Awoo.

Internet Browsers and IQ

-Robin-

IE Users Have Lower IQ Than Users of Other Web Browsers [sTUDY]

A recent study links intelligence test results with browser usage — and the results don’t look good for users of Microsoft’s Internet Explorer, especially its older versions.

The study, titled “Intelligence Quotient (IQ) and Browser Usage” by Canadian company AptiQuant, compiled IQ test scores of 101,326 individuals older than the age of 16 and divided them into groups according to the browser they use.

The results are fascinating. Users of Internet Explorer 6 have an average IQ score barely more than 80; Firefox and Chrome users fare much better, with average IQ scores of around 110, while Opera and Camino users have an average IQ score more than 120.

It’s also interesting to note that average IQ scores of IE6 users were significantly higher in 2006, and that the IQ scores get better with newer versions of IE.

Internet Explorer 6 has long been a thorn in the side of developers who hated it for its non-compliance with web standards, while users struggled with its many security flaws. This new study will probably induce more mockery of the ancient (but still sometimes found on older computers) browser and its users, but it’s probably not telling us that much about the browser itself — it’s about unwillingness to upgrade to a new version of any software.

The study concludes that “individuals on the lower side of the IQ scale tend to resist a change/upgrade of their browsers.” It’s only logical that users with a higher IQ are more likely to experiment, choose a different software version or variant (notice that users of IE with Chrome frame score very high on IQ tests) or listen to upgrade suggestions and security advice.

In March, Microsoft started a campaign to get users to stop using Internet Explorer 6. But did it take into account the fact that many IE6 users tend to have lower than average IQ scores? Maybe that’s the key to finally getting rid of the world’s most hated web browser.

“Individuals on the lower side of the IQ scale tend to resist a change/upgrade of their browsers. … Now that we have a statistical pattern on the continuous usage of incompatible browsers, better steps can be taken to eradicate this nuisance,” the study concludes.

• Thumbs Up 1

lol. Nobody I know still uses IE. I got Chrome a few weeks ago because I got tired of IE's bullshit, not that I didn't want to change, I was just too lazy to download something else. Best decision ever. I don't feel smarter though, and according to this I should be an Opera/Camino user.

The results are fascinating. Users of Internet Explorer 6 have an average IQ score barely more than 80; Firefox and Chrome users fare much better, with average IQ scores of around 110, while Opera and Camino users have an average IQ score more than 120.

Edited by Hogfather

I use Opera, so I guess this makes me happy?

...I only switched to Opera when I was too lazy to fix a problem I had with Firefox, though, so yeah. I'm gonna go ahead and not feel too proud.

Who the heck still uses IE6 anymore?

I use avant browser which is IE-based but i still update my IE. fuck i couldn't stand IE6 and the problems it was giving me but i didn't want to get caught up in that IE vs firefox war I just wanted IE with more security and more features. i found AB through a google search and have been using it since.

Wait, it can't even display .pngs? O.o

It can show .png images, but if it has transparency you get a shitty gray background. I use Chrome as my main browser unless I run into that one website that is too retarded to support other browsers excluding IE. I hated IE, I was pro firefox a few years ago when I had a fansite, what worked in FF didn't work in IE, and led to me designing two different skins of the same layout, FUCK IE.

Edited by Silencer226

How much you wanna bet they'll use this in marketing?

Oh, I use Chrome, btw. I guess I'm smart. XP

Edited by T-Man

More fuel for the browser elitists' plump sense of self-entitlement, I see.

This. It's pretty ridiculous, really. Even if there's some truth in it, it's not a case of 'people who use these browsers are smarter'.

As people have said, IE is basically the standard. It's what pretty much all PCs come with. So, for anyone who isn't particularly tech-savvy, it's what they're going to use. A lot of people probably don't even know that other browsers exist. Does it make them dumb? No, it just means they're not heavy or well-informed computer users, which is hardly a crime.

On the other hand, it's the tech-savvy crowd who are much more likely to be the computer geeks. Again, not to say that anyone who uses a browser other than IE is a coding, hacking computer-whiz, but at the same time, those people have a higher chance of using non-IE browsers, because they're techy enough (and fussy enough) to find IE inadequate.

It's not 'people who use IE are dumb' per se, but rather 'nerds are more likely to use something that isn't IE'. Also, the fact that IE is so widespread skews the results of this study massively. If you look at the whole population (and not just heavy computer users), the vast majority are likely to use IE. Now, the IQ spectrum spreads vastly both ways; there are plenty of smart people out there, just as there are plenty of idiots.

To summarise? Of course the techies are going to be more likely to use a different browser, and computer-savvy nerd-types are arguably more likely to have a higher IQ (or maybe that's just a stereotype). But the thing is, when IE is so widespread, or course it's going to skew the results. It's a biased sample that serves little purpose other than to inflate the egos of people who use a browser other than Internet Explorer.

For the record, I'm on Chrome. E-PENIS!

Or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

IE Users Have Lower IQ Than Users of Other Web Browsers [sTUDY]

It seems like Internet Browsers and IQ are categories that would be completely unrelated, but the study does have a point; IE is typically the default browser used by everyone, so switching over to a new browser would indicate a person's ability to change habits and adapt to new things.

Thoughts?

... the fuck ?

I'm a gifted child and I use IE.

Screw these studies.

EDIT: Oh, I see, it's IE 6. I use IE 8.

But other versions of IE aren't talked about in that article.

So... I DON'T EXIST ? HOLY SHI*vanishes from existence*

Edited by Koopalmier
  • Thumbs Up 5

This is bull. I never trusted those "studies" anyways. Plus, IQ isn't even real.

I'll tell you why.

Everyone has a different thought process. What I'm saying is, when I was 10 my "IQ" was measured as 131, so that means I'm good at math and all that other stu...hahahaha NO.

It's hard for me to fully explain myself..

I use Firefox 4, but I'm trying to work up the energy to pack up and move to chrome because it's glitchy as hell. People always commend Firefox, and as far as security goes, it's damn good, but the interface is still a tad shoddy.

This is bull. I never trusted those "studies" anyways. Plus, IQ isn't even real.

I'll tell you why.

Everyone has a different thought process. What I'm saying is, when I was 10 my "IQ" was measured as 131, so that means I'm good at math and all that other stu...hahahaha NO.

Oh, I use Chrome, btw. I guess I'm smart. XP

Same here, bud! Even better--I switched from Opera to Firefox to Chrome.

What a waste of intelligence I am. For shaaaame~

Well think about it...who would use IE6 today? If the current IE6 users don't know they can upgrade to EVEN IE7 and get a better browsing experience then something is wrong with them.

I'm not even sure websites like Youtube and Facebook will look okay on that browser.

I'm a pro Firefox user and always will be...Firefox 4 on my laptop works well until like 5 hours and the browser is still active...which I guess can be annoying for some people, but I simply restart Firefox and everything's back to norms again.

Looks like someone still uses IE. lol, just messing with you. In all seriousness, I know exactly what you're getting at. Ever heard of Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intellegences? It's said that intellegence can be measured in at least nine basic forms of reasoning, namely musical, bodily-kinesthetic, spatial, linguistic, interpersonal, intrapersonal, naturalistic and existential. And I'm sure there are plenty even beyond that. IQ can't be boiled down to a single number when it's so radically multidimensional.

Hahaha, I see. XD I use Chrome, actually.

I used to use IE. Now I use Google Chrome. IE sucks in my opinion. But, even if this article is true....that's sad.

Chrome's userbase has a lower average IQ than that of Opera? Well, I suppose that's the penalisation that a good browser gets for going mainstream, then...

• Thumbs Up 1

Let us note that you are legally retarded if you have an IQ below 90.

Users of Internet Explorer 6 have an average IQ score barely more than 80

This has made my life.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'll tell you why.

COMPLETELY AGREES. I AGREE SO MUCH MY CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS STUCK.

I have a IQ of 130+.

I suck at everything. Like, at EVERYTHING. Well, except for a couple things (English and vidya gaemz) and even then I'm still so-so.

And I don't care about anything that's not part of my world. And I'm insanely lazy and hate working.

Also, I lose every debate, don't defend my ideas and thoughts, can't play any instrument, can't actually have friends, can't obey to anyone but myself (except if I have a gun or a banhammer pointed at me), etc.

And I'm supposed to be a gifted child. You know. An intelligent person.

Pfft. I've seen people that have a lower IQ than me and who have a much better way of reasoning, of thinking and of acting.

And who uses Firefox.

Edited by Koopalmier

COMPLETELY AGREES. I AGREE SO MUCH MY CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS STUCK.

I have a IQ of 130+.

I suck at everything. Like, at EVERYTHING. Well, except for a couple things (English and vidya gaemz) and even then I'm still so-so.

And I don't care about anything that's not part of my world. And I'm insanely lazy and hate working.

Also, I lose every debate, don't defend my ideas and thoughts, can't play any instrument, can't actually have friends, can't obey to anyone but myself (except if I have a gun or a banhammer pointed at me), etc.

And I'm supposed to be a gifted child. You know. An intelligent person.

Pfft. I've seen people that have a lower IQ than me and who have a much better way of reasoning, of thinking and of acting.

And who uses Firefox.

IQ tests are often inaccurate.

IQ tests are often inaccurate.

How can they be inaccurate ? It's the same questions for everyone, and it evaluates the same things the same way. I'm talkig about official IQ tests by the way, not some random crap you find on Internet.

Well, here I am, using Internet Explorer.

And I can spell antidisestablishmentarianism without looking it up.

What a stupid study.

• Thumbs Up 1