Awoo.

Lets talk Sonic The Movie. Your thoughts

SABRINA

I remember finding it in a Blockbuster video store in 1999. It was new back then I believe.

I didn't even know about the sonic shows (Pokemon nut at the time.ugh) except AOSTH.

Never did see Underground when it was actually on.

ANYWAY (Uh Oh. return of the big text)

Here's my review of Sonic: The Movie.

The movie is actually pretty entertaining with an interesting storyline

and amazing detail as far as the background scenery. and it was

the only cartoon to feature "Metal Sonic" (Hyper Metal Sonic as he's

called in the show)

Martin Burke voices Sonic this time around. he sure does have a different

style of voice compared to White,Drummond, or Griffith (but lets not turn this into

one of THOSE debates.

Long story short. Loved it, wore the vhs out (really it dont play no mo), love how it's a

good bit similar to the games. only thing I'd change is the bad acting and the poor translation of

the Japanese text. "This is bad"

What did you think of it?

ova.jpg

I like it, some voices needed to be changed (Sonic, Metal Sonic, Knuckles, etc.) but it was very good to me.

"Strange isn't it?"

(If we are posting reviews, I'd like to post the review I did of this movie at school [that was for a grade])

Edited by Evey

Actually, I like the fact that Knuckles' voice is high. It fits his classic design to me, and it doesn't make him sound to old.

That being said, that movie has so many mature undertones it's amusing. And Sonic speaking with three different accents in the film always struck me as odd, too.

I thought it was really cute. :3

I love/loved finding these kinds of movies at blockbuster! They'd be so exciting to watch.

I thought Knux's voice perfectly suited his old self, he really sounded like a professional detective and treasure hunter. Overall, I thought the movie was pretty awesome. I like the part when it looked like Metal Sonic was looking up the princess's skirt.

A portrayal of 90s Sonic that was somewhat true to the games? I say that's good with me.

Eggman's love interest in Sera was great.

The OVA had some pretty decent action scenes for a Sonic animation. I was pretty obsessed with it as a child, and I would watch the rented VHS I had several times over. Now that I have it on DVD (the one with the dark blue cover, which is apparently rare now), I can't really go back and watch episode 2 without feeling bored out of my mind. Not because I had seen it several times over as a kid, but because I don't find it quite as enduring or interesting as, say, SatAM. The OVA is still miles better than Sonic X, though, but overall I don't think it was worth buying.

The thing that bothers me the most about this anime is how people tend to compare it with Sonic CD's animated sequences, which are really nothing alike. Plus, Sonic CD's was way better; the OVA was pretty stiff in comparison.

Edited by Jake

I liked it allot since it made its own story while still remembering the game. I didn't like Knuckles voice since it made him seem awkward but ignoring that it was great. I mostly loved that Metal Sonic is the main focus since he one of my favorites.

Edited by Shade737

The movie is very entertaining and continues to draw me back to it whenever I am bored.

It represents a lot of what I like about the Sonic Series and adds emphasis to a bot that deserves it. On top of that, the OVA pulled off some things that just aren’t possible in the games (epic fight scenes).

Man, that movie was amazing. I got the DVD not too long ago and it seems like I watch it every weekend. It's so damn funny and entertaining.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the OVA is the best animated Sonic by far. Even if the setting is nothing like the games (which would usually be a fairly strong point against it to me) it still manages to feel more "Sonic" than any of the other cartoons. The story is solid, the characters are entertaining (and even the extras aren't annoying), the action scenes are fun, the dialogue is decent, and hell even the voice acting is pretty good (except for Metal Sonic. Eugh. Thankfully it's just one line...).

Also this is awesome, so.

I really liked the movie. I particularly liked Dr. Robotnik's voice. He was absolutely perfect in this movie.

But like with all Sonic Media... it had characters and concepts widley different from the games, like Sera, the President, the old man, and the idea of "The land of the Sky" and "The land of Darkness"

I got used to the voices after a while. It would have been nice to see another movie.

Only thing I didn't care for is that... Bizarre ending.

Best animated adaptation a video game has ever seen. The games should use the VA cast from this movie. Sonic actually has attitude, Tails features acting instead of reading, Robotnik is oozing with personality, and Sara's voice could fit Amy perfectly. With the current cast, they seem to have focused more on making the English VA's sound like the Japanese ones rather than on sounding good.

I don't see why people don't think it's like the games. All the characters are on model, they get around in the Tornado, they fight against Robotnik (who is trying to take over the world, compared to AoStH, where he was kind of like a local warlord, and SatAM, where he was a generic evil empire), the environments are suitably surreal, and the entire journey through the Land of Darkness could have been an extra cut scene from Sonic CD. And don't forget the Badniks! Off the top of my head, I recall the flying centipede thing, the buzz bomber, and the snail bot.

I don't see why people don't think it's like the games. All the characters are on model, they get around in the Tornado, they fight against Robotnik (who is trying to take over the world, compared to AoStH, where he was kind of like a local warlord, and SatAM, where he was a generic evil empire), the environments are suitably surreal, and the entire journey through the Land of Darkness could have been an extra cut scene from Sonic CD. And don't forget the Badniks! Off the top of my head, I recall the flying centipede thing, the buzz bomber, and the snail bot.

Well, sort of.

The dialog implied Eggman previously tried to conquer the Land of the Sky, but his plot this time is to simply destroy it and everyone on it, preserving the lives of only himself and Sera, with whom he plans to repopulate what's left of the world with his lineage. Rather psychotic by Sega Eggman standards, though his personality and mannerisms(Not to mention his obvious design) are true to form.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

I think the Sonic OVA is overrated. The English dub had some of the worse voice acting I've ever heard, even moreso than the 4Kids voice actors in fact. And THAT is an accomplishment right there.

Edited by Scorch

I think the Sonic OVA is overrated. The English dub had some of the worse voice acting I've ever heard, even moreso than the 4Kids voice actors. And THAT is an accomplishment right there.

So the only complaint about the OVA you're going to list is a quality not directly related to its original production?

EDIT: Not that I dislike the dub. It had that cheesy "so bad it's good" factor for me.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

No, that's only one reason. I also found the plot to be pretty lame, as well as the fact that they screwed some things up. For example, Serra (or however her name is spelt) blatantly could have been Amy, they made Knuckles a wanderer that travels around the world or whatever (when his role is completely different in the games- he's normally supposed to be on Angel Island, protecting the Master Emerald all that), and I didn't like how they portrayed Robotnik as a bumbling idiot (even more than his portrayals in some of the recent Sonic games). The only truly positive thing I have to say about it, is that I liked the art style. It's the only Sonic cartoon thus far to stay true to how the characters looked in the games (aside from Sonic X, of course).

Edited by Scorch

Serra (or however her name is spelt) blatantly could have been Amy

But that would've made Eggman's crush on her incredibly creepy. D=

That said, how was Eggman an idiot? He tricked Sonic into a complicated xanatos gambit, ultimately succeeding in stealing his data and nearly completing his plan. The only reason he lost was Tails's sabotaging of Metal's system, which was an oversight on his part I suppose, but not idiocy.

But that would've made Eggman's crush on her incredibly creepy. D=

Good point. I also found it odd for Robotnik, of all people, to have a crush on anybody, but maybe that's just me.

That said, how was Eggman an idiot? He tricked Sonic into a complicated xanatos gambit, ultimately succeeding in stealing his data and nearly completing his plan. The only reason he lost was Tails's sabotaging of Metal's system, which was an oversight on his part I suppose, but not idiocy.

Once again, you bring up a good point. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that they made Robotnik a bit too "nice" in this cartoon, as opposed to all the others where he was a short-tempered and emotionless villain that was bent on nothing but world conquest. I'm just more used to to the more "evil" portrayals of him, rather than some of the others, where he's used as little more than comic relief.

Edited by Scorch

Once again, you bring up a good point. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that they made Robotnik a bit too "nice" in this cartoon, as opposed to all the others where he was a short-tempered and emotionless villain that was bent on nothing but world conquest. I'm just more used to to the more "evil" portrayals of him, rather than them using him as comic relief.

Uh. How is having a nice, sensitive side "comic relief" exactly? It's adding more layers to his character, and I fail to see how character development makes him "stupid" or "comic relief." (There's a difference between "comical" and "comic relief" of course- Eggman is comical by his very nature, but he also has many deep and serious points.)

The games have very consistently portrayed Eggman in a sympathetic light. He's a deep, interesting, and very well-rounded character. I'm not sure why you see that as "idiotic." I think it takes some extremely clever writing to pull off a villain with more depth than "RAR RAR RAR I'M EVIL I'LL KILL YOU." The fact that Eggman has some good in him is a strength, not a weakness. That said, I think the OVA doesn't touch on that good side enough, given he wants to effectively cause the apocalypse, something his game counterpart would be quite opposed to doing.

That said, I think the OVA doesn't touch on that good side enough, given he wants to effectively cause the apocalypse, something his game counterpart would be quite opposed to doing.

Are you sure about that? In Sonic Adventure, I seem to remember him trying to fuel Chaos so that he could use him to destroy the world, so that he could rebuild it as "Robotnikland". He's also known for making weapons of mass destruction, such as the Death Egg.

Are you sure about that? In Sonic Adventure, I seem to remember him trying to fuel Chaos so that he could use him to destroy the world, so that he could rebuild it as "Robotnikland". He's also known for making weapons of mass destruction, such as the Death Egg.

He was trying to destroy a city, not the world. There is a difference.

Death Egg might be able to destroy a planet, but that certainly wasn't his intent- It was to intimidate the world into letting him rule it.

But as for my original point... I'm not sure how his added character depth makes him weaker as a character. I think it makes him more complex and likable. Less flat, you know.

The voice acting in this movie doesn't have that grating softness that every 4kids dub ever has had.

Death Egg might be able to destroy a planet, but that certainly wasn't his intent- It was to intimidate the world into letting him rule it.
I don't think you can really make that assumption considering the old games had no spoken dialog.

Assuming the death Egg had a laser that could destroy a planet, it could probably be turned down a bit and used as a scalpel to zap anything he wants. That said, I always got a "Because I can" vibe from the Death Egg. And you can't take all the evil out of Robotnik, or else it no longer makes sense for him to be a villain. But making him want to wipe out humanity ("We'll be the only ones left") is going a bit too far.

The voice acting in this movie doesn't have that grating softness that every 4kids dub ever has had.

I don't think you can really make that assumption considering the old games had no spoken dialog.

Assuming the death Egg had a laser that could destroy a planet, it could probably be turned down a bit and used as a scalpel to zap anything he wants. That said, I always got a "Because I can" vibe from the Death Egg. And you can't take all the evil out of Robotnik, or else it no longer makes sense for him to be a villain. But making him want to wipe out humanity ("We'll be the only ones left") is going a bit too far.

Who said anything about taking it all out? He's a complex mixture of morality- A balance of good and evil traits.

That said, yes. OVA Eggman was still lovably quirky, but definitely more psychotic and unhinged with his romantically-motivated destruction of the world scheme.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

I find it funny that romance fueled a good chunk of Eggy’s motive. He can’t be that bad if the end result of his master plan resulted in a happy ending for someone else. (from his POV anyway).

Nothing will top SatAM Robotnik in the Evil category though. Homeboy was strait heartless in that incarnation.