Awoo.

wtf is wrong with sonic's mouth nowadays?

McGroose

What bothers me is that SEGA tries to make the renders so detailed that they look weird. Like the overly detailed gloves they've beeen doing in recent years. Why can't the just be white? Or Sonic's fur. It looks like clay where someone used a knife to carve some texture into it. You can see this really well on the M&S3 boxart.

Yeah, Modern Sonic's mouth is really awkward looking on some of his renders but on some it doesn't. Like on the Sonic 4 render, he doesn't look half as awkward as the SG render.

Edited by RedCap-BlueSpikes

The lighting and pose can work wonders to make official art look good. It isn't quite as important in 2D art though. Both can look good, but it's a bit harder to make the CG models actually do that.

1177430-sonic_the_hedgehog__mario_and_sonic_at_the_olympic_winter_games__super.jpg

sonic_generations_trailer_screenshot.jpg

I like how Sonic looks in both of these pictures a lot. The lack of that stupid lower lip may have something to do with it. d:

I don't like Sonic's mouth either, I mean, how am I supposed to make out with my Sonic poster if his mouth isn't in the middle? It's just too akward for me, that's why I make out with my Tails poster instead.

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm amazed this thread lasted three pages without this showing up:

aah.png

And let's not even start on Eggman's 2D teeth in ShTH, or the fugly frontmouths in '06.

That's going to give me nightmares...

• Thumbs Up 1

Dissident is pretty much speaking the truth.

Sonic's lower lip makes his smile look weird, even forced sometimes (and it looks like he has a gun pointed to him on Sonic 4's title screen).

I've never found Sonic's mouth on recent models all that awkward, and it's served him well 99% of the time. I'm opposed to a front mouth; always thought that looked weird, with Sonic 06 being the main perpetrator.

It's personally never bothered me. I appreciate the more attention to detail. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm amazed this thread lasted three pages without this showing up:

Maybe that happened because everyone preferred to spare themselves the never-ending horror.

And thanks Ishtar, I really needed to witness that abomination twice.

Dissident is pretty much speaking the truth.

Sonic's lower lip makes his smile look weird, even forced sometimes (and it looks like he has a gun pointed to him on Sonic 4's title screen).

This man speaks truth about the other man speaking truth.

Edited by Devourer of Unhappiness
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm amazed at how single detail in one's lower lip can cause 4 pages of talk.

I have succeeded with this topic then.

Also it doesn't look as odd in game or in CG/CGI cutscenes

I preferred his mouth being nonexistent when not in use, and in the middle when speaking.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why are there 4 pages about this??

Because were Sonic Heroes.

I preferred his mouth being nonexistent when not in use, and in the middle when speaking.

This is pretty much my opinion really.

• Thumbs Up 1

Do most characters in the sonic series have side mouths? Tails has a regular mouth, Amy sometimes(or most times) Knuckles,Silver and shadow have side mouths. What do you guys think?

Side mouth: Sonic, Knuckles, Shadow, Rouge, Silver, Espio

Centre mouth: Tails, Amy, Cream, Charmy, Blaze

Other: Babylon Rogues, Vector, Big, Robots

The cooler/more mature characters have a side mouth, and the cuter/younger ones have a centre mouth. Blaze is the only character who's position is questionable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I never had a problem with the detail on Sonic's mouth until people pointed it out. If nobody had brought it up, it would never have bugged me, because I would never have looked that close. It just wasn't something that stood out. Having said that, it still doesn't really bother me, 'cept for the fact that I can't help but look for it every time I see a new Sonic render now.

As far as the better Sonic smile, I don't mind his closed-mouth one, but too many of them starts to make him look a little too... chill? nonchalant? modest? I can't pinpoint it, but point being I think we need little more pearly-white, look-at-me smiles like this one:

Sonicridersgrin.jpg

EDIT: Now that I look at it I also like how many of Sonic's quills you see in this shot, he actually kind of looks like a hedgehog.

Edited by DC111
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think Sonic's mouth is a hideous scar on the face of this fanbase and whoever agrees with me clearly is a superior being, because then that means by removing the mouth he will not speak at all and thus everyone will clearly be happy, stupid mouths, what use are they for anyway?

I never really minded, I thought it was to indicate a cheeky smirk. Also that since he was originally drawn in 2D they had to put the mouth on the side. Also, those picture of swapping the Sonic's mouthes: Classic Sonic with Moderns's mouth is terrifying.

I didn't think it looked weird until Classic Sonic came along with a better mouth, and when they gave him an upper lip on the Joypolis figure. When you see it in 3D it just looks creepy. Here's a quick mouth swap I did. Naturall C.Sonic's mouth is a bit short and looks slightly odd on M.Sonic, but I couldn't be bother to adjust it. Hopefully it shows how I think M.Sonic's mouth is just weird looking.

swapmouths.png

EDIT: Okay, M.Sonic looks fucking scary with C's mouth as I've done it there. Gonna go fix...

EDIT2: Screw it.

I'm sorry, but Classic Sonic with Modern's Mouth and Vice Versa is hilariously atrocious.

I must admit though, dat lip Modern Sonic has is starting to bother me, I prefer is toothy grins a lot more. Such as on the Generations Boxart.

_-Sonic-Generations-PS3-_.jpg

I'm sorry, but Classic Sonic with Modern's Mouth and Vice Versa is hilariously atrocious.

Classic Sonic is supposed to look really bad with Modern's mouth. I just got lazy and couldn't be bothered to properly size and position Classic's mouth on Modern.

Except with the extreme Mr. Nike mouth, I haven't really thought there was anything wrong with his mouth. I'm not even focusing on how Sonic looks on the art anyway, I worry more towards the game itself (if the art is for a game). Any other time I won't really worth, but will point out some things. Not much lol.

About the mouth switches, of course they're gonna look weird when switched because each one was made with different things in mind.

Classic Sonic is chubby, including his face so he has cheeks that sort of overflow over his mouth a little when he smirks.

Modern Sonic is slim, and his face is way less chubby, so that's why his mouth looks the way it does.

It can also just be chalked up to different styles.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

Doesn't center mouths indicate that the characters are younger/cuter? But I do question the addition of center mouths on Amy and Blaze. They are already teenagers. o3o Albeit young ones (12 and 14). So girls get it later than boys? Or are we just thinking too much into this? Amy and Blaze would look akward with side-mouths anyway.

Doesn't center mouths indicate that the characters are younger/cuter? But I do question the addition of center mouths on Amy and Blaze. They are already teenagers. o3o Albeit young ones (12 and 14). So girls get it later than boys? Or are we just thinking too much into this? Amy and Blaze would look akward with side-mouths anyway.

Quoting my post from just a little above...

Side mouth: Sonic, Knuckles, Shadow, Rouge, Silver, Espio

Centre mouth: Tails, Amy, Cream, Charmy, Blaze

Other: Babylon Rogues, Vector, Big, Robots

The cooler/more mature characters have a side mouth, and the cuter/younger ones have a centre mouth. Blaze is the only character who's position is questionable.

It's definitely a way of designing the characters to look cute or cool, and also just what looks better on them. Like you say, Blaze would look awkward with a side-mouth.

Edited by Blue Blood