Awoo.

wtf is wrong with sonic's mouth nowadays?

McGroose

Big has a center mouth =U

Yes, but his mouth is different to anyone else's. He has a mouth that's always there and differently shaped. In Heroes, he's the only one with a centre mouth.

Yes, but his mouth is different to anyone else's. He has a mouth that's always there and differently shaped. In Heroes, he's the only one with a centre mouth.

Didn't everyone have a centre mouth in Heroes? At least outside of the CG scenes.

Didn't everyone have a centre mouth in Heroes? At least outside of the CG scenes.

That's what I'm talking about- the CG scenes.

That's what I'm talking about- the CG scenes.

I think that might be because Big's design and head structure are completely different from Sonic's, so maybe that's why?

I think that might be because Big's design and head structure are completely different from Sonic's, so maybe that's why?

tl;dr.

I mostly like his Riders face where it was more of the center placed, and a little below his nose. But I still don't care.

It doesn't bother me, for a long time I didn't notice there was anything different, but actually, I now do notice one thing, they've added one little thing to his model in 2010 that he didn't have before...

He has lips, now I can somewhat understand that some think this looks off, it still doesn't look awkward to me, but I guess I 'get it'.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 years later...

While he looks pretty dopey there, I'd still much rather have that than...this...

LaagBjl.png

eugh

• Thumbs Up 7

A camera goof of putting his mouth on the other side of what's facing you does look pretty silly (unless if he's meant to be shocked or talking lowly or something), but center mouth always looks bad on Sonic to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

While he looks pretty dopey there, I'd still much rather have that than...this...

LaagBjl.png

eugh

The occasional mistake does not justify the return of doofadorpdoy Sonic.

What makes it strange is that Tails, Knuckles, and Amy all have central mouths.
Not Knuckles. The general rule is that the younger or cuter characters has a centre mouth, while the orders and/or cool ones have a side mouth. Side: Sonic, Knuckles, Rouge, Shadow, Espio, Silver Centre: Tails, Amy, Cream, Charmy, Blaze And then of course there's the obvious exceptions where necessary, like Vector. I really, really do not see the problem with the side mouth. If anything, it looks a million times better than a centre mouth on Sonic. That one screenshot Dio posted is of a very occasional slip-up where his mouth isn't facing the camera, and even then it doesn't look too bad.
  • Thumbs Up 1

A camera goof of putting his mouth on the other side of what's facing you does look pretty silly (unless if he's meant to be shocked or talking lowly or something), but center mouth always looks bad on Sonic to me.

I still can't wrap my head around how a mouth being where a mouth is supposed to be looks bad. Does it look bad on Tails or Amy or any other front-mouth characters in the series, or just Sonic?

The reason it looks weird is because we're concerning ourselves with subjective design principles and not real anatomy, hence why no one really argues that Sonic should be brown or have a significantly bigger abdominal capacity or have hundreds of spines instead of six. There are many character designs that base their appeal on anatomical properties not being accurate at all times. Mickey Mouse's ears cannot work in real life as they're instructed to by Disney. Goofy's leg and arm joints are always painfully broken in his classic walk cycles. Rigby's face whenever he faces forward or looks up is hilariously impossible. Cartoon characters; how do they work? (read: they don't. xP)

• Thumbs Up 4

Its still pretty disconcerting that his mouth only faces one side of the camera, admittedly though its a perspective fuck up so I can't say they should change it.

Looks okay to me. I guess the closed mouth smile gets a bit awkward though, the more I look at it. 

The reason it looks weird is because we're concerning ourselves with subjective design principles and not real anatomy, hence why no one really argues that Sonic should be brown or have a significantly bigger abdominal capacity or have hundreds of spines instead of six. There are many character designs that base their appeal on anatomical properties not being accurate at all times. Mickey Mouse's ears cannot work in real life as they're instructed to by Disney. Goofy's leg and arm joints are always painfully broken in his classic walk cycles. Rigby's face whenever he faces forward or looks up is hilariously impossible. Cartoon characters; how do they work? (read: they don't. xP)

Sonic doesn't have just 6 or 8 spines. He does in fact have thousands of quills. They are just stylized and clumped together into 6 or 8 spikes. I thought this was obvious.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic doesn't have just 6 or 8 spines. He does in fact have thousands of quills. They are just stylized and clumped together into 6 or 8 spikes. I thought this was obvious.

It's actually not obvious because there's really no definitive proof this is the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's actually not obvious because there's really no definitive proof this is the case.

I really reaching for straws with this one. In Sonic Generations when Modern and Classic mistake each other for their respective reflections They, at one point, comb their quills back into one big clump. This isn't definitive proof by any stretch of the imagination, I just think it should be noted.

This is the cutscene I'm talking about.

But there's no stray hairs or quills being visually put back into place. They're brushing back the large spines they already have, which is more likely just a generic, cartoony gesture of grooming they had the characters do and not necessarily indicative of anything concerning how their hair actually works.

I think it's also worth noting that some of Sonic's early concept art depicted him with quills visually branching off from the main spines.

Not to mention in the Sonic Boom preview, two quills are visually branched off from the main spines.

They're not individual strands, though. It's a generic rough texture along the existing quills.