thedarkknight

If you could change one thing of all Sonic games.

this is what people seem to miss

i'm not talking about just erasing shadow and leaving everything else the same

i'm talking about leaving shadow dead and having the series continue from that point without him.

and honestly?

I'm fairly confident this would result in some at least SLIGHTLY better games.

No.

Shadow may have declined as a character, but the only game we can blame on the character is Shadow the Game.

Sonic 06 didn't exist because of Shadow, it was supposed to be the big 15th anniversary bash, that was underdeveloped. Even if Shadow didn't exist, it wouldn't have done much to make the game better, because it still would have been unfinished and horribly programmed. Sonic Heroes didn't need Shadow or Team Dark at all, so you can't blame that on him either.

Edited by Verte

this is what people seem to miss

i'm not talking about just erasing shadow and leaving everything else the same

i'm talking about leaving shadow dead and having the series continue from that point without him.

and honestly?

I'm fairly confident this would result in some at least SLIGHTLY better games.

No.....the games were bad because the development team probably didn't give a shit and didn't program the games well enough. Removing Shadow wouldn't suddenly make Sonic Team better at making games.

Stop being a douchebag. If you don't like what he's saying, ignore the comment. Don't leave smart-ass replies.

They don't hate Shadow. They just don't like the fact that they took a really good character from SA2 and brought him back because he was popular. You realise his death would have had a much bigger emotional impact. Bringing him back pretty much wasted the whole SA2's last story.

Also, so what if they do hate Shadow?

Is it really that big of a deal to you? Learn to respect our opinions and well respect yours.

Okay, if I haven't seen this in this entire forum then all you guys should be fired.

You know what the Sonic games need? Animal NPC's. Not just the goddamn animal friends, but animals that are actually anthro like the loads of characters.

Okay, if I haven't seen this in this entire forum then all you guys should be fired.

You know what the Sonic games need? Animal NPC's. Not just the goddamn animal friends, but animals that are actually anthro like the loads of characters.

Entirely seconded. I myself was left slightly bewildered that they show a lot of the world's continents in Unleashed and yet there's not a single anthrope apart from the main cast. There's got to be more anthropes than just the majority of the main cast. It makes you wonder if Sonic's kind are an extremely reclusive people or if they're critically endangered.

Edited by Verte

What I would change? I would make Shadow and Silver villians (along with Eggman and Eggman Nega) while Sonic and Blaze main heroes. Some epic battles included. But I will do this for one game. To see how it would come out.

Fix Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. Really, this game didn't have to be such a tragedy. I have millions of complaints with the game, but the glitches the Loading screens the amigos and the ball in the hole puzzle with silver were what broke this game for me. If they just fixed those things, I'd have my Sonic Adventure 3.

This sadly.

Entirely seconded. I myself was left slightly bewildered that they show a lot of the world's continents in Unleashed and yet there's not a single anthrope apart from the main cast. There's got to be more anthropes than just the majority of the main cast. It makes you wonder if Sonic's kind are an extremely reclusive people or if they're critically endangered.

It is odd, but I think it's mostly a result of SEGA deciding to take the easy way and populate the world with mostly generic, human characters, instead of having to design a whole bunch of animal type characters for the backing cast.

It's interesting that other anthro characters show from time to time (the main ones in my mind being the echidnas from SA and the randoms from Sonic Rush 2)

I'd totally revamp Sonic 06's story, because it was a stupid convoluted mess that screwed over Blaze's origin story and introduced that terrible Princess Elise.

I've said this before elsewhere on the board, but I still think its worth repeating. I'd replace time-travel with dimension hopping and replace Princess Elise w/ Princess Blaze. Actually, given all of the "sol/sun/fire" stuff in Princess Elise's story I've wondered if she originally started as Blaze.

Here's the set-up: It's the Soleanna Festival of the Sun and Doctor Eggman has torn another whole between the Sol and Chaos Universes. Eggman has come to steal one of Blaze's Sol Emeralds, but is interrupted by Sonic and Co. who have pursued Eggman across the dimensional rift. Meanwhile, a mysterious figure appears to Blaze's young, enthusiastic guard who seems impressed by Sonic's heroics. Mephiles warns Silver that Blaze has made a great mistake trusting this blue hedgehog and shows him a vision of an apocalyptic future he claims Sonic intends to cause. Silver vows that he will be the one to save the world. 

Okay, this new forum style just deleted my post. Pressing tab didn't take me to the post button like it used to, so ugh, I'm not typing it all out again. Basically...

1. Canon or not, the story for Chronicles sucked. Mainly the Nocturnus. Why did they go with such a generic 'magic vs technology' approach for the ancient tribes? The Knuckle's clan was based on the Incas, so the Nocturnus should have been based on another ancient civilisation. Something East Asian would have been best.

2. Chronicles also had fuck all to do with Sonic. It should have starred Knuckles in the lead, and focused on him and Shade. Also Shade should have a different name.

3. Shadow should have stayed dead for much longer than he did. After a brilliant end to his story in SA2, he should have been left for quite a while. There was no worse thing to do to Shadow that bring him back immediately in such a bright and cheesey game and with his memory and personality wiped. If he'd come back a few years later, without being all "who am I?" and without the Black Arms nonsense, he'd still be brilliant. As it stand now though, he's been whored out.

Okay, this new forum style just deleted my post. Pressing tab didn't take me to the post button like it used to, so ugh, I'm not typing it all out again. Basically...

1. Canon or not, the story for Chronicles sucked. Mainly the Nocturnus. Why did they go with such a generic 'magic vs technology' approach for the ancient tribes? The Knuckle's clan was based on the Incas, so the Nocturnus should have been based on another ancient civilisation. Something East Asian would have been best.

2. Chronicles also had fuck all to do with Sonic. It should have starred Knuckles in the lead, and focused on him and Shade. Also Shade should have a different name.

3. Shadow should have stayed dead for much longer than he did. After a brilliant end to his story in SA2, he should have been left for quite a while. There was no worse thing to do to Shadow that bring him back immediately in such a bright and cheesey game and with his memory and personality wiped. If he'd come back a few years later, without being all "who am I?" and without the Black Arms nonsense, he'd still be brilliant. As it stand now though, he's been whored out.

There was "Shadow return" scenario in progress. But after Dreamcast death it wad scrapped. With heroes Naka wanted lighthearted simple story. But Shadow was pretty popular so they made him playable. They created team dark as last team.

So yeah.

Why must people blame the franchises' low points on characters, the overall tone or complexity of the story? These things wouldn't be highlighted as much if the gameplay had always been solid. I may think that Heroes toyed with too many characters and Sonic got the shite end of the plot in '06 but I don't blame any game's downfall on these particular errors. This isn't aimed at the thread itself but comments that suggest the exclusion of a particular character or characters would help fix the franchise really irk me sometimes, due to hearing this kind of thing from critics so often. /rant

Anyway, I would change:

1. That whole Metal Madness nonsense. Metal Sonic could have just grown into a slightly scarier, much larger version of himself ala Knuckles Chaotix. I'm really not a fan of that flapping, Alien-like mess of a monster he became

2. Dark Gaia's involvement in Unleashed. When I say change it, I mean remove it entirely. This would of course delete the Werehog and dark minions from existence. That's good. Robotnik could have broken the planet for another reason. Maybe he got fed up after losing again and lost his temper (which to be honest is as good a reason as rehashing the monster god concept). Meanwhile Sonic could just as easily fight more robots instead of purple creatures. Chip (if he has to be there) could still have emerged from inside the planet as its guardian and help put the world back together with the Chaos Emeralds. At the climax we could have had a much more impressive Egg Dragoon fight. Done. This idea is simply off the top of my head so it's all very basic stuff, but so is Unleashed's actual narrative.

I've said this before elsewhere on the board, but I still think its worth repeating. I'd replace time-travel with dimension hopping and replace Princess Elise w/ Princess Blaze. Actually, given all of the "sol/sun/fire" stuff in Princess Elise's story I've wondered if she originally started as Blaze...

That's a good point; they should have gone with that. Minus any cringy romance.

That's a good point; they should have gone with that. Minus any cringy romance.

Agreed. I don't understand why ST felt that they needed to suddenly shoehorn a romance story into the game in the first place. It was forced...badly and it was awkward as Hell. Honestly, the fact that she was human wasn't even half the problem with the kiss.

Now while I think keeping Shadow dead wouldn't really solve anything, because we still would've got Heroes, and 06 would've focused probably on Silver, both games would still suck.

I would however make Shadow's return MUCH later, to give it more impact. Him dying then coming back one game later felt really anti-climatic, if they maybe waited a game or two it would've been not only more believable, but leave much more of an impact.

What I would change? I would make Shadow and Silver villians (along with Eggman and Eggman Nega) while Sonic and Blaze main heroes. Some epic battles included. But I will do this for one game. To see how it would come out.

Ok not that I have a problem with your idea, but how and why Shadow & Silver would become villains? Hell unlike Shadow, Silver was never a villain to begin with, so why would he suddenly go to the dark side, I like details please.

Totally agree about wiping Shadow the Hedgehog (the game) and 06's currently nonexistant plot from the canon. Fanservice catering (@ShadowTH) at it's worst. I would also replace Shadow with Fang (he would have also been searching for treasure with Rouge). I don't agree with Shadow staying dead, maybe they just leave it at him falling to earth, but making it unknown whether he died or not. And if Sonic Team brang him back, no anmesia BS.

I would also have 06 rewritten and delayed to 2007 as well to fix all of those damn glitches, and in Unleashed I would have replaced the Werehog with Darkspine Sonic from Secret Rings, whose's platforming would be based more on special powers instead of being based on strength/beat 'em up. As for Sonic 4's (ho boy....)

- Plot rewritten

- Kept Dimps away from the project and built classic physics from scratch with heavy observance to the physics in the classics or have Dimps base the physics off their Advance 1 engine

- Made it exclusive to consoles

- Made it a retail release with big budget for 2011

- make sure it got the treatment it rightfully deserved

Having Sonic 4 wiped altogether I wouldn't have minded as well.

EDIT: I would also probably make some character design changes as well, but I've kinda covered what I would change in my previous posts and statuses.

Edited by Ananze

Hmmm, only thing off the top of my head that can still be done is taking the rights of the series from Archie. Words do not describe the magnitude of the facepalm that occured when I first learnt of that...

Also agree with the Shadow staing dead argument, he hasn't reall added anything worthwhile to the series after that.