Awoo.

BT ordered by a Court to block access to a pirate site

Badnik Mechanic

Hey Hogfather, I thought you weren't going to post your own opinions on this topic which seems silly seeing as its pointless to create a topic and not express your own opinon on it and just judge others.

Just saying.

EDIT: It also understand why some people aren't going to post in this topic.... <_<

Hey BW199468. If you bothered to read what I said it was this "I have deliberately kept my own opinions of this out of the post as I wanted it to be as impartial as possible. How do you react to this news?" which seemed sensible as I wanted to see what peoples initial reaction without my opinions on the matter getting in the way.

Just saying.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

In all honesty it's good that they are trying to stop piracy. If you want a movie or something that bad then work hard, earn the money for it and go buy it. People put a lot of work into music, movies, video games, etc.

Edited by Lady Lily

Hey BW199468. If you bothered to read what I said it was this "I have deliberately kept my own opinions of this out of the post as I wanted it to be as impartial as possible. How do you react to this news?" which seemed sensible as I wanted to see what peoples initial reaction without my opinions on the matter getting in the way.

Just saying.

Sorry but its pointless seeing you have kind of favour one side anyway. I would of rathe you posted your opinion because not many people are going to admit they pirate stuff because it causes a lot of heat and aggro. ;)

Edited by BW199148

Sorry but its pointless seeing you have kind of favour one side anyway. I would of rathe you posted your opinion because not many people are going to admit they pirate stuff because it causes a lot of heat and aggro. ;)

You still aren't getting it, methinks.

Edited by Tornado

You still aren't getting it.

I am going leave this topic because I am finding it really hard to articulate my words and sorry for any misunderstaning. Hogfather has better English skills and sentencing than I have and I have misinterpret what he has put.

No wonder I screwed up University, I am dumb. :(

YOU GUYS I MADE A BIG THING OF NOT POSTING ANYMORE Y U DO THIS

Your right... How dare I point out that what he's doing is illegal.

Pointing it out is totally fine.

Ignoring the fact that he doesn't care that it's illegal and whaling on him for it as though he's trying to say "oh but it is legal if I do this!" when he never said that at all makes me very glad you're neither a lawyer nor a judge.

No. I noticed but I don't particularly give a crap, just like he doesn't seem to give a crap that his entire justification for piracy is "that thing that I want is nice but I can't afford it so I'll just steal it."

There's really no way to respond to this other than "LOL I DISAGREE WITH YOUR OPINION" - and that would be solely on the grounds that I've never heard of games ever being sold with the Argentinian market in mind, which I concede has nothing to do with what has been discussed in this thread so far. And yes, it also has nothing to do with your argument either, but there's a whole lot of not caring in this thread so I guess I'll join in.

Seeing as we're on this road though and we seem to be so insistent on anti-piracy rage today in this thread, here's something similar to chew on:

What happens when it's not possible to obtain a product legally in your country but you want it anyway? (This happens all the damn time with anime for example, and is a major contributor to why illegal downloading is so widespread in that particular field, frequently with the justification of "I'll buy it as soon as it's available".) Do you accept the situation as it is or do you pirate it and get what you want knowing that you have no way to support the creators no matter what you do? Note that in this hypothetical (which again is also a reality in real life a lot of the time) importing the product from another country is also illegal, so you're legally boned either way if you want the product.

Alternately, if the product is available but you are aware that no matter how you purchase the product it will not support the original creators of the product - and this one happens sometimes too - do you pirate it then? Or do you buy the legitimate product with the knowledge that the money is going to people who had nothing to do with what you're buying - implying that the money spent is going to support something else entirely?

Both of these scenarios are cans of worms. I left them open. Enjoy the fireworks.

Oh just drop it right there. You got backed into a corner and your assumption was wrong, don't even try and spin this into another direction.

I had hoped that people would have read the post and THEN made a reply as to how they reacted to the news, mainly because with topics like this when the issue even hints at copywrite and piracy some people go off on one about how downloading/copying/obtaining material for free when you should pay for it is right cos.

The whole point of the news wasn't so much about if you agreed with illegally obtaining copywrited content or not, it was to do with a courts order to an ISP to restrict users from actually visiting a website.

Now I didn't want to open my post by saying 'why I agreed or disagreed' with that, I'm not sure I actually have openly said if I agreed with it yet or not, because I was more interested in how others reacted especially given the politics of the internet as of late with people starting organised attacks on companies who censored stuff, with the whole wikileaks fiasco earlier this year (which is still on going), the inevitable new internet laws which will come out and the laws which already have (Digital Economy Act 2010).

I didn't think it nessesary to put my own spin on the news in the openning post since just about everybody who comes online regually has an opinion of where the internet is right now with the matter of "right to access" which is why I kept it out, I said NOTHING about anything later on in the topic once people started to reply.

So again I ask. How do people react to the news that a court of law has told a private company, that it can no longer allow it's users to access a website regardless as to if they chose to download the illegal content or not.

Ignoring the fact that he doesn't care that it's illegal and whaling on him for it as though he's trying to say "oh but it is legal if I do this!" when he never said that at all makes me very glad you're neither a lawyer nor a judge.

LOL! Yeah because if I were I might actually have to enforce the law...

in all honesty it's good that they are trying to stop piracy. If you want a movie or something that bad then work hard, earn the money for it and go buy it. People put a lot of work into music, movies, video games, etc.

in all honesty it's good that they are trying to stop piracy. If you want a movie or something that bad then work hard, earn the money for it and go buy it. People put a lot of work into music, movies, video games, etc.

I think the problem that many Governments have these days is that they don't know how to monitor or control it. They have to do something about copywrited content being downloaded. But so far everything that they've done doesn't seem right, especially here in the UK.

First we get the Digital Economy Bill which restricts users download speed to pre 56k era, making it near impossible to access even emails.

But back when people used to copy CD's like crazy, does that punishment not sound like 'we'll come and take your CD players.' It doesn't to me feel like the right responce.

Now it's changing to 'we'll order the ISP's to block it's customers from even visiting a website.' Which again doesn't seem right.

You're not allowed to even visit that website because you 'might' download something you shouldn't. You're effectively punishing people for commiting no crime, call it censorship if you want, but it seems like the wrong reaction/solution to a problem.

To put it another way...

Earlier this year, lots and lots of websites went down thanks to DOS attacks, granted it was as they put it 'protesting.' Regardless if you agreed with what they did or not, it prevented you from viewing their websites and accessing information, regardless as to if you downloaded/supported/engaged with what content their site/service had on offer.

Today, the courts have more or less authorised a denial of service to a website.

Edited by Hogfather

I love how this topic has just turned into no one wanting to post anymore

Anyway I'm quite neutral on the matter of piracy, I know good and well that it is absolutely wrong though at the same time I've supported this illegal act a few times already, though really, who hasn't? I blame the governments for allowing this to get to this large of a scale, I mean it seems like they don't even give a fuck about what goes on online these days.

Just my last post before I leave this topic forevur.

They will NEVER stop piracy. As much as they would want to, every politic always says "WE WILL STOP THE PIRACY ON THE INTERNET" and blah blah blah. 80% of the politics say but don't make it. And if you want to eradicate piracy from the internet then you will eradicate 97% of the Internet.

>2 pages into this topic

>Everybody's too busy bitching about piracy to look at the big picture

what

So yeah, this here thing is bad, you see. Regardless of what your stance on piracy is*, this here is legalized censorship of the Internet in the United Kingdom. As Hogfather has stated, courts can now order around Internet service provides to block any website they deem in violation of international copyright law. (In case you didn't know, that encompasses most of the Internet.) Remember Australia's crazy-ass campaign to censor the Internet of obscenity a few years back? I doubt the UK would do anything that drastic, but this is certainly not a step in the right direction for net neutrality.

*I only pirate games that I have already purchased with my own money, seeing as I like to pay video game developers and publishers for a job well done (I also don't like breaking the law). The only reason I do pirate games is for access to their ISOs for art and model ripping, or music ripping only if they don't release an official soundtrack. It is technically illegal, but then again I technically already bought the ISO when I bought the game to begin with. :P

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's an interesting and related article I came across yesterday.

Personally I think piracy can be both good and bad but trying to stop it is always a pointless thing to do. There are two types of pirates: Those who want something but don't want to pay for it, and those who aren't sure if they want something and aren't sure if they want to pay for it. They're the bad and good types, respectively.

If you try to slap the bad type on the wrist and say "No! You can't do that!" they'll laugh and work their way around to get what they want anyway. Ban access to piracy sites? That's what proxies are for. If you try to tell the good type "Stop it! You have to buy it!", they won't buy it because they haven't decided if it's worth their money. But either way, there's no sale being made.

Let pirates run free and the big mean evil ones still aren't going to give the company their money, but the rest might wind up deeming the product worth purchasing.

"Piracy is bad and equates to stealing" is, as said in that article, an outdated look on things. When you steal something, you do hurt sales because it cost money to produce that object and there's no money made off of it. Does it cost money to right click on a couple of files and press "copy"? No. Anyone who thinks that's the same as stealing should learn a thing or two about what stealing really means.

Now I'm sure someone will read this and assume I'm a horrible, cheap bastard who loves money so very much he won't buy anything... but again, there's a good kind of pirate. I've pirated games I wasn't sure I'd buy and then I bought them because I liked them. I've downloaded albums because I'd never heard much of a band and it was so great that I wanted to support them with my money. I've watched fansubbed anime for free but the quality was so good that I either buy the show when it's possible or I buy merchandise.

Point is, trying to stop piracy is a waste of time. Legitimate criminals won't be deterred and aside from them, piracy can only help make a sale.

Now on top of this ruling being stupid for that reason, there's obviously the fact that it's censorship. It's promoting censorship and saying that it's ok, and that's absolutely a problem and doesn't sit well with me.

• Thumbs Up 3

Quite frankly, this move absolutely disgusts me; the courts using BT as a piracy scapegoat, an unwilling organisation being pressured into limiting user internet access, the users themselves being punished for piracy that most of them haven't even taken part in, the air of total distrust towards those very same users by the courts - the whole fiasco couldn't be any more pretentious, ridiculous or offensive if somebody had actively tried to make it so. If the government wants rid of piracy, then it should start at the source, not at the mouth; the real and proper way to make it all cease is not to penalise and segregate innocent users, but to have these websites forcibly shut down under international copyright law - but, of course, the government are far too lazy and narrow-minded to do this, and so have come up with a pathetic band-aid solution that temporarily solves part of the problem while insulting the intelligence of paying users and boosting their own public image.

So, why not The Pirate Bay, government? Were you too chicken to check off the real piracy hubs, or is this whole act simply self-aggrandisement at the expense of the technological rights of your citizens? And are we really not to be trusted with our own free will and free internet connections anymore, or do we all need digital chastity belts to keep us from breaking the law? I'd rather not be patronised - I'd rather be free to make my own decisions with my own resources that I've worked hard to be able to pay for. This all begs the question of what comes next - are you going to prevent select groups of citizens from going down to their local market, as they might be wanting to buy counterfeit goods, or are your SWAT teams going to storm my little sister's karaoke party and arrest us all for publicly playing copyrighted music?

The ridiculousness of the real life equivalents of what the courts have had done to BT only highlights the true nature of this entire case in itself, and one can only hope that nation-wide website blocking has a true stop put to it once and for all before Britain's internet mirrors that of China - and hopefully, people will see sense to rise against it before such extremities occur.

Edited by eXtaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

So, why not The Pirate Bay, government? Were you too chicken to check off the real piracy hubs, or is this whole act simply self-aggrandisement at the expense of the technological rights of your citizens? And are we really not to be trusted with our own free will and free internet connections anymore, or do we all need digital chastity belts to keep us from breaking the law? I'd rather not be patronised - I'd rather be free to make my own decisions with my own resources that I've worked hard to be able to pay for. This all begs the question of what comes next - are you going to prevent select groups of citizens from going down to their local market, as they might be wanting to buy counterfeit goods, or are your SWAT teams going to storm my little sister's karaoke party and arrest us all for publicly playing copyrighted music?

LOL, is all I can say to this.

It won't go as far as total internet sensorship, because, contrary to your beleifs, the UK government isn't fucking retarded.

As for this whole "is piracy moral."

Video games and software are luxuries. You don't really need them. If you can't afford them, don't buy them, until you can. At the end of the day, its just a game.

There are a lot of games I want. So many games I want. Many different types of software I desire. I can't afford it, so I just won't get it. I'll wait until I can, and economise.

It doesn't matter how much you want something. A want is a desire, not a need. Chances are, you can live without it.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 2

Quite frankly the amount of bad grammar in this topic is making my head hurt

Piracy is bad, get over yourselves.

ordering an internet provider to block sites of piracy is stupid, the court clearly aren't up to scratch with modern technology and/or what the internet is capable of (Proxy sites Etc.) so then again its just another stupid move by such a small force trying to tackle such a big problem.

they used to be like this with people pirating cinema releases by taking a video camera into a movie and recording it, they put rules and laws in place to stop that, yet somehow people are still doing it.

at the end of the day its just proof than human's are selfish and will take, and keep on taking until there is nothing left to take.

However there are ways to avoid breaking the law, if you legitimately own a hard legit copy of said game/movie you Can indeed rip it to iPods, personal media devices etc. even R4 DS Cards, only as a means of Back up only.

you can't argue the fact piracy isn't illegal because it is, and no amount of debate or bitching will change a stone cold FACT, if you have a problem with paying for something that people put a lot of money and effort into making for your viewing pleasure, then take it up with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some of us aren't rich like you, you know.

Sometimes you want X thing so much but have either no money or have the money but can't buy it. The last thing that is left is downloading it from internet.

Buuut as it seems you are rich and can buy everything you want. So yeah, not going to argue with you.

Sorry if I seem to mock you, but it's the truth.

It's not a matter of wealth. If you don't have enough money to get something, that's too bad, but when someone puts out a product, not "having enough money" is not an excuse to pirate it. It's a product put out to be sold and bought, not illegally taken. People put work into said product and NO ONE should get a free ride. Not trying to say anything bad about you, but that's an ignorant statement to make

Do I pirate stuff? I will say yes, but only when I already own the product in another form and would like to access it on my computer. Example, roms and emulators, etc. etc.

But yeah, having the Gov't come in and tell people what they can and can't access on the internet is a controversial topic. I don't agree with it personally

Quite frankly the amount of bad grammar in this topic is making my head hurt

Gosh Forbid people don't use proper grammar or make a typo or two on the interwebz :P

Edited by LunarEdge

Just popping back after noticing some comments-

No, I'm not rich or anything. I just dislike piracy. Hell, I never get pocket money for that matter-it means usually, I can't get stuff I really want. But even if I really, REALLY wanted something, I'd never pirate.

But I'm not wealthy at all, let's set that straight.

:P

In all seriousness, i'm not sure what to think about it really except wonder how many more providers will start blocking sites or how big the blocking thing is going to get. How far can they really go? What is to stop people sharing files through e-mail and things if they happen to block the file-sharing sites? Does this mean restrictions will eventually be put on personal e-mails too? I don't really think there's a way they can stop the pirating thing completely. What about streaming music? I can listen to tracks on Spotify and not have to pay a penny.

Uh, I think I lack a firm enough grasp of this business to think about it properly and give an intelligent-sounding answer. XD But those are just my thoughts. :3

• Thumbs Up 1