Awoo.

How did Sonic and friends get to Earth?

sideswipe312

Sonic Chronicles isn't canon. tongue.gif

It still could be semi-canon. Edited by Darkfox

I don't care what AAUK says. He is only a low-level toady for Sega of Europe. He doesn't work for Sega of Japan so I don't take what he says seriously.

Here's another video. Chip refers to the planet as the "Earth".

"The earth you tread" doesn't refer to the planet name, it refers to the dirt. Don't get me wrong, I'd also say Sonic was from Earth, but that isn't an example of planet Earth being used. :/

"The earth you tread" doesn't refer to the planet name, it refers to the dirt. Don't get me wrong, I'd also say Sonic was from Earth, but that isn't an example of planet Earth being used. :/

The name which Chip gives soil, "Earth", derives from our planet's name. That was kind of what i was getting at.

The name which Chip gives soil, "Earth", derives from our planet's name. That was kind of what i was getting at.

I actually always wondered- did the dirt name the planet or the planet name the dirt?

I'd say Earth, in the sense of dirt, likely came before the very notion of a planet itself.

I realise I'm a bit late to respond to this, but...

They're fictional. Nothing stops them from having stuff from Earth (considering that it's the planet we live on, duh).

I guess Mario's planet counts as an alternate Earth as well...

But, if a planet isn't exactly like our's, I still can't see how can it be our Earth. A similar planet we can identify our world to, yes.

Mario's planet, apparantly, according to the Mario Wiki, is called Mushroom World (note I said 'World', and the 'Mushroom Kingdom' is ON that 'World'). Earth exists within the Mario universe, but actually as Earth, not a fictional version. Many of the human characters in the Mario series (like the ones in the golf games) come from Earth, not Mushroom World.

But that's beside the point, this is about Sonic and his world. Heh, 'His World'...

In the western world of Sonic, Sonic lives on Mobius, said so by SEGA of America when making the Sonic Bible in 1991. And in Japan it was Earth.

Yeah Sonic is on Earth for the hundredth time. You're all so correct today! Though to be honest I prefer him on a planet of his own. The more fantasy the world the better for me. Regardless of what the old games meant to accomplish the setting did not resemble planet Earth, as opposed to Unleashed let's say. It was something far more fantastic. Planet Freedom from the OVA despite hinting at an apocalyptic Earth, was still a world changed by something, into Sonic's own world of loops and checkers. Sonic does not own his world anymore. There are no more Spring Yard zones, just corkscrews on civilian highways. Even if his world was a mistake in the '90s, it was better dammit. I miss Mobius the way it used to be. I don't care if it's canon or not.

Edited by Dabnikz

Yeah Sonic lives on Earth for the hundredth time. You're all so correct today! Though to be honest I prefer him on a planet of his own. The more fantasy the world the better for me. Regardless of what the old games meant to accomplish the setting did not resemble planet Earth, as opposed to Unleashed let's say. It was something far more fantastic. Planet Freedom from the OVA despite hinting at an apocalyptic Earth, was still a world changed by something, into Sonic's own world of loops and checkers. Sonic does not own his world anymore. There are no more Spring Yard zones, just corkscrews on civilian highways. Even if his world was a mistake in the '90s, it was better dammit. I miss Mobius the way it used to be. I don't care if it's canon or not.

So what's stopping Sonic team from making more fantasy environments?

Absolutely nothing and it's absurd to think that it's the reason why we haven't seen any fantasy environments and Sonic having a planet of his own does not change the fact that city levels based on speed will have " corkscrews on civilian highways" and the setting being on earth doesn't limit designers to ONLY use realistic settings. Take into consideration that all of the portable games happen on earth (sans Rush Adventure) and they have many of the features you apparently miss and as for the three major main series games that don't have this influence they have reasons as to why they don't. Sonic the Hedgehog was supposed to be a "Sonic in real life" type of game and it's art style reflected that while Sonic unleashed was a "world adventure" (environments, cultures, people) and it stuck to its concept and even then we only got to see ONE SMALL AREA of each of the seven selected countries but the differences between them caused them to stand out more which was the point, and finally Sonic Colors took place on Eggman’s interstellar amusement park which consisted of various altered alien worlds. So each of these main series games have reasons as to why the fantasy Earth concept wasn't the basis behind the art direction. So with generations around the corner (and it has a lot of fantasy earth settings) I think it's safe to say that the art direction for the next major game is going to be more in line with the other Sonic titles.

In short Sonic's Earth =/= Our earth in anyway shape or form (well maybe the shape lol) and this means we can have absurd environments with giant fauna and huge alligators chasing us next to our Central City/ City Escape like areas and that be the norm for this earth.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah Sonic is on Earth for the hundredth time. You're all so correct today! Though to be honest I prefer him on a planet of his own. The more fantasy the world the better for me. Regardless of what the old games meant to accomplish the setting did not resemble planet Earth, as opposed to Unleashed let's say. It was something far more fantastic. Planet Freedom from the OVA despite hinting at an apocalyptic Earth, was still a world changed by something, into Sonic's own world of loops and checkers. Sonic does not own his world anymore. There are no more Spring Yard zones, just corkscrews on civilian highways. Even if his world was a mistake in the '90s, it was better dammit. I miss Mobius the way it used to be. I don't care if it's canon or not.

Edited by Julian Kintobor

An imaginary world is easily a subject to retcon. Recently, the name of Sonic's planet has stopped being mentionned, and the map of Sonic's planet in Sonic Unleashed and Colors looks completely different from Earth, so maybe that Sonic's planet has be retconned into nor being an alternate Earth anymore, but a new, different planet.

Just maybe.

My favourite version of events is that Mobius is a future Earth. I like Sonic's world being known as Mobius, but have long since accepted that it's not called that in the games.

My favourite version of events is that Mobius is a future Earth.

Yeah, though even the Earth of the video games is still far more futuristic than our own. With floating monitor street signs, a robot-enforced military, space colonies, flying cars (in Grand Metropolis at least), and other fantastic technology, Sonic's Earth is clearly not meant to simply be Earth in the present day. While it still bears the name "Earth" rather than "Mobius," it's arguably the most futuristic portrayal of the planet across all continuities (barring maybe the OVA).

Yeah, though even the Earth of the video games is still far more futuristic than our own. With floating monitor street signs, a robot-enforced military, space colonies, flying cars (in Grand Metropolis at least), and other fantastic technology, Sonic's Earth is clearly not meant to simply be Earth in the present day. While it still bears the name "Earth" rather than "Mobius," it's arguably the most futuristic portrayal of the planet across all continuities (barring maybe the OVA).

That's entirely dependant on the game. Since the Adventure days, the world has constantly changed. Spagonia and Grand Metropolis? It just changes depending on the game.

Let's not forget Molecurpea in Zero Gravity. It's even called "The City of the Future"!

But yeah, I personally think that Sonic's world is a mix of extremes when it comes to ultra futuristic-ness and primitiveness.

I really like the bizarre extremes of technology in Sonic's world. It's really no weirder than seeing zones with vastly different climates and geographical features right next to each other, I guess (not to mention the loops and other weird stuff within those levels)... and actually, you could probably blame one thing on the other, with technology advancing far faster in some places than others because of the way resources are spread out over Sonic's weird planet. The Robotniks having been around for decades probably messed around with things too; they don't seem to follow the normal rules, and it makes sense that some of their super science would make its way to the common man over the years.

As for the weird geography, there are plenty of things to blame that on (aside from 'it's a fantasy world so shut up', which is my preferred explanation). We've got the Chaos Emeralds and Master Emerald, the Time Stones and the Little Planet, dimensional rifts up the wazoo in the Rush series, Nega and Silver mucking up the timestream lord knows how badly, Solaris, whatever the Time Eater turns out to be... it's really more of a surprise that Sonic's Earth can even sustain life after all that crap.

I've got a soft spot for the concept of the "land of darkness" in the OVA. Kinda of gives the impression that Sonic's world in that continuity is a post-apocalyptic civilization, yet one that manages to defy convention and be fairly light-hearted and cheerful.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just go with Archie's explanation. Mobius is earth far in the future after this alien invasion that warped animals into Mobians, and half of Humanity became "overlanders".

I just go with Archie's explanation. Mobius is earth far in the future after this alien invasion that warped animals into Mobians, and half of Humanity became "overlanders".

Or you can go with the real, official game canon. That the games have always been set on Earth.

The archie story fits into Archie canon. Nowhere else. Archie canon, and the Games' canon are completely different things.

Edited by Neon

Or you can go with the real, official game canon. That the games have always been set on Earth.

The archie story fits into Archie canon. Nowhere else. Archie canon, and the Games' canon are completely different things.

Mobius IS Earth.

Mobius is Earth, Earth is Mobius. Call the planet whatever you want, It's the same thing.