Awoo.

Lets talk Sonic The Movie. Your thoughts

SABRINA

I find it funny that romance fueled a good chunk of Eggy
Edited by El Gran Gordo

I liked the movie, but Metal Sonic ruined it because i hate him, and seeing how Metal Sonic was kicking Sonic´ass in the entire movie...i didn´t like it.

Sega should do more Sonic movies, or Ovas...

@ El Gran Gordo

True

But Cluck disappeared for extended periods of time after a few episodes. Interesting enough, The doctor started to become darker and darker as time went on with him separated from his bird.

Maybe SatAM Robotnik wasn’t evil, he was just languishing over his lost pet-bot. :D

In all seriousness though, look into his eyes. Those things are Black and Red. (And they totally glow in the dark).

I would rank OVA Robotnik as a strong second for the evil award. Right from the start you know that Metal Sonic’s ultimate goal is to Kill Sonic.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I would rank OVA Robotnik as a strong second for the evil award. Right from the start you know that Metal Sonic’s ultimate goal is to Kill Sonic.

I see OVA Eggman as more unstable and crazy than genuinely evil in an intentionally malicious way.

He wants to do something as illogical and murderous as destroying the Land of the Sky because he thinks it will lead to his own private dreamworld where he and his beloved can be happy. He's totally fixated on her, and his warped perception of the world leads him to declare his love the only way he knows how- Destruction of everyone else but them.

It's ridiculous and crazy, but then, that's the essence of OVA Eggman's character. A tragically psychotic man who fell in love and couldn't express it in a more healthy fashion. (A shame too, since Sera- while not reciprocal of his romantic feelings- did seem to at least like Eggman as a person, playing videogames with him, accepting gifts from him, and even telling him that he rocks in the Japanese script. One could almost think, given more time, she'd come around to liking him on a deeper level, if not for his utter insanity.)

I see OVA Eggman as more unstable and crazy than genuinely evil in an intentionally malicious way.

It's ridiculous and crazy, but then, that's the essence of OVA Eggman's character. A tragically psychotic man who fell in love and couldn't express it in a more healthy fashion. (A shame too, since Sera- while not reciprocal of his romantic feelings- did seem to at least like Eggman as a person, playing videogames with him, accepting gifts from him, and even telling him that he rocks in the Japanese script. One could almost think, given more time, she'd come around to liking him on a deeper level, if not for his utter insanity.)

I could agree to that. OVA and SatAM Robotnik’s were two different breeds. Where SatAM Eggy was doing the equivalent of booting the King into the pit-of-death, OVA was watching Sonic get his spines handed to him and enjoying every second of it.

It’s a testament to his character to say that I have liked all of the interpretations of him – including the 06 Eggman.

Oh, and Eggy rules at that Holo-VideoGame. He was taken names. His genius abilities clearly translate well to overall gaming prowess.

I loved it! It had action, humor and defined personalities. I own it on DVD too, found it in HMV about 4 years ago.

The only things I would change are the voices, remove Sara and replace her with Amy and STOP KNUCKLES FLYING.

Oh, and the theme song "Look a like". I swear to god I heard the words steak and cow in there somewhere. That made me laugh pretty hard.

Yes, she does sing about steak and cow...

"Ice and water steak and cow,

Autumn this year and last year"

Anyway, I remember when I first saw the OVA I loved it. But when I watch it now I just say "D'aww, it's really good!" It's cute too. Knuckles and his hat, Eggman daydreaming about his babies with Sara, Tails grappling onto Sara's breasts...well actually, it was hilarious most of the time. And Metal Sonic kicked ass. XP So it's not the best OVA anime but just very good. And definitely better than Sonic X, bar the voices. I'm looking at you Sonic and Tails.

I don't mind a flying Knux though, I think it's cool. X3 Look at Zero Gravity's opening cutscene for example. Knuckles doesn't really seem to glide, it looks like he's floating towards Tails.

Absoloutely awesome movie. I love it. I'd kill for a soundtrack too (I have the main theme and a rearranged version of the South Island theme but that's it. Damn do I want the music that plays during the Land of Darkness speed run).

I also really love the cast of voices for some reason. I wouldn't mind if the game voices sounded like that at all.

I have been a massive sonic fan all of my life, and one day when at a MYER store (i was probably about 5 or 6) I saw it on DVD... I was like OMG LOOK LOOK LOOK!!!

then i bought it and loved it ever since xD

It's not cannon, it's not great, it's not bad, it's not average. But it's very Sonic and just damn right fun all the way through. It's such a peculiar movie and I love it because of that.

Edited by Sonic Yoda

The OVA is my second favorite Sonic cartoon. It's the only one that accurately replicates the feel of the old games, and it's hilarious and epic at the same time. A lot of people criticize the voices, but I actually like them. Martin Burke is probably my favorite Sonic voice, and Tails sounding like a hick kid with a cold is great.

Edited by Chili Dawg

I'm a big fan of the get-away-with-anything japanese humor in the movie, and I like that the dub actually kept it in which you barely ever see in shows like this. I'm also a big fan of the theme song which is criminally catchy. It's one of those movies that I remember practically nothing about the plot sadly, but it's still fun to watch for the aforementioned humor and having great characters like the Old Man Owl (who was always pretty popular with THE LAADIEES!) and of course Sonic and Tails; who have a great bickering relationship throughout.

Edited by Tombi

Actually, I like the fact that Knuckles' voice is high. It fits his classic design to me, and it doesn't make him sound to old.

That being said, that movie has so many mature undertones it's amusing. And Sonic speaking with three different accents in the film always struck me as odd, too.

You hear the accents too!? I heard a canadian accent,and a british one

The canadian one sounds like the South Park canadians

"You're NOT MY GUY BUDDY"

"You're NOT MY BUDDY GUY!"

Yeah. the robotnik on that one really rocked. he also said my fav. line on there

"Rock a bye robot on the eggman"

I'm not sure what I think about Sonic the Movie to be honest, I like it and hate it at the same time.

As for the things I like about it... I love the animation and the way the characters look, it looks like my favourite Sonic art style, which is the one from the Sonic CD opening and ending, I also like the fact it's very SEGA-Sonicky, it's the only cartoon which reminds me more of the old games. The music is pretty good too.

Now for the things I dislike about it. I HATE Sonic and Tails' voices, they're sooo annoying, if I had to watch this in front of anyone I'd keep the volume down. The story is extremely boring, I'm really not interested in Metal Sonic and that annoying girl Sara, to be completely honest I dislike the story so much, I don't even know exactly what goes on in the movie and I've watched it over 5 times, I only watch the parts with Sonic and Tails in it, I skip the Robotnik, Sara and Metal Sonic parts.

So yeah, the only thing I really like about Sonic the Movie is the animation, the rest I very much dislike. It's my least favourite Sonic cartoon, I'd rather watch Sonic Underground than this.

A portrayal of 90s Sonic that was somewhat true to the games? I say that's good with me.

Eggman's love interest in Sera was great.

What this person says.

It's not cannon

It's canon to its own continuity. :P All the animations are separate universes from the games that have their own canon.

Anyway, yes, I've heard the accents. At the start of the movie he has a southern accent, in the middle he has no real accent other than the typical 'American" one, and at the end he has a British accent. o.o

I enjoyed the action scenes and the story line, but some of the voices were wrong and I would have liked to see Eggman's character as he was in Sonic Adventure 2. Overall, I quite enjoyed it.

Edited by Dr_Ultimate

I never saw it before, but I decided to get around to it and watched the whole thing on YouTube just now. Honestly, I'm extremely bipolar on it. I actually loved many elements, like the music, most of the characters, and the dubbing. I really like that sort of "synth jazz" if I can call it such; it had a catchy rhythm and felt straight out of a video game. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles had an enjoyable relationship; they were close friends, but they still weren't too friendly to argue. Sonic also seemed more noble with that British accent of his. Old Man Owl was just great. Pretty popular with the ladies indeed. And a lot of the dialogue and antics were just hilarious, like when Sara threatened Robotnik to not be his hostage anymore if he didn't start up the game again and those wacky tortoise-and-hare missiles.

The only things I hated were Sara and a lot of the story. Sara was just whiny and annoying and just stupid. (How can you not realize that a guy in a tux who just gave you a wedding dress wants to marry you?) It's like if they took Big the Cat, Princess Elise, and Sonic Heroes' version of Amy and rolled it into one person, who was for whatever reason, half catgirl.

I'm a bit torn on the story. A lot of it was good; Robotnik's plan was very cunning. But my main problem is that the story arc was just really jumpy and rushed. I mean, I liked how the beginning just went right into the story, but once they got to the president's office, things just got weird after that. First of all, the background for the planet itself was just shoved in when it was most convenient. Robotnik just explains the structure of the planet as if Sonic didn't already know. Giving at least some background would probably have been better as part of the prologue. It's at least a better position for it than trying to explain something that Sonic already knows, as Robotnik implied, just for the sake of conveying it to the audience. Though to be fair, that was countered by Sonic telling him "tell us something we DON'T know", but it still feels like a shoehorned explanation. And it felt unnecessary to have the two lands as two separate dimensional layers; two regions would have done just fine. It's not really a problem I have, but it just seems like something that didn't really need to be true. And then halfway through the film, they just tell us how the Land of the Sky is structured over glaciers and lava. That's something we really should have learned earlier for the sake of maintaining a smooth story arc; it's like if we learned that Hogwarts was a school for wizards halfway through Harry Potter. And why does the Land of Darkness look exactly like New York City? Is Planet Freedom supposed to be Earth in a post-apocalyptic distant future? I guess we'll never know, since it's something that was just ignored. Then after Sonic meets Metal, things get much better. But then they just sink back down at the end of the film. First of all, Sonic tries to save Metal at the end of the story. I'm sure a lot of people thought it was heartwarming, but I thought it was completely pointless for what the film was. If there was any actual, or at least HINTED, developing relationship between Sonic and Metal, I would have loved it. Fine, maybe Sonic DID have an innate bond with Metal, given Metal is made from his own mind, but there's no emotional lead up to the scene so it only comes off as an act that's just completely out of character for Sonic for the sake of being touchy. And the thing with the turtle missile at the end was funny but also a sort of deus ex machina at the same time.

In the end, I loved it for what it was, but the story was just way too rushed. There's really no time to get attached to the characters and there's no real development. And the only piece of development that IS there is just pointless. If the movie had another half or full hour dedicated to some more development of the characters and setting, or if it was a movie based of a series that already gave it preceding development, I would really have no problem with it. But the way it came out... I thought it had a lot of action, good characters, good humor, but really no heart, and that just ruined it for me, sadly. It's the weakest canon of the franchise to me (next to Sonic X), but has some of the best characters and elements. (sans Sara)

A portrayal of 90s Sonic that was somewhat true to the games? I say that's good with me.

Eggman's love interest in Sera was great.

While I hated Sara, I did enjoy Robotnik's character, including his interest in her. I think that's the side of him that was carried over into the Sonic Heroes character description. And actually, most of the characters actually resembled their modern counterparts quite well; Sonic is sassy yet brave, Tails is intelligent but also a bit childish at heart, and Knuckles is tough and independent.

Edited by SuperStingray

The dialog implied Eggman previously tried to conquer the Land of the Sky, but his plot this time is to simply destroy it and everyone on it, preserving the lives of only himself and Sera, with whom he plans to repopulate what's left of the world with his lineage.

Alas, someone should have informed him about how genetics works, a couple of generations of inbreds is the ebst he can hope for before infertility kicks in. :P;)

Proof he's truly nuts.

- Scarecrow

Wow Superstingray you sig is 1003px × 335px that's huge and it's stretching out my poor screen T-T

I want to see the return of Knuckles hat! lol

Knuckles_I_has_a_hat_by_Psyguy.png

Everyone loves the Knuckles hat lol.

I wonder where the “Hyper” Metal Sonic title got off too.

I liked almost everything abuot the movie! It was good to me, especially the middle finger Sonic stuck up! XD The only thing I disliked was the voices.

Seriously, we watched it on the Wii backwards and it was so silly, especially Eggman. Best way to watch it lol, try it,