Awoo.

Boss battles needs to be more difficult and less obvious.

thedarkknight

Those arm's don't reach out very far. If you walk halfway across the stage, they can't reach you.

Its actually possible for a boss to be both obvious and challenging as long as the boss has some kind of weapon that guards that obviousness

Take the Egg Saucer from Sonic Advance 2 for example, it's pretty easy to determine what you have to do to beat it, but dat hand is a pain in the arse seeing as not only does it try to home in on you, but if it gets you in its palm, your instantly killed no matter how many rings you have. Plus the laser also focuses on you, but luckily you can at least destroy it instead of dealing with two evils

Is that so? I tended to try and put a small amount of space between Eggman and the edge of the screen, so I could rebound off the invisible wall and get a good 5 hits in each time I stunned him, but I'll have to try that slow and steady wins the race method next time.

I usually just wait in a corner for the target to stop bleeping, then spin-dash to the other side of the arena, let the arms shoot at me, but not reach me, and run closer to him so it falls close to him and I'm near by to get about 4 hits in.

I've not neg repped you yet... But maybe the potential reason is...

Because your argument sucks?

Do you not realise the boss fights in Sonic games have ALWAYS been easy? Going back to the days of Sonic 1? It doesn't exactly require much masterful thinking to defeat the boss.

Now your remarks in this topic are a tad daft as you're confusing reality with the mere fact that this is a videogame, you have to beat the boss, there has to be a weakpoint which is sorta obvious in someway otherwise how would you beat the boss?

Sonic isn't a videogame where you can just throw arrows at it or attack anywhere you like and it'll take health away, you have to hit a specific point which requires some sense of skill from the timing aspect of the attack.

Snake:You intentionally designed it with a weak point?

Otacon: It's not a weak point. I like to think of it as a character flaw. People just aren't complete without character flaws!

Even the might with Metal Gear Rex doesn't require a lot of thinking... It's hardly hard either... Run left until badguy stops shooting... FIRE the HEAT missile at the radome! Then... Run right until bad guy stops shooting... fire the heat missile at the radome/cockpit... SNNNNNAAAAAAKKKKEEEEEEE!!!!

Your entire argument is just plain daft, You can't have Eggman, Liquid Snake, Bowser, Dracula, Wesker with the perfect flawless machine, they have to make mistakes or have a rather obvious weakpoint. Otherwise you'll never be able to beat them, and wouldn't that be... fun?

In sonic 3 bosses(eggman bosses not mini bosses)They usually have good attacks to stop you but they also make it obvious to know how to attack it which I think should come back. It's not that its to easy to get close enough to attack it but that there's not enough good ways for the boss to fight back! The sonic unleashed daystage bosses are good examples of how a boss should fight back especially the adabat one which mixes the spagonia and mazuri boss styles together that was probably the best sonic boss in years! If your complaining that the bosses should have more armor and have something like one really small weakspot on an near impossible to reach place like a specific spot on the head then lolno I like how it is then xD Still I dont want the bosses to be as easy as the mario bosses with the exception of bowser final bosses like the kooplings.

Edited by Mephiles550

Oh god I just had a flashback to the fight against knuckles in sa1... " Oh no. Oh no. Oh no."

Thank god they aren't THAT easy anymore...

• Thumbs Up 2

Am I the only one who absolutely hated the Egg Viper? I mean... sure, it looked cool and had some cool attacks, but the method of attacking it was the stupidest thing I've ever seen in a Sonic game. Take the Egg Hornet for example, he has that move where he lunges into the floor and makes himself vulnerable. That's just as stupid as what the Egg Viper did, isn't it? ... Not really. He had already shot some missiles at Sonic and he was dodging them with ease. Eggman had a choice between exhausting his supply completely and probably not hitting Sonic even once, or taking a risk and using an attack that'll leave him vulnerable. His decision was a logical one. The Egg Viper showed that it could destroy the entire row of platforms you were standing on. Do that, and Sonic dies. Instead, what does Eggman decide to do? "Can you make it over here, Sonic?" ... NO. NO NO NO NO NO. God. That's just so freaking stupid.

Still no mention of the Egg King and Egg King Nega bosses from Sonic Rush? Those mofos were hard. Why do the second to last bosses always end up harder than the final deal, eh?

As for the topic at hand...

Egg Viper - Bar his first taunting session, the reason Eggman was so easily exposed and open to attack on a regular basis is because of the Egg Viper's flawed design when it came to the laser charging system. It had to be in that particular position in order to fire that three-pronged blast of his, but by doing so the Viper's cockpit was easily exposed, and the tail was in perfect alignment to be used as a series of stepping stones to the Doctor. Seeing as Sonic survived all of the small attacks up until that point, he was forced to resort to the big guns, even if they left him as an easy target. Presumably that specific weapon of his was a last resort of sorts, anyways.

Egg Hornet - Once again, Eggman's not intentionally leaving himself vulnerable - the Hornet's just bad by design. Presumanly, Eggman's plan with this thing was to chase and pin Sonic down, and then drill him into a gooey, bloody mess (rather grotesque, I must say). Unfortunately, it's flawed in that if he happens to miss his spiky blue target, he's stuck drilling into the ground completely defenseless for a few seconds until he can rev his engines the heck out of there. The Hornet's missiles would have only gotten him so far, anyways.

Diablon + Sonic - It's neither Sonic's nor the Commander's fault that Shadow's crafty in that regard. Sonic can't really help that Shadow's skilled with the Homing Attack, now can he?

Silver - This one's easy. If you've played either Sonic the Hedgehog or the Sonic Rivals games, you would know that Silver's telekinesis requires a lot of concentration. The very use of his psychic powers is mentally draining on him, to the point of which overuse leaves him nearly immobile. There's simply no way that he'd be able to break out of that psychokinetic state quickly enough to avoid Sonic or Shadow's attacks (two of the fastest individuals on the planet, I may add) - this is even evident in his gameplay habits.

So yeah, there's actually valid plot reasons as to why those vulnerabilities exist. The moar you know~!

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 2

The bosses needs to be changed to be enjoyable and less obvious. I believe the current boss battles are too lame and obvious

Examples:

Sonic and the Commander (StH), easy use Homing attack on Sonic and then on the Commander.

IMO boss battles cannot be less obvious because they need to have a weak point. And they can't be to hard/cheap because they become frustrating. I prefer if they had more variety in their attack/movement sequences and where more fun to fight against.

By this logic, Eggman should just lock all the entrances to his bases and make them bombproof.

Bingo, Sonic can't get in. Eggman is unstoppable. Wouldn't make for a very fun game though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually since bosses need to be harder, Eggman should just use a shotgun, I mean it would be the hardest boss ever, one hit instantly kills you, you automatically get a game over, and when I say game over I mean it as the game shuts down completely, hard enough for ya.

Colors last boss, All Advance Bosses, and Unleashed Day bosses handled this nicely. Sa2 Sonic bosses also did the best job of this. They didn't act retarded and give give you a free suckerpunch, they actually tried to avoid all types of open points, but were still SOMEHOW attackable without it being so easily seen. And I agree. But! Rush had the best bosses of all time.

I think what people want are bosses that have a less obvious weak point, rather than harder difficulty. I can respect that, I always found bosses better when I have to figure out how to beat them, rather than having the weak point staring me in the face.

• Thumbs Up 1

About Viper. Anyone new he was charging laser when he let you attack him :P I think next time I will let him do it.

Secon thing I dont think Silver boss from 06 is good example. It was broken game.

But I think Generations is going in good route. While bosses will be easy for first time. There will be "hard mode" for them.

I think what people want are bosses that have a less obvious weak point, rather than harder difficulty. I can respect that, I always found bosses better when I have to figure out how to beat them, rather than having the weak point staring me in the face.

This so much. THIS!

But I think Generations is going in good route. While bosses will be easy for first time. There will be "hard mode" for them.

Where'd you get that from? huh.gif

Well from leaks. While every stage has 5 "you know what" bosses have "difficulty mode" for them.

Exactly, how else are you supposed to hurt him?

The bosses can't be "DIE YOU SON OF A BITCH" hard, because then we have shit like the Sonic 4 final boss, ridiculously cheap.

Am I the only one that found that boss strangely easy...?

Its not bad once you've seen what he's got. Plus the whole thing is fairly generous compared to the zero ring, tiny hit-box version of the boss in Sonic 2. Still alot of people seem to have trouble with him. Same goes for Silver in 06 really. He's a pushover once you know his moveset. A little patience goes a long way.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I like the idea of having to think to beat a boss. It compliments Eggman's intelligence more that way.

I like the idea of having to think to beat a boss. It compliments Eggman's intelligence more that way.

Except then we'd have to learn when we have the chance to attack, his attack patterns themselves, even then, when we know how to attack him, it'll be the exact same obvious boss. We'd probably only really have to "Think" The first time.

And I'd rather not try to use a characters personality as an excuse to change boss battles way more then they need be, the only exception is when they'd be really stupid. Like the Egg-Wyvern and Egg-Viper.

Bosses should be obvious enough to figure out eventually, bust still challenging enough to be fun, and not overly easy. I liked Adventure's bosses (both games) and the ones in Unleashed were quite thrilling, and required plenty of hits to get the job done. At least do the later from now on, is what I'm hoping.