Awoo.

If you could change one thing of all Sonic games.

thedarkknight

Oh, one other thing. Should Knuckles ever return, he should play like an Improved Werehog with No stretch arms.

Oh, one other thing. Should Knuckles ever return, he should play like an Improved Werehog with No stretch arms.

• Thumbs Up 1

Right now, I'd allow the comic characters to appear in multiplayer spinoffs like Sonic Free Riders, Sonic Shuffle, ASR, and the like. I've always been the kinda guy who wants to try all kinds of crazy battles. I'd love to call the family over for a Sonic vs Shadow vs Scourge vs Metal Sonic race. Battle of the clones!

• Thumbs Up 1

Right now, I'd allow the comic characters to appear in multiplayer spinoffs like Sonic Free Riders, Sonic Shuffle, ASR, and the like. I've always been the kinda guy who wants to try all kinds of crazy battles. I'd love to call the family over for a Sonic vs Shadow vs Scourge vs Metal Sonic race. Battle of the clones!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a bit late to the party, and this would have fit better in the first page or two with all the other Shadow comments, but what can ya do.

If I could change something, Shadow would not have survived the Space Colony ARK battle. He got some decent development in Sonic 2006, but not not enough to make ShTH worth it. His backstory lost the sense of alluring mystery it had back in SA2 (thanks to Black Doom dry.gif). Some things are supposed to be known to viewers for the plot and the characters to make sense, while other things are meant to be left to the imagination. Shadow's backstory should have been left to the imagination. I knew WHY he was created and that was enough; I never wanted to know how. It was just one of those things that was better left unsaid, just like how I don't want to know why Tails is as smart as he is, or why Sonic was able to use Chaos Control with a fake emerald.

The rest of the plot went overboard, attempting to account for every what-if there could have been in his journey... which is just ridiculous. For all the THIS-IS-WHO-I-AMs we heard, I STILL don't really know who he is, because only one of those ten paths could actually have happened. Another example of why Sega should not bend over backwards for fans. If they had gone with THEIR instinct about what was right for the series, he likely would have stayed dead, and his existence and purpose in SA2 would have been remembered as something beautiful.

Above all, though: Think what Generations might have been like if we had seen the last of Shadow in SA2. Generations has Sonic encountering tons of old friends and rivals via time travel... which would have made it possible for the Sonic of today to see the Shadow of the past. It wouldn't have cheapened his death since he wouldn't be brought back or anything, and it could have been kinda special. I'm not even talking some kind of dramatic, deep speech or anything. Maybe just a softly spoken "Nice to see ya" from Sonic or a brief smile that we viewers would understand the significance of.

EDIT: Can't spell at 3:31 in the morning.

Edited by DC111

Shadow had by far the most encompassing and most influential role in Shadow the Hedgehog 2 SONIC '06. Even for such a shit game, he had no right to usurp Sonic from the main role, especially considering the game was called SONIC THE HEDGEHOG and was a 15th anniversary game (It's crappiness is not relevant to this). Ever since Shadow has been brought back, he's been marginalizing Sonic from role in the story to doing his gameplay better and that's what has left a bitter taste in people's mouths. All would have been averted had Sonic Team honored the character's dignity and not have whored-out his popularity by bringing him back from what was undoubtedly written as a definate death in SA2.

Even if you removed Shadow from Sonic 2006, you would still have Silver stealing the spotlight from Sonic.

Even if you removed Shadow from Sonic 2006, you would still have Silver stealing the spotlight from Sonic.

Not to that great of an extent, though. Shadow pretty much faced off against the game's main villain the entire time, and got far more attention as a character than Sonic or Silver did, despite Sonic being the main character and Silver being a new character. While I liked a fair bit of Shadow's development in that game, there's no denying that he kind of stole the spotlight.

Edited by DC111

I wouldn't really change much aside from how gameplay and story was treated, I would like for SEGA to look into implementing more playable characters (I would say in the style of Adventure with the different gameplay styles, but we know how that ended up turning) in the near future main game wise.

Not to that great of an extent, though. Shadow pretty much faced off against the game's main villain the entire time, and got far more attention as a character than Sonic or Silver did, despite Sonic being the main character and Silver being a new character. While I liked a fair bit of Shadow's development in that game, there's no denying that he kind of stole the spotlight.

I agree with this, because I think the writing naturally went to Shadow being kind of the the big character since development started right off the heels of Shadow's game. That's just my opinion on that matter.

Edited by edge.

Not to that great of an extent, though.

He'd still be stealing the spotlight regardless. And I'd wager it would still be a much greater proportion due to the fact that while both Silver and Shadow are deeply involved with Mephilies, Sonic has absolutely no idea about him throughout the entire game.

Shadow and Silver were taking on one half of the actual threat in their respective stories; one of those halves is only seen as greater than the other due to being the main instigator, but both are relevant regarding the final goal being achieved. If anyone doesn't do that much spotlight stealing from the other character, it's Shadow in relation to Silver. Sonic get's completely overshadowed by both no matter which of the two you compare him to.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

I still think that Silver would have stolen the spotlight from Sonic. It seems like Sega was really hoping that Silver would become popular and become the next Shadow. His storyline was more developed then Sonic's.

id proably tell sega that after sonic heros untill sonic 4 the series is going to die

and make tails doll lest scary

About 06 story. I was thinking about this whole "spotlight stealing" discussion. And you know what? I think WE fans wanted it. Let me explain.

SEGA says that series is going back to its roots. Basicaly Shadow and Silver stories are for fans that like serious dark stories with mysteries. Their stories were most important because they represented Past (Shadow) and Future (Silver). They were fighting threats from those times. While Silver was fighting Iblis. Shadow was fighting Mephiles.

Where is Sonic you say. Well where he should be or I should say where classic fans wanted him to be. Fighting EGGMAN in somehow more lighthearted story (more lighthearted than Shadow's and Silver's stories) I mean just compare the endings:

Shadow:Still fighting army of Mephileses

Silver:Defeating threat but with sacrafice of his only friend.

Sonic: Escaping from EGG Carier and laughting while sitting on grass saying "Nice smile".

I mean compared to other Stories, Sonic story is the most lighthearted but because of that its least important. (BTW it somehow reminded me of Mario. Sorry but your princes is in another fortress)

It even seem retro-ish :P

Well maybe SEGA wanted to please both modern fans and classic fans?

I'm a bit late to the party, and this would have fit better in the first page or two with all the other Shadow comments, but what can ya do.

If I could change something, Shadow would not have survived the Space Colony ARK battle. He got some decent development in Sonic 2006, but not not enough to make ShTH worth

it. His backstory lost the sense of alluring mystery it had back in SA2 (thanks to Black Doom dry.gif). Some things are supposed to be known to viewers for the plot and the characters to make sense, while other things are meant to be left to the imagination. Shadow's backstory should have been left to the imagination. I knew WHY he was created and that was enough; I never wanted to know how. It was just one of those things that was better left unsaid, just like how I don't want to know why Tails is as smart as he is, or why Sonic was able to use Chaos Control with a fake emerald.

The rest of the plot went overboard, attempting to account for every what-if there could have been in his journey... which is just ridiculous. For all the THIS-IS-WHO-I-AMs we heard, I STILL don't really know who he is, because only one of those ten paths could actually have happened. Another example of why Sega should not bend over backwards for fans. If they had gone with THEIR instinct about what was right for the series, he likely would have stayed dead, and his existence and purpose in

SA2 would have been remembered as something beautiful.

Above all, though: Think what Generations might have been like if we had seen the last of

Shadow in SA2. Generations has Sonic encountering tons of old friends and rivals via time travel... which would have made it possible for the Sonic of today to see the Shadow of the past. It wouldn't have

cheapened his death since he wouldn't be brought back or anything, and it could have been kinda special. I'm not even talking some kind of dramatic, deep speech or anything. Maybe just a softly spoken "Nice to see ya"

from Sonic or a brief smile that we viewers would understand the significance of.

EDIT: Can't spell at 3:31 in the morning.

I'm not fan of keeping Shadow dead forever but I would admit a scene with him in Generations would be a bit of a tear jerker after being dead since the 10th year anniversary game.

Things I would change (I know the topic said one thing but there's just so many).

I would use alternate gameplays styles to make entirely different games. And I don't mean a spin-off Sonic game. What if they made a game with Ristar with the werehog gameplay. (I see alot of people talking about this) Or use Silver's gameplay to make a new franchise with a character that's not a hedgehog. (No I'm not saying get rid of Silver but does his powers really belong in a Sonic game)

Name Sonic 06 "Sonic Adventure 3" so both adventure and retro fans would both have a big FUCK YOU game. (You know, like Sonic 4 was bad compared to the original, imagine how SA3 being 06 would have done to the fanbase)

Make Shadow come back in 06 so his death would have more of a important role and don't just throw and everything about him in our face so we know him like our crush's Facebook page *coughShadowTheHedgehogGamecough*

I'd totally revamp Sonic 06's story, because it was a stupid convoluted mess that screwed over Blaze's origin story and introduced that terrible Princess Elise.

I've said this before elsewhere on the board, but I still think its worth repeating. I'd replace time-travel with dimension hopping and replace Princess Elise w/ Princess Blaze. Actually, given all of the "sol/sun/fire" stuff in Princess Elise's story I've wondered if she originally started as Blaze.

Here's the set-up: It's the Soleanna Festival of the Sun and Doctor Eggman has torn another whole between the Sol and Chaos Universes. Eggman has come to steal one of Blaze's Sol Emeralds, but is interrupted by Sonic and Co. who have pursued Eggman across the dimensional rift. Meanwhile, a mysterious figure appears to Blaze's young, enthusiastic guard who seems impressed by Sonic's heroics. Mephiles warns Silver that Blaze has made a great mistake trusting this blue hedgehog and shows him a vision of an apocalyptic future he claims Sonic intends to cause. Silver vows that he will be the one to save the world.

This is actually how I feel about Sonic Nextgen's story and how it should've been done; and instead of the Flames of Disaster being involved with the princess crying, it would be around letting the wrong hands come in contact with the Scepter of Darkness Sol Sceptor or something of that fashion; the Sol Sceptor being the alternate-dimension equivalent to the Master Emerald. Solaris is kept encaged inside the Sol Sceptor much like Chaos was in the Master Emerald, and whenever the wrong hands come to abide with it's power, Solaris is unleashed, encasing the world with fire and terror. It's shrine is in the center of the watercurrent-shrouded temple of Kingdom Valley's castle walls, and...

..I could keep going on and on and on about this. Maybe I should just try to sit down and write the entire plot over... again, since I've already done it before. :P

I agree that either removing Shadow's game or making Shadow's death stay within SA2 with him dying an honorable hero, although I'd somewhat prefer the former choice. Shadow's backstory in his game was abysmal and forever destroyed the potentially good character (on more than one level, considering it also introduced swearing, emo wagnst and firearms). Shadow seems to be the smug, snarky guy he was in SA2 again if the Free Riders cutscenes are anything to go by; so I'd just hope that they would kindly forget Black Doom and that GUN Commander and all that ridiculous crud ever happened, make a better alternative to how he survived his landing (like him not becoming amnesiac after his fall), and just keep doing what they seem to be doing with him right now.

Oh yeah. If Knuckles is ever playable again, I want him to control similar to how he was in SA2, his controls were PERFECT in there, he had a varied moveset and did not feel like a copy of Sonic at all, hell he didn't even have a spin dash, and most of his moves were punching rather than spinning.

That's what always annoyed me about most of the games, that most of the characters had most of the moves as Sonic, I mean in the 2D games I don't mind but in 3D they should find ways of making the characters feel similar yet different.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah. If Knuckles is ever playable again, I want him to control similar to how he was in SA2, his controls were PERFECT in there, he had a varied moveset and did not feel like a copy of Sonic at all, hell he didn't even have a spin dash, and most of his moves were punching rather than spinning.

That's what always annoyed me about most of the games, that most of the characters had most of the moves as Sonic, I mean in the 2D games I don't mind but in 3D they should find ways of making the characters feel similar yet different.

I actually rather prefer them to have some of the same moves as Sonic. Besides, now that we have Sega placing move balance across four different face buttons, there should be more than enough room for characters to have their own specific abilities as well as spinning and whatnot.

I actually rather prefer them to have some of the same moves as Sonic. Besides, now that we have Sega placing move balance across four different face buttons, there should be more than enough room for characters to have their own specific abilities as well as spinning and whatnot.

Yes but I do like Sonic to have some uniqueness to him. I mean with Knuckles and Shadow I can stand it because its natural for their species to spin, but when people like Omega, Rouge, Big, Cream, THe Chaotix start doing it, it gets annoying you feel me?

Spinning is an integral part of Sonic gameplay. Any character that can't spin shouldn't be playable. If Sonic needs something unique, he needs to look somewhere else.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spinning is an integral part of Sonic gameplay. Any character that can't spin shouldn't be playable. If Sonic needs something unique, he needs to look somewhere else.

Didn't see anybody complaining about Knuckles` lack of spinning in the adventure games.

• Thumbs Up 1

The comic book characters and every other part of that universe are basically leftovers from the split canons we had back in the 90s. Once the comics end, so will all of those characters. SEGA doesn't even seem to like to acknowledge their existence (for good reason, too). If we're going to have Scourge, we may as well have Chris thrown into the mix as well. Is that what you want? Do you want Chris to make a come back? Do you want to make people relive the memories? You're a terrible fan person.

But no, seriously. Can't get on board with the idea of characters from other Sonic universes worming their way into the games in any way.

Same as super speed- it's part of what the series is all about. All characters should spin, unless it's otherwise their own unique thing. Like Amy in SA1, Advance 1 and Advance 3. She still played like she was in a Sonic game, but with that being her twist.

Edited by Blue Blood

I really wish I could go past my positive rep for the day.

If not the spinning action, then the spinning mechanics. There's got to be something there that works enough like spinning to compensate for playing like the rest of the characters. Blaze can pirhouette, Silver can slide, Amy can buttslide ala Mario and Big can roll sideways for all I care, but as long as they have a crouching-while-mobile move that functions the exact same way as rolling it's all good because that's practically an essential move for a Sonic game, at least for 2D outings. I do know however that Sonic, Tails (because he's been following Sonic for so long), Knuckles and Shadow should all have spinning and that's just as definite as it can get.

Didn't see anybody complaining about Knuckles` lack of spinning in the adventure games.

Both Knuckles and Tails could roll in Sonic Adventure. Adventure 2 shouldn't even truly count, since even for Sonic they mostly replaced the spin attack with the (*groan*) somersault.

• Thumbs Up 4

They complain about him having treasure hunting instead of proper Sonic gameplay, and spinning is an integral part of Sonic gameplay. They don't bring up spinning specifically because it's just part of the bigger issue regarding his gameplay.

If not the spinning action, then the spinning mechanics.

Edited by Blue Blood

The spinning action should be a part of it for pretty much everyone. It's always been there, and always should be.