Awoo.

BT ordered by a Court to block access to a pirate site

Badnik Mechanic

For those who don't know, Newzbin 2 is a website which is kinda like the pirate bay, you go there and you search for links to movies and various other things which you can download for free... ilegally..

Ommmmmmmm

Well... today a court here in the UK ordered BT, one of the largest telephone and internet service providers in the UK to stop all access to this website anywhere on it's network.

As of today if you are a BT user, you will not be allowed to even visit this site let alone register on it or download anything from it.

Mr Justice Arnold stated: "In my judgment it follows that BT has actual knowledge of other persons using its service to infringe copyright: it knows that the users and operators of Newzbin 2 infringe copyright on a large scale, and in particular infringe the copyrights of the studios in large numbers of their films and television programmes. [...] It knows that the users of Newzbin 2 include BT subscribers, and it knows those users use its service to receive infringing copies of copyright works made available to them by Newzbin 2."

What does this mean for you?

Well... if you are a BT user, even attempting to visit this website will likely bring up either a 404 warning or some kind of re-direct page (since I'm not a BT user I can't check).

If you are not a BT user you can still visit this site.

What does this REALLY mean for you?

Well... this ruling basically means that now any ISP can be ordered to block access to any website which the court feels violates copywrite law, in cases which are brought forward by either a private individual or someone acting on behalf of a group like say the music or television industry, all they have to do is request a verdict that falls in line with that which was issued today, if the court finds that the case/details are the same, then the ISP who is challenged will have no choice but to comply.

For those of you who are not BT, you may find that your own ISP starts blocking websites just to prevent it from being taken to court. Chances are we'll see other ISP's blocking access to this website in the next coming weeks.

Now then boys and girls.

I have deliberately kept my own opinions of this out of the post as I wanted it to be as impartial as possible. How do you react to this news?

Source.

Personally, I'm against pirates anyway-honestly, latest news is they've pirated the Humble Indie Bundle Pack, made to give sick and disabled children a better life through the proceeds,and just taken the games for free. So yeah, I dislike pirates.

Not to mention I'm not even a BT User.

However, I can see why some people are going to be miffed by this. Sort of. (I don't have the same mindset as them, but whatever.)

At least SOME kind of step has been taken towards stopping pirates.

That's my honest opinion anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh, there is always a way, its like Skynet you can't stop it. They'll just create another site.

Edited by BW199148

Why hello there proxy server, how are you this fine day?

This does absolutely butt-fucking nothing to stop piracy, and shame on the judge for actually thinking this will work, although I appreciate his position in theory.

In practice? Well y'know all that fancy fanart, forum signatures and forum avatars that infringe copyright left, right and centre?

...Yeah. :)

Personally, I'm against pirates anyway-honestly, latest news is they've pirated the Humble Indie Bundle Pack, made to give sick and disabled children a better life through the proceeds,and just taken the games for free. So yeah, I dislike pirates.

Some of us aren't rich like you, you know.

Sometimes you want X thing so much but have either no money or have the money but can't buy it. The last thing that is left is downloading it from internet.

Buuut as it seems you are rich and can buy everything you want. So yeah, not going to argue with you.

Sorry if I seem to mock you, but it's the truth.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 14

That's a bit unfair Blue Wisp to assume that he’s wealthy, I mean maybe he doesn't honestly feel the need to pirate stuff off the net, you know? ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Extreme situation require extreme actions.

And I assume he's wealthy for the fact that "I hate pirates" stuff. But Knights are better >:U

Basically, I am against "no-pirates" guys. I assume directly that those that think that Pirates are horrible and stuff are wealthy enough to buy things that they want. Neg-rep me as you wish, this is my type of opinion.

Edited by Blue Wisp
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Sometimes you want X thing so much but have either no money or have the money but can't buy it. The last thing that is left is downloading it from internet.

Buuut as it seems you are rich and can buy everything you want. So yeah, not going to argue with you.

Or you could always save your money and then buy it when you have enough?

Extreme situation require extreme actions.

Since when is not being able to afford a movie an 'extreme situation' which required 'extreme action?'

• Thumbs Up 6

Or you could always save your money and then buy it when you have enough?

or have the money but can't buy it.

That is my situation, I have like. 300 bucks saved up, I want to buy an Xbox 360 Slim but my parents won't allow me buy it WITH MY OWN MONEY.

That is my situation, I have like. 300 bucks saved up, I want to buy an Xbox 360 Slim but my parents won't allow me buy it WITH MY OWN MONEY.

So... are you going to pirate the Xbox? :V

• Thumbs Up 1

So... are you going to pirate the Xbox? :V

If necessary, yes.

EDIT: No wait, how do you pirate a Xbox. Illogical. My point is, I COULD go ahead and buy the 360, but then I would have to pirate it for the EXTREME price of Xbox 360 (or ANY other console actually) games. And I never will buy second-hand or used games. I prefer to have new ones, either made by me or bought original.

Edited by Blue Wisp

EDIT: No wait, how do you pirate a Xbox. Illogical. My point is, I COULD go ahead and buy the 360, but then I would have to pirate it for the EXTREME price of Xbox 360 (or ANY other console actually) games. And I never will buy second-hand or used games. I prefer to have new ones, either made by me or bought original.

What you have just said is this.

"I could buy an Xbox 360 if I wanted to, but the new games cost too much money so I'm going to steal them. Pft second hand... get out of here! I'd rather have a 'new' digital copy that comes with no manual or box instead of a second hand game!

I like new games that I made!"

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 1

What you have just said is this.

"I could buy an Xbox 360 if I wanted to, but the new games cost too much money so I'm going to steal them. Pft second hand... get out of here! I'd rather have a 'new' digital copy that comes with no manual or box instead of a second hand game!

I like new games that I made!"

WRONG [/lexluthor]

What I just said is, "I can buy X, but as the price of Y for X is so expensive. I would rather pirate Y for my X."

Oh and, I print the covers and buy DVD boxes. Screw manuals. I also print the Disk covers for the games I find favorites.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

What I just said is, "I can buy X, but as the price of Y for X is so expensive. I would rather pirate Y for my X."

Oh and, I print the covers and buy DVD boxes. Screw manuals. I also print the Disk covers for the games I find favorites.

Oh well... so long as you print off the covers and put pirated games in DVD boxes that doesn't make it a criminal offence at all!

In the worss of Ian Hislop, "Can someone call the police?" These videogame companies have put out a product that you have to pay money for in order to get, now the excuse of 'I can't afford it' followed the justification of 'therefore I'm going to pirate their games' isn't usually a valied excuse in any justice system.

Now this is slowly going off topic so in a bid to bring it back.

I'm assuming that you're against this courts judgement as if it also happened with your ISP it would make life a tad more difficult for you to break the law, but your excuse of 'I can't afford games' isn't going to win you any legal arguments any time soon.

I care less about BT, their country, their choice. I am against no-piracy, but I also don't support piracy. I just prefer to stay on piracy for the fact that games are expensive. If I had the money I would gladly buy the games original. But as of now I rather prefer to stay on pirates.

Oh right, you don't live on Argentina. When you realize how expensive the games are on Argentina. THEN we can talk, but as of now you will keep saying that "Get the money and buy the fucking games" which is something that in fact doesn't work on Argentina, with a son of a bitch penguin as a president.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Oh right, you don't live on Argentina. When you realize how expensive the games are on Argentina. THEN we can talk,

Does the fact I don't live in Argentina change that what you're doing is a criminal offence? Regardless as to how you justify it?

These videogame companies have put out a product that you have to pay money for in order to get

That's clearly not the case though, is it. Ha.

I'm with BT and I can still access the site, so I've no idea how they're rolling this out.

We've gotten this far in this thread and absolutely no-one has noticed that Blue Wisp is a 14-y-o Argentinian who is far less likely to have anywhere near the disposable income required to sustain a gaming hobby legitimately at standard US/EU prices, let alone the ridiculously inflated prices the industry is prone to pretty much everywhere else in the world? i.e. He can't game legitimately even if he wanted to? Making the whining about it being a criminal offence in his country academic at best?

Really?

*sigh*

(correct me if I'm wrong BW)

And Argentina isn't even that poor relatively speaking. There are situations where obtaining games legitimately is prohibitively expensive, and those situations usually involve "happens to not live in the US, EU or Japan". This is not a justification for piracy but it explains why many people worldwide just don't give a shit, and I really can't blame them. It seems SSMB members are incapable of understanding why people wouldn't care if their government labelled them as criminals, and frankly I find it alarming that you can be so short-sighted.

And with that I'm done for this topic, this court result is total bullshit because it solves nothing, yadda yadda blah blah blah, go back to the technicalities of justifying piracy if you insist.

• Thumbs Up 6

It seems SSMB members are incapable of understanding why people wouldn't care if their government labelled them as criminals, and frankly I find it alarming that you can be so short-sighted.

Your right... How dare I point out that what he's doing is illegal.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh boy, strawman arguments all up in this bitch.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 6

Your right... How dare I point out that what he's doing is illegal.

Edited by BW199148

Hey, Hogfather I thought you weren't going to post your own opinions on this topic which seems silly seeing as its pointless to create a topic and not express your own opinon on it and just judge others.

Just saying.

He didn't say that.

He didn't say that.

Yes I think he did:

I have deliberately kept my own opinions of this out of the post as I wanted it to be as impartial as possible. How do you react to this news?