Awoo.

How did Sonic and friends get to Earth?

sideswipe312

EDIT: i'm probably going to get a warning for just saying THAT. So I'm just going to leave it at this: You annoy me and everyone else so get the hell out.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well they did kinda invent Sonic... and the game... and all the other games..

So... I would think it does kinda matter when they turn around and say "Thats not right."

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

So let me get this straight:

Yuji Naka, who had nothing to do with the SoA canon (nor did any of the three members of Sonic Team), says that he didn't like what they did with the SoA canon. Not only does that not really specifically relevant to this discussion and not support a statement such as "the games never (note the emphasis) took place on Mobius," but how is that material to a discussion that is basically only dealing with the SoA canon in the first place?

You're basically saying the equivalent of "Joe Quesada (who works at Marvel Comics) doesn't like Batman's origin story, so its wrong." We aren't talking about the canon as it is now. We are talking about the SoA canon back in 1991-1998, when the games may very well have been intended to take place on Mobius as the Sonic Promo Comic that predated the first game said that they did. The one Yuji Naka knew nothing about and had nothing to do with, and thus any statements made by him regarding it's legitimacy are irrelevant even if they were specifically pertaining to the topic of Mobius.

I don't understand what point you're trying to make. Since when were we not talking about the canon as it is now? That's the point of the topic. Anything to do with the incorrect SoA storyline is now abolished and forgotten. The SoA storyline has no bearing on anything. The SoA storyline isn't canon and therefore the games never took place on Mobius.

Sonic's world has been referred to as "Earth" so many times that you're pretty much lying to yourself if you say it's not Earth.

Edited by Neon
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've always preferred Mobius, even though the games occur on Earth. From what I can remember, no main canon Sonic game has ever taken place on Mobius, unless stated so in the manual. If so, then it's SoA's story. But when Sonic entered the 3D world with the Adventure games, SoA's canon was thrown away, meaning that any main games (S1-S&K) took place on Earth. Archie decided to take the Mobius idea and expand, that's all. The only games I can think of that took place on Mobius are Sonic Spinball and Dr. Robotnik's MBM, the former being made by SoA, and the later being based off the cartoon show, which is also not canon with the games.

Edited by Jumbo Worm
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

My point?

therefore the games never took place on Mobius.

That phrase has two completely different meanings.

Also, though it doesn't have that much bearing on this topic:

the incorrect SoA storyline

I'm getting kind of sick of hearing this as well, even as someone who never cared for the SoA canon.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

You're basically saying the equivalent of "Joe Quesada (who works at Marvel Comics) doesn't like Batman's origin story, so its wrong." We aren't talking about the canon as it is now. We are talking about the SoA canon back in 1991-1998

This is a flawed analogy.

Naka has a lot to do with the development of the series in its original home territory of Japan. SoA's story is a result of the localization to western audiences, not some totally new, original, and unrelated series of games. Where Quesada has nothing to do with Batman, Naka has very much to do with Sonic.

This canon that Naka worked on has always used Earth, even in the 90s. I think it's a perfectly valid opinion to view SoJ as "more canon" than SoA by the simple virtue of it being first. Not because it's Japanese, not because all its fans must be biased otaku weaboos, but because it was the original incarnation of the series. We hold this canon to be more valid than SoA because it came first, and as the series developed it obviously became impossible to keep localizing the obviously human-populated Earth as "Mobius," which is why they stopped bothering with the changes to the story from Adventure onward.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot what thread I was in (Thought I was in the similar "Sally is a Sega character" thread), and posted a bunch of stuff about Sally's non-role in the games. I deleted that part because it's not relevant to this discussion.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 4

I think it's a perfectly valid opinion to view SoJ as "more canon" than SoA by the simple virtue of it being first.

And what needs to be asked in response is "Did the SoJ canon actually come first?"

A similar question of slightly lesser importance is "Are the SoJ canon and the current canon one in the same?"

Edited by Tornado

And what needs to be asked in response is "Did the SoJ canon actually come first?"

Yes.

Much had been made of the American version of Sonic 1 being commercially released before the Japanese version, but that has little to nothing to do with which continuity was actually written for the game, and which it was clearly designed around. The in-game graphics even clearly use the Japanese character designs. SoJ's status as the first canon isn't vague at all.

A similar question of slightly lesser importance is "Are the SoJ canon and the current canon one in the same?"

Yes.

Yes they are. It's true that the Robotnik name was retconned into SoJ to be Eggman's real name, but other than that, the current international story is entirely based on the SoJ canon's background.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder why Planet Freedom happened to not use the name Earth, being the earliest Sonic media with a plot out of Japan. Aside from like game manuals. I think it's kind of crap to say Sonic's world was always definitively recognizable as Earth, like to the extent SA1 took the idea.

Edited by Dabnikz

Whose to say it is Earth specifically?

Recently, Sonic's world has more and more, been portrayed as some batshit insane parallel universe to Earth. It shares some things in common, but it isn't just "Earth plus X number of Anthros".

Whose to say it is Earth specifically?

Sonic Team. They call it "Earth" by name.

It's an alternate, extremely cartoonish, unrealistic Earth. But it's still definitely called Earth multiple times by multiple characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gamewise their ain't really other anthro's (or Mobians, whichever you want) around, through I wished we get to see some common animal citizens walking around instead of just humans everywhere.

Yes.

Much had been made of the American version of Sonic 1 being commercially released before the Japanese version, but that has little to nothing to do with which continuity was actually written for the game, and which it was clearly designed around. The in-game graphics even clearly use the Japanese character designs. SoJ's status as the first canon isn't vague at all.

Both continuities were written for the game. Both continuities were written for the game long before the first game came out in any region. Probably even before the first game started development beyond the conceptual stage.

I admit that there is a bit of weight to the fact that the game itself shares more in common stylistically with the SoJ one, but that's not what the "it came first so it is more valid" argument implies; and character designs (which, correct me if I'm wrong, are the only thing Sonic 1 actually contradicts from the SoA story for the game) aren't the same thing as storylines.

Yes.

Yes they are. It's true that the Robotnik name was retconned into SoJ to be Eggman's real name, but other than that, the current international story is entirely based on the SoJ canon's background.

"Based on" is not necessarily "the same thing." The argument that Sonic Adventure was a broad strokes reboot of the entire canon (rather than just throwing out the SoA one and directly building off of the SoJ one) with far more links to the SoJ one is a perfectly valid idea, I think. I'm not necessarily sure I agree with all of the details surrounding it, but Phos (I'm pretty sure it is Phos) has made several reasonable justifications for that theory.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2