Awoo.

If you could change one thing of all Sonic games.

thedarkknight

I'd also say it's Roger's voice which makes me dislike Colours' interpretation of Sonic. It seems...soulless. When i hear Roger i don't hear Sonic. It's kind of hard to put in to words. Even now, when i think of Sonic, i think of Jason's voice. It's more iconic. The script wasn't very deep, either. It didn't feel like Sonic.

I truly hope the new writers up their game in Generations. And take note from the Storybook games...Am i a Storybook fanboy?

Edited by Neon
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'd also say it's Roger's voice which makes me dislike Colours' interpretation of Sonic. It seems...soulless. When i hear Roger i don't hear Sonic. It's kind of hard to put in to words. Even now, when i think of Sonic, i think of Jason's voice. It's more iconic. The script wasn't very deep, either. It didn't feel like Sonic.

I truly hope the new writers up their game in Generations. And take note from the Storybook games...Am i a Storybook fanboy?

I wouldn't change Roger's voice because it's still well acted and has vast potential. I just think that the combination of the writing and questionable voice acting direction in Colours was the ultimate source of why Roger didn't seem to entirely grasp the role of Sonic. It was a admirable first try at portraying Sonic and you can tell clear as day that he enjoys it and did hard work but what made his voice slightly unlikeable was the sarcasm and self-obsession dripping from many lines, consequently making Sonic quite unlikeable mainly because of the writing and possibly because of the direction.

I don't think Roger's "To blame" at all, just the innate tone of the lines he was provided with and how apparently....his direction may have been.

Don't worry about it, I'm quite the Storybook series fangirl and have my reservations about Generations writing but I hope I have always justified my stance on these subjects.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 2

Even now, when i think of Sonic, i think of Jason's voice. It's more iconic.
Iconic, or familiar?

The script wasn't very deep, either. It didn't feel like Sonic.
Wouldn't feel like Sonic if it was deep...

Ehh I had no problem with Roger in Colors at all, if anything the only thing I didn't like was the script, and that's not even his fault. I'm pretty sure most of the dislike comes from not being used to him yet, because the same thing happened with Griffith.

Something tells me Sega are going to ditch the deep voice for him though, shame really I liked how Sonic sounded somewhat more mature.

Really? Storybook games seemed to nail it. or am I wrong?

I think what he means is that the game never really took itself seriously, which I personally had no problem with, as it was a breath of fresh air for a change.

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 1

Iconic, or familiar?

My replies are pretty much what Shadic said. biggrin.gif

Edited by Neon

Really? Storybook games seemed to nail it. or am I wrong?
They're relatively deep for the series, but objectively they're still shallow. They'd still fall into the bottom tier of video games, and video games as a whole are incredibly shallow (barring a few exemplary exceptions).

I would go back in time and stop Sonic from getting green eyes *trollface*.

Serious answer: Man, so many choices. And so many things that pissed me off. If anything I would say that I would make sure 06 had more time and effort put into it, because I think that game had potential if it had more effort.

In my opinion, I kinda don't like Shadow's new voice actor. It sort of gets rid of his original personality of being introverted, reserved, quiet, somewhat cocky, and mature. While the new one does seem mature still, it gives me the more arrogant, extroverted, sarcastic, in-your-face vibe. but maybe that's just me.

Edited by Ishtar

IMO, I kinda don't like Shadow's new voice actor. It sort of gets rid of his original personality of being introverted, reserved, quiet, somewhat cocky, and mature. While the new one does seem mature still, it gives me the more arrogant, extroverted, sarcastic, in-your-face vibe.

While I do agree that I prefer Shadow's voice actor in SA2 and the like, but I still like how Shadow's been handled as a character in recent games. He's still the same Shadow as before, just that a lot more cocky without being flanderized, which is a plus in my book. :P

They're relatively deep for the series, but objectively they're still shallow. They'd still fall into the bottom tier of video games, and video games as a whole are incredibly shallow (barring a few exemplary exceptions).

Well I'm pretty sure he wasn't referring to Shakespeare levels of deep, mate. It goes without saying that the series is still pretty shallow when compared to other narratives, but in relation the series, I'd say its not that bad.

I would've never switched the voice actors. It's not because I like the original cast, but because it would've probably cut down on a lot of the whining and complaining.

And one more thing (even though I'm supposed to only have 1). I would've changed the name from Sonic Heroes to Sonic Adventure 3.

In my opinion, I kinda don't like Shadow's new voice actor. It sort of gets rid of his original personality of being introverted, reserved, quiet, somewhat cocky, and mature. While the new one does seem mature still, it gives me the more arrogant, extroverted, sarcastic, in-your-face vibe. but maybe that's just me.

I honestly prefer that representation to what he was before. He was a hell of a lot more interesting because of it, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people will agree.

Hell you can say he was like he was in Sa2, where he was constantly mocking Sonic. Hell I didn't even feel he was "In your face" Jet is in your face, Shadow is more "I'm surrounded by idiots" in regards to everyone else.

I would've never switched the voice actors. It's not because I like the original cast, but because it would've probably cut down on a lot of the whining and complaining.

And one more thing (even though I'm supposed to only have 1). I would've changed the name from Sonic Heroes to Sonic Adventure 3.

It would've probably happened anyway considering most of the voices back then were only 10-12, specifically Tails and Amy's voices.

And I really don't know what purpose calling Heroes, Sa3 would serve but whatever floats your boat.

I kind of have to agree with the Shadow thing from earlier in this topic. I still like him as a character, but putting him back in the next few games after SA2 really took away from its ending, which I really liked.

Anyway, right now the thing I would want to change the most is to take away all of the really annoying forced missions that have shown up all over recent games. It was especially bad in Secret Rings; I don't want to have to play through a level again while avoiding breaking any jars to advance further in the game.

Overall though I'm pretty happy with the direction that the Sonic series has been going in.

It would've probably happened anyway considering most of the voices back then were only 10-12, specifically Tails and Amy's voices.

And I really don't know what purpose calling Heroes, Sa3 would serve but whatever floats your boat.

I would've just changed their voices when the time came instead of replacing the entire cast.

And I would call Heroes SA3 just so it would shut up everyone saying "MAKE SA3 SEGA!!2!11!".

I would've just changed their voices when the time came instead of replacing the entire cast.

And I would call Heroes SA3 just so it would shut up everyone saying "MAKE SA3 SEGA!!2!11!".

But it wouldn't be Sa3 though, because the playstyle is different.

• Thumbs Up 1

But it wouldn't be Sa3 though, because the playstyle is different.

SA2's style was also different (no adventure fields, 3 stories, Tails having a different playstyle, Eggman being playable (with same playstyle as Tails), and Chao Kindergarten), but it's a sequel to SA.

SA2's style was also different (no adventure fields, 3 stories, Tails having a different playstyle, Eggman being playable (with same playstyle as Tails), and Chao Kindergarten), but it's a sequel to SA.

Chao Kindergarten is an extension of the Chao Garden, Tails and Eggman's gameplay is based off of Gamma's.

The only real change are like you said the lack of adventure fields and story set up. But the general gameplay and controls are relatively the same from Sa1 which is why its referred to as a sequel.

Heroes has you controlling 3 characters at once, which is already deviating from the previous two games. They lack Chao gardens of any sort, and the story setup while similar is still completely different from Adventure's.

06 is more of an Sa3 than Heroes, despite the lack of a Chao Garden.

If i could change one thing.....wow...that's tough...I think I would make Knuckle's role a lot more related to the M.E, and not make him just tag along with Sonic and co. He would tag along if it made sense for the plot. For example, in sonic Heroes, if Metal Sonic(impersonating Eggman) stole the M.E. to help power himself to his ultimate transformation, then he would have a reason to tag along with Sonic and Tails: they all want the same thing: Eggman/Robotnik(metal sonic). Of course, he would not mind it at all, he and Sonic would still be good friends, but again, he would help/ally only if it makes sense for his role as Guardian of the M.E.

Oh, also, I would probably have the M.E. stay in Hidden Palace Zone. Having it on a shrine OUTSIDE IN THE OPEN is a great way to protect it right?

[endsarcasm]

Chao Kindergarten is an extension of the Chao Garden, Tails and Eggman's gameplay is based off of Gamma's.

The only real change are like you said the lack of adventure fields and story set up. But the general gameplay and controls are relatively the same from Sa1 which is why its referred to as a sequel.

Heroes has you controlling 3 characters at once, which is already deviating from the previous two games. They lack Chao gardens of any sort, and the story setup while similar is still completely different from Adventure's.

06 is more of an Sa3 than Heroes, despite the lack of a Chao Garden.

Ok, you got me on the Chao Kindergarten thing. That was kinda irrelevant, now that I think about it.

How's about we just agree to disagree then?

Oh, also, I would probably have the M.E. stay in Hidden Palace Zone. Having it on a shrine OUTSIDE IN THE OPEN is a great way to protect it right?

[endsarcasm]

A hidden palace that's no longer hidden isn't much better.

If i could change one thing.....wow...that's tough...I think I would make Knuckle's role a lot more related to the M.E, and not make him just tag along with Sonic and co. He would tag along if it made sense for the plot. For example, in sonic Heroes, if Metal Sonic(impersonating Eggman) stole the M.E. to help power himself to his ultimate transformation, then he would have a reason to tag along with Sonic and Tails: they all want the same thing: Eggman/Robotnik(metal sonic). Of course, he would not mind it at all, he and Sonic would still be good friends, but again, he would help/ally only if it makes sense for his role as Guardian of the M.E.

That's just it though, the master emeralds only purpose nowadays is to serve as an excuse to get Knuckles involved.

Now I never minded Knuckles tagging along as other people do, what I hated was that there was no acknowledgement towards his duty at all(Ok Heroes kind of had this covered) and it was almost forgotten.