Either way, just because Sonic goes on trying to stop Merlina for the reason he sought out doesn't mean he's encouraging death. Sonic never said directly that it was ok to die, for one. Did he kill her? No. Did she end up going on a rampage afterwards to kill everything? No. Did any similar type of act happen? No. Sonic's just trying to get through to her that nothing lasts forever and we are all given one life, so might as well appreciate it while we still are around.

So what if he forced her? Think of it as a friend trying to get through a suicidal friend....only Merlina isn't suicidal. ...Gawain is. :P Speaking of, Sonic STOPPED Gawain from killing himself. Contradictory? No. It kind of relates to why Merlina is so bent on making everything last forever. Gawain thought he was unfit to serve the king, because he failed. Sonic just says to him that there's got to be more than just serving a king. Similarly to "There's more to life than such and such."

And now you tell this guy that it wasn't right for him to try and stop Gawain and Merlina from doing something they regret? I'd say that's the true contradiction.

And, in response to your last sentence...

A good story should provoke discussion, debate, argument...and the occasional bar fight. - J. Michael Stracyznski

Let's just hope the barfight doesn't happen.

EDIT: Y'know what? This game has got to be some sort of essay on the value of life or something....

EDIT: *see below post* Diogenes said it best.

Edited by Ryusuke

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperStingray

• SuperLink

• Indigo Rush

• Ryan Brown

And even so, I don't think it's right for Sonic to force that onto her, whether it's right or wrong.

So is it any more right for Merlina to force her beliefs on everyone else?

Sonic's role as a hero is kind of interesting to think about to me. Unlike the whole "Freedom Fighter" thing that the cartoons and such have, in the games Sonic isn't fighting for change, but for things to stay the same. Yet he doesn't oppose change, as SatBK proves. I think of it as something like, he believes that no one person should be allowed to decide how everyone else should live. If the world is going to change, it has to be something everyone agrees on.

So is it any more right for Merlina to force her beliefs on everyone else?

No. I wasn't trying to defend Merlina, but I don't think Sonic's act was entirely justifiable either, at least for the reasons he gave. In a sense, they're both wrong.

Sonic's role as a hero is kind of interesting to think about to me. Unlike the whole "Freedom Fighter" thing that the cartoons and such have, in the games Sonic isn't fighting for change, but for things to stay the same. Yet he doesn't oppose change, as SatBK proves. I think of it as something like, he believes that no one person should be allowed to decide how everyone else should live. If the world is going to change, it has to be something everyone agrees on.

That's really what I love about him. He doesn't have a grasp on good and bad, but he believes in freedom, regardless of whatever the consequences may be.

I have mixed thoughts about whether to get it or not...

I usually enjoy the hated games (Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog) but I still dont know...

I may wait for a bit first

I have mixed thoughts about whether to get it or not...

I usually enjoy the hated games (Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog) but I still dont know...

I may wait for a bit first

If you think you'd enjoy Unleashed mixed with Secret Rings (Plus swordplay, of course), then it's probably your cup o' tea.

>.> was editing my post and then here you go and reply to it.

Either way, just because Sonic goes on trying to stop Merlina for the reason he sought out doesn't mean he's encouraging death. Sonic never said directly that it was ok to die, for one. Did he kill her? No. Did she end up going on a rampage afterwards to kill everything? No. Did any similar type of act happen? No. Sonic's just trying to get through to her that nothing lasts forever and we are all given one life, so might as well appreciate it while we still are around.

So what if he forced her? Think of it as a friend trying to get through a suicidal friend....only Merlina isn't suicidal. ...Gawain is. :P Speaking of, Sonic STOPPED Gawain from killing himself. Contradictory? No. It kind of relates to why Merlina is so bent on making everything last forever. Gawain thought he was unfit to serve the king, because he failed. Sonic just says to him that there's got to be more than just serving a king. Similarly to "There's more to life than such and such."

And now you tell this guy that it wasn't right for him to try and stop Gawain and Merlina from doing something they regret? I'd say that's the true contradiction.

Wow hearing the story like that, just confused me more about the MORAL of this story. What type of goal IS Sonic trying to prove?

Sonic has no master and lives by his rules, and the wind. Meaning that anything he wants to do just happens randomly. When he saved Percival, he acted on a wilm. Sonic's 1st instinct is to save and protect anyone in danger, even if they're harming themselves.

If you want to get psychological with this, she was suffering from a delusion to make things last forever because she lost Arthur and didn't want things to die ever again. Sonic saw that she was suffering and was going to help her get over it.

She saw the natural way of life was pointless and Sonic behaves in the opposite way. This game is a lot about wind and movement, so it's good chance that Sonic didn't want her to freeze the world because then nothing would move.

But that's assuming Sonic is that complexe. As he said "He doesn't understand and doesn't care!" Sonic is random and impulsive, and if someone is in pain he will help them regardless of mental problem. And if you have a mental problem, he'll insult you about it. XD

NOW I have not played the game yet so My opinions really aren't very valid but from what I have seen, it's a very mixed salad of a game. It's a shame for people to want to cling to this game and then toss out Unleashed as crap, very hypocritical. For me the game is a step in the right direction for the Wii Sonic games, but not what I want in the Sonic franchise as a whole.

Few things I do like :

That's got to be the funniest openings I've EVER seen in a video game. My god, every bit of it is good.

Granted I don't expect Sonic to be falling from the sky and landing on his face in every game, but this was executed better then Unleashed's Face Plant gag. I'm more surprised to see they animated him EATING that thing. And how in the world could someone twirl a chillie dog like that? LOLWut, indeed!

Good plot twist, bad ending. It seems like that's going to be a thing they'll do with all the story book games.

Sonic will be in a situation where he won't get to go back home for a long while. Makes me curious to think that Sonic was still trapped in the Secret Rings book when Merlina zapped him into her book.

But I do like the scene before the final boss, that was very well executed, and if they made more dramatic action like that, it'll better Sonic's character and make playing the games more worth it. That by no means, Unleashed's story was any worse then this ones, IMO.

As for gameplay, it looks like an improvement but not great. I think this will stand out like Rush games because it's short and it what it is, no more no less. The VAs are still an issue for me because Jason and Green only work in short speaking roles. One or two lines and a few grunts, that's it for me. But there were some serious in game play voice acting going on. I'm sure Griffith and Green are great voice actors when NOT playing Sonic and Knuckles, but I can't think of better VAs for then so I'm just going to have to suffer.

This is a very dialogue heavy game too, seems like a lot of talking just in the cut scenes alone (they need to stop adding extra lines to Sonic when he's not supposed to be talking, like what they did with Sonic saying "oops' in Night of the Werehog. They do it again in the opening scene). They add a lot of things to the boss fights and levels that are supposed to help your timing but it just sounds annoying. I can assume playing it would just make it a distraction rather then fun character play.

Only watched clips of the game till it comes out. My impressions of the game is "pretty decent" so far. Sonic and Calibur remind me of the Odd-Couple for some reason.

I pretty much laughed at how suicidal the Knights are, killing themselves if they lost and all that! *Insert Nostalgia Critic quote* You know! For kids! And the moral lectures he gives have a Sonic Sez vibe to them. At least to me, I'm not sure about everyone else.

And bare with me, cos I wanna make sure of this is right: Sonic and Amy hanging out?!! On something similar to a date?!! I know that since Sonic Chronicles or maybe before, they've been pushing the love thing more so lately so that Sonic's interested in her (and it being the player's choice), but really? 3 games later, and they'll be either a steady couple or planning a wedding.

So I guess I'll pretty much buy the game this upcoming Friday the 13th (judging by the date, anything can happen), and hopefully enjoy it more than Secret Rings.

I won't have my hands on it soon....

But I was shocked that the final boss was

Merlina,

We finally get a female final boss in Sonic history!OwO

And we have the opening where

Sonic falls from the sky with chilidogs

, awesomeness right there!:D

So...

I cannot wait>w<

But I was shocked that the final boss was

Merlina,

We finally get a female final boss in Sonic history!OwO

Witchcart?

Only watched clips of the game till it comes out. My impressions of the game is "pretty decent" so far. Sonic and Calibur remind me of the Odd-Couple for some reason.

I pretty much laughed at how suicidal the Knights are, killing themselves if they lost and all that! *Insert Nostalgia Critic quote* You know! For kids! And the moral lectures he gives have a Sonic Sez vibe to them. At least to me, I'm not sure about everyone else.

And bare with me, cos I wanna make sure of this is right: Sonic and Amy hanging out?!! On something similar to a date?!! I know that since Sonic Chronicles or maybe before, they've been pushing the love thing more so lately so that Sonic's interested in her (and it being the player's choice), but really? 3 games later, and they'll be either a steady couple or planning a wedding.

So I guess I'll pretty much buy the game this upcoming Friday the 13th (judging by the date, anything can happen), and hopefully enjoy it more than Secret Rings.

I don't think he was actually on a date with her. From what I gather, Sonic was simply reciting the events of the game (possibly as a complete fabrication, making the story up to get out of a date with her), which Amy then realises as an escape ploy.

Edited by FeathersMcGraw

I don't think he was actually on a date with her. From what I gather, Sonic was simply reciting the events of the game (possibly as a complete fabrication, making the story up to get out of a date with her), which Amy then realises as an escape ploy.

Methinks I read somewhere that in the manual, it mentions that Sonic was hanging out with Amy before being sucked into the Arthurian worlds, which would explain him having two chili dogs with him, I guess.

Another thing I forgot to mention was how before the final boss fight, the scene reminded me more so of Saint Seiya. Unless you're familiar with the series, it's more to do with Sonic fighting with all he's got till dead, friends cheering him on or telling him enough from a distance, their powers combine to his for an effort final attack, and of course the way Sonic has the armour equiped on him and being gold looked like something out of Saint Seiya, too.

well I just beat it and I got to say

That was a good ending an I liked it better that SatSR, the gold armor was really cool lookng..but am I the only one that thought the final battle was way easy(compared to SatSR's) I beat it on like my 2 try lol.

I wonder what the next story ill be...

Wait...

Merlina's the final boss?

This is the first I've heard of it. Does this have something to do with that

plot twist

everyone's mentioning? I haven't gotten anywhere near it; I basically only just finished fighting Percival.

Wait...

Merlina's the final boss?

This is the first I've heard of it. Does this have something to do with that

plot twist

everyone's mentioning? I haven't gotten anywhere near it; I basically only just finished fighting Percival.

Yes, but reading spoilers before you finish the game kind of takes out the thrill.

Not gonna bring up any debates about whether the game is good or not, but--

Do you guys think the vocal tracks might have full versions of Fight the Knight and Through the Fire? The loops were disappointing to me.

Witchcart?

GameGear games FTW.

Do you guys think the vocal tracks might have full versions of Fight the Knight and Through the Fire? The loops were disappointing to me.

They always do, so I wouldn't be too discouraged.

Wow, found something out that I don't think has been posted here yet.

"All Hail Shadow" (Crush 40) and "Vella Nova (Step-by-step)" appear in this game! There a medals you can get and identify in certain levels, and once equipped they play their respective song in-game. So far I only have Lancelot's and Percieval's, and am looking to find Gawains.

Also, Legacy stages ftw! If you don't know about them yet, they are unlockable missions that make the game just like the older 3D Sonics. Rings spread around the stage, bounce spring and accelerator pads abound, and flying egg-pawns (can't remember their actual name) litter the stage just waiting to be homing attacked. God damn, I just wrote a pretty sentance right there! Beating these levels can net you a world ring; collect all seven and you get a new song in the gallery! It's the Crush 40 version of "Seven Rings in Hand", so if you've heard it before I don't know if you'd bother to find the rings like I've been. Unfortunalty, of the five legacy stages I unlocked, only three of them five me world rings. I was just about to look this up on gamefaqs when I came to this site to post this.

That's all for now!

Edited by Emerald Hedge

That doesn't really sound entirely believable to me. o.0; Sounds like there's way too many extras in there! And noone's mentioned it before.

Also I thought Percival's theme wasn't Vella Nova after all? Ah who knows.

Oh God, I wish that would happen. Seriously. >w< *well excuse me for being a SonAmy fan here... D=*

Edited by Spicylicious

Quick question from me...

I've seen most of the cutscenes and the final boss battle now (I haven't got the game yet), but

how does Sonic get back to his own world? Is it explained? Is it like Secret Rings, where it's just "Sonic kept on running and eventually got back home"? I've seen the Sonic/Amy ending cutscene where he explains what happened but how does he actually get back home?

It's been bugging me, it has. :huh:

That doesn't really sound entirely believable to me. o.0; Sounds like there's way too many extras in there! And noone's mentioned it before.

Also I thought Percival's theme wasn't Vela Nova after all? Ah who knows.

The medal themes and the cutscene themes are different, bar Knuckles.

Medal themes

---------------

Gawain: Unknown From M.E. (SA1)

Lancelot: All Hail Shadow (Crush 40)

Percival: Vela-Nova (Digital Remakin version)

Sonic: What I'm Made Of (remastered version)

Cutscene/Intro themes

-------------------------

Gawain: Unknown From M.E. (SA1)

Lancelot: Throw It All Away

Percival: Original track (Titled "Sir Percival - Knight of the Grail)

And I'm shocked I'm the only one who sees the value in eternal life, but oh well.

Also I thought Percival's theme wasn't Vella Nova after all? Ah who knows.

It's not her theme in the cut scene before you fight her, HOWEVER, I managed to defeat her with a score 3 stars or higher and received a 'Percivals Stone' item. If you equip it, it plays Vella Nova instead of the levels background music. I got a Lancelot one too, of which plays 'All Hail Shadow' constantly. I only presume there's a Knuckles one, I can't get any higher than two stars. XD But yes, Vella Nova is in this game.

Edit - Aquaslash posted as I was. XD Answers all of the questions I was pondering, thanks!

Just saw some videos of these Legacy stages, they're real afterall! Wow, seems like there's more in this game than meets the eye, I'm pretty impressed.