Awoo.

How did Sonic and friends get to Earth?

sideswipe312

I know this might sound be a dumb question. I might be missing some information. I remember in Sonic X how Eggman caused chaos control and sent them all to earth, but already said, it's not canon.

I'm actually not sure if the planet Sonic and gang live on is actually Earth. I have this strange assumption Sega wants us to think that Green Hill exits on the same planet as City Escape does. I think everything we've seen in the games is supposed to be on this one big planet. Especially since in Generations, all the main titles are being treated like they connect to each other.

Sonic X universe and the Games universe are not the same canon. Therefore, they are not interchangeable with each other and what happens in one universe has nothing to do with what happens with the other.

"Mobius" doesn't exist in the game universe. Neither does the Sonic X character's unnamed homeworld. The planet in the games has always been Earth.

• Thumbs Up 1

Almost all canons seem to agree/suggest that Sonic and co are native to Earth. Even in the canons that suggest Sonic's world is called Mobius, it's still a future Earth. Sonic X was the exception, not the norm.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Sonic X is very different from the game storyline.

In the video games, the series has simply always taken place on Earth, and the unnamed "Sonic's planet" from Sonic X is a pure invention of the anime series with no roots in game canon.

Based on this, there's really no origin story for how Sonic and his friends "got to Earth," because they were simply born and raised there.

• Thumbs Up 2

In the video games, the series has simply always taken place on Earth, and the unnamed "Sonic's planet" from Sonic X is a pure invention of the anime series with no roots in game canon.

Haven't watch Sonic X in quite a long time but wasn't there a moment in which Sonic mentions how the stars in the sky are the same from his world, suggesting that it was also earth, but from a different time? (probably the future, similar to how it was handled in the OVA)

They didn't get to Earth, they're from Earth. The continuities from the classics (western version), TV shows and comics that all talk about Mobius and such are completely non-canon. There's also no real explanation for the lack of other anthro-characters besides the main cast.

Haven't watch Sonic X in quite a long time but wasn't there a moment in which Sonic mentions how the stars in the sky are the same from his world, suggesting that it was also earth, but from a different time? (probably the future, similar to how it was handled in the OVA)

I think Sonic's homeworld in X is just in another dimension with a very different rate of time-flow.

They didn't get to Earth, they're from Earth. The continuities from the classics (western version), TV shows and comics that all talk about Mobius and such are completely non-canon. There's also no real explanation for the lack of other anthro-characters besides the main cast.

The TV shows and comics aren't 'non-canon', just non-game-canon. They are canon unto themselves as legitimate separate Sonic-based universes. However, I'm assuming the OP is referring solely to game canon. But even in most of those canons, Mobius is still technically Earth, just in the future and with a new name.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic X and the real game universe are completely different universes.

In the game universe, Sonic and friends have always been native to, and lived on Earth. The whole game universe is set on Earth. They never went to Earth, since they have simply always been on Earth from the get go.

And about the contrasting areas in the games...Sonic's world is crazy. It's filled with things like green hills, futuristic cities and ruins simultaneously. Heck, scientists were able to create research colonies in space 50 years prior to Shadow The Hedgehog.

Edited by Neon

The TV shows and comics aren't 'non-canon', just non-game-canon. They are canon unto themselves as legitimate separate Sonic-based universes. However, I'm assuming the OP is referring solely to game canon. But even in most of those canons, Mobius is still technically Earth, just in the future and with a new name.

As am I referring to game canon, therefore making anything else non-canon. And then SEGA and Sonic Team do not recognise other continuities as canon to main series. They're essentially just remnants of the split continuities from the old days.

Originally, he always was on Earth. Further supported by City Escape being in San Francisco.

But then in Shadow The Hedgehog, we saw a world map that proves it's not Earth, but a Earth-lookalike planet with similar locations. However, CGI cutscenes still show Earth.

Since Sonic Unleashed, the planet's name is not known, just being called "Sonic's world" and having a totally different world map. There are locations similar to the real world, but with different names.

In Sonic 4, it's somewhat of a cross-over. The map looks like Earth's, but very deformated, and with a lot of land between South America and Asia. Also, it's just one big continent.

In Sonic Unleashed, we're yet again back at SU's planet.

So, Sonic's planet has been retconned many times (Mario's too, but that doesn't need to be talked about here... sadly for me). First, it was our planet. Then, it was a Earth-lookalike planet. Then, it was a completely different planet. Then it went back to being a Earth-lookalike (but with much more land, probably to fit Sonic Unleashed's countries like Mazuri), but Sonic Colors uses SU's version.

EDIT: As for other SEGA-made continuities...

Sonic X: Sonic and co live in another world, that has different laws than Earth (Chaos Emeralds, anthropomorphic animals, etc) but is still very similar (may have the same world map, even). Note that it and Earth were the same planet long ago. Also, Eggman is born on Earth, but somehow ended up in Sonic's world. One thing is sure, there are no humans or cars in Sonic's world.

Sonic OVA: Sonic's world is a future, post-apocalyptic Earth, renamed Freedom.

Edited by Koopalmier

Originally, he always was on Earth. Further supported by City Escape being in San Francisco.

City Escape isn't San Francisco, it's just based on it.

But then in Shadow The Hedgehog, we saw a world map that proves it's not Earth, but a Earth-lookalike planet with similar locations. However, CGI cutscenes still show Earth.

It's Earth. An alternative Earth to the place we live. Furthermore, in ShTH you're just looking at quick pieces of background art that were made to be practical rather than examined fully.

Since Sonic Unleashed, the planet's name is not known, just being called "Sonic's world" and having a totally different world map. There are locations similar to the real world, but with different names.

Again, Earth. Same planet as SA2, S1 and all the other games.

In Sonic 4, it's somewhat of a cross-over. The map looks like Earth's, but very deformated, and with a lot of land between South America and Asia. Also, it's just one big continent.

Exactly the same deal as with ShTH. It's just a quick background graphic.

So, Sonic's planet has been retconned many times (Mario's too, but that doesn't need to be talked about here... sadly for me). First, it was our planet. Then, it was a Earth-lookalike planet. Then, it was a completely different planet. Then it went back to being a Earth-lookalike (but with much more land, probably to fit Sonic Unleashed's countries like Mazuri), but Sonic Colors uses SU's version.

It's an alternative Earth- always has been. It's just never had a consistent design due to the constantly changing nature of the series. S2? Earth. SA1? Earth. Unleashed? Earth. Heroes? Still Earth. It really doesn't make sense, but that's just what it is.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

City Escape isn't San Francisco, it's just based on it.

One of Shadow's lost lines is "This place reminds me of San Francisco".

It's Earth. An alternative Earth to the place we live. Furthermore, in ShTH you're just looking at quick pieces of background art that were made to be practical rather than examined fully.

Yet a part of it fits with SA2's map. Also, "alternative Earth" doesn't make a single bit of sense to me.

It's an alternative Earth- always has been. It's just never had a consistent design due to the constantly changing nature of the series. S2? Earth. SA1? Earth. Unleashed? Earth. Heroes? Still Earth. It really doesn't make sense, but that's just what it is.

How can it be Earth when its name is purposedly not said, and when its map is nothing like Earth's ?

Also, I still can't understand the idea of an "alternate Earth". If it's an alternate Earth, then it's not our Earth, then it's not our planet.

How can it be Earth when its name is purposedly not said, and when its map is nothing like Earth's ?

Also, I still can't understand the idea of an "alternate Earth". If it's an alternate Earth, then it's not our Earth, then it's not our planet.

It's not exactly our Earth, of course, because of humanoid animals running all around in crazy zones... but it's clearly supposed to be identifiable with our world through the constant use of international themes (places clearly based on Earth countries and cultures) and historical/mythological themes from our identifiable history (the Storybook games for example). I don't see what's so difficult to grasp about an alternate Earth.

• Thumbs Up 2

Superman lives on Earth. Bugs Bunny lives on Earth. Goku lives on Earth. While none of these planets are meant to be a literal representation of our reality, that doesn't mean they're a completely different planet ala Mars.

• Thumbs Up 7

They're fictional. Nothing stops them from having stuff from Earth (considering that it's the planet we live on, duh).

I guess Mario's planet counts as an alternate Earth as well...

But, if a planet isn't exactly like our's, I still can't see how can it be our Earth. A similar planet we can identify our world to, yes.

Link please.

Yet a part of it fits with SA2's map. Also, "alternative Earth" doesn't make a single bit of sense to me.

Show me where the maps match up. And alternative Earth means "It's Earth, but not literally".

In the real Earth, there's no blue hedgehogs either. It's not supposed to be set in the real world, but an alternative one.

EDIT: Ninja'd by other people who have explained it better, but you still don't seem to be listening. By you logic, no work of fiction can be set on Earth because those things aren't real.

Edited by Blue Blood

But, if a planet isn't exactly like our's, I still can't see how can it be our Earth. A similar planet we can identify our world to, yes.
It's not "our" Earth, but it's still Earth. Imagine if you wrote a fictional story about a person who actually existed. Let's just say George Washington as a superhero. Now, obviously, it wouldn't be "our" George Washington, because, unless the historians have been keeping some secrets from us, the real Washington didn't have super strength and heat vision. But it's still correct to identify him as George Washington, right? Just an alternate version, a fictional version. The same is true of the Earth in the Sonic series.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Actually, that happens to be one of Omochao's lines, not Shadow's. He makes that remark if you happen to carry him through the Goal Ring in White Jungle. It's also worth noting that San Francisco isn't the only familiar place that also exists in their world; the President of the United Federation meets the Chief Cabinet Secretary of Japan during Shadow's expert training in Shadow the Hedgehog, and the Mission Street featured in Sonic Adventure 2 is a real-world location.

As for the topic at hand, Sonic and co. have always lived on a planet by the name of Earth. Sonic X and Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog comics take place within entirely different universes, so they're a moot point in regards to the games.

Edited by HunterTSF