Awoo.

Look at this!

Dreadknux

What was the reason for them doing that?

Doing it any other way takes awhile for the avi that I choose to appear.

It was removed for security reasons. I was upset about the URL avatars too, and Matt (founder of IP.Board) gave me that answer. If I wasn't lazy I would go back and give you more details why. But yeah.

It was removed for security reasons. I was upset about the URL avatars too, and Matt (founder of IP.Board) gave me that answer.

Oh, really now?

It seems a bit of an overreaction to disallow offsite avatars completely just because you can fake an image file and use it to inject malware. (You have to write the malevolent code in such a way that it's read like image data. Clever, and actually used fairly often in phishing scams.) This is especially true when you can do the exact same thing with signatures and they never changed those.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like something clairifed. a few days ago, a mod that was posting in a topic posted this:

Just cause neg rep is abolished doesn't excuse you acting like a douche.

Oh, really now?

It seems a bit of an overreaction to disallow offsite avatars completely just because you can fake an image file and use it to inject malware. (You have to write the malevolent code in such a way that it's read like image data. Clever, and actually used fairly often in phishing scams.) This is especially true when you can do the exact same thing with signatures and they never changed those.

Not really. Signatures are not shown within the Admin CP (well they are, but in code)...as for avatars and photos, they are (or "were" for avatars). You may think it's a small thing but for IPS, they don't want to leave a security hole anywhere. They want to keep their software clean and secure as possible.

Also they merged avatars and photos because for other forums that uses IP.Board, members get confused between the both of them. Why use to images to represent themselves they ask? I personally think it's dumb they merged the avatar system with photos but hey, what can we do. We have to live with it whether we like it or not.

Not really. Signatures are not shown within the Admin CP (well they are, but in code)...as for avatars and photos, they are (or "were" for avatars). You may think it's a small thing but for IPS, they don't want to leave a security hole anywhere. They want to keep their software clean and secure as possible.

Also they merged avatars and photos because for other forums that uses IP.Board, members get confused between the both of them. Why use to images to represent themselves they ask? I personally think it's dumb they merged the avatar system with photos but hey, what can we do. We have to live with it whether we like it or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's not bullshit. On IP.Board 3.1 (version before this), in the Admin CP when we edit ANY member that has used remote URL, instead of showing it, they replace it with this image:

remote_avatar.png

They removed the whole remote URL thing now because of the merge of both avatars and photos. People asked if we can put the remote URLs on photos, but it will just add more if statements to the script. They want to keep the whole thing simple.

It's not bullshit. On IP.Board 3.1 (version before this), in the Admin CP when we edit ANY member that has used remote URL, instead of showing it, they replace it with this image:

remote_avatar.png

They removed the whole remote URL thing now because of the merge of both avatars and photos. People asked if we can put the remote URLs on photos, but it will just add more if statements to the script. They want to keep the whole thing simple.

Whatever thats just for IPB devs it doesn't mean we the users of IPB brand boards have to live with it. The board can be modded to get some of our older features back from 3.1 which i'm sure the admins are working on.

Edited by goku262002

Well while it's possible for them to put URL enabled photos back using a mod (they have to pay for it though and will be less secure), we cannot have avatars and photos separate like we used to unless the SSMB admins knows how to develop hooks.

Edited by Crystaline Starlight

I dont mind avatars and photos being the same.

I just prefer updating my photo via URL so I dont have to wait for it to show up.

• 2 weeks later...

Eh, I don't liek that skin, Dreadknux D:

It basically is the actual skin with custom colors - and banners. Will the past skins get any update?

- Vinyl Scratch

I don't mind too much (though I just joined. :P) I think it coincides nicely with Sonic Generations (which also has a white background,) and is possibly the inspiration behind it (though I could be wrong.)